slaytonf

The Music Box (1932): The Most Perfect Movie Ever Made

63 posts in this topic

Some other sites & books though insist these were not the same stairs?  I always thought they were myself though, but in "An Ache in Every Stake" they seemed longer?

5 hours ago, spence said:

Of the 90 of the approx 190 shorts the "Stooges" made for *Harry Cohn & Columbia-(from 1934 until 1959) I have that one on VHS as well. & "The Music Box" is perfecto, even winning the *Academy Award for Best Comedy Short, ironically the same category "The Three Stooges" were up for but lost for 1934's "Men in Black"

Comedy was golden in the 1930s. Films in general, tear jerkers, romance, and comedy was all absolutely wonderful back then. The comedy teams, which has been difficult to match since, and never even come close today in the 21st century, were fabulous. The Marx brothers, the three stooges, and Laurel and Hardy all helped in making the amazing era at the cinema. It's no wonder so many 1930s films reappeared at revival theaters in the 1960s and 1970s.

Not only in FILM, but in "stand-up" too, the comedy "team" seems to be a long gone anachronism.  Often for movies, some producer might get two or more well known and much loved comedians and/or comic actors together in the cast of some movie, but they aren't necessarily a comedy "team" as we've always thought of the term being used.  :(

Sepiatone

• Like 2

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 7:13 AM, TomJH said:

I forgot about T i t for Tat (1935). It was one of the last shorts that L & H made, and the boys (along with Charlie Hall as their store keeper nemesis) were in beautiful form. In fact, this short got an Oscar nomination, I believe.

1.LaurelHardy.jpg

Notice that impassive, observational look on Stan's face here as Ollie is getting the nose job from Charlie. That's a large part of the hilarity of their t i t for tat comedy shorts. They will dispassionately watch as their opponent sometimes makes obvious what he is about to do (cut off their tie, dump a pot of something on their head, etc.) and do nothing to prevent them from doing it. It is then their turn to strike back. Likewise, their opponent (Charlie Hall, Jimmy Finlayson) will let Stan & Ollie do whatever they are going to do his property or person before they seek their t i t for tat retribution upon them.

1321627117_6.jpg

One of the boys' best t i t for tat encounters was in their guest star appearance in the feature film Hollywood Party when they took on Lupe Velez. You just knew that Lupe could be stubborn and tough and she was a perfect matchup for them.

Other things that I've noticed in Laurel and Hardy pictures is the way they nod to the person they just hit or got back with indicating that they're done with their move. Also, the way Laurel and Hardy's opponent will just stand there and let them finish their move until it's his turn, then Laurel and Hardy will just stand there until the opponent is done his move, and they all always complete their moves with the nod.  Like when Laurel and Hardy's opponent neighbor at the store next door comes into their store and throws their watches in the blender and blends them, Laurel and Hardy stood there and waited until he had done it before it was their turn again, when they then went next door to his store and poured the honey into his cash register. In real life, a person would immediately try to grab the watches out of his hands while trying to throw them in the blender. But, the real life way would've been less funny for a Laurel and Hardy picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think too, one of their best(and most effectively used) comic vehicles was the way OLLIE( mostly) and some others would often "break the fourth wall" .  You did too, see it often from a few others in those days, but it's a vehicle not really used by many if any for years now.  It iS though, used to great effect in the TV comedy MODERN FAMILY.

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I think too, one of their best(and most effectively used) comic vehicles was the way OLLIE( mostly) and some others would often "break the fourth wall" .  You did too, see it often from a few others in those days, but it's a vehicle not really used by many if any for years now.  It iS though, used to great effect in the TV comedy MODERN FAMILY.

Sepiatone

Yes. I have noticed how Hardy will look straight at the camera (at us) sometimes, usually when he's about to make his next move on someone.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Allenex said:

Yes. I have noticed how Hardy will look straight at the camera (at us) sometimes, usually when he's about to make his next move on someone.

Yeah, or give a look of frustration or exasperation after Stan does something stupid.  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 6:54 AM, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, or give a look of frustration or exasperation after Stan does something stupid.  :D 

Sepiatone

Yes, that too, he gives that look to the camera when he's about to make a move to get back on Stan for his stupidity, or when he and Stan are about to get back on a rival which he and Stan are battling it out with.

Like with Ollie's trademark look at the camera, Stan also has that amusing look of confusion at the camera, and his scratching his head. I found it especially amusing in "Oliver the eighth" when Stan scratches his head during the invisible dinner scene, and then pretends to throw salt over his shoulder (which he has done in several other shorts when he threw real salt over his shoulder when he and Ollie were actually eating).

YOU JUST MAY BE CORRECT WITH THIS ONE

Every time I see this thread I think of the Jessica Lange movie:

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.09.33 PM.png  

• Like 1

(BIG EROR ON MY BEHALF) I'give own both the dvd & vhs of "KAE" since late ';80 & then the '90's & even had the chance to go & see it at the famed "TAMPA THEATRE" (2005)Even the top 10 greatest feature releases had a whole of to in them, "KANE" is the only one I've yet to catch a single one time

However do them then turning obviously progresse, pc & all-the rest after going to the 1926 palace I won;t return, sadly. They are banning *"GWTW" next?

But, "M. Box" is perfecto & *Roach truly deserved that *Academy Award for 1931-32 & as I've written numerous times "The Three Stooges" were up for same category for 1934's "Men in Black" but lost A takeoff on *Gable's "Men in White" by the way

(TRIVIA: Majority of Stan & Ollie's *Hal Roach shorts were actually filmed on Atlantic Avenue next to CULVER STUDIOUS-(on Thomas Ince. blvd)   (YOU ALL MUST GO VER TO EITHER seeingstars.com) or the actual Culver Studios website, still a working studio & sooo many heavyweights were shot inside it's walls/gates  *"GWTW" "KANE" *REBECCA" "DUEL IN THE SUN" "SPELLBOUND" "PORTRAIT OF JENNIE" "NOTORIOUS" & EVEN "KONG" & also at RKO. Sadly Culver doesn't allow tours though but many say you can easily view the mansion from *"GWTW" & it's facade.  In recent yrs "R. BULL" "BUGSY" THE ROCK" "A FEW GOOD MEN" "BEETLEJUICE" "MAXTRIX-TRILOGY" & a lot more, also used for game shows thesedays & also such famous tv shows  "The Untouchables" "Andy Griffith" "Batman" Pilot from "Star Trek" "Superman"-(& also on Radio's lot)   *Selznick own the factory, but Lucy bought him up & calls a certain area "The Back 40" 40 acres of the lot.  Apparently Lucy wasn't a fan of *Selznick as a person & was delighted when she took over his own "Dream Factory" & it was here when *Selznick still couldn't locate his Tara, but in 0ctober of '38 *Gable & a woman unkown in the back of the carriage-(covered in blankets) they filmed the classic Burning of Atlanta Sequence" All of a sudden *Olivier showed up to watch the burning-(using lots of his sets including from "Last of the Mohicans" "Little Lord Flauntleroy" & most amazing-(watch closely next time) those massive walls he had torched were from "KONG"  With *Olivier was *Vivien Leigh & obviously they found SCARLETT (TRIVIA: Runners-up to portray Rhett & Scarlett were Errol Flynn & P. Goddard)    THANX

1 minute ago, spence said:

Even the top 10 greatest feature releases had a whole of to in them, "KANE" is the only one I've yet to catch a single one time

But, "M. Box" is perfecto & *Roach truly deserved that *Academy Award for 1931-32 & as I've written numerous times "The Three Stooges" were up for same category for 1934's "Men in Black" but lost A takeoff on *Gable's "Men in White" by the way

(TRIVIA: Majority of Stan & Ollie's *Hal Roach shorts were actually filmed on Atlantic Avenue next to CULVER STUDIOUS-(on Thomas Ince. blvd)   (YOU ALL MUST GO VER TO EITHER seeingstars.com) or the actual Culver Studios website, still a working studio & sooo many heavyweights were shot inside it's walls/gates  *"GWTW" "KANE" *REBECCA" "DUEL IN THE SUN" "SPELLBOUND" "PORTRAIT OF JENNIE" "NOTORIOUS" & EVEN "KONG" & also at RKO. Sadly Culver doesn't allow tours though but many say you can easily view the mansion from *"GWTW" & it's facade.  In recent yrs "R. BULL" "BUGSY" THE ROCK" "A FEW GOOD MEN" "BEETLEJUICE" "MAXTRIX-TRILOGY" & a lot more, also used for game shows thesedays & also such famous tv shows  "The Untouchables" "Andy Griffith" "Batman" Pilot from "Star Trek" "Superman"-(& also on Radio's lot)   *Selznick own the factory, but Lucy bought him up & calls a certain area "The Back 40" 40 acres of the lot.  Apparently Lucy wasn't a fan of *Selznick as a person & was delighted when she took over his own "Dream Factory" & it was here when *Selznick still couldn't locate his Tara, but in 0ctober of '38 *Gable & a woman unkown in the back of the carriage-(covered in blankets) they filmed the classic Burning of Atlanta Sequence" All of a sudden *Olivier showed up to watch the burning-(using lots of his sets including from "Last of the Mohicans" "Little Lord Flauntleroy" & most amazing-(watch closely next time) those massive walls he had torched were from "KONG"  With *Olivier was *Vivien Leigh & obviously they found SCARLETT (TRIVIA: Runners-up to portray Rhett & Scarlett were Errol Flynn & P. Goddard)    THANX

& Harold Lloyd filmed a ton on the Atlantic Street too.    I've been a bonafide film buff since age of 14-16 & never even knew of CULVER STUDIOS, which is very close to what was thee grandest "Dream Factory" of a Metro-Golden-Mayer   Which thanx to K. Kirkorian is barely 40 acres from 200 & called Sony?

Couple other items to tack on    *Hal Roach-(l892-1992) yep, made it to1090! Also shot a ton of both the "Our Gang Kids" & then "L. Rascals"-(personally not among my favs whatsoever though) on Atalantic street or blvd 

The Thomas Ince I cited was of course that was shot to death aboard William Randolph Harts' yacht in 1924.

Think I saw a book on CULVER STUDIOS ONLINE A COUPLE OF TMES  I have a few studio books already myself  MY #1 is "M-G-M: When the Lion Roars" (l992 & the superb 1992 companion pic 2 to 3 hr docu.)

ANOTHER REASON TO CHECK OUT IT'S PAGE IS THERE A LOT MORE FIMS THAT HAVE BEEN THERE THEN I LISTEED, AS FAR (*www.seeingstars.com) IT MAY SOUND TACKY, BUT NOOO-(to quote John Belushi) IT COVERS VIRTUALLY EVEYTHING ON HOLLYWOOD & SURROUNDING AREAS, maps, anaylisis, restaurants, classic restaurants, cemetaries, famed locales, tourist places, tragic places, you name it & famed Hotels-(& YES, OF COURSE "THE ROOSEVELT": TOO, A PLACE I MUSTA HUNG OUT INSIDE 8 TIMES

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Strong picture (***) & of course *Jessica earned another of her 7 nods td

• Like 1

Top, do you think she deserved another *Oscar for it?  *Emma Thompson in "Howard's End" I think took it

Wonder how she's holding up with Sam Shepard gone already?

Ever see any of the few flix they did together?

I will always think of him as CHUCK YEAGER-(despite the powerhouse work given by Ed Harris in it as John Glenn, Sam was sole contender from "The Right Stuff"   & Ebert & Siskel were singing Harris' praises because he could be so superb in it, but a 180 in "Under Fire" (l983) (***1/2)

Many without pause & now that the *Academy screwed-up BIG-TIME in snubbing 0'Tool-(o for 😎 they often say Harris is our finest living actor yet to win an *Oscar  unquote

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:04 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Isn't Ed 0'Neil's character a fellow *SINATRA fan?

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Sadly Olli died in the home of I think it was his mother in laws in '57. Stan Laurel lived another 8yrs & had lg walls pout up keep out process servers  Dick Van Dyke very close to Stan';sa death got to be invited him & talk for hrs with his own Idol   HENCE: Van Dyke has a ton of Stanley in him when performing

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, Allenex said:

Other things that I've noticed in Laurel and Hardy pictures is the way they nod to the person they just hit or got back with indicating that they're done with their move. Also, the way Laurel and Hardy's opponent will just stand there and let them finish their move until it's his turn, then Laurel and Hardy will just stand there until the opponent is done his move, and they all always complete their moves with the nod.  Like when Laurel and Hardy's opponent neighbor at the store next door comes into their store and throws their watches in the blender and blends them, Laurel and Hardy stood there and waited until he had done it before it was their turn again, when they then went next door to his store and poured the honey into his cash register. In real life, a person would immediately try to grab the watches out of his hands while trying to throw them in the blender. But, the real life way would've been less funny for a Laurel and Hardy picture.

Another category that the took home, among of course with *Roach-(think he got the statue though that there in a no shape nor form will have again, no heavyewights like them, *Chaplin, *Keaton, Lloyd, Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields, Bud Abbott & Lou Costello & yes, lowbrow, but I love The Three Stooges shorts-(l934-59) only & Joe Besser makes me ill! Once they did the more kid friendly stuff with Curly Joe DeRita they got dull

2 hours ago, spence said:

Top, do you think she deserved another *Oscar for it?  *Emma Thompson in "Howard's End" I think took it

Wonder how she's holding up with Sam Shepard gone already?

Ever see any of the few flix they did together?

MUSIC BOX was released in '89, the year Jessica Tandy was awarded the Oscar (for DRIVING MISS DAISY). 

I don't think I've seen all of the films Lange did with Shepherd.

Top, your on the one the $ again, just so warned out after HELL WEEK in my household

Kim Basinger-(I rate this only ok at best film from '84 "Fool for Love" but with Shepard, matter of fact I;m no fan of Kim's that much, but I still after 34yrs rate that as her finest per. & the recently gone at 91 H. Dean Stanton almost stole this small picture (**-to **1/2)

Now 1987's "Nadine": (***) & toss-up which was her finest hour in front of the camera, but this time no Sam. A fun little comedy  Jeff Bridges & Rip Torn starred

Think her 1st film-(though tv,etc & commercials) was the well-made 1979 "From Here to Eternity" (***) but not in same league as the 53 classic   NATALIE was the lead in Kerr's role, Deane in *Burt's, S. Railsback as Prewitt, her in *Donna Reed & Peter Boyle tried to fill in the shoes of *Borgnine's Fatso Judso-(WAS THE NICEST GUY ON THIS ROCK!)

& I LOATH the music but the hit film "8 Mile" ($53m.) had her as his very mama

Among the sole 1997 *Oscars I got wrong for that legendary year of 1997 & *TITANIC" sweeping11, only 2 others have achievement this to date, it was forecasting 87yr old Gloria Start" would make history & have her named called vs *(Kim in the marvelious "L.A. Confidnential"

(FINAL NOTE: While I was in between with you,etc I write 2 kinda cool & long posts & they went bye, bye again?

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

HEY TOPBILLED BUDDY, I seemed top pe in the middle of writing to another TCM-ITE & were also helping hm on that page/thread   May have been on Westerns? However, he joined in & said he had in hix bob lots of the greatest fix yet made, recall him, I never heard of him. he was on a bicycle?   When you get a chance please try to go through your e mails on tcm & see whom it was  Lots of important data on that thread   THANX

14 minutes ago, spence said:

HEY TOPBILLED BUDDY, I seemed top pe in the middle of writing to another TCM-ITE & were also helping hm on that page/thread   May have been on Westerns? However, he joined in & said he had in hix bob lots of the greatest fix yet made, recall him, I never heard of him. he was on a bicycle?   When you get a chance please try to go through your e mails on tcm & see whom it was  Lots of important data on that thread   THANX

Okay.

10 hours ago, spence said:

Among the sole 1997 *Oscars I got wrong for that legendary year of 1997 & *TITANIC" sweeping11, only 2 others have achievement this to date, it was forecasting 87yr old Gloria Start" would make history & have her named called vs *(Kim in the marvelious "L.A. Confidnential"

Yeah, it would have been nice if Basinger and Stuart had tied. But at least Stuart was nominated. I think Basinger was truly extraordinary in L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, it would have been nice if Basinger and Stuart had tied. But at least Stuart was nominated. I think Basinger was truly extraordinary in L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

THANKS PAL!  I also will always feel Hollywood also wanted to throw a major category bone to "L.A. Confidential" Of course figuring in advance it was going to be of *"TITANIC"   Never 4-get my girl MADONNA at end of the pic program-(still think it's highest rated by Neilsen?) & she was to announce "The Biggie" opened the envelope & yelled "WOW, WHAT A SHOCKER, TITANIC" Almost sarcastically

Her fav of 3 films was previous films that swept before *"E. Patient"  Her A #1 is "To Kill a Mockingbird" & "A Place in the sun" & on that note did you see on news about 2weeks back where yet another college refuses to ever show "Mockingbird" saying it of all movies is all of a sudden rascist???

26 minutes ago, spence said:

THANKS PAL!  I also will always feel Hollywood also wanted to throw a major category bone to "L.A. Confidential" Of course figuring in advance it was going to be of *"TITANIC"   Never 4-get my girl MADONNA at end of the pic program-(still think it's highest rated by Neilsen?) & she was to announce "The Biggie" opened the envelope & yelled "WOW, WHAT A SHOCKER, TITANIC" Almost sarcastically

Her fav of 3 films was previous films that swept before *"E. Patient"  Her A #1 is "To Kill a Mockingbird" & "A Place in the sun" & on that note did you see on news about 2weeks back where yet another college refuses to ever show "Mockingbird" saying it of all movies is all of a sudden rascist???

No, I did not hear about that. Doesn't surprise me though, in this day and age.