Best Years of Our Lives

Return To Me

Holiday

An Affair To Remember

It's A Wonderful Life

Titanic

City of Angels

and Sleepless in Seattle

I saw White Cliffs Of Dover for the first time today. I have to say, this is a great film if you feel like a good cry! I cried in several scenes. Moving film. I think maybe the poetic narration just added to it.

I guess it's a bit of an odd selection for me, the top tear-jerkers are:

Casablanca

The Godfather, Part II -- the part where 9-year-old Vito arrives in America... gets me every time... the movie itself is fictional but the yearning in the faces of so many fresh immigrants doubtlessly reflects what it was actually like...

and lastly..

That's Entertainment trilogy and When the Lion Roars, because they remind me what an absolutely amazing thing MGM was during its Golden Era, and how precipitously it declined in the 50's, due to television, the ouster of Louis B. Meyer, changing audience tastes, etc. And of course by the 60's it was but a shadow of its former self, run by people who didn't really seem to care about the movie business. I'll always look back at the days of Meyer and Irving Thalberg with great nostalgia... It is absolutely amazing that MGM reportedly stayed in the black throughout the Great Depression, yet could barely stay afloat once television started pulling people away from theaters.

> > Tomorrow is Forever

>

> Thanks to TCM, this is now my favorite weepie. Had

> never seen it before they showed it this year, and

> was so moved by Orson Welles sensitive portrayal.

I really break down whenever little Natalie Wood freaked out and started crying. She was such a good child actess (and as an adult).

>

> Random Harvest

> The Ghost & Mrs. Muir

> Brief Encounter

The music in The Ghost & Mrs. Muir is so haunting and poignant. One of Hermann's best, I think.

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

Just Two! One was a made for T.V. movie starring James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. "Brian's Song". The second was the game of catch with his father... Kevin Costner in "Field of Dreams". Pass the handkerchief please.

Bartlett

I liked Brian's Song !

Never really watched Field Of Dreams.

Another good tear Jerker is

Come Back Little Sheba, That had me crying all through that movie. Ms Booth and Mr. Lancaster were perfectly matched for that film.

[nobr]//Any Mel Gibson film. As soon as his name appears in the credits I start to cry.//[/nobr]

LOL

:D

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

[nobr]kleenex_logo.gif[/nobr]

[nobr]It's tough trying to recall them. [/nobr]

With certainty though, the two that I distinctly remember not only jerked tears out of me, but also (and here's the acid test) gave me that sunken chest feeling were:

Artificial Intelligence & The Bridges Of Madison County

Others include:

Love Affair (1939)

Dumbo

The Mission

The English Patient

Captains Courageous

Bambi

Frosty The Snowman

The Elephant Man

Brief Encounter

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Man On Fire

The Best Years Of Our Lives

Bright Victory

The Dark Angel (1935)

Harold And Maude

The Hours

Madame Curie

King Kong (2005)

City Lights

Aftermath: The Remnants Of War

Spartacus

Philadelphia

Clean And Sober

Forrest Gump

[nobr]There's more, I know it, but that's enough sad memories for now.014.gif[/nobr]

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

The most recent one to work on me was this afternoon's "Goodbye, Mr Chips," the Peter O'Toole/Petula Clark musical. I remember hearing nothing but terrible things about it when it was new. I've got the LP but don't think I've ever played it. Never watched it before. HAVE watched the Donat classic.

Hey - I was impressed. PC sings, for sure; PO is at least as good as Lee Marvin (!) in that regard, or close to Rex Harrison (more to the point). By the final scenes I was really into it, and prepared for the same ending as the Donat - and just as happy for what I was watching, instead. I like this ending, too ( - - and some of you thought I was going to give a spoiler, I'll bet). Cried as much because of the change (in a good way) as for him in general. Long movie, but then I'm used to opera! And it looks gorgeous.

Attack of the Slime People, Hercules Vs. The Aztec Mummy, It's Alive ( The Tommy Kirk version from 67). The most powerful movie of all time that always makes me weepy for days has got to be anything with the Bowery Boys, truly inspiring and deep on so many layers.

There are a few movies that affect me so deeply I cannot ever watch them again:

"The Champ" with Wallace Beery & Jackie Cooper, "Captain's Courageous" with Spencer Tracy & Freddie Bartholemew and "Gigot" with Jackie Gleason. "The Yearling" with Gregory Peck & Claude Jarman Jr. is close is also one I will avoid.

True Grit When the Duke mounts his horse, and charges Robert Duvall and the rest of his gang, guns-a-blazin', it always puts a lump in my throat. To me, John Wayne is as big as movie stars can possibly get, and to see him in his later years, in such heroic moments as this, it always brings a tear to my eye. And despite what others may say, I think he was truly deserving of the Oscar he received for this movie. Yeah, it was the academy's way of righting a 30 year wrong, but it's still a wonderful performance that he gave.

Artificial Intelligence???? What in God's name did you find sympathetic in THAT? I walked out of the theater!

For one, the plot (was there one??) seemed fragmented and severely contrived, bordering on the ridiculous.

I guess there is no two-- one says it all.

I am interested in knowing your reasons for selecting that movie.

Who said Artificial Intelligence??? I'd like the know too, because I thought that movie was junk! Spielberg trying to make a Kubrick film! The man is great, but he's no STANLEY FRIGGIN' KUBRICK!!!

I've loved John Wayne as long as I can remember. It's hard to watch his last few films but I can get through "True Grit". The one I cannot watch is "The Shootist". I have never watched it all the way through, I just know it would be too much for me.

I love that scene in True Grit, too. And the last moment, when he jumps his horse over that fence...."Come see a fat old man sometime!"....

Miss G

My Foolish Heart with Dana Andrews and Susan Hayward, Ice Palace with Robby Benson, None but the Lonely Heart with Cary Grant and Ethel Barrymore. I love em all.

With me, it's kids. Adults generally make their own miseries, but kids have no defense yet. Even with the death of a parent or spouse, an adult knows that time heals, but children have no conception of time. But it's not all kids, e.g. Claude Jarman turned me off completely in the Yearling, and so did Jackie Cooper.

The ones that always get me are:

Natalie Wood - Tomorrow is Forever - "Why do all the people I love always leave me?" That just rips me up.

Roddy MacDowell - Lassie Come Home - "You're my Lassie come home".

Dumbo - Mama rocking him to sleep and humming the lullaby.

Margaret O'Brien - Journey for Margaret - the lights at the end.

To those gentlemen who responded with their lists, I thank and salute you. It takes a man to admit he has emotions which is much more appealing than the ones who scoffed. After all -- "All men are males, but not all males are men."

Anne

Sam, the movie "King Kong" (2005) got to me too. That ape was so realistic and he was sure fond of that blonde. My heart went out to him.

Mrs.

I have never seen the Ms. Wood Or Ms. O'Brien you talked about,The other two you noted especially Dumbo brings tears to my eyes.It shows the mother instincts kicking in when someone else would hurt your own child being human or animal.

also I liked your Statement to the gentlemen on the this thread,and statement about men are males but not always men. well said.

Christine

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. Although not designed to be an out-and-out tear-jerker, Frank Capra at his very best could draw out the most profound sense of emotion in anyone. And Jimmy Stewart, my favorite, gives the performance of his career. At the very end, when all seems lost, he appeals to his mentor, the equally brilliant Claude Rains, the one man in the entire world that was capable of saving him (as he was in nearly destroying him). That sequence gets to me every time, and I've seen the film about six times in the past month. It just never seems to lose its power.

I have to agree with "otterhere" and say The Yearling - no contest.

An honourable mention should be made to "The Apartment"; which I watch every Christmas. I say this because of the scene where Baxter finds out that Fran is the owner of the cracked compact mirror-and also finds that it reminds her of the way she feels. The first time I saw this scene I shed a few tears and -like CC Baxter-fell in love with the character that MacLaine plays. She was that convincing.

Billy Wilder was a genius.

Message was edited by:

dc1