Sign in to follow this  
cagney69

new years eve scenes

17 posts in this topic

Doesn't have to be a favorite,just thought this was the best place for this thread.What movies have a New Years Eve scene.I saw one in Remember the Night the other day.

The only one that comes to mind is the end of "The Divorcee," where Norma Shearer meets the loathsome Chester Morris on New Year's Eve in Paris.

i love that movie, but the ending is a huge disappointment.

Holiday Affair ends with Janet Leigh meeting up with Robert Mitchum on the New Years' Eve Special train. And also Meg Ryan/Billy Crystal - When Harry Met Sally.

Anne

Three obivious ones... well, two obvious and one to boot.

Holiday Inn

The Horns Blows at Midnight

Forrest Gump

CharlieT

My all-time favorite is in Bachelor Mother: David Niven asks Ginger Rogers out when he is stood up by his haughty girlfriend. Ginger knows the score, but she agrees to go; her landlady looks after the baby. They trick his friends into believing she is a Swedish girl visiting the United States--one who can't speak a word of English. Ginger is hilarious in this scene, especially when they happen to run into the snotty girlfriend! Then there is a very sweet scene in the middle of Times Square that I've always wanted to re-enact with my husband... only I don't think it would be quite the same in today's Times Square.

Here are a couple of more:

The Apartment (Jack Lemmon)

Holiday (Cary Grant)

Penny Serenade (Cary Grant)

Sleepless In Seattle

While You Were Sleeping

Someone Like You

Waterloo Bridge has a great scene that's not actually a New Year's Eve scene, but, they dance to Auld Lang Syne.

Out of Africa..Meryl Streep and Robert Redford are dancing at a New Years Eve party.

Then there's Showboat (the Irene Dunne version.) And wasn't The Poseidon Adventure set at New Year's Eve?

CharlieT

Of course there's the New Years Party with only one guest (Jack Nicholson) and a bunch of ghosts in 1980's "The Shining".

vallo

Another fan of Bachelor Mother's new years eve scene. Probably my favorite, Ginger is wonderful and so is David Niven. I like to see him get goofy. The new year scene is very sweet, I think they work very well together.

On a happier note, when the doctor tells Glenn Ford and Anne Francis that their baby is going to live and says "Happy New Year", and clicks on the radio in "The Blackboard Jungle".

Bartlett

The New Years Eve scene from Sunset BLVD Has to be my Favorite...but then I think that that is also my Favorite Talkie...