Sign in to follow this  
Vintageglam

How To Steal A Million (1966)

21 posts in this topic

How To Steal A Million is a 20th Century Fox film. Although TCM occasionally plays Fox movies - it's holdings are usually limited to the extensive Warner/MGM/Selznick/RKO/Monogram/Republic film libraries of which they are the custodians. Your best bet to see 'Million' is to look for it on Fox Movie Channel where it has played frequently in the past. Or just run out and buy the DVD. The title is currently available as part of Fox's Studio Series and looks absolutely fabulous.

I have the vhs but will be getting the dvd eventually. One of my favorite 60s romantic comedies. Peter and Audrey are tres charmantes...I think Audrey did more to drum up tourism for Paris than probably any other actress. ;)

I think TCM did air this once because I remember Robert Osbourne talknig about it.

Miss G

MissG, you and your superb graphics..

This probably wasn't intended to be an 'ensemble film' but there are so many wonderful supporting performances, and all of these make repeated viewings even more fun. I should ask Eli Wallach how he views his performance - it may have been a 'mere job' at the time, or maybe 'silly' - but he is just about perfect for his character and his character's place in the story.

It's amazing to compare this performance to his LINEUP (1958?) performance. That's quite a change in characters, and completely within Eli's gleaming eyes.

Hugh Griffith turns in his standard performance, but that's just about perfect, too.

And the museum guards are just great in their roles.

My sister bought that movie a few weeks ago, but we haven't watched it yet. i'm glad to hear you all like it, i'll have to watch it as soon as i get the chance!

I recently saw this movie at the Stanford Theater in California. They had an Audrey Hepburn double feature!! I had never heard of it and it's definitely a cute movie!!!

I'm sure you can tell by my screen name that I'm a HUGE Audrey Hepburn fan, and I absolutely LOVE HTSAM! It's hilarious!

My favorite line is from Peter O'Toole when they are in the closet together. He kisses her and then puts his fingers on her lips before leaving. Then he says "Just marking my place". That makes me SWOOONNN!

Andrea

I am a huge Audrey Hepburn fan and I adore this movie. I bought it at Borders when I was starting out with Audrey's films, but I did not know much about it. It is relatively unknown in comparison to her other movies, but it's got to be one of my favorites. I love her style in this movie and the storyline was very cute. I wish there were many more movies with her, as I have seen them all and can't get enough of her!

> {quote:title=Audreygirl2007 wrote:}{quote}

> I replied to this a while back but I wanted to say that a couple of summers ago I had the wonderful fortune of seeing this on the big screen. What a treat!

wow you are very lucky audreygirl, i only once watched this on tv a while back, remember it is a lot of fun, audrey and o'toole are a very cute couple, dontcha think?

I really enjoyed this movie and got the DVD a while back.  The 1960s had quite a few "caper" movies (The Thomas Crown Affair, Gambit, Ocean's 11, The Italian Job, The Pink Panther, just to name a few) and How to Steal a Million is one of the best.  I thought Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole were great together and it was nice to see Audrey paired with someone closer to her own age.  As per usual, Audrey has great clothes.  I especially loved the black lace dress she wears.  She always looked so chic in her films.  I really enjoy the caper movies and even though the leads are committing a crime, I'm always rooting for them and hope they get away.  Just to keep the Hollywood ending intact, they usually do; even though they're criminals.

I really enjoyed this movie and got the DVD a while back.  The 1960s had quite a few "caper" movies (The Thomas Crown Affair, Gambit, Ocean's 11, The Italian Job, The Pink Panther, just to name a few) and How to Steal a Million is one of the best.  I thought Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole were great together and it was nice to see Audrey paired with someone closer to her own age.  As per usual, Audrey has great clothes.  I especially loved the black lace dress she wears.  She always looked so chic in her films.  I really enjoy the caper movies and even though the leads are committing a crime, I'm always rooting for them and hope they get away.  Just to keep the Hollywood ending intact, they usually do; even though they're criminals.

How to Steal A Million is a movie I really need to see.   I have seen parts of it,  here and there,  over the years,  but for some strange reason have never watched the entire movie from start to end.

I'm a big fan of both stars.   So an additional crime being committed here is by me!

How to Steal A Million is a movie I really need to see.   I have seen parts of it,  here and there,  over the years,  but for some strange reason have never watched the entire movie from start to end.

I'm a big fan of both stars.   So an additional crime being committed here is by me!

I think you'd enjoy it.  I love the caper movies-- especially the 60s ones.  They all seemed to have a certain aesthetic and style and it was fun to see them get away with "the prize" in the end.  Usually whomever they're stealing from probably had it coming anyway, so I don't usually feel bad for the victim.  It's fun when there are plot twists, clues, etc. included in the story. 

Plus, who doesn't love Audrey Hepburn?  Even in something dismal like Love in the Afternoon, she at least, is usually enjoyable.

I have the vhs but will be getting the dvd eventually. One of my favorite 60s romantic comedies. Peter and Audrey are tres charmantes...I think Audrey did more to drum up tourism for Paris than probably any other actress. ;)

I think TCM did air this once because I remember Robert Osbourne talknig about it.

Miss G

Yes, TCM has shown Million a couple of times now. I dont think its been shown any time recently though.....