Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer88

Need variety in movies

6 posts in this topic

Are others bored as I am with  the lack of variety in movies shown on a given day?  They highlight an artist such as Betty Davis or Gary Cooper or some other actor all day.  Or all movies are westerns or about airplanes or war or a certain year such as 1933.

I realize this makes it easier for those selecting what to show but variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes, and it would be more enjoyable to have a mix. 

If this continues, we will cancel our subscription and go to streaming with Netflix.

I've written Turner Classic Movies but no response.

Be interested in hearing others' views on this.

Are others bored as I am with  the lack of variety in movies shown on a given day?  They highlight an artist such as Betty Davis or Gary Cooper or some other actor all day.  Or all movies are westerns or about airplanes or war or a certain year such as 1933.

I realize this makes it easier for those selecting what to show but variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes, and it would be more enjoyable to have a mix. 

If this continues, we will cancel our subscription and go to streaming with Netflix.

I've written Turner Classic Movies but no response.

Be interested in hearing others' views on this.

How long have you been watching TCM?   I ask because it sounds like for only a month or two.

August is always Summer Under the Stars;  This means ONE actor each day.   This is why Davis was on all day (for example).

Prior to this TCM had a special related to westerns.    This is why they showed a lot of westerns BUT we can expect less in the near future now that this special is over.

Bottom Line is that TCM does have specialty programming like Star of the Month (one 'star' featured in a month, all day, one day a week,  so 4 - 5 days in that month).    

Otherwise their programming is 85% or so pre-1970 films mostly from Warner Bros, MGM,  and RKO with Paramount, Columbia, 20th Century Fox and Universal a lot less often (due to leasing 'issues' with these studios).

How long have you been watching TCM?   I ask because it sounds like for only a month or two.

August is always Summer Under the Stars;  This means ONE actor each day.   This is why Davis was on all day (for example).

Prior to this TCM had a special related to westerns.    This is why they showed a lot of westerns BUT we can expect less in the near future now that this special is over.

Bottom Line is that TCM does have specialty programming like Star of the Month (one 'star' featured in a month, all day, one day a week,  so 4 - 5 days in that month).    

Otherwise their programming is 85% or so pre-1970 films mostly from Warner Bros, MGM,  and RKO with Paramount, Columbia, 20th Century Fox and Universal a lot less often (due to leasing 'issues' with these studios).

Good post james. I suggest the OP wait another month or two before giving up on TCM. Throughout the year, there is plenty of variety.

While this is an old thread,it still applies -TCM should diversify their categories of films shown thru the  day. Today(11/21/2017) is an example-seven Drama's(4 shown  consecutively).  Today's example is popular only to someone who 'binges' ;certainly not what the majority of viewers prefer(unless they're confined to a TV for whatever reason). Less frequent repeating of movies,and especially rotating viewing times of the same movie(i.e.-if last shown in the AM,show in PM next) will also improve viewer enjoyment significantly.

Come on,TCM can and has done much better in the past providing an entertaining  mixture of genre throughout the day and evening( after all,at least half of our country is still employed thru the day....)

Sam in IN (longtime TCM viewer)

• Like 1

I have been watching TCM for nearly 40 years and while some movies were repeated it was never this bad.  When Robert Osborne became ill it started going down hill and once he passed it got worse.  For example, they have shown Places In The Heart, Age of Innocence several times this year, usually in the same month and sometimes in the same week; these are just two examples and I could list many more.  Another example is Rear Window, it was the repeat of the Essential that had aired about three months ago and then shown again the next Wednesday as part of the line-up for the star of the month Jimmy Stewart.  The same thing has happened several times this month with their Backlot and Veterans Day guest programmers.  The movies are all good, but the repeated airings are making it become just like ACM.  (More about this on paragraph 3).

The Essentials are being repeated and they barely aired for three months.  Is this going to be a permanent thing?  I realize that Alec Baldwin is extremely popular right now and he also had three young children and another on the way but if he doesn't have the time then they need to find someone who does.  Would Illena Douglas, Drew Barrymore, Keith Carradine or many of the excellent other guest hosts consider it if AB cannot commit?  Does Ben not want to do more? 

We might as well face it, no one will ever be able to replace Robert Osborne, we the longtime fans can only hope for someone to honor his memory and legacy and not destroy the network!  I had hoped that it would get better, unfortunately it's gotten worse.  Seems like all they care bout now is Backlot, the Wine Club, Festival and cruise; they care more about money and have neglected quality.   An experienced, good programmer could take all these different hosts and their movie choices into account; they could tape or for the Skype hosts sound them out in advance or even tape them and plan accordingly so the excessive repeats stop.  This would allow TCM to have their Backlot members and all the other special guest programmers to air their favorites.  As I am writing this they are airing I Remember Mama and this is either the third or fourth time just this month; Mrs. Miniver just aired for the third time this month; this is not counting all the other times they have aired this year.  I realize that they were showing family movies for Thanksgiving but there are many other choices that could have been selected and that the programmer should have caught.  I just caught Ben's introduction for Cheaper By the Dozen and except for the first few sentences referencing the holiday and family he repeated almost verbatim what he said earlier this month when they aired the movie.  I'm beginning to believe that not only was Robert Osborne the host and face of the network as well as the historian, I think he was also the programmer!  It doesn't matter, it's obvious that they need someone that can do the job and offer the variety that he did!

Like so many others, I was disappointed by their choice of Tiffany Vazquez as the Saturday Host but I just muted the TV when she was on and watched the movie.  Now there is no Saturday Host and while I don't mind it seems odd because they have had one for so very long. 

I own most of these movies in my extensive collection, I prefer watching TCM instead of repeatedly having to put a new movie in but if it doesn't get better soon I am planning on getting rid of this channel and watching my collection.  If I did this I wouldn't repeat the moves as frequently as they have been for almost two years.  Until I do cancel, I am going to compile the schedules for each month and see how many times they show all the movies, especially those first two listed in paragraph one which has been repeated ad nauseam this year.  I will take into account Summer Under the Stars, the Oscar salute and Christmas, Memorial Day, July 4th and all the other holidays as I have done for many years.

I have also contacted TCM several times over the last three years without a response, this just shows that they don't care bout the viewers unless they are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on their "extras"!

Edited by CLASSICMOVIEDLUVRNTN
Update

On 11/23/2017 at 11:20 AM, CLASSICMOVIEDLUVRNTN said:

I have been watching TCM for nearly 40 years and while some movies were repeated it was never this bad.  When Robert Osborne became ill it started going down hill and once he passed it got worse.  For example, they have shown Places In The Heart, Age of Innocence several times this year, usually in the same month and sometimes in the same week; these are just two examples and I could list many more. 

I have also contacted TCM several times over the last three years without a response, this just shows that they don't care bout the viewers unless they are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on their "extras"!

First things first: if you want more people to respond or comment on your topic, you should post it in the General Discussions forum up above. This section of the message board is for the TCM Film Festival held annually in Los Angeles, and is not about the TCM TV channel. It's not that big of a deal to post this here, it's just that the vast majority of people do not look in this section, as the vast majority of viewers do not attend the Film Festivals.

Secondly, you seem to be prone to exaggeration. You've watched TCM for nearly 40 years? That's amazing since it has only been on the air since 1994. As for movies being repeated, it's not as bad as you've described, and there is proof available if you care to look. There are threads, such as the one linked here:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/53150-tcm-schedules/

that show the schedules going back a while. That thread only goes back to 2013, but it should provide enough information for general trends pertaining to perceived increases in repeats. There is another poster who has compiled a massive database showing nearly every film shown on TCM over the past 23 years, as well as how many times they've been shown since the channel started and even when they aired. Here is the user's profile, which contains a link to his database:

http://forums.tcm.com/profile/45430-moviecollectoroh/

I couldn't really say if they are repeating movies more frequently than they used to. I don't watch movies on TCM that I've already seen. If I liked it, I most likely purchased a copy on DVD or Blu-Ray. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't watch it again. And I've seen a lot of movies, so most of the schedules are things that I've already seen, and that's been the case for years now. I will say that TCM does not replay movies with the frequency of other channels, which tend to repeat a given title 4, 5 or even 6 times in a given month.

As for the hosts, yeah, I miss Robert Osborne too, but the intros/outros are not as important to me as they are to other viewers. I also tend to record all of the TCM I want to see, and watch it at a later time rather than watching the channel live, so sometimes I just fast forward through the intros if they seem banal or are covering information that I'm already aware of. 

• Like 1