Sign in to follow this  
eltone

What famous actor do I, as an actor, sound like?

16 posts in this topic

I made a film called "The Man From Planet X", I was the lead male role. My name is Robert Clarke. If you close your eyes and listen to my voice you would swear it was Rock Hudson. Buy the DVD from TCM and see. Made in 1951 also starring Margaret Field, directed By Edgar G. Ulmer, made by the Sherrill C. Corwin Co. with Mid Century Film Productions, 13 December to late December 1950 at Hal Roach Studios. Realeased on April 27, 1951, World premiere in San Francisco March 9, 1951, in New York on April 7, 1951. Distributed by United Artists in the U.S. only.

The majority of Mel Blanc's career was doing all the voices in the Warner Bros. Cartoons. He wasn't the first voice of Porky Pig, but when the man who voiced Porky died, Mel took over. His son, Noel Blanc, was going to take over his career when Mel died. But he wasn't good enough. I made a demo reel for my friend in New York, this was in the early 80's, his name was Jeff (last name left out intentionally,) and he got the job replacing Mel, also is the voice of "Charlie the Tuna", "The Pillsbury Dough Boy". and many others.

I made a film called "The Man From Planet X", I was the lead male role. My name is Robert Clarke.

Mr. Clarke, there's just one slight problem with your posts. Of course, I realize I shouldn't criticize anything in any of your posts here because it's remarkable you could even type them...considering you died in 2005.

http://www.tcmdb.com/participant/participant.jsp?spid=35166&apid=131473

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0164967/

I am so sorry that you didn't realize from the viewpoint the question was asked. Obviously I am not Mr. Clarke, the question was asked only for the enjoyment of finding these little curious circumstances that are similar to each other and discovering them. It's just like every time you read the same book (the bible), you always learn something new. Maybe not you but the General, universal, you. Not the individual you. However, look at the opportunity I gave for the individual you to voice your opinion. There now isn't that fun.

However, look at the opportunity I gave for the individual you to voice your opinion. There now isn't that fun.

Just loads. Just as an ordinary poster might say, "Hey, does anyone else here think Robert Clarke sounds like Rock Hudson?" Or as someone other than myself might say, "Hey, doesn't eltone sound remarkably like someone who is patronizing?"

I am so glad you are in the spirit of fun that this sight provides for classic film lovers like you, who enjoy these fun discussions. Try not to take it personally, I didn't write this thinking of you only or to get your anger up and ruin your whole day.May God Bless you and open your heart to the love and joy there is in life, rather than thinking everything is an attack on you i.e. Paranoia. Question: when you watch TV do you think they are talking to you? Peace be with you.

The majority of Mel Blanc's career was doing all the voices in the Warner Bros. Cartoons. He wasn't the first voice of Porky Pig, but when the man who voiced Porky died, Mel took over. His son, Noel Blanc, was going to take over his career when Mel died. But he wasn't good enough. I made a demo reel for my friend in New York, this was in the early 80's, his name was Jeff (last name left out intentionally,) and he got the job replacing Mel, also is the voice of "Charlie the Tuna", "The Pillsbury Dough Boy". and many others.

Warner's cartoon character voices are currently done by Bob Bergen; I have no doubt that, in the not too-distant future, they will again be voiced by Mel Blanc when a computer program is developed that will be able to reconfigure all his past work into new dialogue -- union rules permitting.

I made a film called "The Man From Planet X", I was the lead male role. My name is Robert Clarke. If you close your eyes and listen to my voice you would swear it was Rock Hudson. Buy the DVD from TCM and see.

I really did think, myself, when you started this thread that you were supposed to be Robert Clarke (not knowing anything about him and not checking IMDB at the time). I later began to decide that possibly this thread was in the same vein as "Do You Know Me" items we've been working on for so long. A clearer beginning would have helped (and avoided ruffling other people). If you haven't seen it on other posts, there are people just waiting to pounce!

But you've been sharing some interesting material with us. Thanks.

Bill

Thank you for your polite response. I am sorry I entered the info incorrectly. Forgive me if I have caused any trouble TCM is my favorite channel of all time. I would never want to cause any trouble or confusion. Your response taught me the correct way to use this website, I thank you and may God Bless you and TCM and the great work you do. Sincerely Eltone.

> The majority of Mel Blanc's career was doing all the

> voices in the Warner Bros. Cartoons.

I met Mel back in the late '70s. I did an interview with him for a CB radio magazine. He used to go on the air and talk to people around LA and tourists driving through town. He would do his Warner Brothers cartoon voices. People said he was very good and sounded just like the characters. When he told them he WAS the characters, they didn't believe him.

He was a very nice guy and had hundreds of old stories about Hollywood.

He told me that he was living in Seattle or some place north of LA when he was about to turn 20. He said he and a brother or a cousin discussed future careers and they decided to go to Hollywood to see if they could get into the movies as actors.

He said he went around to the studios and no one needed him, but one studio (I think Warner Brothers) just happened to need someone who could do voices for cartoons, so they did a test with him. He said he didn't know he could do voices for cartoons. He said he had never thought about it before. But he did some funny voices for them and was hired.

> He told me that he was living in Seattle or some

> place north of LA when he was about to turn 20. He

> said he and a brother or a cousin discussed future

> careers and they decided to go to Hollywood to see if

> they could get into the movies as actors.

>

> He said he went around to the studios and no one

> needed him, but one studio (I think Warner Brothers)

> just happened to need someone who could do voices for

> cartoons, so they did a test with him. He said he

> didn't know he could do voices for cartoons. He said

> he had never thought about it before. But he did some

> funny voices for them and was hired.

Very interesting, that, FredC. Stan Freberg tells pretty much the same story about himself in his memoirs, as I recall. He was a kid of about 17, and wanted to be a radio announcer. He went around to various radio stations and studios in LA, and happened to go into the WB cartoon studios to ask for a job. A man in the reception area took him by the arm into a studio where Mel Blanc was recording, handed Freberg a script, and he and Blanc started recording voices for a cartoon. I think it was one with Bugs Bunny and a dopey hunting dog (that was Freberg - you know - "Which way did he go, George?"). Since only Mel Blanc got screen credit, no one knew that the other voice was a teenage Stan Freberg. Apparently, things were handled very casually at WB cartoons.

Wow, what an opportunity he had.Thank you for this information. I would have never known. I recorded commercials for radio & TV in N.Y.C. and got to learn a lot of trivia, but I never knew this and I am a big fan of Mel Blancs talent. In fact I recorded a video demo for my friend of a Bugs Bunny cartoon with Mel's voice and sfx's on one track and Jeff's voice on the other track. Guess what, he beat Noel Blanc, Mel's son, out of the job. He does a lot of character voices for commercials. Thank you for your response, I love to learn these trivia info.