Sign in to follow this  
PrinceSaliano

BETTE DAVIS' DAUGHTER, B.D. HYMAN

43 posts in this topic

OK, I admit when I saw the topic header, I thought it was going to be a death announcement. Otherwise, I don't really care.

OK, I admit when I saw the topic header, I thought it was going to be a death announcement. Otherwise, I don't really care.

You don't care if someone's alive...only if they've died? Is that what you're saying? LOL

• Like 1

I think he's implying he's known this about BD Hyman for a long time.

B.D. Hyman (who appeared in Baby Jane) is now a born again minister and you can catch her on youtube. It's fascinating!

PASS!

Well, c'mon here, folks.

I'm sure you have known people who have had a "bad childhood"(or at least claim to have had), and then later in life find solace in either drugs or alcohol.

(...or religion)

When I saw Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? first run, I was just in grade school and had no idea that the girl next door was Bette's daughter.

I thought BD was good in the role.

Despite whatever issues she may have had with her mother - - by all accounts her mother treated her well and was quite generous with her.

• Like 1

She is no fan of her mother's and blames her son's mental illness on Bette! She says some far out things but I find her youtube videos  fascinating nonetheless.

• Like 1

As B.D. Hyman grew older, she was intent on destroying her famous mother's reputation.

Once, on the Academy Awards, even Bette Davis acknowledged that her daughter was doing a good job of destroying her reputation.

I remember a TV interview in which she brought out her young son to talk about how awful his grandmother was.

But Bette Davis has said that she was a good mother to her daughter.

B.D. Hyman's book on her famous mother was an attempt to duplicate the success of Christina Crawford's so-called memoir, "Mommie Dearest".

I am very familiar with BD's allegations about her mother which I never viewed as credible. Her book definitely smelled like a post Mommie Dearest money grab. I recall Gary Merrill vigorously defending Bette after the book' publication. If religion now assuages her guilt, good for BD, but truthfulness is not her strength.

• Like 1

I saw clips of BD Hyman (or "Hyman" as Bette Davis referred to her after "the book") on a documentary I watched about Bette Davis.  Hyman is a real piece of work.  

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the Saturday Night Live skits where Jan Hooks portrayed Bette Davis?  She did it on at least two occasions.  One was where Wayne Gretzky was the guest host, and I think she was in the locker room after Gretzky's team had just won a big hockey game.  It was pretty comical.  In the same show, she did a spoof of beach movies and was an Ann-Margaret type character whose father was trying to bring a pro hockey franchise to Hawaii!

The other portrayal was part of Miss Davis' video will after she had died.  In the video, she says something like, "And to my daughter B.D., who wrote a nasty tell-all book about me....I leave....absolutely NOTHING!", which was followed by maniacal laughter on her part.  Every time the video will was fast-forwarded and stopped, she was still laughing about it.  I really miss Jan Hooks.  Like so many who brought laughter and enjoyment to the performing arts, she died way too soon.  

• Like 3

LOL. Me too. Why is this news? She's been a minister for some time.

She is no fan of her mother's and blames her son's mental illness on Bette! She says some far out things but I find her youtube videos  fascinating nonetheless.

She blames Bette for her son's mental illness and not herself? LOL.

She is no fan of her mother's and blames her son's mental illness on Bette!

What?!  Is it 1960 and we still think mental illness is caused by bad mothers, or in this case bad grandmothers?  I guess it could be worse, she could be  one of those preachers who think mentally ill people are possessed by demons.

What?!  Is it 1960 and we still think mental illness is caused by bad mothers, or in this case bad grandmothers?  I guess it could be worse, she could be  one of those preachers who think mentally ill people are possessed by demons.

How do you know she's not?

Though I do think we should respect each person's right to practice a certain religion, if it helps them in a good way.

• Like 1

She's really OUT THERE.  She probably does.

Though I do think we should respect each person's right to practice a certain religion, if it helps them in a good way.

Well, certainly, TB!

However, and unfortunately, it seems the idea of it helping them "in a good way", i.e., an avenue toward someone learning to either cope with their own "demons" and/or learn acceptance and/or giving them personal comfort is a rare thing now days, wouldn't ya say?!

(...nope, sorry dude, but I seem to see it being "politicized" WAY to damn much now days!!!)

I do respect other's religion and I don't mind a bit if  they are  handling snakes, worshiping trees or anything else that gives them comfort,  but when what helps them starts to harm others then I speak up.  People with bi-polar and schizophrenia suffer from serious brain diseases for which they need real medical help.  Telling them they are possessed by demons and need an exorcism is as cruel as taking someone to the church for prayers when they're having a heart attack.

• Like 1

Well, certainly, TB!

However, and unfortunately, it seems the idea of it helping them "in a good way", i.e., an avenue toward someone learning to either cope with their own "demons" and/or learn acceptance and/or giving them personal comfort is a rare thing now days, wouldn't ya say?!

(...nope, sorry dude, but I seem to see it being "politicized" WAY to damn much now days!!!)

Dargo--

I don't think I understand your post here at all.

Religion is such a broad topic it's hard to generalize in such a manner.

There are so many different kinds of religions and so many millions of people in the world who practice these different kinds of religions-- that I don't quite understand what you're talking about in terms of being politicized.

Human beings are Political Animals and that's just part of life.

I hardly think it's rational to condemn all religions because some religions you may not approve of or dislike.

People certainly do have freedom of religion in this country and in many others.

And I don't understand why people who are not religious think they have a right to condemn people who are religious.

That would just be like saying I don't like something so another person doesn't have a right to like it either.

I'm a live-and-let-live person - - also I think people have a right to their own lifestyle and opinions.

It's such a broad topic that I really don't know where you're trying to go with it.

She blames Bette for her son's mental illness and not herself? LOL.

I don't know if mental illness is considered to necessarily be hereditary - - but Bette's sister was in and out of mental institutions all her life.

There may be some cause and effect there.

I do respect other's religion and I don't mind a bit if  they are  handling snakes, worshiping trees or anything else that gives them comfort,  but when what helps them starts to harm others then I speak up.  People with bi-polar and schizophrenia suffer from serious brain diseases for which they need real medical help.  Telling them they are possessed by demons and need an exorcism is as cruel as taking someone to the church for prayers when they're having a heart attack.

YEP!

Your post reminds me of my own dearly departed father, AD. That ol' Hoosier boy's mother was a devout Christian Scientist. In 1934 and when he was 14, his father cut his foot on some old rusty piece of Iron and it soon became gangrenous. His mother wouldn't allow his father to see a doctor because of her beliefs, Pop's father died about a year later at age 62. And so, at 15 years of age, Pop had to quit school and get a job in efforts to support the family.

(...and THIS is why Pop told me he disavowed his mother's beliefs from then on out...because, as he used to say, "IF God created all, then it's DAMN sure He created DOCTORS too!")

• Like 1

Well, certainly, TB!

I don't think spiritualism has to be politicized. These are not necessarily related things.

In the case of B.D. Hyman, my take is it's a sad case of a little girl who didn't feel her mother loved her enough. When she grew up, and after she wrote a book (which forever broke her relationship with her famous mother), she tried to find that sense of love with others in Christianity. So looking at it that way, she's a person to feel sorry for and hopefully she's come to some sort of inner peace.

• Like 1

It's such a broad topic that I really don't know where you're trying to go with it.

Probably to the Off-Topics...

• Like 1

I don't know if mental illness is considered to necessarily be hereditary - - but Bette's sister was in and out of mental institutions all her life.

Are you talking about Bette's sister or B.D.'s sister? Bette and Gary adopted a girl who was later institutionalized. She would have been B.D.'s younger sister, but not related to any of them by blood.