rayban

Random Alerts!

311 posts in this topic

Today, on TCM, two early Tab Hunter flicks that start at 12:30 in the afternoon - "The Steel Lady" (1953) and "Return To Treasure Island" (1954) - he was one of the most handsome men to ever grace the silver screen - and he had an extremely masculine presence on the silver screen, too.

Usually seen as a sex symbol for young girls in the '50's, he was that - and more.

Jack Warner, who never asked him about his sexual orientation, was a fan.

And he was one of the few stars to have actually survived a "Confidential" magazine expose.

I would like to recommend the current documentary, "Tab Hunter Confidential".

Despite the hostile environment at the time of his stardom, Mr. Hunter rarely addressed his sexuality, he managed to survive and be remembered.

An icon today, for gay men everywhere, who insisted on a life AND a career.

And who understood that "gay" did not mean "fairy".

5273a03d0682d70ab3f843093529c903-29397.j

• Like 1

Thanks, Jarrod -

E.A. Dupont, who was a successful silent-film director in Germany, directed Tab Hunter in "The Steel Lady" and "Return to Treasure Island".

Tab Hunter thinks that he was able to make something out of the non-existent budget of "The Steel Lady".

But Tab Hunter wasn't happy with the second film.

He jokes that, right after the film, his co-star, Dawn Addams married a prince and moved to Italy.

A friend told him that he shouldn't worry about the quality of the film, because it would only play in drive-in theaters.

But, as you watch both of these films, essentially low-budget programmers, you are witnessing "a star in the making".

Whatever Tab Hunter might have thought about his performances, he was definitely an actor whom you wanted to watch.

Watch, and appreciate. 

• Like 1

I managed to catch THE STEEL LADY on Amazon Prime a few months ago and I enjoyed it.

RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND was also on Amazon Prime, plus it aired on TCM a few years ago during one of Robert Osborne's medical leaves. Robert Wagner was the guest/replacement host that particular evening, which was devoted to Tab Hunter films. They played the western he made with Van Heflin which is very good (GUNMAN'S WALK). And when they got to the Treasure Island film, Wagner smiled wryly and said that all of them had to make these kinds of pictures when they were younger and paying their dues in Hollywood.

• Like 1

I managed to catch THE STEEL LADY on Amazon Prime a few months ago and I enjoyed it.

RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND was also on Amazon Prime, plus it aired on TCM a few years ago during one of Robert Osborne's medical leaves. Robert Wagner was the guest/replacement host that particular evening, which was devoted to Tab Hunter films. They played the western he made with Van Heflin which is very good (GUNMAN'S WALK). And when they got to the Treasure Island film, Wagner smiled wryly and said that all of them had to make these kinds of pictures when they were younger and paying their dues in Hollywood.

The very real stardom of Tab Hunter invalidates the belief that a gay man cannot be persuasively masculine on the big screen.

• Like 1

The very real stardom of Tab Hunter invalidates the belief that a gay man cannot be persuasively masculine on the big screen.

Well, I think Rock Hudson also proved that.

• Like 2

The new biography of Mary Martin details her love affair with Jean Arthur.

And the author's contention that she was basically asexual.

Plus the fact that she was married to a gay man, who devoted his life to her "star persona".

Gay men often figure in the lives of prominent female stars.

The new biography of Mary Martin details her love affair with Jean Arthur.

And the author's contention that she was basically asexual.

Plus the fact that she was married to a gay man, who devoted his life to her "star persona".

Gay men often figure in the lives of prominent female stars.

I thought she had a long-time relationship with Janet Gaynor. The Jean Arthur angle is news to me.

• Like 1

I thought she had a long-time relationship with Janet Gaynor. The Jean Arthur angle is news to me.

This is a complicated subject because some people are bisexual--

I would definitely put Marlene Dietrich in the bisexual category.

• Like 1

Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York is calling for applicants for a planned memorial that will honor the LGBT community and its' fight for equality.

He has set aside $800,000 for the project.

The deadline is November 21st of this year.

The memorial will be built in Hudson River Park in the West Village (NYC).

It's a great idea - and good luck to all. 

• Like 1

Howard Hughes' "The Outlaw" will be on TCM Sunday morning at 10:PM.

Can we all thank Jarrod?

• Like 1

Howard Hughes' "The Outlaw" will be on TCM Sunday morning 

Can we all thank Jarrod?

LOL...I'm a little disappointed that Warren Beatty's upcoming biopic about Hughes avoids the whole Buetel relationship.

• Like 1

"Turing's Law", which would have erased the criminal records of nearly 50,000 gay men before Britian's **** laws were repealed in 1967, has just been voted down in committee by the British parliament.

The measure was introduced by MP John Nicholson.

There had been a 2015 petition that asked for pardons for gay men who were criminalized for consensual gay sex that had been signed by half a million petitioners. 

One of those petition-signers was Benedict Cumberbatch who played Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game".

Turing himself became famous for breaking the Nazis' Enigma Code and turning around the course of World War II.

Later, he was convicted of homosexuality and forced into a chemical castration.

It is believed that he did commit suicide.

Reportedly, there is a rival bill in the British Parliament that would delete the criminal records of all DEAD gay men.

The treatment of Alan Turing and gay men in England before 1967 is such a blot on England itself.

What is wrong with telling 50,000 gay men who were criminalized in the past that what they were doing was not wrong and that England itself is apologizing?

You can imagine the paralyzing fear of actors like Dirk Bogarde, who wouldn't come out of the closet even after 1967.

• Like 1

"Turing's Law", which would have erased the criminal records of nearly 50,000 gay men before Britian's **** laws were repealed in 1967, has just been voted down in committee by the British parliament.

The measure was introduced by MP John Nicholson.

There had been a 2015 petition that asked for pardons for gay men who were criminalized for consensual gay sex that had been signed by half a million petitioners. 

One of those petition-signers was Benedict Cumberbatch who played Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game".

Turing himself became famous for breaking the Nazis' Enigma Code and turning around the course of World War II.

Later, he was convicted of homosexuality and forced into a chemical castration.

It is believed that he did commit suicide.

Reportedly, there is a rival bill in the British Parliament that would delete the criminal records of all DEAD gay men.

The treatment of Alan Turing and gay men in England before 1967 is such a blot on England itself.

What is wrong with telling 50,000 gay men who were criminalized in the past that what they were doing was not wrong and that England itself is apologizing?

You can imagine the paralyzing fear of actors like Dirk Bogarde, who wouldn't come out of the closet even after 1967.

Another way to look at this bill is;  does it attempt to erase or minimize 'such a blot on England itself'?    I.e. that the bill is a way for modern progressives to try to erase the actions of their ancestors?  

To me there is no apology for what occurred and therefore it is better that the blot remain as a reminder to future generations.

• Like 2

Another way to look at this bill is;  does it attempt to erase or minimize 'such a blot on England itself'?    I.e. that the bill is a way for modern progressives to try to erase the actions of their ancestors?  

To me there is no apology for what occurred and therefore it is better that the blot remain as a reminder to future generations.

Good point. But I think there should be some sort of middle ground. To make sure history records it and also wipes the slate clean at the same time.

• Like 1

UPDATE -

The second bill that I allude to has just been passed -

DEAD homosexuals who were convicted of sexual offenses that are no longer sexual offenses, i.e. consensual sex between two men, will not be on the records in the future for criminal sexual behavior.

Good point. But I think there should be some sort of middle ground. To make sure history records it and also wipes the slate clean at the same time.

By using terms like 'slate clean' this implies that the slate was indeed dirty,  when it never was.    If I had a relative that was convicted for something like this,  I would view that as a family honor since there was no shame there.    The shame falls with those that did the convicting and the entire English legal system.

BUT HEY,  I do see this middle ground you mention.    So if people are happy with these type of laws,  I'm happy for them.

• Like 1

By using terms like 'slate clean' this implies that the slate was indeed dirty,  when it never was.    If I had a relative that was convicted for something like this,  I would view that as a family honor since there was no shame there.    The shame falls with those that did the convicting and the entire English legal system.

BUT HEY,  I do see this middle ground you mention.    So if people are happy with these type of laws,  I'm happy for them.

When I said 'wiping the slate clean,' I did not exactly say it was the gay men who were convicted, or their living relatives, that need the slate wiped clean. I was really referring to the whole process and the legal climate under which such things happened. But this is more than wordplay or semantics. It's a part of history that should not be erased, nor should it be subject to revisionist interpretation. I think people see it as a story that needs a better ending.

• Like 1

Milo Yiannopoulos, the firebrand, to say the least, has had his appearance at NYU, my alma mater, cancelled due to his extremely fiery rehetoric and extremely conservative views, which are claimed to incite hatred and violence before, during and after his engagements.

Mr. Yiannopoulos, who is an editor at Breitbart News, the conservative news and opinion website,

seems to stand - boldly and unapologetically - for political incorrectness.

He is currently on his "Dangerous **** Tour".

Yes, among so many incorrect beliefs, Mr. Yiannopoulos believes that being gay is a choice.

He had been invited to speak at NYU by the NYU College Republicans.

But NYU feels that he would be a dangerous choice for the renowed university.

Mr. Yiannopoulos wants to "make America great again".

I personally believe that he should unleash "his inner ****".

Screen-Shot-2016-06-08-at-10.39.56-AM.pn

Milo Yiannopoulos, the firebrand, to say the least, has had his appearance at NYU, my alma mater, cancelled due to his extremely fiery rehetoric and extremely conservative views, which are claimed to incite hatred and violence before, during and after his engagements.

Mr. Yiannopoulos, who is an editor at Breitbart News, the conservative news and opinion website,

seems to stand - boldly and unapologetically - for political incorrectness.

He is currently on his "Dangerous **** Tour".

Yes, among so many incorrect beliefs, Mr. Yiannopoulos believes that being gay is a choice.

He had been invited to speak at NYU by the NYU College Republicans.

But NYU feels that he would be a dangerous choice for the renowed university.

Mr. Yiannopoulos wants to "make America great again".

I personally believe that he should unleash "his inner ****".

With regards to if being gay is a 'choice';   There is no scientific evidence one way or the other.   Therefore this is an open scientific question and thus the only logical POV is to have NO opinion \ NO belief.    Sexuality is complex (e.g.  the fact some people are bisexual),  so the odds are high one can't dumb down something so complex into a binary question.

From a political POV,  it is also folly to push the POV that one is 'born this way' since this could lead to specific solutions as it relates to gays;   e.g.  abortion of fetus with potential gay DNA or testing and punishment of people found to be born a certain way.

To me a better political POV is to state that regardless of WHY people are gay,  they should be treated equally and with dignity,  period.

(verses the POV of: because one is born gay they should be treated equally and with dignity).

• Like 1

Some people are born with both male and female anatomical parts. Saturday Night Live made a joke about it back in the early nineties, called "It's Pat". Hardly funny now but it got laughs back then.

This is one of the many flaws in the Religious Right's attack. They insist that God created man and woman to produce babies and any act that goes against this is "against nature". (Then again, I seriously doubt all that many among the holier-than-thou are ONLY doing The Act in order to have children. They don't care about the end result. Just how you do it and with what body parts and with what gender.)

They also forget than many other species of animals have homosexual tendencies. Then again, they also insist humans are not animals anyway, but descendants of Adam and Eve. That is why they love killing animals with guns so much.

Religion needs a re-haul. It made sense when there were no telescopes and microscopes. Yet the only valuable parts of the Biblical text are the "love thy neighbor as thy self" portions that at least curb the number of murders and warfare somewhat if not enough. After all, if God intends everybody to be heterosexual and procreative, murder and warfare is needed to keep the human population under control.

• Like 1

Some people are born with both male and female anatomical parts. Saturday Night Live made a joke about it back in the early nineties, called "It's Pat". Hardly funny now but it got laughs back then.

This is one of the many flaws in the Religious Right's attack. They insist that God created man and woman to produce babies and any act that goes against this is "against nature". (Then again, I seriously doubt all that many among the holier-than-thou are ONLY doing The Act in order to have children. They don't care about the end result. Just how you do it and with what body parts and with what gender.)

They also forget than many other species of animals have homosexual tendencies. Then again, they also insist humans are not animals anyway, but descendants of Adam and Eve. That is why they love killing animals with guns so much.

Religion needs a re-haul. It made sense when there were no telescopes and microscopes. Yet the only valuable parts of the Biblical text are the "love thy neighbor as thy self" portions that at least curb the number of murders and warfare somewhat if not enough. After all, if God intends everybody to be heterosexual and procreative, murder and warfare is needed to keep the human population under control.

Since there is no such thing as 'god' I find your entire post irrelevant.

For those that believe in a so called 'god',  they can't claim they know what this 'god' thinks or feels.  But if a progressive is going to do so (like you're doing) a conservative can do so as well.

This is why I mentioned science and at this stage science is undecided.

• Like 1

Since there is no such thing as 'god' I find your entire post irrelevant.

For those that believe in a so called 'god',  they can't claim they know what this 'god' thinks or feels.  But if a progressive is going to do so (like you're doing) a conservative can do so as well.

This is why I mentioned science and at this stage science is undecided.

It was not intended to make much sense. Who knows? Maybe God exists after all. Just not sure if Pat Robertson is the one who resembles him the most.

Speaking at an Outfest Legacy Awards gathering over the weekend, Sean Hayes of "Will and Grace" fame expressed his deep regret that it took him so long to come out of the closet.

Sean Hayes received seven Emmy nominations for his portrayal of Jack MacFarland.

He turned a stereotypical gay man - effeminate and flighty - into a human being that fans of the show were able to identify with.

But Sean Hayes was afraid that his sudden success and forward momentum might be hampered if he suddenly confessed to the world that he was actually a gay man.

But, in truth, ever since he appeared in the film, "Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss", he was so obviously a gay man.

And, while I am sure that I will get in trouble for this statement, no straight actor could have given us the Jack MacFarland that Sean Hayes gave us - so beautifully.

After "Will and Grace", it took Sean Hayes ten long years to finally emerge from the closet.

He's sorry, he says, because he might have made a difference in somebody's life.

I would say - he would have made a difference in a lot of lives.

Mr. Hayes is currently playing God in an essentially one-man show that first opened on Broadway with the star of "The Big Bang Theory" - another gay man who is not shy about his sexuality - Jim Parsons.

• Like 2