rayban

Random Alerts!

311 posts in this topic

This looks interesting <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/239374398" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:33 AM, rayban said:

Below, a beautifully-written play -

md3054626887.jpg

The film version cut a great deal of it away.

It was a hit on the London stage.  It starred Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier.

It failed on Broadway.  It starred Michael Redgrave and Barbara Bel Geddes.

I've always been curious about this play. I'm assuming that the character of Elsie was radically altered for the film version, because I can't imagine Vivien Leigh succeeding in the character as played by Marilyn. I'm a fan of the film, though some of the farcical elements were a little tedious, such as the back-and-forth with the medal alternately being bestowed by and then returned to the Regent. Also, the overlapping suppers with the different women.

I'm curious about Barbara Bel Geddes in the role. It must have been right around the time she originated Maggie the Cat. Don't you wish time machines were real?

• Like 1

In the play, the heroine is called Mary and she is much more intelligent than in the film version.

She is instrumental in bringing about a peace between the Regent and his son, the King, who was plotting to get rid of him.

Also, the Regent's mother is actually his wife in the play.  She was played by a much younger Cathleen Nesbitt.

Also, there is an attempted match between the young King and an airhead Princess that does not work out.

The play is almost like a fairy tale.

I can't believe that it failed on Broadway.

So did the musical version by Noel Coward, "The Girl Who Came To Supper".

• Like 1

I'll definitely try to track this down. I like that kind of fairy tale. The Swan is another favorite, though I'm unfamiliar with the source material in that case as well. I'm even a fan of The Merry Widow, implausibly starring Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas. (But there's nothing more fun than watching Lana struggle with implausible casting.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Kevin Spacey has finally officially come out.

Yeah, just read about the accusations from Anthony Rapp. I've heard some pretty sketchy stories about Spacey's past behavior from people who worked with him or at stage venues where he was performing. But it was salacious gossip, and I regarded it as such. It may or may not be true, but it doesn't affect my admiration of his screen work. The Rapp accusation is pretty damning, though. I saw that Spacey blamed it on drunkenness. 

• Like 2

Yes, the stories of his homosexuality were out there year after year - and he kept denying these stories, too, year after year.

Especially when he moved to England and achieved theatrical prominence (as an actor and as an executive).

I noticed, at the Emmy ceremonies, he was sitting next to a handsome young man.

Finally, I thought.

But a man who feels so compelled to deny an essential part of himself is far from praiseworthy - as an individual and as a human being.

medium-cover.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rayban said:

Yes, the stories of his homosexuality were out there year after year - and he kept denying these stories, too, year after year.

Especially when he moved to England and achieved theatrical prominence (as an actor and as an executive).

I noticed, at the Emmy ceremonies, he was sitting next to a handsome young man.

Finally, I thought.

But a man who feels so compelled to deny an essential part of himself is far from praiseworthy - as an individual and as a human being.

I'm surprised you would judge someone harshly for not coming out when you feel they should come out.  Sounds like Grace on that old episode of Will and Grace I mentioned last week.  

• Confused 1

Anthony Rapp was fourteen years old at the time of this incident.

Kevin Spacey was twenty-six years old.

The stories of these men in the film industry who prey on young men have been prominent for many years.

Think of Corey Haim and Corey Feldman.

Corey Feldman even wrote a book about it, "Coreyography".

The time where sex predators like Kevin Spacey can flourish must end NOW.

But Kevin Spacey has always retreated into his "hetero guise", which, in essence, wasn't really fooling anybody.

Now, when a well-known actor like Anthony Rapp comes forward to accuse him of a highly improper sexual advance, Kevin Spacey comes out of the closet.

Could he have chosen a worst time?

But Kevin Spacey is one of those " gay sex dogs" who live under rocks.

He should not be tolerated.

• Like 1

Netflix and Media Rights Group has announced the cancellation of Kevin Spacey's cable TV series, "House of Cards", after its' sixth season, which will be debuting next year.

48 minutes ago, rayban said:

Kevin Spacey - caught in the act, groping a male model, by the National Enquirer -

original.png

Or he was just adjusting his underwear- it's really hard to tell

• Haha 2

The rumors about Spacey's taster for younger men has been around for decades.  He was lucky that Rapp did not report him to the police which would have landed his sorry **** in jail. His coming out will not win him any gay fans- and it actually fuels the homophobic stereotype of the predatory older gay male.  

• Like 1

The International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences has announced that it has cancelled its' International Founders Emmy Award to Kevin Spacey (which had been recently announced).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rayban said:

Kevin Spacey with his "Emmy 16" date - Evan Lowenstein - 

rs_1024x759-160919103914-1024-evan-lowen

Lowenstein is a musician not sure what his relationship was / is with Spacey. Lowenstein looks young but he is 42.

• Like 1

As Netflix goes ahead with the final season of "House of Cards", they have definitely decided to cut Kevin Spacey loose.  They might just go ahead with the series' remaining star, Robin Wright.

Meanwhile, eight men who have worked on the series and some of whom are now working on the series have come forward with stories that Kevin Spacey created a toxic - threatening - atmosphere on the set.

One young man confessed that Kevin Spacey thought nothing of putting his hand into his (the young man) pants and exploring all that he could.

An actor, who wants to remain anonymous, has just confessed that he was only a teenage boy when Kevin Spacey made inappropriate sexual advances which were wholly unwanted.

This whole situation is what happens to gay closeted men who choose to live under a rock.

Is Kevin Spacey's career over?

I would hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

As Netflix goes ahead with the final season of "House of Cards", they have definitely decided to cut Kevin Spacey loose.  They might just go ahead with the series' remaining star, Robin Wright.

Meanwhile, eight men who have worked on the series and some of whom are now working on the series have come forward with stories that Kevin Spacey created a toxic - threatening - atmosphere on the set.

One young man confessed that Kevin Spacey thought nothing of putting his hand into his (the young man) pants and exploring all that he could.

An actor, who wants to remain anonymous, has just confessed that he was only a teenage boy when Kevin Spacey made inappropriate sexual advances which were wholly unwanted.

This whole situation is what happens to gay closeted men who choose to live under a rock.

Is Kevin Spacey's career over?

I would hope so.

His career as a movie star is probably over; but he could go on a mea culpa tour perhaps making up all the years he was in the closet- there are no winners in this story- Spacey as an out and proud gay man would have been an asset now his name will not be linked to his Oscars or classic work in movies or stage just to a pathetic scandal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaragon said:

His career as a movie star is probably over; but he could go on a mea culpa tour perhaps making up all the years he was in the closet- there are no winners in this story- Spacey as an out and proud gay man would have been an asset now his name will not be linked to his Oscars or classic work in movies or stage just to a pathetic scandal

He'll be lucky to get a dinner theater gig in flyover country for the next decade. I hope he socked away some of his dough, for his sake.

Another bit of collateral damage is Ridley Scott's upcoming movie All the Money in the World. It stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams, with Kevin Spacey as J. Paul Getty. It was originally intended for release next year, but test screenings and insider screenings proved so positive that they set it for this awards season, instead. Sony intended to make a big Oscar push for the film, as well as for Spacey, Williams, and Scott for Best Director. I'm a fan of Scott's, and think he deserves an Oscar on his mantle, but he got into trouble in the past when he failed to win for Gladiator and publicly blamed it on the Academy's homophobia. 

Anyway, since the scandal broke, Sony is rethinking the whole enterprise. They've discussed cutting Spacey out of all the advertising, but that won't be enough to sidestep the scandal, I think, and the movie will be tainted regardless. So most likely another missed opportunity for Scott and the Oscar. :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaragon said:

The only tour Spacey deserves is a tour of some courtrooms as a defendant in sexual assault cases.

After all, all defendants are innocent until proven guilty.

However, the Spacey situation has come to such an expansive list of accusations, it looks as though those courtrooms will be in the United Kingdom, as well as in the United States.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't really go along with this Kevin Spacey hate-fest. He's a flawed human being. We all are. I'm sure some of the ones demonising him have done things themselves they might be ashamed of. It's silly that he has to become the public scapegoat to pay for everyone else's hypocrisy. 

I was never a huge fan of his work but I do recognise his talent and the fact that his films should be judged independent of his personal life. 

Hollywood has a strange set of rules. The next generation probably won't be much different, only they will have to be more clever at concealing their secret activities. That's what people in Hollywood will really take from this scandal. Kevin Spacey will survive if he's resilient enough. Who doesn't love a good comeback story.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm a fan of Scott's, and think he deserves an Oscar on his mantle, but he got into trouble in the past when he failed to win for Gladiator and publicly blamed it on the Academy's homophobia. 

I never heard of Scott blaming the Academy's homophobia for loosing the Oscar for "Gladiator"? 

1 minute ago, jaragon said:

I never heard of Scott blaming the Academy's homophobia for loosing the Oscar for "Gladiator"? 

Yeah, it was in some interview back then (It may have been in EW). He was angry and lashing out. I don't know if he ever apologized for the comment, but I've never heard him say anything like it again. Scott has a temper, and he doesn't always filter his comments like he perhaps should, but his unvarnished opinions are usually a refreshing change of pace (even if I don't always agree with him).

• Like 1