rayban

Random Alerts!

311 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Now Richard Dreyfus's son has joined the I was touched by Kevin Spacey club- I'm sure the membership will grow.

And not all of these claims will be true. I can't go along with the idea he's guilty of every single thing he's being accused of in the media.

This whole thing makes them all look ridiculous-- like this could have gone on for so long and everyone just went along with it? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This whole thing makes them all look ridiculous-- like this could have gone on for so long and everyone just went along with it? 

People in positions of power or respect can get away with murder, sometimes literally. Most of the more blatant behavior by Spacey seems to have been after he became a famous, double-Oscar winning star. People will allow them to get away with all kinds of things either out of fear of upsetting the star, or being seen as a troublemaker themselves in an industry with little regard for rocking the boat. I posted early on about hearing stories about Spacey years ago, and I'm just a schmo out in the boonies. So if I had heard about it, you know those closer to him knew about it. A lot of the accusations made against him are of the "handsy" inappropriate touching variety, and people have gotten away with that sort of thing for decades. Even the Netflix show runners admitted that there was a complaint of this nature early on in the series, but that they thought they had "handled the problem", so incidents were occurring.

am a big fan of Spacey's film work. I take absolutely no joy in hearing about any of this. But I was also a fan of Bill Cosby, and Roman Polanski, so I know that these people can go to dark, unsavory places in their private life. I'm hoping I can still watch Spacey's movies without too much trouble separating the man from the art. I have still enjoyed Polanski's work, but he's usually not on screen. I don't even want to look at Cosby anymore, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Kevin Spacey's career is over.  There's no coming back from this one.  No dinner theater, no indie movies, it's over.  Even if all the stories aren't true, there are a lot of them and they can't all be made up.  I liked Spacey as an actor, too, and enjoyed watching his movies very much but coming on to boys who are not at the age of consent is wrong.  Deciding to come out now as if this has anything to do with pedophilia is wrong and just gives fuel to the fire for the bigots.  It's really a sad situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kevin Spacey is a sleazeball.

Why can't he be acknowledged as such?

You can see it in his very demeanor.

As LawrenceA said, people in power can often get away with a great deal.

Look at Harvey Weinstein.

He looks like a pig.

He is a pig.

So far, eighty - 80 - women have come foward to accuse him of sexual misconduct.

Now, an actress who worked with him on "Boardwalk Empire" is claiming that he raped her TWICE in her apartment.

Since the crime is seven years old, the police need collaborating evidence - and, right now, they are getting that evidence.

Closeted gay men like Kevin Spacey live under rocks and do despicable things to satisfy their appetites.

THEY MUST BE STOPPED.

Stop saying that they are flawed human beings.

They made themselves - despicable human beings.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

People in positions of power or respect can get away with murder, sometimes literally. Most of the more blatant behavior by Spacey seems to have been after he became a famous, double-Oscar winning star. People will allow them to get away with all kinds of things either out of fear of upsetting the star, or being seen as a troublemaker themselves in an industry with little regard for rocking the boat. I posted early on about hearing stories about Spacey years ago, and I'm just a schmo out in the boonies. So if I had heard about it, you know those closer to him knew about it. A lot of the accusations made against him are of the "handsy" inappropriate touching variety, and people have gotten away with that sort of thing for decades. Even the Netflix show runners admitted that there was a complaint of this nature early on in the series, but that they thought they had "handled the problem", so incidents were occurring.

am a big fan of Spacey's film work. I take absolutely no joy in hearing about any of this. But I was also a fan of Bill Cosby, and Roman Polanski, so I know that these people can go to dark, unsavory places in their private life. I'm hoping I can still watch Spacey's movies without too much trouble separating the man from the art. I have still enjoyed Polanski's work, but he's usually not on screen. I don't even want to look at Cosby anymore, though.

I don't know where to begin, because you've addressed so many points and I will surely miss one or two. First, this reminds me of conversations I have on a British soaps board. As an American outsider it's easier for me to see what kind of moral judgments they make based on their mostly Anglican upbringing. They do not like characters who get away with murder but on soaps and in real life it's not realistic to say that justice is always served. So because those characters do get away with heinous crimes, they create a whole threads calling for the axing of the actor, as if it's the fault of the actor for being so good the producers won't write them out.

In a way it is like the Kevin Spacey thread here on this forum. We're seeing some false moral judgments, everyone seems out to tar and feather him. If someone defends him, then another poster comes along and clicks 'confused' which is supposed to stand for 'dislike' when there is nothing confusing about any of this. 

Polanski has managed to have a strong film career despite being exiled. Cosby prevailed in court and likely he has more millions stashed away even after paying off his attorneys' fees. Some of them can't be brought to justice. And since we do not know them individually, what good does it do to pile on and cast stones. The ONLY valid judgment is whether their work moves you or entertains you. If you watch a rerun of 'The Cosby Show' and decide it's not funny that's a valid judgment. If you watch a Roman Polanski film and decide it's not as exciting or compelling as another film made the same year, that's a valid judgment. But to just hate something because you now hate one of the artists involved is short-sighted and it affects all the other people involved on the project. 

I remember when Stephen Collins wound up in the news about some sexual improprieties, reruns of '7th Heaven' were pulled on a major channel. Some of the actors now retired who relied on the income from residuals complained about the unfairness, because they had nothing to do with Collins' private life. After the furor died down a few months later the reruns continued. But in the meantime we had all these hypocritical people saying get that pervert off our screens. And these same people are not without blemish or stain in their own lives. We've all made mistakes.

The earlier comment about Ridley Scott's film being affected brings it home. Why should he or his fans, or the fans of the other performers, have to wait to see it if the studio postpones it because of Spacey? But there is some consolation in the fact that Jessica Lange earned an Oscar for a movie (BLUE SKY) that sat in a studio vault for three years before it was finally released (I think Orion had closed and there were legal reasons it was delayed). 

Going back to Spacey, I loved the photo of him and the guy at the awards show. He seems happy. It's obvious they're romantically involved. Otherwise why would they even attend a public event together. So the person who snapped the photo, the ones sitting around them, and probably everyone else in the room knew Spacey was gay and that was the guy he was seeing at the time. So why make a big deal about that now? This kind of stuff keeps people in the closet and pushes others back into the closet. Homophobia and self-hatred thrive because of false moral judgments. If we are so determined to judge Kevin Spacey without the tiniest shred of empathy, then we are doing a disservice to him, to gay men (especially ones who might have other issues with alcohol or drugs because of the double life they've had to lead), and to human beings who only ask for a bit of understanding and help, not ruthless condemnation.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

People in positions of power or respect can get away with murder, sometimes literally. Most of the more blatant behavior by Spacey seems to have been after he became a famous, double-Oscar winning star. People will allow them to get away with all kinds of things either out of fear of upsetting the star, or being seen as a troublemaker themselves in an industry with little regard for rocking the boat.

You are right about that- specially in Hollywood which is after all just a small industry town.  I am surprised about the crew members on "House of Cards" I would think they were protected by their union against sexual harassment. But Spacey was not just the star but one of the producers and sometimes people will tolerate crap is order to keep their paycheck.

27 minutes ago, jaragon said:

You are right about that- specially in Hollywood which is after all just a small industry town.  I am surprised about the crew members on "House of Cards" I would think they were protected by their union against sexual harassment. But Spacey was not just the star but one of the producers and sometimes people will tolerate crap is order to keep their paycheck.

Seems like more demonising. Implying that now he's a monster who threatened people with their livelihoods if they spoke up against him? Would he really have time for so many vendettas? I can't buy the fact that he's the only wrong one and everyone else was a victim. They could have worked on other shows or with other producers; nobody was forced to work with Kevin Spacey. The fact so many of them remained silent makes them complicit. They were protecting their own interests. And now it protects their interests even more to side against him. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Seems like more demonising. Implying that now he's a monster who threatened people with their livelihoods if they spoke up against him? Would he really have time for so many vendettas? I can't buy the fact that he's the only wrong one and everyone else was a victim. They could have worked on other shows or with other producers; nobody was forced to work with Kevin Spacey. The fact so many of them remained silent makes them complicit. They were protecting their own interests. And now it protects their interests even more to side against him. 

I'm not demonizing anyone- people will take **** from bosses because they need their paycheck- and Spacey was in "Horrible Bosses 2" ?! And yes this is why sexual harassment is not tolerated in the work place.

• Confused 1

Something else that not one seems to have brought up I wonder if people are visualizing the now  almost sixty year old Spacey with the 14 year Rapp?  And how is this going to effect the marketing of "Call Me By Your Name" which deals with a "healthy" inter-generational affair between a teenage boy and an older man.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I'm not demonizing anyone- people will take **** from bosses because they need their paycheck- and Spacey was in "Horrible Bosses 2" ?! And yes this is why sexual harassment is not tolerated in the work place.

You're implying that they were all harassed. Or that he did things in the workplace that was illegal. Was he ever even questioned by police about harassing anyone? It's unreal that people are quick to damn him when there is no real documentation to support most of these claims. I don't like how people are eager to accept a so-called victim's version of events. We're in a dangerous frame of mind in our culture where we can so willingly wreck a person's career because we want to believe the worst in him. But I get it-- people need "drama" and they need a villain to fear and demolish, so Kevin Spacey becomes the nefarious foe of choice. 

I am still going to think he gave a brilliant performance in an early arc of TV's Wiseguy. I will not let others ruin my enjoyment of his performance. I don't care at all about his personal life. I care what he brought to my screen. And that's more than enough, more than we have any right to ask of a performer. We don't own them or their mistakes.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Something else that not one seems to have brought up I wonder if people are visualizing the now  almost sixty year old Spacey with the 14 year Rapp?  And how is this going to effect the marketing of "Call Me By Your Name" which deals with a "healthy" inter-generational affair between a teenage boy and an older man.

I think you're going too far with this. So now we have to filter everything that comes out of Hollywood through the Kevin Spacey lens. What if a character is named Kevin? What if a science fiction film takes place in outer spacey? Should we rethink how we market those titles too? And on and on it will go. 

Ideally, yes, separate the private human being from his work, his films, his TV series.

But a closeted gay man whose "hands were under the table" most of his life is not somebody that you should be embracing - either personally or professionally.

Let's put it this way - would you want him as a friend?

Would you go places with him?

He needs psychiatric help.

He's a man who refuses to acknowledge himself.

And, thus, other people - the boys, the young men - are not even people to him.

They are the phantoms of a phantom life.

At nearly the age of 60, he comes out of the closet - but only because he was forced to.

Anthony Rapp called him out due to a terrible memory.

Kevin Spacey can't even remember the encounter.

Because, let's face it, people who live under rocks cannot remember themselves in the light.

Richard Dreyfus's son recollection of being groped by Kevin Spacey during the table read of a script is an almost-hard-to-believe encounter.

But, I guarantee you, Kevin Spacey does not remember it.

Because for people who are in every-day denial of their true selves it would not have happened.

Is this the kind of person whom you want to support and embrace?

Is this the kind of person whom you want in your life?

For heaven's sake, SAY NO!

• Like 1

I think you're going too far with this. So now we have to filter everything that comes out of Hollywood through the Kevin Spacey lens. What if a character is named Kevin? What if a science fiction film takes place in outer spacey? Should we rethink how we market those titles too? And on and on it will go. 

No I was just wondering if anyone thought the same thing- I'm sure there will be comments about this from some people-no everything not about Spacey and like all Hollywood scandals it will be part of history

• Thanks 1

I don't like how people are eager to accept a so-called victim's version of events. We're in a dangerous frame of mind in our culture where we can so willingly wreck a person's career because we want to believe the worst in him. But I get it-- people need "drama" and they need a villain to fear and demolish, so Kevin Spacey becomes the nefarious foe of choice. 

True in a fair world people would not rush to condemn the innocent until proven guilty-but this is the hypersensitive 21st century in which now we have witch trial via social media.  If you dare to criticized any one you are accused of victim blaming  racism or homophobia.  There have been to many cases of people lives being destroyed by accusation of rape or child abuse which later turned out to be false. Of course by then it's too late and the damage has been done. 

• Thanks 2

On 11/4/2017 at 10:21 PM, TopBilled said:

I can't really go along with this Kevin Spacey hate-fest. He's a flawed human being. We all are. I'm sure some of the ones demonising him have done things themselves they might be ashamed of. It's silly that he has to become the public scapegoat to pay for everyone else's hypocrisy. 

I was never a huge fan of his work but I do recognise his talent and the fact that his films should be judged independent of his personal life. 

Hollywood has a strange set of rules. The next generation probably won't be much different, only they will have to be more clever at concealing their secret activities. That's what people in Hollywood will really take from this scandal. Kevin Spacey will survive if he's resilient enough. Who doesn't love a good comeback story.

Sometimes, provided you are heterosexual. We saw how one presidential candidate succeeded over his own sex assault allegations. He even bragged about it on a decade old Access Hollywood bus tape. Although Roger Ailes died this year, I was struck by how divided the media was covering him with a surprising number defending and sympathizing with him. It also struck me how quickly Kevin replaced Harvey as front page news as if what he did was far worse.

• Like 1

Victor Salva was convicted of sexual misconduct with one of the young actors of his film "Clownhouse" (1989).  He spent year in state prison . He said "it was a dark time in my confused young life but also a time when I took responsibility for my own arrested development and the ramifications of growing up in a deeply dysfunctional family".  Silva resumed his filmmaking career and made the "Jeeper Creeper " series.  Now he was not well known as Spacey and was behind the scenes not in front of the camera. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jlewis said:

Sometimes, provided you are heterosexual. We saw how one presidential candidate succeeded over his own sex assault allegations. He even bragged about it on a decade old Access Hollywood bus tape. Although Roger Ailes died this year, I was struck by how divided the media was covering him with a surprising number defending and sympathizing with him. It also struck me how quickly Kevin replaced Harvey as front page news as if what he did was far worse.

Kevin Spacey quickly replaced Harvey Weinstein because to begin with before this all happened I, for one, had never heard of Harvey Weinstein.

Harvey Weinstein may be very famous in movie circles and in Hollywood, but the average American had never even heard of the man.

Kevin Spacey is one of the biggest movie and TV stars around.

I've never paid too much attention to Kevin Spacey or even bothered  to watch him in anything. But  even I knew who he was and what he looked like. 

I can even recall him  back at the Academy Awards, years ago in 2000, which was probably the last time I watched, when he won the Best Actor Oscar for American Beauty.

To put it succinctly, Kevin is a movie star and Harvey is not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaragon said:

Victor Salva was convicted of sexual misconduct with one of the young actors of his film "Clownhouse" (1989).  He spent year in state prison . He said "it was a dark time in my confused young life but also a time when I took responsibility for my own arrested development and the ramifications of growing up in a deeply dysfunctional family".  Silva resumed his filmmaking career and made the "Jeeper Creeper " series.  Now he was not well known as Spacey and was behind the scenes not in front of the camera. 

In the past few days, Corey Feldman has named the male actor who worked with him and Corey Haim on the film,"License to Drive" and made unwanted sexual advances toward him (Feldman).

I cannot remember the name of the actor - I did not know the actor or his work, though.

He said that the actor even carried pix of him and Haim on his cell phone.

But men and boys is nothing new in Hollywood.

But Feldman is brave in outing this particular actor.

Because nobody who works in Hollywood and knows the score wants to do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Kevin Spacey quickly replaced Harvey Weinstein because to begin with before this all happened I, for one, had never heard of Harvey Weinstein.

Harvey Weinstein may be very famous in movie circles and in Hollywood, but the average American had never even heard of the man.

I've never paid too much attention to Kevin Spacey or even bothered  to watch him in anything. But  even I knew who he was and what he looked like. 

I can even recall him  back at the Academy Awards, years ago in 2000, which was probably the last time I watched, when he won the Best Actor Oscar for American Beauty.

And, that was the night that Kevin Spacey said out-loud to his female date, naming her first, "I love you." 

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Oh my-my-my, Weinstein always was a big name I was familiar with going back to the 1980s, but maybe it was just me, the Movie Nerd following up on all of the fiddle-fodder. He was the executive in Hollywood who was about as lovable as Michael Eisner and I recall jokes made when Disney bought controlling interest in Miramax that those two a&%$#s deserved each other. I know many TCM members claim they hated his guts since 1999 when Shakespeare In Love defeated Spielberg and Hank's D-Day Valentine at the Oscars, not that anybody watches either film much these days to care like they did then. Weinstein was a bully, plain and simple. Like Eisner. Two peas in a pod.

Funny how Harry Cohn and Darryl Zanuck's own "casting couches" are just quaint relics of yesteryear.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jlewis said:

Oh my-my-my, Weinstein always was a big name I was familiar with going back to the 1980s, but maybe it was just me, the Movie Nerd following up on all of the fiddle-fodder. He was the executive in Hollywood who was about as lovable as Michael Eisner and I recall jokes made when Disney bought controlling interest in Miramax that those two a&%$#s deserved each other. I know many TCM members claim they hated his guts since 1999 when Shakespeare In Love defeated Spielberg and Hank's D-Day Valentine at the Oscars, not that anybody watches either film much these days to care like they did then. Weinstein was a bully, plain and simple. Like Eisner. Two peas in a pod.

Funny how Harry Cohn and Darryl Zanuck's own "casting couches" are just quaint relics of yesteryear.

If Harvey Weinstein goes to jail for **** that actress from "Boardwalk Empire" - a seven-year-old crime which the NYPD is investigating - the days of "the casting couch" might be over.

Throughout the decades in Hollywood, for men and women, "the casting couch" has reined supreme.

Henry Willson, the notorious gay agent of Hollywood fame, brought "the casting couch" into his wild Hollywood parties in which Hollywood executives could "sample" struggling actors.

Rock Hudson freely admitted that having sex with Henry Willson was an absolute requirement to being handled by him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rayban said:

If Harvey Weinstein goes to jail for **** that actress from "Boardwalk Empire" - a seven-year-old crime which the NYPD is investigating - the days of "the casting couch" might be over.

Throughout the decades in Hollywood, for men and women, "the casting couch" has reined supreme.

Weisntein was going beyond using the casting couch- nobody expects rape to lead to a star role

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rayban said:

Henry Willson, the notorious gay agent of Hollywood fame, brought "the casting couch" into his wild Hollywood parties in which Hollywood executives could "sample" struggling actors.

Rock Hudson freely admitted that having sex with Henry Willson was an absolute requirement to being handled by him.

Yes but it those days  the actor had to stay in the closet if they wanted any kind of career.

• Thanks 1

New allegations against Kevin Spacey that cannot be ignored -

A former tv anchorwoman, Heather Unruh, said today that Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted her eighteen-year-old son in a Nantucked bar in July of 2016.

Spacey got her son drunk in a dimly-lit bar and then proceeded to explore her son's genitals.

Her son was both drunk and panicky.

At one point, Spacey left for the mens' room.

A woman nearly told Unruh's son to flee the premises.

He did - immediately.

The local police are investigating the allegations.

So far, Spacey's lawyer has not issued a statement.

Unruh has explained that the family was initially too panicked to report the incident. 

kevin-spacey-anthony-rapp-64f99aa0a66116

• Like 1