rayban

Random Alerts!

394 posts in this topic

The English actor, Douglas Hodge, is giving a sensational performance as Sergei Diagliev in Terrence McNally's new play, "Fire and Air" at The Classic Stage Company at 136 East 13th Street, New York City, New York.

He is supported by a superb cast of actors.

The play concerns Sergei Diagliev, the founder of the Ballet Russe, and the two great loves of his life, Vaslev Nijinsky and Leonide Massine.

See it, if you can. 

1-fire-and-air.w710.h473.jpg

mgid:ao:image:logotv.com:395053?quality=

James Cusati-Moyer plays Nijinsky and Jay Armstrong Johnson plays Massine.

02fireandair2-master675.jpg

Diagliev attends to his greatest creation, Nijinsky, prior to his opening in "The Spectre of the Rose".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a very interesting book on Nijinsky by Richard Buckle.

It is called "Nijinsky".

It is full of interesting photos.

512VE1tUdbL._SL300_.jpg

3413-041.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

There's a very interesting book on Nijinsky by Richard Buckle.

It is called "Nijinsky".

It is full of interesting photos.

512VE1tUdbL._SL300_.jpg

3413-041.jpg

Nijinsky's performance of "The Spectre of the Rose" is on my short list of historical events for which I wish I could have been present. After a young woman has fallen asleep in a chair holding a rose from her lover, Nijinsky "flew" through the open window and danced in her dream. According to accounts, he departed by leaping through the window, always ascending, with no hint that he was about to land offstage. (If someone was there to catch him, I wonder who the lucky guy was who got that job.) By the way...THOSE THIGHS!!!

I loved Buckle's book. Parts of Nijinsky's diary have also been published.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jaragon said:

This could be a movie....

Always was a fan of Billy Bean since he played for the Dodgers.   

BTW,  there is a great jazz guitar player also named Billy Bean.    This isn't relevant to anything,  other than I have a some of his albums.  

• Like 2

The company received some negative backlash for this beautiful romantic video...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jaragon said:

The company received some negative backlash for this beautiful romantic video...

Beautiful romantic images!!

16 minutes ago, jaragon said:

It also look like a preview for that naughty site- "Men at Play":rolleyes:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jaragon said:

These guys aren't exactly demure, and Bravo to that, but I'd be willing to bet the overall response has been much more positive than negative. Haters gotta hate.

• Thanks 1

Michael Urie, who was absolutely brilliant in the recent revival of "Torch Song" in an off-Broadway theater in the Broadway area (2nd Stage), will be returning to the role of Arnold Beckoff in the Broadway re-mounting in November.

Michael Urie made the role his very own.

I met him after the show and told him that I could never forget his performance.

He was very gracious.

The entire cast gave him excellent support.

Mercedes Ruhl will be returning as his mother.

She was a knockout.

michael-urie-torch-song-opening-18.jpg

torch20f-1-web.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rayban said:

Michael Urie, who was absolutely brilliant in the recent revival of "Torch Song" in an off-Broadway theater in the Broadway area (2nd Stage), will be returning to the role of Arnold Beckoff in the Broadway re-mounting in November.

Michael Urie made the role his very own.

I met him after the show and told him that I could never forget his performance.

He was very gracious.

The entire cast gave him excellent support.

Mercedes Ruhl will be returning as his mother.

She was a knockout.

That's really good to hear. I've wondered whether the fact that the role is so associated with Harvey has made productions of the play so rare. Great to see it still has so much potential.

• Like 1

In an interview on "Theater Talk", Harvey Fierstein said that the length of the play - four hours, at least - had been getting in its' way.

He was always getting requests from people who wanted to do parts of it, but not the whole thing.

Yes, I agree, the part of Arnold Beckoff is definitely associated with Harvey Fierstein.

But, believe me, Michael Urie has taken it over.

He has made it his own.

The Broadway production will make him A STAR.

He had so many moments in the play which I will always treasure.

Mr. Fierstein did a great job of condensing it.

It's all there - just not as long.

CURMUDGEON ALERT!!!

I get it and I certainly don't wish him ill with his project, but I think it's something that only a person who never personally experienced the horror of the 1980's+ would want to do, someone who doesn't have indelible specific cherished memories of individuals who died, in many cases heroically, in all cases tragically. Pretending that all those people didn't suffer and die is way less therapeutic than contemplating the triumph which the response of gay people to AIDS represents and the social changes which were the direct result of that response. It may seem productive (and fun) for a younger gay man to imagine a gay president who appoints a leather daddy sex tzar, but the fact is that in sprite of all the social advances which were initiated and fueled by the AIDS crisis, we STILL do not have and are not likely to soon have a gay president, let alone cabinet leather dudes. If you take away the rapidity of those social changes by positing that AIDS never happened, it doesn't seem likely we'd even have same sex marriage yet or so many of our other hard-earned rights. Frankly, I don't think showing contemporary footage of gay hot spots sprinkled with Vito for President 2020 signs cuts it, beyond being a gimmick on which to hang a theory.

It also brings him perilously close to Holocaust-denial territory, though I know that isn't his intention. He needs to think more about what his intention really is, because I'm not convinced photo-shopping dead gay heroes into old age or sticking their names on political posters in the hands of modern gay revelers makes the kind of point he'd obviously like to. Yeah, I know, color me curmudgeon, but hearing him say he feels like he can "speak" with their ghosts unnerves me in a way I can barely express. I have a cassette tape my friend Peter made for me, talking to me about this and that while he washed the dishes one evening in his little apartment in the French quarter of New Orleans. All these many years later, I cherish it but can rarely bear to listen to it. In terms of this guy's project, claiming to foresee the future for people who will never under any circumstances have one, or to somehow "speak" for them or to them does them a dishonor, not the reverse. They lived, they achieved, they died. RIP to all of those poor souls.

Sorry I went off.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jaragon said:

DougieB you make some good points

Since his project is ongoing, I may have jumped the gun before he's fully made his points. Art is transformative at its best, so I hope I wasn't too hateful about it without giving him his chance to finish. He seems very sincere. I get the wish fulfilment aspect of this and I have to admit to being incredibly moved by the final reunion scene in Longtime Companion, where all the friends, living and dead, were reunited. The idea could have a lot of power if it's done well, so thanks, jaragon, for bringing this to our attention.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DougieB said:

Since his project is ongoing, I may have jumped the gun before he's fully made his points. Art is transformative at its best, so I hope I wasn't too hateful about it without giving him his chance to finish. He seems very sincere. I get the wish fulfilment aspect of this and I have to admit to being incredibly moved by the final reunion scene in Longtime Companion, where all the friends, living and dead, were reunited. The idea could have a lot of power if it's done well, so thanks, jaragon, for bringing this to our attention.

Your response was honest not hateful- I was more intrigued by the filmmaker and his sincerity-he is a talented young man

• Like 2

Did you any of you see this new sitcom- two jock brothers own a gym in Broohklyn the older one finds out that he has son who is gay- the two leads are very easy on the eyes but I found the gay child a bit too cliche

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaragon said:

Another sitcom but this one looks more adult oriented

That was hilarious. I've loved Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy since the old SCTV days. The guy who plays shirtless Jake has been the straight romantic lead in a couple of Hallmark movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougieB said:

That was hilarious. I've loved Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy since the old SCTV days. The guy who plays shirtless Jake has been the straight romantic lead in a couple of Hallmark movies.

I would like to see more of him...:wub: