rayban

Random Alerts!

413 posts in this topic

"God Looked Away", the new play about Tennessee Williams by Dotson Rader, has just opened at The Pasadena Playhouse from Feb. 8 thru Mar. 19.

Dotson Rader based the play on his memoir about Tennessee Williams, which was titled, "Tennessee: A Cry From The Heart".

The memoir was a penetrating look into the heart and soul of one of America's most famous playwrights.

The play stars Al Pacino, Judith Light, Garrett Clayton and Miles Gaston Villanueva.

It is rumored for a future Broadway production.

tn-500_light-pacino-claytoningodlookedaw

• Like 3

"God Looked Away", the new play about Tennessee Williams by Dotson Rader, has just opened at The Pasadena Playhouse from Feb. 8 thru Mar. 19.

Dotson Rader based the play on his memoir about Tennessee Williams, which was titled, "Tennessee: A Cry From The Heart".

The memoir was a penetrating look into the heart and soul of one of America's most famous playwrights.

The play stars Al Pacino, Judith Light, Garrett Clayton and Miles Gaston Villanueva.

Garret :wub:

• Like 1

Dotson Rader!!! Is he still around? I knew him slightly, in the early 1980s. 

• Like 1

Dotson Rader!!! Is he still around? I knew him slightly, in the early 1980s. 

Yes, the play is a part of an Inaugural Playwrighting Workshop at The Pasadena Playhouse.   

• Like 1

Michael Urie will star in an Off-Broadway revival of "Torch Song Trilogy" at Second Stage Theater in October of this year.

Harvey Fierstein has edited the original text and has decided to call it - "Torch Song".

It will be directed by Moises Kaufman (of "Gross Indecency" fame).

(Mr. Urie had been rumored to be starring alongside Frank Langella in a revival of "Oh, Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You In Closet and I'm Feeling So Sad".)

122418.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting story - years and years ago I worked in a place that was typing (yes on a typewriter) Barbara Baxley's autobiography.  Anyway she was a friend of Williams and used to call him Tenn.  At one point on her yellow tablet sheets she had written about "Tenn" picking up guys in the street and then crossed it out in pencil.

• Like 1

Yes,  I saw that episode on Decades a few months ago.    Love the jazz combo Dors sings with in the show and that nightclub setting.

I knew Jim Bridges' boyfriend, Jack Larson, very well.  Wonderful man.  Jim Bridges wrote several Alfred Hitchcock hours, he was an excellent writer. He wrote the famous episode about the two nurses in a house while a serial killer was on the loose - I seem to remember it was Reta Shaw, Dana Wynter, and John Kerr.  Terrifying.  I can still remember the moment my dad went from the couch to the ceiling. Couldn't sleep for several nights.

• Like 1

With regards to if being gay is a 'choice';   There is no scientific evidence one way or the other.   Therefore this is an open scientific question and thus the only logical POV is to have NO opinion \ NO belief.    Sexuality is complex (e.g.  the fact some people are bisexual),  so the odds are high one can't dumb down something so complex into a binary question.

From a political POV,  it is also folly to push the POV that one is 'born this way' since this could lead to specific solutions as it relates to gays;   e.g.  abortion of fetus with potential gay DNA or testing and punishment of people found to be born a certain way.

To me a better political POV is to state that regardless of WHY people are gay,  they should be treated equally and with dignity,  period.

(verses the POV of: because one is born gay they should be treated equally and with dignity).

You raise an interesting point. Some people know they are gay at a very young age. I've never known if you could just decide to be gay or straight. I know someone advised a gay guy who was getting heat from his parents to ask them to be gay for a week. Meaning they couldn't so how could he suddenly just "become" straight. I have no answers of course.  But I do like the statement that regardless of why, they should be treated equally and with dignity.  

• Like 1

"Turing's Law", which would have erased the criminal records of nearly 50,000 gay men before Britian's **** laws were repealed in 1967, has just been voted down in committee by the British parliament.

The measure was introduced by MP John Nicholson.

There had been a 2015 petition that asked for pardons for gay men who were criminalized for consensual gay sex that had been signed by half a million petitioners. 

One of those petition-signers was Benedict Cumberbatch who played Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game".

Turing himself became famous for breaking the Nazis' Enigma Code and turning around the course of World War II.

Later, he was convicted of homosexuality and forced into a chemical castration.

It is believed that he did commit suicide.

Reportedly, there is a rival bill in the British Parliament that would delete the criminal records of all DEAD gay men.

The treatment of Alan Turing and gay men in England before 1967 is such a blot on England itself.

What is wrong with telling 50,000 gay men who were criminalized in the past that what they were doing was not wrong and that England itself is apologizing?

You can imagine the paralyzing fear of actors like Dirk Bogarde, who wouldn't come out of the closet even after 1967.

It's amazing to me that he did Victim.  Interesting guy.  He and his partner moved to France.  After his partner died and he had had a stroke, he had to move back to England.  His partner, Tony, was married to Glynis Johns and had a son.  Tony had affairs with a lot of well-known women before hooking up with Dirk.  

• Like 1

Today, on TCM, two early Tab Hunter flicks that start at 12:30 in the afternoon - "The Steel Lady" (1953) and "Return To Treasure Island" (1954) - he was one of the most handsome men to ever grace the silver screen - and he had an extremely masculine presence on the silver screen, too.

Usually seen as a sex symbol for young girls in the '50's, he was that - and more.

Jack Warner, who never asked him about his sexual orientation, was a fan.

And he was one of the few stars to have actually survived a "Confidential" magazine expose.

I would like to recommend the current documentary, "Tab Hunter Confidential".

Despite the hostile environment at the time of his stardom, Mr. Hunter rarely addressed his sexuality, he managed to survive and be remembered.

An icon today, for gay men everywhere, who insisted on a life AND a career.

And who understood that "gay" did not mean "fairy".

5273a03d0682d70ab3f843093529c903-29397.j

He was absolutely wonderful, and I loved that documentary.  And so handsome.  One of my blond exceptions.

• Like 1

Interesting story - years and years ago I worked in a place that was typing (yes on a typewriter) Barbara Baxley's autobiography.  Anyway she was a friend of Williams and used to call him Tenn.  At one point on her yellow tablet sheets she had written about "Tenn" picking up guys in the street and then crossed it out in pencil.

Wasn't she hoping to marry gay playwright, William Inge?

I knew Jim Bridges' boyfriend, Jack Larson, very well.  Wonderful man.  Jim Bridges wrote several Alfred Hitchcock hours, he was an excellent writer. He wrote the famous episode about the two nurses in a house while a serial killer was on the loose - I seem to remember it was Reta Shaw, Dana Wynter, and John Kerr.  Terrifying.  I can still remember the moment my dad went from the couch to the ceiling. Couldn't sleep for several nights.

Yes, I have noticed his name in the writing credits.

It's amazing to me that he did Victim.  Interesting guy.  He and his partner moved to France.  After his partner died and he had had a stroke, he had to move back to England.  His partner, Tony, was married to Glynis Johns and had a son.  Tony had affairs with a lot of well-known women before hooking up with Dirk.  

His performance in "Victim" was such a great performance.

It must've come from years of pretending to be straight on screen.

From what I've read, he and his partner were very loving.

I can always watch Dirk Bogarde.

A recent treat was his performance in "The Doctor's Dilemma".

He was absolutely wonderful, and I loved that documentary.  And so handsome.  One of my blond exceptions.

Tab Hunter was "blond" in a way that no other man could be - gorgeously, memorably BLOND.

Wasn't she hoping to marry gay playwright, William Inge?

She was unhappily married to someone else who had a mistress.  Honestly, when I started typing this thing, I remember thinking it was fiction!  Then she started dropping names and I realized who it was. The guy that was working with her finally quit, saying he couldn't stand it any longer. She must have been a complete neurotic.

• Like 1

His performance in "Victim" was such a great performance.

It must've come from years of pretending to be straight on screen.

From what I've read, he and his partner were very loving.

I can always watch Dirk Bogarde.

A recent treat was his performance in "The Doctor's Dilemma".

I love Dirk Bogarde.  His biography by John Coldstream is one of the best I've ever read.  Very thorough and fantastic.

• Like 1

I love Dirk Bogarde.  His biography by John Coldstream is one of the best I've ever read.  Very thorough and fantastic.

And it took a lot of guts to play the character in "Victim"

• Like 1

And it took a lot of guts to play the character in "Victim"

Yes, it did, and it re-defined his career.

Harvey Fierstein and Gabriel Ebert will star in Martin Sherman's play, "Gently Down The Stream", which opens at The Public Theater in downtown Manhattan from March 14 - May 14.

Tickets are $85.

Don't miss it.

86855-9.jpg

• Like 1

World-famous designer, Calvin Klein, has a new boyfriend,  model Kevin Baker - 

landscape-1477080535-kevin-baker-calvin-

• Like 1

World-famous designer, Calvin Klein, has a new boyfriend,  model Kevin Baker - 

landscape-1477080535-kevin-baker-calvin-

Does the kid have to call Calvin grandpa?

• Like 1

Does the kid have to call Calvin grandpa?

I have always wondered how, overall,  the gay and lesbian community feels about relationships were there is a big age difference.    Of course there is often a gender divide with heterosexual relations;  E.g. women are labeled cougars,  which has a negative connotation, often by other women,  while men, are high-fived by guys their own age for being with a younger babe (but generally women look down at the men and women in such relationship).

There are the classic terms such as gigolo and gold-digger.     Are these terms also used for non-heterosexual relationships that fit that profile?

• Like 1

I have always wondered how, overall,  the gay and lesbian community feels about relationships were there is a big age difference.    Of course there is often a gender divide with heterosexual relations;  E.g. women are labeled cougars,  which has a negative connotation, often by other women,  while men, are high-fived by guys their own age for being with a younger babe (but generally women look down at the men and women in such relationship).

There are the classic terms such as gigolo and gold-digger.     Are these terms also used for non-heterosexual relationships that fit that profile?

Yes, they are - older gay men often refer to younger available gay guys - as "gold-diggers".

Calvin Klein's former boy-toy, Nick Gruber, who was a wild child and threatened him with a tell-all memoir - 

Calvin-Klein-Nick-Gruber.jpg?width=606&h

• Like 1