rayban

Random Alerts!

446 posts in this topic

My favorite novel of all time is D.H. Lawrence's first novel: The White Peacock, a gorgeous evocation of coming of age in the Derbyshire countryside. The two main characters, Cyril and George, are very much the forerunners of Rupert and Gerald in Women in Love. Cyril and Rupert, of course, represent Lawrence himself. I love this passage -- Cyril and George have been swimming nude and emerge from the lake:

"We stood and looked at each other as we rubbed ourselves dry. He was well proportioned, and naturally of handsome physique, heavily limbed. He laughed at me, telling me I was like one of Aubrey Beardsley's long, lean ugly fellows. I referred him to many classic examples of slenderness, declaring myself more exquisite than his grossness, which amused him.

But I had to give in, and bow to him, and he took on an indulgent, gentle manner. I laughed and submitted. For he knew not how I admired the noble, white fruitfulness of his form. As I watched him, he stood in white relief against the mass of green. He polished his arm, holding it out straight and solid; he rubbed his hair into curls, while I watched the deep muscles of his shoulders, and the bands stand out in his neck as he held it firm; I remembered the story of Annable.

He saw I had forgotten to continue my rubbing, and laughing he took hold of me and began to rub me briskly, as if I were a child, or rather, a woman he loved and did not fear. I left myself quite limply in his hands, and, to get a better grip of me, he put his arm round me and pressed me against him, and the sweetness of the touch of our naked bodies one against the other was superb. It satisfied in some measure the vague, indecipherable yearning of my soul; and it was the same with him. When he had rubbed me all warm, he let me go, and we looked at each other with eyes of still laughter, and our love was perfect for a moment, more perfect than any love I have known since, either for man or woman."

I don't care what one's sexuality is, that passage is HOT!  Perfect love, indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I don't care what one's sexuality is, that passage is HOT!  Perfect love, indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

Read the novel, it has the most glorious descriptions of nature that I've ever read.  Here's an example (the novel is told in Cyril's voice -- he's the stand-in for Lawrence):

"I was born in September, and love it best of all the months. There is no heat, no hurry, no thirst and weariness in corn harvest as there is in the hay. If the season is late, as is usual with us, then mid-September sees the corn still standing in stook. The mornings come slowly. The earth is like a woman married and fading; she does not leap up with a laugh for the first fresh kiss of dawn, but slowly, quietly, unexpectantly lies watching the waking of each new day. The blue mist, like memory in the eyes of a neglected wife, never goes from the wooded hill, and only at noon creeps from the near hedges. There is no bird to put a song in the throat of morning; only the crow's voice speaks during the day. Perhaps there is the regular breathing hush of the scythe—even the fretful jar of the mowing machine. But next day, in the morning, all is still again. The lying corn is wet, and when you have bound it, and lift the heavy sheaf to make the stook, the tresses of oats wreathe round each other and droop mournfully.

As I worked with my friend through the still mornings we talked endlessly. I would give him the gist of what I knew of chemistry, and botany, and psychology. Day after day I told him what the professors had told me; of life, of sex and its origins; of Schopenhauer and William James. We had been friends for years, and he was accustomed to my talk. But this autumn fruited the first crop of intimacy between us. I talked a great deal of poetry to him, and of rudimentary metaphysics. He was very good stuff. He had hardly a single dogma, save that of pleasing himself. Religion was nothing to him. So he heard all I had to say with an open mind, and understood the drift of things very rapidly, and quickly made these ideas part of himself.

We tramped down to dinner with only the clinging warmth of the sunshine for a coat. In this still, enfolding weather a quiet companionship is very grateful. Autumn creeps through everything. The little damsons in the pudding taste of September, and are fragrant with memory. The voices of those at table are softer and more reminiscent than at haytime.

Afternoon is all warm and golden. Oat sheaves are lighter; they whisper to each other as they freely embrace. The long, stout stubble tinkles as the foot brushes over it; the scent of the straw is sweet. When the poor, bleached sheaves are lifted out of the hedge, a spray of nodding wild raspberries is disclosed, with belated berries ready to drop; among the damp grass lush blackberries may be discovered. Then one notices that the last bell hangs from the ragged spire of fox-glove. The talk is of people, an odd book; of one's hopes—and the future; of Canada, where work is strenuous, but not life; where the plains are wide, and one is not lapped in a soft valley, like an apple that falls in a secluded orchard. The mist steals over the face of the warm afternoon. The tying-up is all finished, and it only remains to rear up the fallen bundles into shocks. The sun sinks into a golden glow in the west. The gold turns to red, the red darkens, like a fire burning low, the sun disappears behind the bank of milky mist, purple like the pale bloom on blue plums, and we put on our coats and go home."

• Like 1

A feeble attempt was made, related mostly to his marriage. DH is played, appropriately, by Ian McKellen. His wife Frieda is butcher than he is!

Sons and Lovers is my second favorite DHL book, after The White Peacock. One could take it as a sort of biographic film. I really really wanted to like it, but it doesn't do justice to the beauty of the novel, possibly because Jack Cardiff was really a cinematographer, not a director, and Dean Stockwell wasn't right for the lead. I haven't seen the two television versions.

That movie looks sort of lame

Famed director, Roland Emmerich, 61, has just announced his engagement to Omar de Soto, 28.

The out-and-about couple have been dating for eight years.

roland-emmerich-und-sein-freund.jpg

• Like 1

Famed director, Roland Emmerich, 61, has just announced his engagement to Omar de Soto, 28.

The out-and-about couple have been dating for eight years.

roland-emmerich-und-sein-freund.jpg

Are they going to double date with Calivn Kline and his "grandson"

• Like 3

Nate Berkus and his husband, Jeremiah Brent, are inviting us into their home and their lives via a new realty show, "Nate and Jeremiah By Design", which will be debuting on TLC on April 8th.

They'll be introducing us to their two-year-old daughter, too, Poppy Brent-Berkus.

In the show, Nate and Jeremiah will be helping couples who are in need of home renovations.

Good luck, guys, we'll be there!

slide_339178_3471268_free.jpg

It seems that George Michael, who died of natural causes on Christmas Day, was finally laid to rest today in Highgate Cemetery.

The burial was shrouded in secrecy and attended only by invitees.

Basically, it was a family affair.

He was laid to rest beside his beloved mother.

His long-term boyfriend, Fadi Fawaz, was NOT INVITED TO THE CEREMONY.

But he still managed to attend the event.

Although he was the last to arrive.

(Andrew Ridgeley, formerly of WHAM!, was one of the attendees.)

aboutfaith.jpg

PAY-George-Michael-and-Andrew-Ridgeley-W

• Like 1

It seems that George Michael, who died of natural causes on Christmas Day, was finally laid to rest today in Highgate Cemetery.

The burial was shrouded in secrecy and attended only by invitees.

Basically, it was a family affair.

He was laid to rest beside his beloved mother.

His long-term boyfriend, Fadi Fawaz, was NOT INVITED TO THE CEREMONY.

But he still managed to attend the event.

Although he was the last to arrive.

(Andrew Ridgeley, formerly of WHAM!, was one of the attendees.)

aboutfaith.jpg

PAY-George-Michael-and-Andrew-Ridgeley-W

May he rest in peace - he created such memorable music and music videos- I wonder if we'll get an honest bio film

• Like 1

Archie Andrews and Jughead Jones on "Riverdale" on the CW on Thursdays at 9PM -

jughead-archie-riverdale-1.jpeg

• Like 1

Archie Andrews and Jughead Jones on "Riverdale" on the CW on Thursdays at 9PM -

jughead-archie-riverdale-1.jpeg

I love this show - and how about Luke Perry as Archie's dad

• Like 1

"Jaws 2" - the sequel to the blockbuster from the mid-70's -

it is currently being shown on The Starz Channel -

I was horrified by this film -

any movie which pits a large group of children against a rampaging super-shark is totally despicable in my opinion -

there's a nauseating scene in which the super-shark swallows a pretty teenager WHOLE -

but I have a feeling that the film probably did well at the box office -

since there were two additional sequels.

• Like 1

"Jaws 2" - the sequel to the blockbuster from the mid-70's -

it is currently being shown on The Starz Channel -

I was horrified by this film -

any movie which pits a large group of children against a rampaging super-shark is totally despicable in my opinion -

there's a nauseating scene in which the super-shark swallows a pretty teenager WHOLE -

but I have a feeling that the film probably did well at the box office -

since there were two additional sequels.

I had a big crush in one of the actors who plays one of the teens in peril- David Elliot

• Like 1

I had a big crush in one of the actors who plays one of the teens in peril- David Elliot

You're such a devil!

David Elliott who played Larry -

MV5BMjE1NjcwOTI3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTky

• Like 1

I just saw Michael Pitt in a movie I watched in the last few weeks, Seven Psychopaths. His role wasn't very big, though. I think I first noticed him in Murder By Numbers, with Sandra Bullock, where he and Ryan Gosling were teenage killers. I also remember him from Gus Van Sant's Last Days, where he was channeling Kurt Cobain, and his role on Boardwalk Empire. I know I've seen him in more things as well (including The Dreamers).

• Like 1

I just saw Michael Pitt in a movie I watched in the last few weeks, Seven Psychopaths. His role wasn't very big, though. I think I first noticed him in Murder By Numbers, with Sandra Bullock, where he and Ryan Gosling were teenage killers. I also remember him from Gus Van Sant's Last Days, where he was channeling Kurt Cobain, and his role on Boardwalk Empire. I know I've seen him in more things as well (including The Dreamers).

Yes, he was quite fine in "Murder By Numbers", "Last Days" and "The Dreamers".

I ran into him once in a downtown Manhattan store.

He was extremely friendly.

I spoke to him about "Murder By Numbers", which he seemed to appreciate.

• Like 1

Michael Pitt of Bernardo Bertolucci's "The Dreamers" is 36 years old today.

936full-the-dreamers-screenshot.jpg

This movie is such a long tease

• Like 1

You're such a devil!

David Elliott who played Larry -

MV5BMjE1NjcwOTI3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTky

LOL that picture needs a caption.... ;)

• Like 1

Lana Tuner is the subject of Darwin Potter's latest slash fiction bio  "Lana Turner: Hearts and Diamonds Take All"

• Like 1

LOL that picture needs a caption.... ;)

"Thank you for giving me Jaragon's telephone number."

• Like 1

James Franco is telling us that he identifies with gay men, but he doesn't want to have sex with a man -

james-franco-header.jpg

• Like 1