Sign in to follow this  
kingrat

Classic Daytime Soap Operas on YouTube

46 posts in this topic

Another great period for a particular soap was the era about 1978 to 1981 for The Guiding Light, when all the core characters were still around, with the introduction of such characters as Alan Spaulding (Christopher Bernau), Rita Stapleton (Lenore Kasdorf), Jackie Marler (Cindy Pickett), and Kelly Nelson (John Wesley Shipp). This era ends with the firing of Kristin Vigard (the original Morgan Richards), though there would be some good moments later in the 1980s, many of them having to do with Beverlee McKinsey as Alexandra Spaulding. Some of these episodes are available on YouTube. Solid cast, excellent pacing, with plenty of time for the character interactions that soap fans love.

• Like 2

Another great period for a particular soap was the era about 1978 to 1981 for The Guiding Light, when all the core characters were still around, with the introduction of such characters as Alan Spaulding (Christopher Bernau), Rita Stapleton (Lenore Kasdorf), Jackie Marler (Cindy Pickett), and Kelly Nelson (John Wesley Shipp). This era ends with the firing of Kristin Vigard (the original Morgan Richards), though there would be some good moments later in the 1980s, many of them having to do with Beverlee McKinsey as Alexandra Spaulding. Some of these episodes are available on YouTube. Solid cast, excellent pacing, with plenty of time for the character interactions that soap fans love.

After Guiding Light went off the air, Procter & Gamble licensed some episodes to another company that packaged them on DVD. The licensing didn't last long, but for about a year, several collections/sets were issued. I bought one that had episodes from early 1981, when Doug Marland was the headwriter. They involved the Emmy winning story where the character of Jennifer Richards was on trial for murder. The set had ten consecutive episodes that covered the trial and its immediate outcome.

Supposedly one of the episodes never aired because the show had been pre-empted the day Reagan was shot. It was the episode where Jennifer's big secret came out on the witness stand. Viewers were upset and flooded CBS with requests to re-air it, but the network did not re-air it. So viewers were forced to figure it out by watching the aftermath covered in the following episode.

Incidentally, I just looked up John Hinckley Jr. on wiki-- apparently, he was released on September 10 of this year, less than a month ago.

• Like 3

After Guiding Light went off the air, Procter & Gamble licensed some episodes to another company that packaged them on DVD. The licensing didn't last long, but for about a year, several collections/sets were issued. I bought one that had episodes from early 1981, when Doug Marland was the headwriter. They involved the Emmy winning story where the character of Jennifer Richards was on trial for murder. The set had ten consecutive episodes that covered the trial and its immediate outcome.

Supposedly one of the episodes never aired because the show had been pre-empted the day Reagan was shot. It was the episode where Jennifer's big secret came out on the witness stand. Viewers were upset and flooded CBS with requests to re-air it, but the network did not re-air it. So viewers were forced to figure it out by watching the aftermath covered in the following episode.

Incidentally, I just looked up John Hinckley Jr. on wiki-- apparently, he was released on September 10 of this year, less than a month ago.

I have that same collection.  That story is one of my alltime GL favorites. 

One of the earlier posts in this thread mentions THE DOCTORS.  Retro TV has been airing them for the last two years...starting with Dec. 1967 episodes.  The show debuted on April 1, 1963 (same as GENERAL HOSPITAL.)  Except for a few too damaged to be shown, they are in order.

• Like 2

One of the earlier posts in this thread mentions THE DOCTORS.  Retro TV has been airing them for the last two years...starting with Dec. 1967 episodes.  The show debuted on April 1, 1963 (same as GENERAL HOSPITAL.)  Except for a few too damaged to be shown, they are in order.

I just checked Amazon. The Jennifer Richards set now sells for $400. Good thing I bought mine when I did. I am assuming the price is so high because it was a limited edition; no more are being produced since the licensing with P&G ended.

• Like 1

I just checked Amazon. The Jennifer Richards set now sells for $400. Good thing I bought mine when I did. I am assuming the price is so high because it was a limited edition; no more are being produced since the licensing with P&G ended.

Expensive but sounds like it is worth it. I am having trouble getting through on some messages. I was going to thank you for recommending British Film Noir on You Tube, The Late Edwina Black. I get notifications of messages, but none in my box. Just now I was sending a message and was told that Mesenger was disabled! Do you know who to contacT? It sounds like Mine is disabled.

Thanks!

Expensive but sounds like it is worth it. I am having trouble getting through on some messages. I was going to thank you for recommending British Film Noir on You Tube, The Late Edwina Black. I get notifications of messages, but none in my box. Just now I was sending a message and was told that Mesenger was disabled! Do you know who to contacT? It sounds like Mine is disabled.

Thanks!

I'm not sure Janet. Maybe you can post down in the Technical Issues forum and the moderator will see it and reply (go to the main page and scroll all the way down).

• Like 1

That is too soon for comfort - that Hinckley was released recently. GL was a good show and I tried to catch it when I could. That is interesting about that important episode. They should have aired it later, but never did. I remember Jennifer Richards, but lost track of the show when my work hours changed.

I'm not sure Janet. Maybe you can post down in the Technical Issues forum and the moderator will see it and reply (go to the main page and scroll all the way down).

Thanks, Jarrod! There seems to be something going on with changes on the boards. WIll let you know.

• Like 1

Not sure what is going on either. THey have been too busy to respond to me yet, but I received a personal message from someone else on the boards with no trouble! So I don't know what is happening yet. Thanks for your help!

Not sure what is going on either. THey have been too busy to respond to me yet, but I received a personal message from someone else on the boards with no trouble! So I don't know what is happening yet. Thanks for your help!

I notice the moderator did respond to you.

My Grandmother used to watch ANOTHER WORLD.  When I dropped in for a visit one day and it was on, I noticed a familiar face.  I asked her, "Who's THAT guy?"  and she told me, "Oh, he just started on this show."  I then told her, "Well, he JUST DIED on a DIFFERENT SOAP last WEEK!"  :D

It was actor LEE PATTERSON, who played Joe Riley, one of Victoria Lord's husbands on OLTL, and was "killed off" and then went to be DR. KEVIN COOK on ANOTHER WORLD!

Sepiatone

What a coincidence! I just saw Lee Patterson in a British film called Deadly Record.

I don't know if any of you are registered to post as soapoperanetwork.com. I have had trouble trying to register on the site.

Lee Patterson is in a number of movies, and if you are a fan of his, as I am, you might want to check out The Story of Esther Costello, where he plays the nice young journalist who falls in love with the girl played by Heather Sears (obviously based on Helen Keller).

The part of Jennifer Richards on Guiding Light was played by the fine actress Geraldine Court, who played Dr. Ann Larimer on The Doctors, generally a nice person the first time she was on the show, and anything but when she returned, keeping poor Carolee (then played by the wonderful Jada Rowland, who had replaced the also wonderful Carolee Campbell) locked in a sanatorium. Jada Rowland was so expressive with her eyes as she lay helpless in bed that the producer dragged out this storyline to take advantage of it. For weeks the only thing the poor woman could say was her husband's name: "STEEEEEVE!!!!"

I'm glad others also have such fond memories of these talented actors, much of whose work has been needlessly lost.

• Like 2

It breaks my heart when the announcer says at the end of each episode, "Now stay tuned to ANOTHER WORLD."

• Like 1

I don't know if any of you are registered to post as soapoperanetwork.com. I have had trouble trying to register on the site.

I had trouble registering on that site as well. I sent two different emails to their webmaster but never heard anything back. I thought it was my computer having the problem. But based on what you're saying, it's a glitch on their end.

Thanks, TB. Like you, I was wondering if it was just me or my computer! I don't know anyone who is registered at soapoperanetwork.com. It's sobering to read posts by people saying how much they would love to see shows or eras of shows that I have actually seen.

As much fun as it was to see the young Christopher Reeve on Love of Life and think, "That guy has everything. He's going to be a star," it's sobering to think of all the great work by people who did not have movie careers.

I did see an episode of Our Private World from YouTube, the short-lived primetime spinoff of As the World Turns, apparently the one episode without Eileen Fulton as Lisa. This particular episode was so slow-paced, with no real action in any storyline, and two actresses playing neurotic women who looked too much alike. that it's no surprise that the show was cancelled. It was nice to see actors like Nicolas Coster, David O'Brien, and Millette Alexander who would go on to better roles on daytime soaps, but too bad that neither Eileen Fulton, Geraldine Fitzgerald, nor Sam Groom was in this particular episode.

Thanks, TB. Like you, I was wondering if it was just me or my computer! I don't know anyone who is registered at soapoperanetwork.com. It's sobering to read posts by people saying how much they would love to see shows or eras of shows that I have actually seen.

As much fun as it was to see the young Christopher Reeve on Love of Life and think, "That guy has everything. He's going to be a star," it's sobering to think of all the great work by people who did not have movie careers.

I did see an episode of Our Private World from YouTube, the short-lived primetime spinoff of As the World Turns, apparently the one episode without Eileen Fulton as Lisa. This particular episode was so slow-paced, with no real action in any storyline, and two actresses playing neurotic women who looked too much alike. that it's no surprise that the show was cancelled. It was nice to see actors like Nicolas Coster, David O'Brien, and Millette Alexander who would go on to better roles on daytime soaps, but too bad that neither Eileen Fulton, Geraldine Fitzgerald, nor Sam Groom was in this particular episode.

I still read the posts on the Soapoperanetwork website. I love it when people share excerpts from the soap magazines of the 70s and 80s, or newspaper articles about production, casting and old schedule information.

It's funny you mention Love of Life and Christopher Reeve. I just watched a 1975 episode on YouTube the other night that features Reeve. The writing is highly contrived but the performances from each player, including Reeve, make it worth seeing. John Aniston is also involved in the action, playing an early soap role with a heavy accent. I had to laugh when I heard his accent as Eddie Aleata. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a Greek accent or just some generic European old world accent. He had a southern accent as Martin Tourneur on Search for Tomorrow for six years. Thank goodness he uses an American accent as Greek tycoon Victor Kiriakis on Days of Our Lives.

In the early 2000s, I was doing research at UCLA. All of the scripts for Our Private World are housed in a special collection at the university. I was curious about them, so I read several. The ones where Lisa (Fulton's character) had left Oakdale and went to Chicago were not bad. You could see the whole premise is that she was in over her head, a proverbial fish out of water, getting involved with a rich young doctor whose family thought she was a gold digger and kept trying to put her on the first bus back to Oakdale. The concept seemed viable for long-term drama. But maybe some of what made it on screen was not as good as what was on the written page.

In the early 1990s As the World Turns' great headwriter Doug Marland revisited that storyline. He revealed Lisa had secretly given birth to a child between the time Our Private World ended and she returned to As the World Turns months later. There had been a gap when Eileen Fulton took time off between both shows. So it was a perfect opportunity to say Lisa had been off somewhere having a baby fathered by the rich young Chicago doctor. In the newer storyline, Lisa was shown traveling from Oakdale to Chicago so she could check on the son she had given up, which was supposedly raised by his controlling grandmother.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info about OPW. If I recall, Edouard Aleata was supposed to be Italian, but why he had a French first name was never explained.

Like you, I enjoy seeing the excerpts from contemporary magazines on the soapoperanetwork,com website. Among other things, it's fun to see the messages for those in the know about actors who were "confirmed bachelors" or who had never met the right girl, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info about OPW. If I recall, Edouard Aleata was supposed to be Italian, but why he had a French first name was never explained.

Like you, I enjoy seeing the excerpts from contemporary magazines on the soapoperanetwork,com website. Among other things, it's fun to see the messages for those in the know about actors who were "confirmed bachelors" or who had never met the right girl, etc.

Thanks for the background on the Eddie Aleata character. John Aniston appeared on Love of Life from 1974-78. During the first and second seasons of Kojak, which was also filmed in New York, he had small roles as villains. He and Telly Savalas were obviously close, since Telly was a godfather to Jennifer Aniston.

It's interesting to see Aniston play more Greek type characters on Kojak but then play an Italian on Love of Life and a southern Frenchman on Search for Tomorrow. Of course, he is most identified with his long-running role on Days of Our Lives where he has played Greek tycoon Victor Kiriakis from 1985 until the present.

Or women who were single because "the right man hasn't asked me".

I did not know Jada Rowland shared the role of Carolee on The Doctors with Ms. Campbell who originated it.   I remember her as Amy Ames on The Secret Storm when she worked with the wonderful Jed Allen who could be uproariously funny, romantic, or viciously rotten as the roles (he also did Days of Our Lives, Santa Barbara and one where he played a gangster to Donna Mills's showgirl, "Rocket") required.  I really enjoyed watching Carolee turn David O'Brien's playboy doctor away from the glamour girls and finally realize she was the one he wanted to settle down with.  Despite the storyline she was far from plain.  She didn't do badly in real life either as she married Hector Elizando.      

• Like 2

Wouldbestar, I believe that Carolee Campbell left The Doctors when Hector Elizondo's career heated up and he began doing more movies and primetime TV in Hollywood. I'm glad you mentioned her, because no one else on TV was quite like Carolee Campbell. She began as a day player, just one of the nurses in the background who had a few lines now and then. She was especially good at adding realistic humorous touches to her lines and actions. Not a beauty queen, she nonetheless had so much vivacity and humor that she was very appealing. Down to earth, but never a dull moment: sounds like a great combination to me.

Eventually the powers that be realized what a gem they had and made her a regular, also giving her first name to the character. When they paired her with David O'Brien, things just kept getting better. They liked working together so much that they said in interviews they would never want to play their roles opposite anyone else. I'd love to see those early courtship episodes.

The Doctors made the great move of replacing a star with a star when Carolee Campbell left. Jada Rowland had started on The Secret Storm when she was young (about five or so) and literally grew up on the show, with occasional departures and returns. When I first saw her, she was an adult, beautiful and intelligent, the center of the show. She could do lightly comic or heavily dramatic scenes with equal skill. When The Secret Storm was canceled, she eventually took over the role of Carolee on The Doctors, and when The Doctors was canceled, she went on to have another career as an artist and book illustrator. In fact, she illustrated a book by a friend of mine.

Because of Jada Rowland, quite a number of girls were named Jada, pronounced "Jayda," like Jada Pinkett Smith. However, Jada Rowland was named for the song "Ja-Da," pronounced "Jahda." She has a website which shows some of her artwork.

• Like 2

Wouldbestar, I believe that Carolee Campbell left The Doctors when Hector Elizondo's career heated up and he began doing more movies and primetime TV in Hollywood. I'm glad you mentioned her, because no one else on TV was quite like Carolee Campbell. She began as a day player, just one of the nurses in the background who had a few lines now and then. She was especially good at adding realistic humorous touches to her lines and actions. Not a beauty queen, she nonetheless had so much vivacity and humor that she was very appealing. Down to earth, but never a dull moment: sounds like a great combination to me.

Eventually the powers that be realized what a gem they had and made her a regular, also giving her first name to the character. When they paired her with David O'Brien, things just kept getting better. They liked working together so much that they said in interviews they would never want to play their roles opposite anyone else. I'd love to see those early courtship episodes.

The Doctors made the great move of replacing a star with a star when Carolee Campbell left. Jada Rowland had started on The Secret Storm when she was young (about five or so) and literally grew up on the show, with occasional departures and returns. When I first saw her, she was an adult, beautiful and intelligent, the center of the show. She could do lightly comic or heavily dramatic scenes with equal skill. When The Secret Storm was canceled, she eventually took over the role of Carolee on The Doctors, and when The Doctors was canceled, she went on to have another career as an artist and book illustrator. In fact, she illustrated a book by a friend of mine.

Because of Jada Rowland, quite a number of girls were named Jada, pronounced "Jayda," like Jada Pinkett Smith. However, Jada Rowland was named for the song "Ja-Da," pronounced "Jahda." She has a website which shows some of her artwork.

I'm sure her husband's career played a part in her leaving, but another big reason was she had other interests to pursue...photography, writing, other artistic endeavors.  I've read a partial article about her decision to leave where she talks about other things she wants to do.  I've found her Carolee to be a character that would appeal to the viewers (mainly women) as someone they could relate to (at least I could.) Not glamorous like Elizabeth Hubbard's Althea, but so appealing.

• Like 2