Sign in to follow this  
kingrat

Classic Daytime Soap Operas on YouTube

46 posts in this topic

Yes, this belongs in the off-topic thread, but that seems to be almost entirely devoted to election stuff. Although many primetime shows of the past were saved, many of the tapes for daytime soaps were simply wiped and re-used. Although The Doctors and Ryan's Hope were apparently saved, most were not.

Fortunately, some episodes of vintage 1950s-1970s daytime soaps have been posted on YouTube. These are some of the things I've stumbled upon:

--A mid-50s episode of The Secret Storm that included scenes with Haila Stoddard as Aunt Pauline. She was one of the first actresses to be noted for playing a soap villainess. She's not very wicked in the show I saw, but it was good  to have seen her at least once.

--I never saw Rosemary Prinz when she became a big star as Penny on As the World Turns. A mid-1950s episode has Penny exchanging snark for snark with her new (and unwelcome) sister-in-law Lisa (Eileen Fulton, of course). This episode also has Ruth Warrick as Penny's aunt Edith. Penny had idolized her aunt until she found out that Edith was having an affair with the father of Penny's best friend. It was good to see Ruth Warrick playing serious rather than campy, as she did to great acclaim on All My Children.

• Like 1

Yes, this belongs in the off-topic thread, but that seems to be almost entirely devoted to election stuff. Although many primetime shows of the past were saved, many of the tapes for daytime soaps were simply wiped and re-used. Although The Doctors and Ryan's Hope were apparently saved, most were not.

Fortunately, some episodes of vintage 1950s-1970s daytime soaps have been posted on YouTube. These are some of the things I've stumbled upon:

--A mid-50s episode of The Secret Storm that included scenes with Haila Stoddard as Aunt Pauline. She was one of the first actresses to be noted for playing a soap villainess. She's not very wicked in the show I saw, but it was good  to have seen her at least once.

--I never saw Rosemary Prinz when she became a big star as Penny on As the World Turns. A mid-1950s episode has Penny exchanging snark for snark with her new (and unwelcome) sister-in-law Lisa (Eileen Fulton, of course). This episode also has Ruth Warrick as Penny's aunt Edith. Penny had idolized her aunt until she found out that Edith was having an affair with the father of Penny's best friend. It was good to see Ruth Warrick playing serious rather than campy, as she did to great acclaim on All My Children.

It is my understanding that most soap operas cover current events \ themes as part of their slow plot development.     Therefore an old soap would be very 'dated'.    Of course movies can be as well.        I just wonder how many people would be interested in watching old soap operas.    But hey,  I'm watching game shows from the 50s - 70s and I find these interesting.  

I remember ANOTHER WORLD. It was a Procter & Gamble production and, therefore, those vintage episodes do not survive. For years, the leading characters were Steve, Alice and Rachel and that triangle became one of the most popular soap storylines. Alice's sister (Pat) and brother (Russ) were also prominent characters.

• Like 1

I'd be more interested in them to try and spot "big names" before they became big and did soap operas early on.  And some wound up on some of them AFTER a fairly good film and TV career.

Recently( over the weekend), I saw an old episode of "The Rifleman" in which actor PHILIP CAREY appeared.   I first knew him as Captain Parmalee from the TV western show LAREDO in the mid '60's.  My ex used to watch the soap ONE LIFE TO LIVE.  I came home from work one day and it was on.  And I spotted Carey on there as the character ASA BUCHANAN, a businessman of some kind.

He's had a varied but active career before hand.  And the list of "stars" that launched from soaps is kinds long.

I'll leave it up to someone with more time on their hands to tackle. ;)

Sepiatone

I remember ANOTHER WORLD. It was a Procter & Gamble production and, therefore, those vintage episodes do not survive. For years, the leading characters were Steve, Alice and Rachel and that triangle became one of the most popular soap storylines. Alice's sister (Pat) and brother (Russ) were also prominent characters.

Another World was one of the best, especially from about 1965 to 1975. YouTube has the July 1-3, 1968 episodes which covered Lenore's wedding to Walter Curtin. Unfortunately, neither the picture quality (in B&W) nor the sound quality is good. It's fascinating to see the long shadows cast by the events of these particular episodes. Steven Frame meets both Alice and Rachel on this day, and with hindsight we know that Walter is going to murder the man he mistakenly believes to be his wife's lover. Audra Lindley makes a brief appearance as Liz Matthews; those who know Audra Lindley from Three's Company or movies like Cannery Row would scarcely believe that she set the standard for malevolent mothers-in-law.

I also enjoyed seeing a few episodes of As the World Turns from 1980 when they brought back Joyce Hughes, believed to have died in a car crash after trying to kill her lover and shooting her husband instead. Joyce is the unusual villain who is fragile and vulnerable, even sympathetic, just the kind of woman a man would want to comfort and help. That would be a big mistake. Barbara Rodell plays the part perfectly, and the role may have been tailored to reflect the vulnerability she projects. I'd like to see this whole story play out. These episodes are in color, with good picture quality, except that blonde hair looks brassy and unattractive.

For those interested in seeing movies stars before they were famous, I'm not sure if Christopher Reeve's work on Love of Life is available. He looked like a star from the get-go, with lots of intelligence and a great sense of humor.

James, the soaps at this period rarely referred to current events. The 1950s soaps, from what I can tell, are generally slow-moving, as the radio soaps were, and they have (ugh) organ music. Still, they have some fine performers.

• Like 1

I'd be more interested in them to try and spot "big names" before they became big and did soap operas early on.  And some wound up on some of them AFTER a fairly good film and TV career.

Recently( over the weekend), I saw an old episode of "The Rifleman" in which actor PHILIP CAREY appeared.   I first knew him as Captain Parmalee from the TV western show LAREDO in the mid '60's.  My ex used to watch the soap ONE LIFE TO LIVE.  I came home from work one day and it was on.  And I spotted Carey on there as the character ASA BUCHANAN, a businessman of some kind.

He's had a varied but active career before hand.  And the list of "stars" that launched from soaps is kinds long.

I'll leave it up to someone with more time on their hands to tackle. ;)

Sepiatone

And out here in the western states there was a potato chip company named "Granny Goose", and I remember watching the following starring Phil Carey in their television commercials back in the '60s...

(...for a while out this way, the catchphrases of "You may not believe this, but my name is 'Granny Goose'!", and "Want's in the bag, Goose?" became quite popular...in fact, I remember a guy in Jr. High winning his position by a landslide as our student body president when during the student assembly to present all the candidates to us, the guy opened his introduction with, "You may not believe this, but my name is 'Granny Goose', OOPS, I mean 'James Hennesey'!")

Bummer!  After 20 years of being a customer I worked for the late Morrison Cafeteria Company in the late 60s.  During the lunch/dinner break a batch of us would head to the break room to catch that day's episode.  This included the 70+ Captain of the Waiters who'd put me in high chairs as a toddler.  George Reinholt (Steve) was as big a star as Tony Geary (GH's Luke) would be ten years later; he even did a centerfold-with fig leaf covering a strategic spot-for a women's magazine and yes, I bought it.  Like Geary he was not classically handsome but had that "it" that made you not care.  Unfortunately he didn't handle success as well as Geary and came to a sad end.  I'd love to see him in action again as well as Jacquie Courtney as the sweet, innocent Alice and Robin Strasser as the naughty Rachel.       

Also I saw the two actors who played Russ on TV this week:  Sam Groom on The Time Tunnel and David Bailey on Law & Order.  The longest serving actress to play Pat, Patricia Kalembar, did several L&O episodes and was one of the Sisters on that great old show. 

Rosematy Prinz's co-star was Mark Rydell as Jeff, the rich bad boy who reforms when he falls for good-girl Penny.  Like Luke, he was supposed to be a temporary character but the fans loved him so much the writers had to bring him back and marry the two off in a big wedding-sound familiar?  When Rydell left the show to start working as a director-great career move-soaps weren't covered by the press as they later were and the viewers had no idea the car wreck would be fatal.  (I still remember the scene where his brother-in-law doctor tells his boss that "he didn't make it"). I knew it was just TV in my head but the rest of me grieved as if he was a real person.  They are considered the first "supercouple" of the soaps.  Thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

In 2008 and 2009, when streaming was relatively new online, Procter & Gamble made episodes of many classic soaps available on an AOL channel it created.

As the World Turns and Guiding Light were still in production (though both shows would soon be cancelled), so P&G did not put any of those online. But you could stream episodes from four older soaps-- Another World; its short-lived spinoff Texas; The Edge of Night; and Search for Tomorrow. Incidentally, P&G aired reruns of Edge and Search on the USA Network at night in the late 80s.

The company started saving all videotaped episodes from 1977 forward. They did this, because there was a market to syndicate them in foreign countries. As a result, there are some late 70s episodes of Guiding Light (when the show was still known as The Guiding Light) that can be purchased from a German media company.

• Like 1

Bummer!  After 20 years of being a customer I worked for the late Morrison Cafeteria Company in the late 60s.  During the lunch/dinner break a batch of us would head to the break room to catch that day's episode.  This included the 70+ Captain of the Waiters who'd put me in high chairs as a toddler.  George Reinholt (Steve) was as big a star as Tony Geary (GH's Luke) would be ten years later; he even did a centerfold-with fig leaf covering a strategic spot-for a women's magazine and yes, I bought it.  Like Geary he was not classically handsome but had that "it" that made you not care.  Unfortunately he didn't handle success as well as Geary and came to a sad end.  I'd love to see him in action again as well as Jacquie Courtney as the sweet, innocent Alice and Robin Strasser as the naughty Rachel.       

Also I saw the two actors who played Russ on TV this week:  Sam Groom on The Time Tunnel and David Bailey on Law & Order.  The longest serving actress to play Pat, Patricia Kalembar, did several L&O episodes and was one of the Sisters on that great old show. 

Rosematy Prinz's co-star was Mark Rydell as Jeff, the rich bad boy who reforms when he falls for good-girl Penny.  Like Luke, he was supposed to be a temporary character but the fans loved him so much the writers had to bring him back and marry the two off in a big wedding-sound familiar?  When Rydell left the show to start working as a director-great career move-soaps weren't covered by the press as they later were and the viewers had no idea the car wreck would be fatal.  (I still remember the scene where his brother-in-law doctor tells his boss that "he didn't make it"). I knew it was just TV in my head but the rest of me grieved as if he was a real person.  They are considered the first "supercouple" of the soaps.  Thanks for the memories.

Pat Randolph was played by Beverly Penberthy...and she was excellent.

• Like 1

Another World was one of my favorites. Ada (Rachel's mother) was another long-time character, played by Constance Ford.

• Like 2

I remember ONE LIFE TO LIVE at one point had WALTER SLEZAK's daughter ERIKA in the cast.  She was on board until the end.  Also, at the time my EX started watching it( summer '73) it had in it's cast..

TOMMY LEE JONES

TOM BERRINGER

AL FREEMAN Jr.

LAURENCE FISHBURN

JUDITH LIGHT

And many others since then who also went on to bigger things.  And then some wound up on soaps when their careers were waning...

I recall TONY DOW being on GENERAL HOSPITAL  for a spell, along with BOB HASTINGS( of McHALE'S NAVY ) on there, too.

I someimes wonder if we should call them SPRINGBOARD OPERAS instead!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I remember ONE LIFE TO LIVE at one point had WALTER SLEZAK's daughter ERIKA in the cast. 

An actress I worked with several times had a regular role on One Life to Live. Her name was Patricia Elliott. She played Renee Divine Buchanan. Patricia won a Tony Award for Featured Actress for her role as the Countess in the original production of A Little Night Music. Pat was a lovely person -- she died far too young, last December.

• Like 1

I watched Edge of Night, The Secret Storm, Another World and Days of Our Lives when I was a kid. I stopped watching soaps in the 1980's although did watch Luke and Laura's wedding on GH. I think their wedding at the time was big news. So many wonderful actors and actresses were on the soaps. Hugh Marlowe was in the cast of Another World. Constance Ford was great as Rachel's mother Ada. When Robin Strasser left the show, Victoria Wyndham took the role over. A really great actress Ann Wedgeworth played Lahoma and Linda Dano as the flamboyant Felicia Gallant.

I loved Days of Our Lives with MacDonald Cary. The cast was wonderful. Gloria Loring was in the cast and married to Alan Thicke at that time. I was always amazed when I'd see Gloria Loring's name credited for writing theme songs for tv shows. She wrote and sang the theme song for the tv show Facts of Life.

I grew tired of soaps but loved them and was addicted to them for a long time starting as a kid when I'd get home from school. Years later when my oldest daughter was a baby when she'd nap, I'd fold the laundry and watch my soaps. Thanks for the heads up about the soaps on youtube I might just watch one or 2 for memories sake.

• Like 2

I remember one that my mother watched, late 60s or early 70s where Jan Sterling showed up as a sort of villaness. Guiding Light or Secret Storm maybe?

I watched Edge of Night, The Secret Storm, Another World and Days of Our Lives when I was a kid.

I recall coming home from school and watching Edge of Night on a regular basis with my Mom. John Larkin as Detective Mike Karr made a big impression upon me. The one episode, in particular, that was an emotional killer for us was when Karr's wife, Sarah, died. We were in tears.

Interestingly, that episode I just discovered is available on You Tube. The visuals aren't very good but I may take a look at it - first time seeing it since its live 1961 broadcast. If I start to blubber again things haven't changed that much for me.

• Like 1

Prince Saliano  wrote:  Pat Randolph was played by Beverly Penberthy...and she was excellent.

I remember her as well.  There were at least two actresses playing Pat over the years, maybe three.  The actor who played her husband must have felt like a bigamist.

My Grandmother used to watch ANOTHER WORLD.  When I dropped in for a visit one day and it was on, I noticed a familiar face.  I asked her, "Who's THAT guy?"  and she told me, "Oh, he just started on this show."  I then told her, "Well, he JUST DIED on a DIFFERENT SOAP last WEEK!"  :D

It was actor LEE PATTERSON, who played Joe Riley, one of Victoria Lord's husbands on OLTL, and was "killed off" and then went to be DR. KEVIN COOK on ANOTHER WORLD!

Sepiatone

• Like 3

My Grandmother used to watch ANOTHER WORLD.  When I dropped in for a visit one day and it was on, I noticed a familiar face.  I asked her, "Who's THAT guy?"  and she told me, "Oh, he just started on this show."  I then told her, "Well, he JUST DIED on a DIFFERENT SOAP last WEEK!"  :D

It was actor LEE PATTERSON, who played Joe Riley, one of Victoria Lord's husbands on OLTL, and was "killed off" and then went to be DR. KEVIN COOK on ANOTHER WORLD!

Sepiatone

This was after he'd been a star on prime time TV at WB in Surfside 6. The first time I ever watched OLTL he was in a scene with Anthony Ponzini, who obviously had Italian roots but played a Polish-American truck driver.  I was stunned to see working-class, Catholic non-WASPS in a soap and kept watching.  I soon found out the town also had blacks and Jews, one of whom was a Riley in-law.  This was the work of Agnes Nixon, who died last week at 93.  Her soaps worked because they had "real people" you could identify with.           

Agnes Nixon, who died a few days ago, created the Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle and some of the other stories that made Another World one of the best soaps of the late 60s. She also created All My Children and One Life to Live, among other shows.

• Like 1

Agnes Nixon, who died a few days ago, created the Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle and some of the other stories that made Another World one of the best soaps of the late 60s. She also created All My Children and One Life to Live, among other shows.

She also gave AW fans the Lee, Sam and Lahoma triangle which introduced us to Jordan Charney and made me a lifelong fan of the incredible Ann Wedgeworth; both would later do stints on Three's Company among other things.  I believe that Walter-Lenore wedding has the scene where her country-girl Lahoma catches the bouquet knowing Sam is engaged to uptown girl Lee; she breaks your heart without saying a word.  She wins out anyway and the couple got their own soap, Somerset.  I've always wondered why she never did Designing Women as she was tailor-made for one of those roles.   

The Edge of Night and As the World Turns both debuted on the say day in April, 1956.  They were half-hour shows which was an event at that time as the rest of the CBS soaps were 15-minute programs all four playing between noon and one.

She also gave AW fans the Lee, Sam and Lahoma triangle which introduced us to Jordan Charney and made me a lifelong fan of the incredible Ann Wedgeworth; both would later do stints on Three's Company among other things.  I believe that Walter-Lenore wedding has the scene where her country-girl Lahoma catches the bouquet knowing Sam is engaged to uptown girl Lee; she breaks your heart without saying a word.  She wins out anyway and the couple got their own soap, Somerset.  I've always wondered why she never did Designing Women as she was tailor-made for one of those roles.  

Linda Bloodworth (the creator/headwriter of Designing Women) hired Ann Wedgeworth for a different show-- Evening Shade, where she was perfect as Charles Durning's wife during the four seasons it was on the air. She was probably too similar to Dixie Carter to be used on DW. Incidentally, Dixie Carter played a popular character on The Edge of Night in the mid-70s.

Speaking of Another World: I was also a big fan of Lisa Cameron, who played Susan Matthews, the unfortunate daughter of Liz Matthews. She and John Cunningham as Dr. Dan Shearer made a terrific couple. John Cunningham has gone on to have a stage career and voiceover spots. He provided the voice for the "Manly Man" video in In and Out. When Harding Lemay took over as headwriter in 1971, he wrote out Lisa Cameron and John Cunningham because he thought there were too many blonde actresses on the show. [unprintable response]

Fans of Another World may enjoy checking out anotherworldhomepage.com, which has plot synopses by year and character guides, among other things.

"Lahoma Vane" is one of the most perfect character names ever invented, and Ann Wedgeworth turned what was supposed to be a short-term role into a career, because everyone knew how to write for her. I love this priceless bit of dialogue from the movie Scarecrow, where Ann Wedgeworth played a character named Frenchy and Gene Hackman played an ex-con:

Ann Wedgeworth (as seductively as possible): "What did you miss most in prison?"

Gene Hackman (without batting an eye): "Home cooking."

• Like 1

Incidentally, Dixie Carter played a popular character on The Edge of Night in the mid-70s.

She certainly did; her name was Brandy Henderson, a D. A.  Her leading man was either Donald May who also starred in Another World and Texas or Barry Newman who starred in the Movie, The Lawyer,  which was the basis for the TV series Petrocelli.  She left it for a Broadway musical role and prime-time success.  Her husband, Hal Holbrook, was on The Brighter Day where I first became aware of him as well as Patty Duke who played his daughter.  As the thread says the people who began or furthered their careers in the soaps make up an almost unbelievable array of talent.     

• Like 2

She certainly did; her name was Brandy Henderson, a D. A.  Her leading man either Donald May who also starred in Another World and Texas or Barry Newman who starred in the Movie, The Lawyer,  which was the basis for the TV series Petrocelli.  She left it for a Broadway musical role and prime-time success.  Her husband, Hal Holbrook, was on The Brighter Day where I first became aware of him as well as Patty Duke who played his daughter.  As the thread says the people who began or furthered their careers in the soaps make up an almost unbelievable array of talent.     

Years later Dixie returned to her soap opera roots when she played Kyle MacLachlan's evil mother in several episodes of Desperate Housewives.