Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

December 2016 TCM Spotlight: The Golden Years

5 posts in this topic

​TCM's Spotlight will shine on cinematic depictions of old age, Tuesdays in December.

MakeWFT_470x350.jpg

​Beulah Bondi and Victor Moore in MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW ('37), airing December 6 on TCM.

December 6

​MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (1937)

A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL (1985)

I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER (1970)

TOKYO STORY (1953)

trip-to-bountiful-geraldine-page.jpg

​Geraldine Page won the Best Actress Oscar for her performance in A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL ('85), airing December 6 on TCM.

​December 13

​UMBERTO D. (1952)

WILD STRAWBERRIES (1957)

IKIRU (1954)

THE BALLAD OF NARAYAMA (1958)

9358-004-DA85A4B0.jpg

​Pioneering Swedish director Victor Sjostrom steps in front of the camera in Ingmar Bergman's WILD STRAWBERRIES ('57), airing December 13 on TCM.

​December 20

​RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (1962)

THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA (1958)

DEATH OF A SALESMAN (1985)

THE SUNSHINE BOYS (1975)

GOING IN STYLE (1979)

148770473.jpg

Dustin Hoffman starred in the 1984 Broadway revival of Arthur Miller's DEATH OF A SALESMAN. He picked up an Emmy and a Golden Globe the following year reprising the role in a TV movie, airing December 20 on TCM. That's Arthur Miller in the background, by the way.

​December 27

​ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944)

GREY GARDENS (1975)

THE WHALES OF AUGUST (1987)

TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT (1972)

lillian-gish-bette-davis-vincent-price-a

​Vincent Price, Ann Sothern, Bette Davis and Lillian Gish star in THE WHALES OF AUGUST ('87), airing December 27 on TCM.

It's a different sort of spotlight for TCM, but I think it misses the mark. This was a perfect opportunity to shine the light on Hollywood ageism. They could have picked films that showed the kinds of roles actresses (and actors) of a certain age have been required to take to keep their film careers going.

It's a different sort of spotlight for TCM, but I think it misses the mark. This was a perfect opportunity to shine the light on Hollywood ageism. They could have picked films that showed the kinds of roles actresses (and actors) of a certain age have been required to take to keep their film careers going.

Yeah, I kind of agree. It's hard to find fault with this lineup, because there are some terrific films included. But it might have been more compelling if they'd selected WICKED STEPMOTHER instead of THE WHALES OF AUGUST, for example. Or some of those dreadful disaster movies Henry Fonda did in the late '70s.

Yeah, I kind of agree. It's hard to find fault with this lineup, because there are some terrific films included. But it might have been more compelling if they'd selected WICKED STEPMOTHER instead of THE WHALES OF AUGUST, for example. Or some of those dreadful disaster movies Henry Fonda did in the late '70s.

Perhaps because of the holiday season they wanted warmer feel-good type movies. But they could have really turned this into a series with guests to help break down the barriers facing older performers. Maybe they will do something like that later on.

• Like 1

Filmmaker Julie Dash is the guest host for this month's TCM Spotlight. Dash previously co-hosted an evening of films on TCM last October with Illeana Douglas as part of TCM's Trailblazing Women series.

julie1.jpg?w=1920