CynthiaV

A Place To Tell Dr. Edwards Thanks (and any one else you'd like to thank)

59 posts in this topic

I hope no one minds I began this post. This post is for any one who would also like to add their thanks. I just thought it would be nice to have a post set up to say thanks to Dr. Edwards and also fellow classmates and honored guests like Dr. Gehring and Vince Cellini.

Thanks so much Dr. Edwards for teaching me to see Slapstick, "with new eyes." For sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge, your love of this artform and its many comedians and eras. For finding fun and interesting ways of teaching this considerable and influential genre. For helping me see the order within the seeming disorder. For caring and taking the time.

Thanks to Dr. Gehring for bringing his expertise, the depth and breadth of his vast knowledge and sharing it with everyone. Thanks for connecting the dots...

Thanks to Vince Cellini for his time and enthusiasm. Thanks for asking the questions I would have asked and for sharing the fun of Studio J with the class. And I agree, it's just not the Stooges without Curly.

Thanks to my fellow classmates for sharing your knowledge, for your insights, opinions and encouragement. For sharing your love of the people, eras and movies of Slapstick. Most especially for making this a safe and welcoming place to share and discuss any and everything even when we disagreed.

I'm really going to miss every one of you. I loved these past six weeks and look forward to our paths crossing again very soon. Best wishes to all.

And my thanks to Buster Keaton...you'll always be the king of Slapstick to me...

https://youtu.be/UWEjxkkB8Xs

• Like 10

WOW!  What a wonderful experience this has been!  The credits are starting to roll and the exit music is playing!

Like others, major kudos to TCM, Ball State, Dr. Edwards, Vince Cellini, Dr. Wes Gehring, and Greg Proops for a month like no other.  

Having used Canvas for my own classes, I also appreciate - aside from the instructional design, interesting content, engagement of learners, and the enlightenment and fun of it all - the hard work that it takes to structure such an online learning experience.  The mechanics behind the scenes are much like the production of the many movies we have seen and been exposed to.  

I sincerely mean it when I say: I wonder what Tuesday and Wednesday nights will be like without this course, since it was both a pleasure and privilege to spend those evenings with like minded individuals across the globe.  I was never much of a twit (if that is the proper name of a Twitter subscriber) until this course, but have enjoyed tweeting while we watch the movies together.  (This is starting to have the length of an Oscar acceptance speech, when the orchestra is playing the GET OFF THE STAGE music!, yet it is heartfelt!)

While I was not able to see ALL of the films, I did see the majority of them.  Some I liked better than others, but that is to be expected.  I am facing some involved sinus surgery in the month of October - and as they say laughter is the best medicine, so I have my list of unseen movies from the OUCH! list (how appropriate!) with which to mend.  I just hope after surgery I don't die laughing or snort (since that may be painful!) while making my way through my Letterbox watchlist.

Well, enough of profuse praise.  I do hope we have another class of this nature - personally, I vote for one on musicals in film, since I am a junkie of that genre.  

But in closing, I want to share this from You Tube:  

I do love to laugh, and again - thank you ALL for that!   :D

• Like 8

Thanks, Cynthia, for setting up this post, and thanks to all for a wonderful class, especially Dr. Edwards who has once again set aside so much of his time for us and put up such a great effort for us all.

• Like 7

May I also add my thanks and appreciation to Dr. Edwards, Vince Cellini, and Wes Gehring for passing on their knowledge for us.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this.  I have two movies left to watch, take the last quiz and of course the final exam.  As CynthiaV said it's been a treat to watch these slapstick films through new eyes.

My favorite will always be Charlie Chaplin.  Actually, the last film, Sidewalk Stories, reminds me of The Kid. Although, this wasn't as sad as The Kid (I cry my eyes out every time I watch it), but certainly a take off on it.  The homeless man, finds a baby, raising it, and then the rightful people show up - in the case of Sidewalk Stories, he finds the mother, and in The Kid, the orphanage reclaims him. I guess it was fitting to end with a silent film as we started with one - Tillie's Punctured Romance.

As an aside, I've noticed that while the earlier movies were laugh out loud funny, but without sexual innuendo and language.  As we get closer to the current time, there's so much of it, and used to draw a laugh.  I will always prefer the earlier films.

Again, my thanks to Dr. Edwards and wait to see what you come up with next year (PLEASE?) The insight that Dr. Gehring provided was enlightening and filled in some gaps for me.  And another thank you to Vince Cellini and Greg Proops who introduced all the films; like having Ben Mankiewicz intro a film.  Thanks to all for adding their knowledge and thoughts too.

Best,

Judy B.

• Like 6

So I took this course to support TCM whose films I enjoy immensely. I also wanted to support online courses, Canvas, Dr Edwards and Ball State U. The combination is amazing. I love Film Noir and enjoyed that course, so I thought I would take this one. I watch (record to watch later) TCM's Sunday Silents. Since this was the starting point for this course, I thought I would learn something and did. Thank you so much

• Like 5

Thank you Dr. Edwards and  the enlightening material and feedback from all participants.

So many clowns, so little time.

By far, my favorite Monty Python scene of all time. Thanks for posting!

• Like 4

Thank you Dr. Edwards, Dr. Gehring, Vince Cellini and TCM for the films, the forums and the insights. Big thanks also to Ball State University and Canvas for not only making this class possible but for making it work. I've been fascinated with movies since I was a child, took a film class in college eons ago and am fortunate enough to know a few people who have worked in the industry so I wasn't sure I would gain many new insights into film let alone a genre I've always been especially fond of. I was wrong. This class has been incredibly informative and surprisingly comprehensive given the compressed time frame. Kudos to everybody for doing a great job and keeping it fun at the same time. I was afraid that the laughter might evaporate once put under a microscope but that, thankfully, turned out not to be the case.

Most of all I'd like to thank my fellow classmates for making these message boards so insightful and entertaining. It's been a privilege to share a little bit of cyber space with such a well informed and civil group of people. Your enthusiasm has been contagious and everybody brought something to the table. I'm honored to have shared this experience with you all. It sure beats arguing with strangers on facebook.

And re CynthiaV, I was fortunate enough to see the earliest restorations of Buster Keaton's films with a series of appreciative audiences in that film class I took so long ago, an experience I'll never forget. I agree, Keaton rules, but as magical and revealing as the study of these films is, I urge everyone to seek them out in theaters and share the laughter.

• Like 7

“. . . As so many of you have noted on the message boards, many of us won’t be able to look at a pie in the face in quite the same way ever again—and that is a good thing! I have always found that when I get more knowledge about film, my love for the movies deepens! Critical understanding and an unabashed joy of watching movies do not need to be opposing attitudes—they go great together! . . .”

I guess Dr. Edwards said it best at Canvas, but it certainly bears repeating.

Thanks again to him and to Vince Cellini and Wes Gehring and everyone who put this course together. It was a grand success, and I am already looking forward to the next one.

How about:

The Evolution of the Hays Code and Industry Rating Systems: Pre-Code to the Present?!

• Like 5

Going to try this again.  My ability to post comments has been pretty inconsistent.  But..... Thanks Dr. Edwards, the students, Ball State, TCM, CanvasNet for this great class.

Really enjoyed this and have some sadness that it has come to an end.  What a great diversion from the election this has been!

Learned a lot.  Still not a fan of "newer" films, but I did watch a couple and saw them with a different "eye" than I had before. 

Max Linder and Jacques Tati are new favs.

Thanks so much Dr. Edwards.

Now, will someone please throw me a life saver!

• Like 4

I would like to thank everyone who was involved in making this happen. I took a course with Dr Wes Gehring at Ball State and really enjoyed it and this course was just as good. Again thanks to all.

• Like 4

Well I just finished the final so that’s that, I guess.  No Daily Dose tomorrow.  No slapstick films to watch on Tuesday.  But what a fun and eye opening experience we’ve had, eh.  So thanks to Dr. Edwards and his Ball State student assistants.  Thanks to Wes Gehring (and I will read some of your thirty-six books).  Vince Cellini was an inspired addition to the course.  Thank you, Vince.  Thanks to Ball State, Canvas Network, and especially to TCM (and host Greg Proops).  Also a big thank you to my fellow students whose insightful comments on this forum have added so much to my learning experience.  Looking forward to the next TCM/Ball State collaboration. 

• Like 4

I just finished the final too, and I'm a proud holder of all five Slapstick Fall badges.  :D

Thank you TCM and Dr. Edwards for putting this course together.  I had a great time learning about the history of slapstick films, and really enjoyed seeing everyone's comments on the Daily Doses here on the message boards.  I wish I had more time to watch the movies with the live tweeting.  I did check in often with searches for #SlapstickFall to see the tweets later.

Thanks to Dr. Gehring and Vince Cellini for participating in the videos.  They added a nice variety to the printed modules and emailed Daily Doses.  I really enjoyed the breakdown of a gag videos, particularly the Marx brothers in the stateroom, and the illustration of the composition of the people in the frame to really show the chaos that was going on.

Thanks to everyone that participated in the comments here on these boards.  It was great seeing everyone's views on movies, and providing their views and insights to the questions that Dr. Edwards asked.

I really enjoyed the format of the online course to talk about films, and I hope that another course is offered in the future.

"Everybody knows there ain't no Sanity Clause..."

• Like 5

Thanks for the technical line ups for the jokes. Everything moves so fast in a movie, you do not see the careful staging used. I was not familiar with Charlie Chase. He is very Hal Roach. I feel fortunate that as a child I got to see many of these great comedians' work on TV. It was all new to me, and I loved it.

I took the Film Noir course last year. I look forward to the next offering by TCM.

• Like 3

As a Film Noir veteran, I was delighted to see another course, and Slapstick was fun (and exaggerated, ritualistic, make-believe, etc.) I learned a lot about film history and came to a new appreciation of some classics. Everybody was great -- Wes Gehring knows a lot, breakdowns of gags were really helpful, and love those Daily Doses. I'll certainly look forward to the next offering from Dr. Edwards or any other expert that partners with TCM. TCM has the most clever programming and courses like this is a great way to build a discerning audience.  THANK YOU. 

• Like 3

At the risk of sounding like an echo, I too must tip my cap to the wonderful work from all involved. I wasn't sure what to expect when I signed up for Film Noir last year, but one interaction with Dr. Edwards showed that we would not only have expert guidance, but also be led by a fellow fan of the subject matter. Improving the video segments this year by incorporating more visual tools was a nice bonus. And it was a great surprise to see my old sports reporter fave Vince Cellini was a slapstick buff!

Like noir, I had already had broad exposure to a large portion of the filmography, but watching these films again with fresh eyes (and the comments from both instructors and fellow students) was a great pleasure. My personal schedule this Summer meant 2-3 visits a week instead of a daily plunge, but the material was structured so clearly and logically that doubling up on the "Daily Dose" was a pure joy.

I'm about to go through the final post and final exam and it's a bittersweet feeling - I wish it would continue for weeks. But absence makes the heart grow fonder - let's hope that next Summer we are immersed in a study of Westerns or crime films or science fiction! And with Dr. Edwards getting great assistance from experts like Eddie Muller (film noir) and Dr. Gehring (slapstick), we will once again be in great hands.

I'll try not to be a stranger on the boards during down time and hope some of my fellow students post occasionally as well.

• Like 6

Thank you Dr. Edwards and crew for all the hard work to put this class together, your work is much appreciated. Growing up in the late 1940's and early 1950's, I mostly saw and liked Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, the Marx brothers, and the Three Stooges. Those were my guys. After the class I can much more appreciate Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd.

Suggestions for the next class:

1. Mysteries

2. Film development and history of other countries. I understand this could be not very popular. But in some ways foreign films are so different from American films.

• Like 3

Thank you Dr. Edwards and crew for all the hard work to put this class together, your work is much appreciated. Growing up in the late 1940's and early 1950's, I mostly saw and liked Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, the Marx brothers, and the Three Stooges. Those were my guys. After the class I can much more appreciate Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd.

Suggestions for the next class:

1. Mysteries

2. Film development and history of other countries. I understand this could be not very popular. But in some ways foreign films are so different from American films.

Well, I don't know about the popularity of a course on film development and history in other countries, but I know I would enjoy it!

• Like 1

Closing statement:

I was going to develop a thesis type posting to formulate an opinion on why it is we laugh. I believe laughing is natures answer to being down and feeling in the dumps. A recognition of the soul that we are only human and have flaws and laughing awakens feelings of joy in our existence. We all share mortality. Thanks for taking the journey with me y'all. It was a hoot. Hope there's many takers (including everyone that was aboard) to Dr. Edwards future genre online-courses. Wink-nudge-poke HORROR is a nifty subject prof! ;) it really is though! Happy Halloween to everyone that appreciates a good scare!

Cheers!

• Like 5

Just finished my exam and passed the course. As mentioned by others it was a bittersweet experience. I always liked Lucille Ball, Abbott and Castillo, and Mel Brooks. However, I have to admit I was never a huge fan of slapstick per se but I enjoyed the film noir class so much I thought it would help me gain a better understanding of the genre and acquire an appreciation for it. This class certainly has done that! I met actors I had never known about befor and learned new things about old favorites. I learned to look for certain key points in slapstick and appreciate its history.

I would like to thank Dr. Edwards, Vince Cellini, Dr.Gehring, and all those behind the scene for making this a wonderful course. Dr.Edwards, you certainly have a gift explaining the complexity of film in a fun and easy to understand manner. Anytime you're ready to teach another class I'll be there. If you're open for suggestions I would love to see a science fiction/ fantasy /horror class. That's just a nerd in me, I would actually take any class you teach.

I would also like to thank my fellow students for all of the insightful post. It's always fun to see something with a different set of eyes.

Take care all. Watch out for flying pies and falling buildings.

• Like 8

I have so enjoyed every aspect of this course! Dr Edwards, thank you for bringing together such an enriching experience. And to all of my classmates, thank you so much for all of your ideas, knowledge and enthusiasm. It has been an honor to be among you. I would number myself among those who would like to see more online classes. The history of science fiction in film would be a very interesting subject. But I will be watching for ANY online film course taught by Dr.Edwards. Ciao for now everyone!

• Like 7

Closing statement:

I was going to develop a thesis type posting to formulate an opinion on why it is we laugh. I believe laughing is natures answer to being down and feeling in the dumps. A recognition of the soul that we are only human and have flaws and laughing awakens feelings of joy in our existence. We all share mortality.

For most of my life, laughter has been both a shield and a sword. A few days ago, I went into the hospial for some rather extensive oral surgery that I didn't want to be awake for. Before they knocked me out, and after they woke me up, I was cracking jokes. And when I got home, I immersed myself in episodes of a slapstick horror-spoof kids' show I've loved since I was a kid: "Hilarious House of Frightenstein".

I appreciated it more now than when I was a kid, partly because of this course, and partly because, a week earlier, I met the show's only surviving cast member, and was interviewed for a documentary he's making about the show. Working title: "And Vincent Price Said Yes"!

• Like 4

Closing statement:

I was going to develop a thesis type posting to formulate an opinion on why it is we laugh. I believe laughing is natures answer to being down and feeling in the dumps. A recognition of the soul that we are only human and have flaws and laughing awakens feelings of joy in our existence. We all share mortality. Thanks for taking the journey with me y'all. It was a hoot. Hope there's many takers (including everyone that was aboard) to Dr. Edwards future genre online-courses. Wink-nudge-poke HORROR is a nifty subject prof! ;) it really is though! Happy Halloween to everyone that appreciates a good scare!

Cheers!

From Robert Benchley's 1937 essay, "Why We Laugh - Or Do We?"

"In order to laugh at something, it is necessary (1) to know what you are laughing at, (2) to know why you are laughing, (3) to ask some people why they think you are laughing, (4) to jot down a few notes, (5) to laugh. Even then, the thing may not be cleared up for days."

It's been a pleasure interacting with you, Mandroid51.

• Like 4