LonesomePolecat

TCM Programming Challenge #34

37 posts in this topic

CHALLENGE #34: THE RULES

(mostly copied & pasted from the previous challenge)

A pleasure to be hosting Challenge #34! Thanks to Bill Holden & LOST IN SPACE fans, I won the last challenge, so I get the honor of making you guys do whatever I want! BWA HA HA HA!!!! Anyway, on to the rules.....

SOME BACKGROUND:

Path40a created the first TCM Programming Challenge in February, 2006 to give people a glimpse into the complexities of the programming process. The challenge has endured because it allows entrants to exercise their imagination, display their knowledge and introduce rare classics. TCM Programming Challenges are neither sponsored nor endorsed by TCM but “tcmprogrammr” has stated that programmers happily steal ideas from these schedules. Many entrants have had the joy of seeing their themes and movie selections air on TCM. This is the best way to "request a movie"--seriously. TCM Premieres that I scheduled before they showed up on TCM include A NEW LEAF and WHAT A WAY TO GO, both of which I had to schedule quite a few times. And I know lots of other people have had the same luck. The Challenge is to create a week’s schedule following TCM’s standard format.

WHEN IT BEGINS & WHEN IT ENDS:

This challenge opens now and runs through 11:59 PM (Pacific Time) Saturday November 19th. A voting thread will be started shortly after the end of the challenge.

WHO CAN ENTER & WHO CAN VOTE:

Answer: ANYONE! Everyone is welcome to create and post a schedule. Don’t be shy! It's not as hard as it sounds. It's really fun. Anyone will be allowed to vote for their favorite schedule in a separate voting thread after the challenge is closed. You may either vote by posting your selection on the thread or by directly messaging me. The winner has the honor of running the next challenge.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

• Create a week's schedule which begins at 6 AM (EST) Sunday and ends at 6 AM (EST) the following Sunday. The week selected must be between Jan 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
  • Each day’s programming should begin at 6 AM (EST.) However, even TCM's schedules don't always start at 6AM --sometimes last night's schedule goes way into the next day, so, really, it's up to you.
  • Primetime/Evening MUST begin at 8 PM (EST.) No exceptions.
  • Feature films must start on the hour, quarter-hour, half-hour or three-quarters hour. Short films or other material can be used to “fill-in” between movies so that there is never more than 14 minutes of unscheduled time between features. Don't feel like you have to write down every "Word of Mouth" or movie trailer that will fill in between, but if there is something special you have in mind, go for it!

Your schedule must include:

• Star of the Month -- At least four films need to be scheduled featuring a particular individual. Note, that this person must have a large enough body of work that three more nights featuring this person could be scheduled. Sorry, James Dean, that leaves you out.
  • Silent Sunday Night -- A silent movie which begins at approximately 12 AM (EST) Sunday night/Monday morning.
  • TCM Imports -- A foreign language film that begins at approximately 2 AM (EST) Monday morning.
  • TCM Spotlight -- A group of films which showcase a theme which appears in primetime one night for a month. This must be the kind of thing that can be carried over multiple nights (i.e. "Movie Detectives," not "Hitchcock movies set it Northern California starring Tippi Hedrin")
  • The Essentials --- An indispensable classic film that begins at 8 PM (EST) Saturday night.
  • TCM Underground -- A little known or “cult” film which begins at approximately 2 AM (EST) Saturday night.
  • Mandatory Challenges as noted under the "Challenge" section

PLEASE NOTE:

• Silent Sunday Night, TCM Imports and TCM Underground are exempt from the limit of premieres stated in the requirements for this challenge.
  • You may include a Guest Programmer but you are not required to do so. Anyone, living or dead, real or fictional, go for it!
  • Programming related to birthdays, anniversaries of historical or cinematic importance, genres, places or anything else that can reasonably be thematically grouped together is encouraged. Thought provoking, humorous and/or outrageous themes are especially welcome.
  • Programming notes to explain your themes or to provide additional information on your selected movies are not required but are greatly encouraged. These notes should be on a separate post following the posting of your schedule.

FORMAT & JUSTIFICATIONS:

Follow the standard TCM scheduling format for each film: Time, Title, Year, Actor(s) Director(s) Studio, Running Time and justification.

For example:

6:15 PM GOODBYE CHARLIE (1964) Debbie Reynolds & Tony Curtis, dir Vincente Minnelli FOX 1h56min PREMIERE

Running times and studio information may be found in the TCM database, at IMDB.com, in your Now Playing Guide, or the back of your DVD.

Justifications:

P/S for movies or programs which have been previously shown on TCM.

“Exempt” for Silent Sunday Night, TCM Imports or TCM Underground films.

PD or “Public Domain” for films in the public domain.

“Premiere” for movies which count toward the Challenge allowance on premieres.\

Film library, SOTM, and previous challenge archive links plus other information:

The original Turner library consisted of: Warner Brothers (pre-1948 only,) MGM (pre-1986 only) and RKO (all years.)

Please note that Animated Disney films will ONLY be permitted if you do a "Treasures from the Disney Vault" segment, and can only be used in that segment.

Movies in the original Turner library are:

Warner Brothers (pre-1948 only):

www.imdb.com/company/co0026840/

MGM (pre-1986 only):

www.imdb.com/company/co0020206/

RKO (all)

www.imdb.com/company/co0041421/

Movies in the public domain are:

https://archive.org/.../feature_films/

All other theatrical movies are allowed as premieres.

The most commonly used libraries are:

Columbia Pictures

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0071509/

United Artists

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026841/

Samuel Goldwyn

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0016710/

J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0027356/

20th Century Fox:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0000756/

Paramount Pictures

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0023400/

Universal Pictures

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0005073/

British Gaumont Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103050/

A link of previous Stars Of The Month can be found here:

http://forums.tcm.co...7-tcm-stars-of-the-month/

Previous Challenges can be reviewed here:

http://forums.tcm.co...38-tcm-program-challenges-archive/

HOW TO TELL IF A MOVIE HAS BEEN ON TCM BEFORE:

The TCM database has programming notes and articles for most of the movies which have aired. However, there are some movies which have been shown on TCM which do not have notes or articles.

Another fantastic resource is the database compiled by MovieCollectorOH, which not only lists most of the films TCM has shown over the years, but contains pertinent information about the films as well. The database can be found at the following link:

MovieCollectorOH's database

Basically: If it's been on TCM before, you can use it "free". If it's never been on TCM, you have to list it as a premiere.

CHALLENGE #34: SPECIAL CHALLENGES

For this challenge, you are allowed 12 PREMIERES.

REQUIRED CHALLENGES:

CHALLENGE #1: YOUR CANDIDATE

Since no one seems to like the current US Presidential Candidates, let's pick our own from classic movies! Please reserve part of your schedule, day or night, to tell us who you wish you could elect. You can choose a block of films about one person who is you ideal presidential candidate, or fill out your whole presidential cabinet with one film portraying the president, one for vice president, etc. And you don't have to re-elect George Washington (unless you want to) or use a real world leader--Kermit the Frog would be an excellent choice! This can be a real historical person living or dead, a movie character, an actor, a filmmaker--whatever! If it's a TV character you want, schedule a movie with that same actor and tell us what character you meant. Make your voice count.

You may have 2 free premieres for this block of films. Mark these "Exempt Premiere"

CHALLENGE #2: THE ART OF COLLABORATION

Your task is to schedule a tribute to a classic movie writing team: a screenwriting team, playwriting team, stage/screen musical writing team, or songwriting team. This must be a block of films that appears anywhere, day or night. Feel free, if you want, to schedule a fictional one-hour interview segment of "The Art of Collaboration" starring your team.

Not familiar with writers? Start by looking up a favorite movie or song and see who wrote it. Keep looking til you find a "team"--shouldn't take long. Then see what else they wrote.

You may have 2 free premieres for this part of the schedule, also labeled "Exempt premiere".

CHALLENGE #3: LP'S MOST WANTED

Since I can't "request a movie" by writing a schedule, I'm making you guys schedule movies I want TCM to show. You MUST program at least 1 (but as many as you want) of these movies anywhere in your schedule:

• GOODBYE CHARLIE (1964) Debbie Reynolds & Tony Curtis, dir Vincente Minnelli FOX 1h56min EXEMPT PREMIERE
  • DAMN YANKEES (1958) Gwen Verdon & Ray Walston, dir George Abbott & Stanley Donen WB 1h51min EXEMPT PREMIERE
  • WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? (1968) George Peppard & Mary Tyler Moore, dir George Seaton UI 1h34min EXEMPT PREMIERE
  • RED GARTERS (1954) Jack Carson & Rosemary Clooney, dir George Marshall, Paramount 1h31min EXEMPT PREMIERE
  • WALKING MY BABY BACK HOME (1953) Donald O'Connor & Janet Leigh, dir Lloyd Bacon UI 1h35min EXEMPT PREMIERE
  • Or any Betty Grable movie that hasn't been on TCM before

OPTIONAL CHALLENGES:

CHALLENGE #4: TREASURES FROM THE DISNEY VAULT (optional)

Your task is to schedule an evening of "Treasures from the Disney Vault" on any weeknight you choose. Nothing you schedule in this evening counts toward your premiere limit. You can be Leonard Maltin and select a wide variety of , or schedule 6 hours of Goofy cartoons. GO CRAZY!!!! Keep in mind, the Disney Vault includes episodes from Walt's TV Shows, animated shorts & features, live action family films, "Making Of" specials, educational films, & documentaries like the True Life Adventure Series, so there is a Whole New World of Disney material out there. All I ask is, for me, stay "classic". Nothing from 1990 and beyond.

CHALLENGE #5: WEEK-LONG THEME (optional)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick a theme that lasts over a whole week. This is way easier than it sounds and is way fun. To explain further, here are some "week-long themes" previously submitted by Posters Like You:

COLE PORTER SONGS: Every theme came from a Cole Porter song, i.e. "Where is the Life that Late I Led" was anmesia movies, "You're the Top" was Empire State Building movies, etc. Here is the link for the Cole Porter schedule:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/25188-the-tcm-programming-challenge-13-the-voting-thread/page-10?hl=%2Bcole+%2Bporter&do=findComment&comment=406950

DISNEYLAND: Each block of films was inspired by a Disneyland attraction, i.e. "Alice in Wonderland Ride" was movie characters named Alice, "Space Mountain" was sci fi space movies, "Main Street USA" was movies set at the turn of the century, etc. Here's the link for the Disneyland schedule:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/28976-bvoting-thread-for-the-15th-program-challengeb/page-5

DECADE BY DECADE: It was a week of "regular themes", but each block of films had a movie from each decade, in order, like "Divorce through the ages". Then it was "Judith Anderson in the 40s," "Noir in the 50s," "Comedies of the 60s", etc. Here is the link for the Decade schedule:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/50966-tcm-programming-challenge-27-what-a-character-voting-thread/page-2?hl=+through%20+decades

Should you choose to accept Challenge #5, here is an option for those of you not familiar with silent movies or foreign language films: you have the option of starting your theme on Monday or just scheduling any import or silent movie you want and not worrying about making it fit in your theme.

Anyone who does a week-long theme must incorporate all the other required elements into their schedule (SOTM, Essentials, etc) as well as the three required challenges.

• Like 2

This looks great LP. I love the variety of challenges and the level of challenge involved if one were to take on all the challenges!!

LP:

I knew you would come up with some cool challenges.  Five must be a new record!

Lydecker

Just to clarify, when I said "any Betty Grable movie", I meant any Betty Grable movie that hasn't been on TCM before. A few of them have, so make sure yours would be a premiere.

I'm almost done! I just have to figure out an Underground feature and then proofread my schedule and check it against the rules :-)

• Like 1

Just to clarify, when I said "any Betty Grable movie", I meant any Betty Grable movie that hasn't been on TCM before. A few of them have, so make sure yours would be a premiere.

How does one check to see if TCM has show a film or not?  

How does one check to see if TCM has show a film or not?

I usually look it up on the TCM movie database and see if there are any articles -- look on the left of the movie's page and look for the word "articles " -- if you can't click on it, it means there never were progrmming articles written about it, so it probably wasn't ever programmed. If you can click on it, it's been on before.

For other ways to check, look at the bottom of the RULES post at the beginning of this thread.

In regard to Challenge #3, are all Betty Grable films which have never been shown on TCM Exempt??

SansFin's Schedule for April 23, 2017 to April 29, 2017

A Week of Days

Six daytime schedules and three evening schedules are recognized 'days' as found at: https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/2017/04/

One daytime schedule is important birthday.

One evening schedule is anniversary of historic event.

Three evening schedules are required schedule programming.

Challenge # 1 - President Steve McQueen and Vice-President Audrey Hepburn on Monday Evening

Challenge # 2 - Collaborators Norman Panama and Melvin Frank on Friday Evening

Challenge # 3 - Damn Yankees (1958) on Saturday

Sunday, April 23

Talk Like Shakespeare Day

6:00 AM As You Like It (1936) Laurence Olivier, Elisabeth Bergner, Henry Ainley. Dir: Paul Czinner, Fox, 96 mins., P/S

7:45 AM Henry V (1944) Sir Laurence Olivier, Robert Newton, Leslie Banks. Dir: Sir Laurence Olivier, Two Cities Films, 137 mins., P/S

10:15 AM Kiss Me Kate (1953) Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Ann Miller. Dir: George Sidney, MGM, 109 mins. 

12:15 PM Romeo and Juliet (1936) Norma Shearer, Leslie Howard, John Barrymore. Dir: George Cukor, MGM, 125 mins. 

2:30 PM Julius Caesar (1953) Marlon Brando, James Mason, John Gielgud. Dir: Joseph L Mankiewicz, MGM, 120 mins. 

4:30 PM Hamlet (1969) Nicol Williamson, Judy Parfitt, Anthony Hopkins. Dir: Tony Richardson, Filmways, 117 mins., P/S

6:30 PM Othello (1951) Orson Welles, Michael MacLiammoir, Suzanne Cloutier. Dir: Orson Welles, Mercury Productions, 90 mins., P/S

World Book Night

Movies Based On A Novel

8:00 PM Freckles (1935) Virginia Weidler, Tom Brown, Carol Stone. Dir: William Hamilton, RKO, 62 mins. 

9:15 PM Rebecca (1940) Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock, Selznick, 130 mins., P/S

Silent Sunday Night

11:30 PM The Restless Sex (1920) Marion Davies, Ralph Kellard, Carlyle Blackwell. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard, Cosmopolitan Prods., 78 mins., Exempt Silent

1:00 AM Prodigal Daughters (1923) Gloria Swanson, Ralph Graves, Vera Reynolds. Dir: Sam Wood, Paramount, 60 mins., Exempt Silent

TCM Import

2:00 AM Clouds at Sunset (1967) Shima Iwashita, Tsutomu Yamazaki, Kei Sat⌠. Dir: Masahiro Shinoda, Shinoda Prods., 106 mins., Exempt Import

4:00 AM Nights of Cabiria (1957) Giulietta Masina, Franτois PΘrier, Franca Marzi. Dir: Federico Fellini, de Laurentiis, 110 mins., P/S

Monday, April 24

Firefly Day

Spaceships and Space Adventures

6:00 AM Serenity (2005) Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Chiwetel Ejiofor. Dir: Joss Whedon, Universal, 119 mins., Premiere # 1

8:00 AM Silent Running (1972) Bruce Dern, Cliff Potts, Ron Rifkin. Dir: Douglas Trumbull, Universal, 89 mins., P/S

9:30 AM Alien (1979) Tom Skerritt, Sigourney Weaver, Veronica Cartwright. Dir: Ridley Scott, Fox, 117 mins., P/S

11:30 AM Voyage to the End of the Universe (1963) Zdenek Stepánek, Frantisek Smolík, Dana Medrická. Dir: Jindrich Polák, Filmové, 81 mins., Premiere # 2

1:00 PM The Black Hole (1979) Maximilian Schell, Anthony Perkins, Robert Forster. Dir: Gary Nelson, Disney, 98 mins., P/S

2:45 PM Barbarella (1968) Jane Fonda, John Phillip Law, Anita Pallenberg. Dir: Roger Vadim, Dino de Laurentiis, 98 mins., P/S

4:30 PM The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe. Dir: Robert Wise, Fox, 92 mins., P/S

6:15 PM Five Million Years To Earth (1968) Andrew Keir, James Donald, Barbara Shelley. Dir: Roy Ward Baker, Hammer Films, 97 mins., P/S

Challenge # 1

President Steve McQueen and Vice-President Audrey Hepburn

President Steve McQueen demonstrates meticulous planning:

8:00 PM The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway, Paul Burke. Dir: Norman Jewison, Mirisch, 102 mins., P/S

Vice-President Audrey Hepburn demonstrates ability to handle foreign affairs with aplomb:

9:45 PM Roman Holiday (1953) Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Eddie Albert. Dir: William Wyler, Paramount, 118 mins., P/S

President Steve McQueen demonstrates ability to deal with Congress:

11:45 PM The Blob (1958) Steve McQueen, Aneta Corseaut, Earl Rowe. Dir: Irvin S Yeaworth Jr, Fairview Productions, 86 mins., P/S

Vice-President Audrey Hepburn demonstrates ability to deal with financial crisis:

1:15 AM How to Steal a Million (1966) Audrey Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, Eli Wallach. Dir: William Wyler, World Wide Prod, 123 mins., P/S

President Steve McQueen demonstrates resolve to secure peace:

3:30 AM The Magnificent Seven (1960) Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen. Dir: John Sturges, Mirisch, 128 mins., P/S

Tuesday, April 25

Guglielmo Marconi's Birthday

Radio Performers

6:00 AM Whistling In Brooklyn (1943) Red Skelton, Ann Rutherford, Rags Ragland. Dir: S Sylvan Simon, MGM, 87 mins. 

7:45 AM Whistling In Dixie (1942) Red Skelton, Ann Rutherford, George Bancroft. Dir: S Sylvan Simon, MGM, 74 mins. 

9:00 AM Whistling In The Dark (1941) Red Skelton, Conrad Veidt, Ann Rutherford. Dir: S Sylvan Simon, MGM, 78 mins. 

10:30 AM The Unsuspected (1947) Claude Rains, Joan Caulfield, Constance Bennett. Dir: Michael Curtiz, WB, 103 mins. 

12:15 PM Stand By All Networks (1942) Florence Rice, John Beal, Margaret Hayes. Dir: Lew Landers, Columbia, 65 mins., P/S

1:30 PM The Next Voice You Hear... (1950) James Whitmore, Nancy Davis, Gary Gray. Dir: William A Wellman, MGM, 83 mins. 

3:00 PM Mr. Dodd Takes The Air (1937) Kenny Baker, Frank McHugh, Alice Brady. Dir: Alfred E Green, WB, 87 mins. 

4:30 PM Are You Listening? (1932) William Haines, Madge Evans, Anita Page. Dir: Harry Beaumont, MGM, 73 mins. 

5:45 PM Behind the Headlines (1937) Lee Tracy, Diana Gibson, Donald Meek. Dir: Richard Rosson, RKO, 58 mins. 

6:45 PM Professional Sweetheart (1933) Ginger Rogers, Norman Foster, ZaSu Pitts. Dir: William A Seiter, RKO, 73 mins. 

SOTM - Lee Tracy

8:00 PM Washington Merry-Go-Round (1932) Lee Tracy, Constance Cummings, Walter Connolly. Dir: James Cruze, Columbia, 79 mins., P/S

9:30 PM Doctor X (1932) Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Lee Tracy. Dir: Michael Curtiz, First National Pictures, 76 mins., P/S

11:00 PM The Half Naked Truth (1933) Lupe Velez, Lee Tracy, Eugene Pallette. Dir: Gregory La Cava, RKO, 77 mins. 

12:30 AM Criminal Lawyer (1937) Lee Tracy, Margot Grahame, Eduardo Ciannelli. Dir: Christy Cabanne, RKO, 72 mins. 

1:45 AM Blessed Event (1932) Lee Tracy, Mary Brian, Allen Jenkins. Dir: Roy Del Ruth, WB, 80 mins. 

3:15 AM Betrayal From The East (1945) Lee Tracy, Nancy Kelly, Richard Loo. Dir: William Berke, RKO, 82 mins. 

4:45 AM Fixer Dugan (1939) Lee Tracy, Virginia Weidler, Peggy Shannon. Dir: Lew Landers, RKO, 68 mins. 

Wednesday, April 26

Administrative Professionals Day

6:00 AM My Dear Secretary (1948) Laraine Day, Kirk Douglas, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Charles Martin, Cardinal, 94 mins., PD

7:45 AM Wife vs. Secretary (1936) Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy. Dir: Clarence Brown, MGM, 88 mins. 

9:15 AM The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun (1970) Samantha Eggar, Oliver Reed, John McEnery. Dir: Anatole Litvak, Columbia, 105 mins., Premiere # 3

11:00 AM The Liquidator (1966) Rod Taylor, Trevor Howard, Jill St John. Dir: Jack Cardiff, MGM, 104 mins. 

12:45 PM Quick Money (1938) Fred Stone, Gordon Jones, Dorothy Moore. Dir: Edward Killy, RKO, 59 mins. 

1:45 PM Government Girl (1943) Olivia de Havilland, Sonny Tufts, Anne Shirley. Dir: Dudley Nichols, RKO, 93 mins. 

3:30 PM She Married Her Boss (1935) Claudette Colbert, Melvyn Douglas, Raymond Walburn. Dir: Gregory La Cava, Columbia, 85 mins., P/S

5:00 PM More Than a Secretary (1936) Jean Arthur, George Brent, Lionel Stander. Dir: Alfred E Green, Columbia, 76 mins., P/S

6:30 PM Men Are Not Gods (1936) Miriam Hopkins, Gertrude Lawrence, Sebastian Shaw. Dir: Walter Reisch, London Film Prod, 82 mins., P/S

Anniversary of Nuclear Incident at Chernobyl

8:00 PM The Battle of Chernobyl (2006) Mikhail Gorbachev, Tim Birkett, Hans Blix. Dir: Thomas Johnson, Play Film, 94 mins., Premiere # 4

9:45 PM The Babushkas of Chernobyl (2015) Documentary. Dir: Anne Bogart and Holly Morris, Hedgebrook, 70 mins., Premiere # 5

11:30 PM Pripyat (1999) Documentary. Dir: Nikolaus Geyrhalter, Geyrhalter Film, 100 mins., Premiere # 6

1:15 AM Them! (1954) James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn, Joan Weldon. Dir: Gordon Douglas, WB, 94 mins., P/S

3:00 AM Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) Raymond Burr, Takashi Shimura, Momoko Kochi. Dir: Ishiro Honda, Toho, 78 mins., P/S

4:30 AM Mothra (1962) Franky Sakai, Hiroshi Koizumi, Kyoko Kagawa. Dir: Inoshiro Honda, Toho, 91 mins., P/S

Thursday, April 27

Morse Code Day

Telegraph Operators

6:00 AM A Dispatch From Reuters (1940) Edward G Robinson, Edna Best, Eddie Albert. Dir: William Dieterle, WB, 90 mins. 

7:30 AM Western Union (1941) Robert Young, Randolph Scott, Dean Jagger. Dir: Fritz Lang, Fox, 95 mins., P/S

9:15 AM Closely Watched Trains (1966)Václav Neckár, Josef Somr, Vlastimil Brodský. Dir: Jirí Menzel, Filmové, 93 mins., P/S

11:00 AM The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939) Don Ameche, Loretta Young, Henry Fonda. Dir: Irving Cummings, Fox, 98 mins., P/S

12:45 PM The House on 92nd Street (1945) William Eythe, Lloyd Nolan, Signe Hasso. Dir: Henry Hathaway, Fox, 88 mins., P/S

Babe Ruth Day

2:15 PM Headin' Home (1920) Babe Ruth, Ruth Taylor, William Sheer. Dir: Lawrence C Windom, Yankee Photo Corp, 71 mins., P/S

3:30 PM The Babe Ruth Story (1948) William Bendix, Claire Trevor, Charles Bickford. Dir: Roy Del Ruth, Roy Del Ruth Prod, 106 mins., P/S

5:30 PM Elmer The Great (1933) Joe E Brown, Patricia Ellis, Frank McHugh. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy, First National, 72 mins., P/S

6:45 PM Alibi Ike (1935) Joe E Brown, Olivia de Havilland, Ruth Donnelly. Dir: Ray Enright, WB, 72 mins. 

Tell a Story Day

Movies told as stories:

8:00 PM The Princess Bride (1987) Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin. Dir: Rob Reiner, Buttercup Films Ltd., 98 mins., Premiere # 7

9:45 PM Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985) William Hurt, Raul Julia, Sonia Braga. Dir: Hector Babenco, HB Filmes, 120 mins., P/S

11:45 PM The Pillow Book (1996) Vivian Wu, Ewan McGregor, Yoshi Oida. Dir: Peter Greenaway, Woodline Films, 126 mins., Premiere # 8

2:00 AM The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) Alec Guinness, Stanley Holloway, Sidney James. Dir: Charles Crichton, Ealing Studios, 78 mins., P/S

3:30 AM The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm (1962) Laurence Harvey, Karl Boehm, Claire Bloom. Dir: Henry Levin, MGM, 136 mins. 

Friday, April 28

Hairball Awareness Day

6:00 AM Rhubarb (1951) Ray Milland, Jan Sterling, Gene Lockhart. Dir: Arthur Lubin, Paramount, 94 mins., Premiere # 9

7:45 AM Gay Purr-ee (1962) Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, Red Buttons. Dir: Abe Levitow, WB, 85 mins., P/S

9:15 AM Cat People (1942) Simone Simon, Tom Conway, Jane Randolph. Dir: Jacques Tourneur, RKO, 73 mins. 

10:30 AM Alice In Wonderland (1933) Leon Errol, Louise Fazenda, Ford Sterling. Dir: Norman McLeod, Paramount, 76 mins., P/S

12:00 PM The Black Cat (1968) Kichiemon Nakamura, Nobuko Otowa, Kei Satô. Dir: Kaneto Shindô, Toho, 99 mins., Premiere # 10

1:45 PM Hausu (1977) Kimiko Ikegami, Eriko Tanaka, Kumiko Ohba. Dir: Nobuhiko Obayashi, Toho, 88 mins., P/S

3:15 PM Bell Book and Candle (1959) James Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon. Dir: Richard Quine, Columbia, 102 mins., P/S

5:15 PM I Married A Witch (1942) Fredric March, Veronica Lake, Robert Benchley. Dir: RenΘ Clair, Paramount, 77 mins., P/S

6:45 PM A Bucket of Blood (1959) Dick Miller, Barboura Morris, Antony Carbone. Dir: Roger Corman, Alta Vista, 65 mins., P/S

Friday Night Spotlight - Screenwriter Collaborations

Challenge #2

Collaborators: Norman Panama and Melvin Frank

8:00 PM The Court Jester (1956) Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone. Dir: Norman Panama, Dena Ent., 101 mins., P/S

9:45 PM White Christmas (1954) Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney. Dir: Michael Curtiz, Paramount, 120 mins., P/S

11:45 PM Strictly Dishonorable (1951) Ezio Pinza, Janet Leigh, Millard Mitchell. Dir: Norman Panama, MGM, 86 mins. 

1:15 AM Callaway Went Thataway (1951) Dorothy McGuire, Fred MacMurray, Howard Keel. Dir: Melvin Frank & Norman Panama, MGM, 81 mins. 

2:45 AM The Road To Hong Kong (1962) Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Dorothy Lamour. Dir: Norman Panama, Melnor Films, 91 mins., P/S

4:30 AM The Road to Utopia (1946) Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour. Dir: Hal Walker, Paramount, 90 mins., P/S

Saturday, April 29

International Dance Day

Dancers

6:00 AM Singin' In The Rain (1952) Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds. Dir: Gene Kelly, MGM, 103 mins. 

7:45 AM Cabaret (1972) Liza Minnelli, Michael York, Joel Grey. Dir: Bob Fosse, Allied Artists, 124 mins., P/S

10:00 AM All That Jazz (1979) Roy Scheider, Ann Reinking, Jessica Lange. Dir: Bob Fosse, Fox, 123 mins., Premiere # 11

12:15 PM Damn Yankees (1958) Gwen Verdon, Ray Walston, Tab Hunter. Dir: Stanley Donen, WB, 111 mins., Exempt Premiere

2:15 PM Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Charles Coburn. Dir: Howard Hawks, Fox, 91 mins., P/S

4:00 PM Gilda (1946) Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford, George Macready. Dir: Charles Vidor, Columbia, 109 mins., P/S

6:00 PM Let's Make Love (1960) Marilyn Monroe, Yves Montand, Tony Randall. Dir: George Cukor, Fox, 119 mins., P/S

International Astronomy Day

Astronomers

Essentials

8:00 PM The Heavenly Body (1943) William Powell, Hedy Lamarr, James Craig. Dir: Alexander Hall, MGM, 95 mins. 

9:45 PM Contact (1997) Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Skeritt. Dir: Robert Zemeckis, WB, 150 mins., P/S

12:15 AM Slaughterhouse Five (1972) Michael Sacks, Ron Leibman, Eugene Roche. Dir: George Roy Hill, Universal, 104 mins., Premiere # 12

TCM Underground

2:00 AM Aelita: Queen of Mars (1924) Yuliya Solntseva, Igor Ilyinsky, Nikolai Tsereteli. Dir: Yakov Protazanov, Mezhrabpom-Rus, 111 mins., Exempt Underground

4:00 AM Roxanne (1987) Steve Martin, Daryl Hannah, Rick Rossovich. Dir: Fred Schepisi, Columbia, 107 mins., P/S

Premieres:

Serenity (2005) 

The Black Cat (1968) 

All That Jazz (1979) 

Slaughterhouse Five (1972) 

Voyage to the End of the Universe (1963) 

The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun (1970) 

The Battle of Chernobyl (2006) 

The Babushkas of Chernobyl (2015) 

Pripyat (1999) 

The Princess Bride (1987) 

The Pillow Book (1996) 

Rhubarb (1951) 

Exempt Premieres

Clouds at Sunset (1967) 

Damn Yankees (1958) 

The Restless Sex (1920) 

Prodigal Daughters (1923) 

Aelita: Queen of Mars (1924) 

Range:

1920s: 4

1930s: 22

1940s: 19

1950s: 21

1960s: 16

1970s: 8

1980s: 3

1990s: 3

2000s: 2

2010s: 1

• Like 2

Okay, okay, I'm extending the deadline a week. You guys have til next Saturday November 19.

I wish very much that I had seen this prior to blowing off date night to finish and post my schedule!

I am sorry to say that I do not know when I may be able to write Program Notes for this schedule. I believe that it is in the main very self-explanatory.

This schedule was well worth the wait. Another triumph, SansFin! Love your presidential choice and use of DAMN YANKEES, but especially appreciate highlighting Norman Panama and Melvyn Frank, one of my favorite teams. Yay!

I wish very much that I had seen this prior to blowing off date night to finish and post my schedule!

I am sorry to say that I do not know when I may be able to write Program Notes for this schedule. I believe that it is in the main very self-explanatory.

Sorry I didn't think of it sooner :)

This schedule was well worth the wait. Another triumph, SansFin! Love your presidential choice and use of DAMN YANKEES, but especially appreciate highlighting Norman Panama and Melvyn Frank, one of my favorite teams. Yay!

I thank you for your kind words.

It was very easy to schedule that movie as it fits many categories. I have it in back of my mind to do tribute to: Bob Fosse in some schedule and so it is sure to appear then also.

• Like 1

October 15 – October 21, 2017

SUNDAY, October 15, 2017

“Remember my forgotten man? You put a rifle in his hand.”

Forgotten Men & Boys

6 AM My Man Godfrey (1936) William Powell & Carole Lombard. Dir:  Gregory LaCava. Universal, 94 min. p/s

7:45 AM Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) Warren William & Joan Blondell. Dir:  Mervyn LeRoy. WB, 90 min. p/s

9:15 AM Sullivan’s Travels (1941) Joel McCrea & Veronica Lake. Dir: Preston Sturges. Paramount, 90 min. p/s

10:45 AM Wild Boys of the Road (1933) Frankie Darro & Edwin Phillips. Dir:

Wm. Wellman. First National/WB, 67 min. p/s

12 PM Riding the Rails (1997) Narrator: Richard Thomas. Dirs:  Michael Uys & Lexy Lovell. Out of the Blue Productions, 72 min. Premiere

“I bet even a baby skunk smells like a rosebud to its mother.”

A Couple of Krugers (Otto & Alma)

1:15 PM Ever In My Heart (1933) Barbara Stanwyck & Otto Kruger. Dir:  Archie Mayo. WB, 70 min. p/s

2:30 PM Beauty For Sale (1933) Madge Evans & Otto Kruger. Dir:  Richard Boleslavsky. MGM, 85 min. p/s

4 PM Craig’s Wife (1936) Rosalind Russell & John Boles; Dir:  Dorothy Arzner.

Columbia, 75 min. p/s

5:15 PM Dr. Kildare’s Crisis (1940) Lew Ayres & Lionel Barrymore. Dir:  Harold S. Bucquet. MGM, 70 min. p/s

6:30 PM Mercy Island (1941) Ray Middleton & Otto Kruger. Dir:  William Morgan. Republic, 72 min. p/d

“Strange?  She’s right out of The Hound of the Baskervilles.”

Unwanted Guests

8 PM The Man Who Came To Dinner (1942) Bette Davis & Ann Sheridan. Dir: William Keighley. WB, 112 min. p/s

10 PM Three Days of the Condor (1975) Robert Redford & Faye Dunaway. Dir:  Sydney Pollack. Paramount, 117 min. p/s

“Oh, Canada.”

Silent Sunday/TCM Imports

12 AM Back to God’s Country (1919) Neil Shipman & Charles Arling. Dir:  James Oliver Curwood. First National Exhibitor’s Circuit, 73 min. Exempt

1:15 AM The Sweet Hereafter (1997) Ian Holm & Sarah Polley. Dir:  Atom Egoyan. Alliance Communications, 112 Min. Exempt.

3:15 AM Ararat (2002) Charles Aznavour & Christopher Plummer. Dir:  Atom Egoyan. Miramax Films, 115 min. Exempt

5:15 AM Speaking Parts (1989) Michael McManus & Arsinee Khanijan. Dir:  Atom Egoyan. Zeitgeist Films, 93 min. Exempt

MONDAY, October 16, 2017

“Aren’t you a little short for a storm trooper?”

My Candidates – Challenge #1

7 AM Drums Along The Mohawk (1939) Henry Fonda, Claudette Colbert & Edna May Oliver. Dir:  John Ford. 20th Century Fox, 100 min. p/s

8:45 AM The American President (1995) Michael Douglas, Annette Benings & Martin Sheen. Dir:  Rob Reiner. Columbia, 114 min. Challenge Exempt

10:45 AM Advise & Consent (1962) Henry Fonda, Charles Laughton & Walter Pidgeon. Dir:  Otto Preminger. Columbia, 139 min. p/s

1:15 PM The Empire Strikes Back (1980) Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford & Carrie Fisher. Dir:  Irvin Kershner. 20th Century Fox, 124 min. Challenge Exempt

“You can check the wings and halo at the desk.”

All About Red  -- LP’s Picks – Challenge #3

3:30 PM Red Garters (1954) Jack Carson & Rosemary Clooney. Dir:  George Marshall. Paramount, 91 min. Exempt Premiere

5:15 PM Red Hot Tires (1935) Lyle Talbot & Mary Astor. Dir: D. Ross Lederman. WB, 61 min. p/s

6:30 PM Red Dust (1932) Clark Gable & Jean Harlow. Dir:  Victor Fleming. MGM, 83 min. p/s

“I don’t know what her problem is.  She takes off her shirt to do a voiceover.”

On The Street Where You Live.

8 PM Pick-Up On South Street (1953) Richard Widmark & Jean Peters. Dir:  Samuel Fuller. 20th Century Fox, 80 min. p/s

9:30 PM Ten North Frederick (1953) Gary Cooper & Geraldine Fitzgerald. Dir:  Philip Dunne. 20th Century Fox, 102 min. Premiere

11:15 PM State & Main (2000) William H. Macy & Sarah Jessica Parker. Dir:  David Mamet. Fine Line Cinema, 105 min. Premiere

1 AM 42nd Street (1933) Warner Baxter & Ruby Keeler. Dir:  Lloyd Bacon. WB, 89 min. p/s

2:30 AM Miracle On 34th Street (1947) Maureen O’Hara & John Payne. Dir:  George Seaton. 20th Century Fox, 96 min. p/s

4:15 AM The House on 56th Street (1933) Kay Francis & Ricardo Cortez. Dir:  Robert Florey. WB, 69 min. p/s

5:30 AM 99 River Street (1953) John Payne & Evelyn Keyes. Dir:  Phil Karlson. Edward Small Prod, 83 min. p/s

TUESDAY, October 17, 2017

“Whistle while you work . . ..”

Seven Films for Seven Dwarfs

7 AM Who Killed Doc Robbin (1948) Larry Olsen & Billy Gray. Dir:  Bernard Carr. Hal Roach/United Artists, 55 min. Premiere

8 AM Grumpy Old Men (1993) Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau. Dir:  Donald Petrie. WB, 104 min. p/s

9:45 AM Happy Go Lovely (1951) David Niven & Vera-Ellen. Dir:  H. Bruce Humberstone. Marcel Hellman Prod, 95 min. p/s

11:30 AM The Beautiful Blonde From Bashful Bend (1949) Betty Grable & Cesar Romero. Dir:  Preston Sturges. 20th Century Fox, 77 min. BG Exempt

1 PM The Magnificent Dope (1942) Henry Fonda & Lynn Bari. Dir:  Walter Lang. 20th Century Fox, 84 min. Premiere

2:30 PM Sleepers West (1941) Lloyd Nolan & Lynn Bari. Dir:  Eugene Forde. 20th Century Fox, 74 min. p/s

3:45 PM Snappy Sneezer (1929) Charley Chase & Thelma Todd. Dir: Warren Doane. Hal Roach/MGM, 20 min. Short

“I do not want to be called ‘First Lady.’ It sounds like a saddle horse . . .”

First Ladies

4:15 PM Magnificent Doll (1946) Ginger Rogers & David Niven. Dir:  Frank Borzage. Universal, 95 min. Premiere

6 PM The President’s Lady (1953) Susan Hayward & Charlton Heston. Dir:  Henry Levin. 20th C. Fox, 97 min. p/s

7:45 PM Kiddie Kure (1940) Robert Blake & Darla Hood. Dir:  Edward L. Cahn. MGM, 10 min. p/s

“I’m not going to fight shadows.”

Happy 100th Birthday, Marsha Hunt.

8 PM The Virginia Judge (1935) Walter Kelly & Marsha Hunt, Dir:  Edward Sedgewick. Paramount, 60 min. Premiere

9 PM Star Reporter (1939) Warren Hill & Marsha Hunt. Dir: Howard Bretherton. Monogram, 62 min. p/d

10:15 Joe Smith, American (1942) Robert Young & Marsha Hunt. Dir: Richard Thorpe. MGM, 63 min. p/s

11:30 PM The Human Comedy (1944) Mickey Rooney & Frank Morgan. Dir:  Clarence Brown. MGM, 120 min. p/s

1:30 AM Raw Deal (1948) Dennis O’Keefe, Claire Trevor & Marsha Hunt. Dir:  Anthony Mann. Eagle-Lion Films, 79 min. p/s

3 AM Take One False Step (1949) William Powell, Shelley Winters & Marsha Hunt. Dir:  Chester Erskine. Universal, 94 min. p/s

4:30 AM Valley of Decision (1945) Greer Garson & Gregory Peck. Dir:  Tay Garnett. MGM, 118 min. p/s

WEDNESDAY, October 18, 2017

“I like to think you killed a man.  It’s the romantic in me.”

The Art of Collaboration  -- Julius & Phillip Epstein   --  Challenge #2

6 AM No Time For Comedy (1940) James Stewart & Rosalind Russell. Dir:  William Keighley. WB, 93 min. p/s

7:45 AM The Male Animal (1942) Henry Fonda & Olivia deHavilland. Dir:  Elliott Nugent. WB, 101 min. p/s

9:30 AM The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941) James Cagney & Bette Davis. Dir:  William Keighley. WB, 92 min. p/s

11:15 AM Mr. Skeffington (1944) Bette Davis & Claude Rains. Dir:  Vincent Sherman. WB, 146 min. p/s

1:45 PM Casablanca (1942) Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman. Dir:  Michael Curtiz. WB, 102 min. p/s

“I don’t know what to do with this guy, Henry. He’s an Irishman who doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke and doesn’t chase dames.”

A Salute to Ray Walston – LP’s Picks - Challenge #3

3:30 PM Damn Yankees (1958) Gwen Verdon & Ray Walston. Dir:  George Abbott & Stanley Donen. WB, 111 min. Exempt Premiere

5:30 PM The Sting (1973) Paul Newman & Robert Redford. Dir:  George Roy Hill. Universal Pictures, 129 min. p/s

7:45 PM Egypt Speaks (1951) Narrator/Dir:  James FitzPatrick. MGM, 9 min. p/s

“Love has got to stop some place short of suicide.”

Star of the Month – Walter Huston

8 PM Dodsworth (1936) Walter Huston & Ruth Chatterton. Dir:  William Wyler. Samuel Goldwyn, 90 min. p/s

9:30 PM Kongo (1932) Walter Huston & Virginia Bruce. Dir:  William Coven. MGM, 86 min. p/s

11PM Gabriel Over The White House (1933) Walter Huston & Karen Morley. Dir:  Gregory LaCava. MGM, 87 min. p/s

12:30 AM American Madness (1932) Walter Huston & Pat O’Brien. Dir:  Frank Capra. Columbia, 76 min. p/s

2 AM Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Humphrey Bogart & Walter Huston. Dir:  John Huston. WB, 124 min. p/s

4:15 AM The Shanghai Gesture (1942) Gene Tierney & Walter Huston. Dir:  Josef von Sternberg. United Artists, 98 min. p/s

THURSDAY, October 19, 2017

“You saved me from the sin of pride, the sin of ambition.”

Films With Endings To Make Feminists Cringe

6 AM Ann Carver’s Profession (1933) Fay Wray & Gene Raymond. Dir:  Edward Buzzell. Columbia, 71 min. p/s

7:15 AM Female (1933) Ruth Chatterton & George Brent. Dir:  Michael Curtiz. WB, 60 min. p/s

8:15 AM The Flame Within (1935) Ann Harding & Herbert Marshall. Dir:  Edmund Goulding. MGM, 72 min. p/s

9:30 AM The Law In Her Hands (1936) Margaret Lindsay & Glenda Farrell. Dir:  William Clemens. WB, 58 min. p/s

10:30 AM Ann Vickers (1933) Irene Dunne & Walter Huston. Dir: John Cromwell. RKO, 76 min. p/s

“Next Sunday we’re all getting out into the air.  We’re going to Coney Island!”

Coney Island

12 PM Coney Island (1917) Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle & Buster Keaton. Dir:  Roscoe Arbuckle. Paramount, 24 min. p/s

12:30 PM The Devil and Miss Jones (1941) Jean Arthur & Robert Cummings. Dir:  Sam Wood. RKO, 92 min. p/s

2:15 PM Coney Island (1943) Betty Grable & George Montgomery. Dir:  Walter Lang. 20th Century Fox, 96 min. p/s

4 PM Coney Island Honeymoon (1945) Warren Douglas & Angela Greene. Dir:  Arnold Albert. WB, 20 min. p/s

4:30 PM The Girl From Coney Island aka Just Another Blonde (1926) Dorothy Mackaill & Jack Mulhall. Dir:  Alfred Santell. First National, 60 min. p/s

5:30 PM The Little Fugitive (1953) Richie Andrusco & Richard Brewster. Dirs:  Ray Ashley, Morris Engel & Ruth Orkan. Little Fugitive Prod., 80 min. p/s

7 PM The Last Days of Coney Island (2015) Omar Jones & Libby Aubrey. Dir: 

Ralph Bakshi. Ralph Bakshi Prod., 22 min. Premiere

7:30 PM Going To Blazes (1948) Dir:  Gunter von Fritsch. MGM, 21 min. p/s

“I knew there was only one woman in the world who could attract men like that.  A woman with a lot of money.”

Sleuthing Spouses

8 PM The Ex Mrs. Bradford (1936) William Powell & Jean Arthur. Dir:  Stephen Roberts. RKO, 82 min. p/s

9:30 PM Another Thin Man (1939) William Powell & Myrna Loy. Dir:  W.S. Van Dyke. MGM, 103 min. p/s

11:15 PM There’s That Woman Again (1938) Melvyn Douglas & Virginia Bruce. Dir:  Columbia, 72 min. p/s

1:30 AM Fast and Loose (1939) Robert Montgomery & Rosalind Russell. Dir:  Edwin L. Marin. MGM, 80 min. p/s

3 AM Haunted Honeymoon (1940) Robert Montgomery & Constance Cummings. Dir:  Arthur B. Woods. MGM-Brit., 83 min. p/s

4:30 AM Fast and Furious (1939) Franchot Tone & Ann Sothern. Dir:  Busby Berkley. MGM. 73 min. p/s

5:45 AM Are Animals Actors? (1945) Dir:  Knox Manning. WB, 14 min. p/s

FRIDAY, October 20, 2017

“She looks like a cross between Lucrezia Borgia and Peg ‘O My Heart.”

Beautiful Monsters

6 AM Born To Be Bad (1950) Joan Fontaine & Robert Ryan. Dir:  Nicholas Ray.

RKO, 94 min. p/s

7:45 AM Leave Her To Heaven (1945) Gene Tierney & Cornel Wilde. Dir:  John Stahl. 20th Century Fox, 110 min. p/s

9:45 AM The Bad Seed (1956) Nancy Kelly & Patty McCormack. Dir:  Mervyn LeRoy, WB, 129 min. p/s

12 PM The Locket (1946) Laraine Day & Brian Aherne. Dir:  John Brahm. RKO, 85 min. p/s

1:30 PM Decoy (1946) Jean Gillie & Edward Norris. Dir:  Jack Bernhard. Bernhard-Brandt Prod., 76 min. p/s

“I’d like to say a word for the cowboys.”

Western States

3 PM Arizona (1931) Laura LaPlante & John Wayne. Dir:  George Seitz. Columbia, 70 min. p/s

4:15 PM Montana (1950) Erroll Flynn & Alexis Smith. Dirs:  Ray Enright & Raoul Walsh. WB, 76 min. p/s

5:45 PM Oklahoma (1955) Gordon MacRae & Shirley Jones. Dir:  Fred Zinnemann. RKO, 145 min. p/s

7:30 PM Be Big (1931) Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy. Dir:  James Horne. Hal Roach Studios, 28 min. p/s

“Lex Luthor. Perhaps you’ve heard of me? The Greatest Criminal Mind on Earth?”

Friday Night Spotlight – Comic Strips on Film

8 PM Blondie (1938) Penny Singleton & Arthur Lake. Dir:  Frank R. Strayer. Columbia, 70 min. Premiere

9:15 PM Dick Tracy (1945) Morgan Conway & Anne Jeffreys. Dir:  William A. Berke. RKO, 61 min. p/s

10:30 PM Dick Tracy (1990) Warren Beatty & Al Pacino. Dir:  Warren Beatty.

Touchstone Pictures, 105 min. p/s

12:15 AM Superman 2 (1980) Gene Hackman & Christopher Reeve. Dir:  Richard Donner & Richard Lester. Dovemead Films, 116 min. p/s

“I don’t drink . . . wine.”

Happy Birthday, Bela Lugosi

2:15 AM Dracula (1931) Bela Lugosi & Helen Chandler. Dir: Tod Browning.

Universal, 75 min. p/s

3:30 AM Ninotchka (1939) Greta Garbo & Melvyn Douglas. Dir:  Ernst Lubitsch.

MGM, 110 min. p/s

5:30 AM Asleep In The Fleet (1933) Zasu Pitts & Thelma Todd. Dir:  Gus Mein. Hal Roach Studios, 19 min. p/s

SATURDAY, October, 21, 2017

“And you, sir, are a steely eyed missile man.”

The TCM Seldom Seen Film Festival

6 AM Born On The 4th of July (1989) Tom Cruise & Kyra Sedgwick. Dir:  Oliver Stone. Universal, 145 min. p/s

8:30 AM The Detective (1968) Frank Sinatra & Lee Remick. Dir:  Gordon Douglas. Arcola Pictures, 114 min. p/s

10:30 AM Magnificent Obsession (1935) Irene Dunne & Robert Taylor. Dir:  John Stahl. Universal, 112 min. p/s

12:30 PM The Scarlet Claw (1944) Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce. Dir:  Roy William Neill. Universal, 74 min. p/s

1:45 PM That Wonderful Urge (1948) Tyrone Power & Gene Tierney. Dir:  Robert B. Sinclair. 29th Century Fox, 90 min. p/s

2:15  PM Appointment In Berlin (1943) George Sanders & Marguerite Chapman. Dir:  Alfred E. Green. Columbia, 77 min. p/s

3:45 PM Great Day (1945) Eric Portman & Flora Robson. Dir:  Lance Comfort. RKO/GB, 62 min. p/s

5 PM Les Bonnes Femmes (1960) Bernadette Lafont & Clotilde Joano. Dir:  Claude Chabrol. Paris Film, 100 min. p/s

6:45 PM The Black Dakotas (1954) Gary Merrill & Wanda Hendrix. Dir:  Ray Nazarro. Columbia, 65 min. p/s

8 PM Apollo 13 (1995) Tom Hanks & Bill Paxton. Dir:  Ron Howard. Imagine Ent./Universal, 140 min. p/s (THE ESSENTIAL)

10:30 PM Contact (1997) Jodie Foster & David Morse. Dir:  Robert Zemekis. Southside Amusement/WB, 150 min. p/s

“I’ve had this brain for thirty years.  It hasn’t done me any good.”

The TCM Seldom Seen Film Festival Continues --  TCM Underground

1 AM The 30 Ft. Bride of Candy Rock (1959) Lou Costello & Dorothy Provine. Dir:  Sidney Miller. D.R.B. Prod., 75 min. p/s

2:30 AM The Atomic City (1952) Gene Barry & Lydia Clarke. Dir:  Jerry Hopper.

Paramount, 85 min. p/s

4 AM The Crazies (1973) Lane Carroll & Will MacMillan. Dir:  George Romero. Pittsburgh Films, 103 min. p/s