NZ

THE ONE MUSICAL YOU'D TAKE WITH YOU IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IS...

153 posts in this topic

This is, of course, assuming the island was once inhabited by a tribal band of film lovers who left behind all of their movie equipment and 5.1 surround stuff in pristine condition and with a power source to fire it all up on those nights when dolphin watching just gets too, too boring.

I like a lot of movies in all sorts of genres. But if I had to choose one musical to take with me it would probably be Footlight Parade...if only to remind me how taking a shower 'by a waterfall' ought to be!

What's yours?

I'd want Berkeley's Beauties around, too. What's the one where he photographed several ladies in silhouette on a Hollywood Squares sort of stage? It's in my boxed set, but I can't recall which particular film that shot is from.

Man, it would be almost impossible to choose just one. That's almost like choosing just one of your children. If I had to, offhand I'd say South Pacific, that never fails to put me in a good mood. But I'll probably change my mind several times..............

I love your choice South Pacific. what is your favorite song from that movie?I love all the songs but I have to say my favorite is Some Enchanted Evening, then There Is Nothing Like A Dame.

I don't know if I could pick one song as my favorite. I'd have to think about that.............

I already can have only one musical on the island. Now I have to pick one song?.............. LOL

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

Just for a laugh if you could pick a song from another great musical For South Pacific what would it be That would tough for even me to choose.

lol

Christine

SINGIN IN THE RAIN is the one musical I would pick, along with the title song, closely followed by THE BAND WAGON. I just viewed the recently released 2 disc set of SOUTH PACIFIC. Although the film has a great score and beautiful too look at (except for those awful filters), in my opinion its the weakest of the R&H film musicals. Mitzi Gaynor is a bit too sophisticated in the part of Nellie Forbush. The role should definitely have gone to Doris Day.

South Pacific is certainly the most thematic for a desert island. There aren't many island musicals, are there? Pagan Love Song, Blue Hawaii... is that it? Bing Crosby should have made Robinson Croons So with Dorothy Lamour...

Anyway, if I'm abandoned like Ariadne on some island I think I should pick a lengthy musical (since we're only allowed one). Cukor's A Star Is Born has the breadth to sustain for some time. I'd consider New York, New York too...

I assume we're to construct a screen using a sail from our ex-vessel? How will we project it? With kerosene and a cocoanut shell, a la Gilligan?

My thoughts exactly. Doris Day was MADE for that role. If Josh Logan hadn't been so short-sighted... I think he was angry that Doris wouldn't audition for Nellie at a party.

We're Not Dressing gives you both the crooning Bing and a desert island setting (not to mention Carole Lombard... "Love Thy Neighbor" is right!).

We're Not Dressing... My pick. Has to be... But I would take any Bing pre-code, doesn't really matter which. This one is the best I have seen so far, though. But it is nearly impossible to even consider limiting myself to just one musical for the rest of my life... Some of them mean so much to me, like Easter Parade, In The Good Old Summertime, Singin' In The Rain, Brigadoon. The thought of not seeing them again is hard to fathom.

Gaynor was OK as Nellie Forbush, but Day who would have been a much more believable choice as a small town, apple pie girl. Most people felt Gaynor was a bit too sophisticated and all too wise in this role. Incredibly director Joshua Logan's first choice for Nellie was Elizabeth Taylor.

Well, a real southerner would have been novel--wasn't Nellie from Arkansas? I had a whole new perspective on the show when I saw Reba McEntire singing the role on a PBS special. I don't much like country music, but it worked to have a southerner singing those songs!

> I like a lot of movies in all sorts of genres. But if

> I had to choose one musical to take with me it would

> probably be Footlight Parade...if only to remind me

> how taking a shower 'by a waterfall' ought to be!

>

> What's yours?

Anything with musical numbers by Busby Berkely.

Ohh man, that's a tough one.

My initial thought was Singin' in the Rain...but I saw that someone mentioned the original 1945 version of State Fair....and now I'm torn.

Oh, and I just remembered High Society.

Can't we bring 3? Pretty please?

Maybe 5...

;)

And the winner is...

THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT, Jacques Demy's glorious 1967 muscial spectacle wtih Cahterine Deneuve and Francoise Dorleac (real-life sisters playing twins; tragically, Ms. Dorleac was killed in an automobile accident just days after completing the film); others in the cast are George Chakiris, Gene Kelly, Danielle Darrieux, Grover Dale and Michel Picoli. Music by the incomprable Michel Legrand.

Runners-up:

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

THE BAND WAGON

EASTER PARADE

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

...is "Singin' in the Rain" (1952). What else could it be?

Of course, if my lifeboat had room for a few more movies, they would be:

"Kiss Me Kate" (1953)

"The Music Man" (1962)

"The Band Wagon" (1953)

"42nd Street" (1933) and

"Swing Time" (1936).

These are the creme de la creme of musical films. Too bad the AFI doesn't think so... but they probably don't watch anything made earlier than 1960... OR, in black and white!

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

It would have to be a Fred and Ginger.....so my pick would be Shall we Dance.

If it couldn't be a Fred and Ginger, I'd need Gordon MacRae's voice, and my favorite there is The Best Things in Life are Free--or maybe Tea for Two!

That's one hard decision.

Well first off it would be great to be stranded on an island with all of you because it is impossible to choose just one and if we were all on the same island it wouldn't be too bad but if I had to choose I'd bring Singing in the Rain and if I too had room in my life boat I would bring

>Kiss Me Kate

>Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

>My Fair Lady

>And all the Rogers and Hammerstein movies I could carry

i'm not real big on musicals, but it would have to be

Yankee Doodle Dandy.

honorable mentions go to :

Fiddler On The Roof

Jesus Christ Superstar