NZ

THE ONE MUSICAL YOU'D TAKE WITH YOU IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IS...

153 posts in this topic

I would have to pick Yankee Doodle Dandy, even risking being drummed out of the family. But I don't think cousin Cyd is leaving me anything in her will anyway.

Never have hung out with cousin Cyd. We are a little distant relations. My great-grandmother was her aunt. In fact, Cyd did use the family name, Norwood, for a while. I'm more the age of her youngest son.

A friend told me about Tony's 90th birthday party a while back at the Friar's Club, and she suggested that I go, but I didn't. I had just spent a fortune going to a dinner to honor my hero, Martin Sheen, and I was a little broke.

I'm watching The Band Wagon right now, and it is an awfully good movie. That's entertainment.

Well life on a desert island would definitely be more palatable with a Cyd Charisse musical... have you seen On an Island with You lately? I love her dance number with... is it Ricardo Montalban?

Aye, I TiVo'd it last time it showed, the cast is sweet -- Cyd, Ricardo, Esther, Peter Lawford, Jimmy Durante, Xavier Cougat. :)

Do you think Ricardo was a better dancer than Peter?

Oh I don't know. They're about the same. "It's like comparing apples to oranges," as Ms. Charisse put it about Mr. Astaire and Mr. Kelly, "They're both delicious." Same goes for these two.

I don't think it is strictly a musical, but I would take "Gilda". Rita put more into her renditions of "Put the Blame on Mame" that some other artists put into a whole musical.

I've heard that she was dubbed but I'm sure that even without any dubbing she would have been amazing!

> I don't think it is strictly a musical, but I would

> take "Gilda". Rita put more into her renditions of

> "Put the Blame on Mame" that some other artists put

> into a whole musical.

>

> I've heard that she was dubbed but I'm sure that even

> without any dubbing she would have been amazing!

I agree with you, Rita Hayworth was so sexy singing, dancing, throwing her hair back, in every way, dubbing or not! :-)

"I've heard that Rita Hayworth [in "Gilda"] was dubbed but I'm sure that even without any dubbing she would have been amazing!"

Yes, Ms. Hayworth expertly lipsynched to the voice of Anita Ellis in Gilda.

Ms. 1940 queried, "Does anyone else think that Rita Hayworth shares a strong resemblance to the young Julia Roberts?"

I'm betting Ms. Roberts would like to think so, but Hayworth was "The Goddess" and Ms. Roberts -- lovely though she may be -- pales in comparison. Some of Roberts' hairstyles from the 1980's were reminiscent of Hayworth's...

That was good too, but what really made the other song stand out for me is how good Lawford's French pronunciation was - which of course made June Allyson's character seem such a much better teacher. Of course, PL had learned French when he was still living in Europe, and I believe he was fully fluent.

> Good News...I'm just so in love with June Allyson and

> the Varsity Drag number is one of the best.

OMG, I love that movie too! It's so charming in every way. It makes me smile just to think about it :-)