NZ

THE ONE MUSICAL YOU'D TAKE WITH YOU IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IS...

153 posts in this topic

The one musical I'd take with me if I were stranded on an island is . . .

An American in Paris.

That is an awesome musical as well, malkat. The final sequence alone is more than worth the price of admission. Although I must confess, I do wonder what the movie would have been like with Cyd Charisse instead of Leslie Caron. They're both awfully talented, I just like Cyd a tad more than Leslie :)

I would take "Bye Bye Birdie", because it's just so much fun, and it has the beautiful Ann-Margret and some of my favorite choreography from any musical. I never get tired of that one.

That one was fun, too. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Anne Margret is very charming! She was also very good in Viva Las Vegas, with THE KING!! :x

Mmm come to think of it, should I take an Elvis movie to a desert island? B-)

If I had to pick at least one musical it would have to be RENT. It?s not only my favorite movie of all time but it?s my favorite musical to. I just love the catchy rock songs and all the songs have great beat and snappy lyrics. Now don?t get me wrong I love classics like SINGING IN THE RAIN, FUNNY FACE, TOP HAT, any thing with Judy Garland in it and anything Rodgers and Hammerstein but when it comes down to point of choosing just one it would have to be RENT I just could live with out those rock songs!!!!

"An American in Paris" for in it you will be able to "Build a Starway to Paradise"

but given the surroundings, you may want to stay on THAT island !!

and...........you wont need any power !!!

Put me down for ...

"The Band Wagon"

Cyd & Fred's "Dancing in the Dark" routine is an absolute classic. It wasn't necessarily Fred's best performance, but taking everything into consideration --music, set design, and Cyd's look -- the "Dancing in the Dark" routine is my all-time favorite.

1st Runner-up = "On An Island With You" (Esther: woof-woof)

2nd Runner-up = "Viva Las Vegas" (only because of the opening credits)

I think I may have already answered this, a long time ago, but it's a no-brainer for me. I'd take The Sound of Music, the greatest accomplishment in a screen musical, ever, imo!

hi, a first timer here on the board, I would have chosen The Sound of Music...but that was until Hairspray came into my life. to choose one musical (especially when your forte is based on that genre) is just plain wrong.

I thought Hairspray was very cute, and fun and I really like the numbers, but I still prefer John Waters original film. It's much more authentic to the period, and while the musical is fun, it is never funny, while Waters film is funny throughout. Still, of the more recent musicals, Hairspray is the best, and it's better than many musicals, regardless of decade.

.but that was until Hairspray came into my life.

I loved Hairspray - both versions! Each one has its own unique charms and it's great that they can even work together (if you watch them together on DVD) but at the same time those who prefer the big, star-studded Hollywood treatment can see the 2007 version.

Just watched the newer "Hairspray" last night and thought it was a lot of fun. Loved the numbers with Queen Latifa--her songs were amazing in "Chicago" too--why isn't she a bigger star? anyway, I only had one sort-of problem with the casting--while he did a good job, I don't get John Travolta as the mom. I know that Divine played her in the original, but that was a John Waters thing. Why not just have a woman play the role?

Also, has anyone noticed--lately some of the biggest older female stars are playing a lot of villains? Michelle Pfeiffer in this and also "Stardust" and Nicole Kidman in "The Golden Compass?"

I loved " Hairspray" and I agree with you that the casting of Travolta as the mother makes not sense- I can understand in the Broadway show they were paying a tribute to Divine.

Who knows? Maybe Travolta got another one of his brainwaves--remember "Battlefield Earth?" Only this time, he picked a winner...

I would have to pick either Summer Stock (1950) or Star! (1968) or Funny Face (1957)

but it is a realllllly hard decision.

Roberta. (1935) Irene Dunne, Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire. Haven't seen it all but want to. I guess of the one I've seen would be, uh, I don't know! I'm not a musical fan unless it has Ginger Rogers or Fred Astaire!