NZ

THE ONE MUSICAL YOU'D TAKE WITH YOU IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IS...

153 posts in this topic

Is that movie good? I've always wanted to see it, is it in color????? Who's it got in it? I have the soundtrack!!!! It's magnificent....."Gotta wash that man right out of my hair" is my favorite...When was it made?

Message was edited by: virginia1995

It would have to be Guys & Dolls. Sky, Sister Sarah and Nathan would keep me entertained until I was rescued. If no relief was sent, that would be okay too. I have only watched this film dozens of times and never failed to to be delighted with the acting and the songs; the songs. the songs. The scene I live for is when Sky and Sarah return from Havana and come together in front of the mission. Sarah is in love and full bloom as she sings " Your Eyes Are The Eyes Of A Man In Love." Sky returns the favor and the moment is pure enchantment (for me!) Brando's casting against type is excellent. Thank goodness his voice is his own and not dubbed. Jeanne Simmons stole my heart and I would have attended meetings at her mission, even though I am not a Christian and do not seek salvation or redemption. What I do want is Sarah, the woman, to sing to me like she did to Marlon. Yes, I would have resorted to spiking her coconut milk to this end, but I do not know if I would have had the moral conviction to bring her home, as Sky did. What a guy! The cast of Runyon characters is effectively portrayed and the in-studio effect gives the feeling of being at a Broadway show. If I finally was rescued, the first thing I would pack in my coconut-fiber luggage would be this film and replace it with a DVD version as soon as I returned to civilization. Watch it; you will love it, I promise. Enjoy...

"Singin' in the Rain". Donald O'Connor did not play second to Gene Kelly.

Not a Debbie Reynolds fan but thought she shone in this musical

A popular choice I see, but... "Singin' In the Rain" is in my top 3 fave films of all time. Even if I wasn't limited to choosing a musical, that would be the one film I would take along.

If I could sneak a few more:

An American In Paris

Me and My Gal

Spinout

Message was edited by: GeneKGirl

It would have to be: "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" W./Catherine Deneuve! I love the fact the film dialogue is all sung as recitative, even the most casual conversation.

Runners Up:

The Sound of Music

Chicago

Moulin Rouge!

Singing in the Rain

Evita W./Madonna!

I saw a little of Daddy Long Legs last Saturday, and it had been so long I?d forgotten how good it really is. I remembered the song, ?Something?s Gotta Give? but that was about it. I guess as a kid the romantic angle didn?t mean all that much to me, but seeing it now is great fun.

If I could watch any musical I want right now though I think it would be Silk Stockings. (I almost wrote, ??I think I?d put on Silk Stockings? ? whoa good thing I?m sharp today.) Cyd Charisse is a poem, and this is another I?ve neglected for a long while.

It's not that good. Fred and Ginger shine! No offense to Irene (I just adore Irene!), but F&G are kind of second fiddles to Irene and Randolph Scott, so it wasn't my favorite!

The Barkleys Of Broadway.

It's kind of weird because it isn't that well made. But I can watch it over and over!

Maybe I can burn a lot of movies on to one huge disc! :)

If I can I will bring: (not in this order)

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers

Swing Time

High Society

Oklahoma!

Singin' In The Rain

Can't Help Singing

(1945) State Fair

Kiss Me Kate

Easter Parade

Annie Get Your Gun

Calamity Jane

Three Smart Girls

Oh no! I'm worried I forgot something! What if I get on the island and realize I forgot a favorite. I sure hope Netflicks make parachute drops!

I would have to say"Singin' in the Rain". I remenber a little about seeing it when I was a kid. When I grew up and they invented VCR's, it was the first musical I bought. I always considered it THE musical.

If I were to make that decision today, it would probably be An American In Paris, because Gershwin music and the production details of this film could always lift my spirits.

But if I were to decide sometime in the future - with Juke Box Rhythm available on DVD - then I'd probably choose this title. Being able to look at the 21-year-old Jack Jones would be especially therapeutic :D (and the fact that he's exceptionally talented an added bonus).

> {quote:title=orson4ever wrote:}{quote}

> But if I were to decide sometime in the future - with Juke Box Rhythm available on DVD - then I'd probably choose this title. Being able to look at the 21-year-old Jack Jones would be especially therapeutic :D (and the fact that he's exceptionally talented an added bonus).

Does TCM ever show this? Because it seems to be a Columbia movie.