NZ

THE ONE MUSICAL YOU'D TAKE WITH YOU IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IS...

153 posts in this topic

All That Jazz, with apologies to Cabaret. I'm a huge Fosse fan, and both movies are among my favorite films of any genre of all time.

• Like 1

I would have to take *Gold Diggers of 1933*. It has Dick Powell, my favorite actor, but besides him, it has a lot of other great stars: Ruby Keeler, Joan Blondell, Ned Sparks, Aline MacMahone, Ginger Rogers, Guy Kibbee, etc.

And the music! "Torch Song," "In the Shadows," "My Forgotten Man," and my favorite pre-code song "Pettin' in the Park."

I would also pick a 30s Warner musical,  Footlight Parade;   it also has Powell, Keeler, Blondell and Kibbee,  but stars James Cagney as well.     Love all of those WB 30s musicals.  

• Like 1

I would take West Side Story.  It was the first contemporary musical I saw as a child and growing up in NY in the 1960s the location and scenes felt very familiar to me so I related to it.  Plus I've seen it a gazillion times and have never gotten tired of it.

I would take On the Town.  I never tire of watching it and it stars three of my favorite musical stars: Gene Kelly, Ann Miller and Vera-Ellen.  

• Like 1

"Top Hat" is my favorite Astaire/Rogers musical.

Top Hat gets a lot of love and deserving so.    While I said Swing Time is the one musical I would pick,  Top Hat has a better storyline.  I picked Swing Time because of the Kern music but Check to Check by Berlin is one for the ages.

• Like 1

Top Hat gets a lot of love and deserving so.    While I said Swing Time is the one musical I would pick,  Top Hat has a better storyline.  I picked Swing Time because of the Kern music but Check to Check by Berlin is one for the ages.

I love all the Astaire and Rogers musicals and picking one has always been very difficult, especially when each musical has one superb dance number that stands out for me. So, it came down to Top Hat because my favorite Fred and Ginger dance number is to Irving Berlin's "Isn't This A Lovely Day To Be Caught In The Rain". I can watch this dance number over and over again and each time is better than the time before. Whenever I need some cheering up for whatever the reason, I'll take out my dvd of all the Astaire/Rogers musicals and go straight to Top Hat and Berlin's "Isn't This A Lovely Day To Be Caught In The Rain" and I'm lost in dancer's heaven (if there is such a place). Sometimes I reflect about how important the Astaire/Rogers musicals have been in my life. I wish I could take them all, but if not, TOP HAT is the one for me.

• Like 2

I love all the Astaire and Rogers musicals and picking one has always been very difficult, especially when each musical has one superb dance number that stands out for me. So, it came down to Top Hat because my favorite Fred and Ginger dance number is to Irving Berlin's "Isn't This A Lovely Day To Be Caught In The Rain". I can watch this dance number over and over again and each time is better than the time before. Whenever I need some cheering up for whatever the reason, I'll take out my dvd of all the Astaire/Rogers musicals and go straight to Top Hat and Berlin's "Isn't This A Lovely Day To Be Caught In The Rain" and I'm lost in dancer's heaven (if there is such a place). Sometimes I reflect about how important the Astaire/Rogers musicals have been in my life. I wish I could take them all, but if not, TOP HAT is the one for me.

The dance dynamic of Astaire and Rogers is so important to the emotional development of the various storylines.

For me, it would be Stanley Donen's "Funny Face" with Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn.

I have never gotten over the overall beauty of this truly inspired musical.

Somehow, creating a fictional approach to the life of photographer Richard Avedon was the perfect accompaniment to the spirit and energy of a musical.

And Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn, who were far apart in age, became somehow "the perfect couple".

Funny%20Face%20review_600.jpg

• Like 2

For me it would have to be The Music Man (1962). I remember watching this one when I was really small, and re-watched it about 3 years ago, and I've seen it several times since. I really love both Shirley Jones & Robert Preston together. Paul Ford and Hermione Gingold (who played the mayor and his wife, respectively) were hilarious supporting characters. 

I don't know what it is about this movie, but it is definitely one that I can watch at almost any stage of my life. The "Marian the Librarian" song and dance sequence is one of my favorites in movie history.

MM-Carrion.png

• Like 3

It would be "West Side Story"!!

West Side Story--Yeh!  That would be my choice, too!

Can you take musicals that are set on islands? :)

Isn't South Pacific set on an island?  

For me it would have to be The Music Man (1962). I remember watching this one when I was really small, and re-watched it about 3 years ago, and I've seen it several times since. I really love both Shirley Jones & Robert Preston together. Paul Ford and Hermione Gingold (who played the mayor and his wife, respectively) were hilarious supporting characters. 

I don't know what it is about this movie, but it is definitely one that I can watch at almost any stage of my life. The "Marian the Librarian" song and dance sequence is one of my favorites in movie history.

MM-Carrion.png

Next to THE SOUND OF MUSIC, I think it is the greatest film musical of all time!  It's perfect.

• Like 1

I'll say 42nd Street.  There's something hypnotic about it.  The way it captures the energy, mood, and glamour of New York's Broadway scene in the early 1930s never seems to get old. 

• Like 1

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS 
I loved everything about this wonderful movie starring JUDY GARLAND. The songs, the story, the scenery, the costumes, the casting. This was Metro Goldwyn Mayer during " The Golden Age Of Hollywood". I can watch this wonderful movie over and over again and never get tired of it. This is among my top 5 favorite movies of all time. " A Movie Musical Masterpiece ". 

Next to THE SOUND OF MUSIC, I think it is the greatest film musical of all time!  It's perfect.

Love this film as well. Couldn't believe Shirley was pregnant with her son Patrick throughout the entire filming of the movie. :huh:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS 

I loved everything about this wonderful movie starring JUDY GARLAND. The songs, the story, the scenery, the costumes, the casting. This was Metro Goldwyn Mayer during " The Golden Age Of Hollywood". I can watch this wonderful movie over and over again and never get tired of it. This is among my top 5 favorite movies of all time. " A Movie Musical Masterpiece ". 

Amazing film!!! Hard to believe Judy did "The Trolley Song" in one take. She was incredible. I remember crying when heard the announcement of her death on the radio in 1969.

• Like 1

The Sound of Music. There.'a just something so darn irresistable about Julie Andrews. Close second is Singin' in the Rain. Third is The Music Man.

• Like 1

The Sound of Music. There.'a just something so darn irresistable about Julie Andrews.

Obviously, I couldn't agree with you more!  Julie is irresistible and The Sound of Music is my number 1 favorite.

I would also have to add Thoroughly Modern Millie and Victor/Victoria to my island playlist of Julie titles.

Non-Julie musical, The Music Man is definitely high on the list.  

• Like 1

I don't think it is strictly a musical, but I would take "Gilda". Rita put more into her renditions of "Put the Blame on Mame" that some other artists put into a whole musical.

I've heard that she was dubbed but I'm sure that even without any dubbing she would have been amazing!

Since dubbing was very common during that period, it wouldn't be surprising if Rita's voice was dubbed in this particular musical.  

The Sound of Music. There.'a just something so darn irresistable about Julie Andrews. Close second is Singin' in the Rain. Third is The Music Man.

Yup.  The Sound of Music and Music Man were both lots of fun...and exuberant, too.   While neither of these two movie/musicals hold the same special place in my heart regarding musicals and movies generally, they, too, are worth seeing and are possible candidates for me to have while stranded on a desert island.

I love your choice South Pacific. what is your favorite song from that movie?I love all the songs but I have to say my favorite is Some Enchanted Evening, then There Is Nothing Like A Dame.

In addition to There is Nothing Like a Dame and Some Enchanted Evening, I also like  "I'm as Corny as Kansas in August" and "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair", as well.