Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

31 Days of Oscar 2017: A to Z

29 posts in this topic

Yesterday, while looking at the TCM schedule for films to be aired later this month, I noticed a 2nd film title for the 31 Days of Oscar 2017: A to Z which is out of place in the alphabetical listing: "I Vitelloni" (tranlation of the Italian title: "The Layabouts" - today we would probably say "The Slackers" - a slang meaning of the phrase which refers to fattened veal calves.) "I" is "the" in Italian. That means, for proper alphabetical listing, "I", the initial article in the title, is to be ignored for the purposes of alphabetizing. The film should have been alphabetized as "V." Unfortunately, whomever was in charge of placing the films to be shown in alphabetical order by title, plus whomever was in charge of proofreading the list were not familiar regarding Italian and how the title translated to Englsih.

• Like 1

Loved Blazing Saddles, but I thought it was a stretch putting it on TCM. Same with Dream Girls and Fame. We were disappointed that Lawrence Of Arabia was left off due to " time constraints". 

I am liking the mix we're getting with the A-Z, it's been fairly good.  

Do agree about Dreamgirls.  I am one of those sticklers for the 25 year mark being used for classic movies.  So, Blazing Saddles would make it in - but not Dreamgirls.  

What has bugged me - I know they cannot put all the movies on On Demand.  But, for those of us without DVR, the ones in the middle of the night.....couldn't they just have some common courtesy for once?  I mean, I'm not staying up until 3:00 am to watch Mon Oncle D'Amerique - but if you're going to have it - to actually play a foreign movie (heaven forbid) - couldn't you at least make it MORE available?

So could 31 Days of Oscar keep some of the regular specialized programming, like Oscar contending silent on Sunday evenings, followed by foreign films also nominated. Would make the month less different from the rest of the year. Just a thought.