Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

SF & Fantasy Trivia

511 posts in this topic

This 70's SF film was directed by a member of a major Hollywood family. It concerns young people being sent into the future to repopluate the Earth after an impending ecological disaster will wipe out humanity. Only young people can be sent forward, as older people will die from the process of time travel.

Name the film and the director.

Yes it is Lawrence.  Howard Anderson was responsible for the Special Effects.  His work varied in quality.  I remember him best for "Varan, The Unbelievable" (1962) where the monster resembles...a flying squirrel.  

Your thread, Lawrence. :)

• Like 1

This early British science fiction film concerned the building a massive engineering project. The star was an American who had starred in a best picture winner a few years earlier.

Name the film, the construction project that was the film's focus, and the American star.

"TransAtlantic Tunnel" (1935).  The project was a underground tunnel linking England and the U.S.  It starred Richard Dix, who had starred in the Oscar winning "Cimarron" (1931).

This low budget sci-fi musical spoof was lucky enough to have a major film cinematographer and one of its' songs hit the charts after it was released.  The film plays like a channel surfing music video and the leading lady has a good enough voice her other performances can be forgiven.  Please name the film, cinematographer, and three stars.

I researched this one, but I'm still not sure this is the correct one.

Toomorrow (1970), starring Olivia Newton-John, Benny Thomas, and Roy Dotrice. Cinematographer was Dick Bush.

I also thought of Gonks Go Beat (1965) with Kenneth Connor, Frank Thornton and Terry Scott, with Peter Newbrook as cinematographer (he was a regular camera operator on David Lean films).

LawrenceA--That's not the film.  This one's a bit more recent; emphasis on "the leading lady's past performances can be forgiven.

Hint--A MTV video is grafted into the first ten minutes of the film.  The song and video achieved moderate, if short lived, popularity.

I'm guessing from your post elsewhere that the answer is Voyage of the Rock Aliens starring Pia Zadora, Craig Sheffer and Ruth Gordon, with Gilbert Taylor on the cameras.

Somehow I've missed seeing this one. It sounds ridiculous.

tumblr_llriyl4Z3g1qac9iz.jpg

Lawrence--You're correct.  The video is on YouTube, and is a minor gem of tacky silliness.  Watch for the throwaway gags, the things you glimpse out of the corner of your eye.

a sign one of the monsters carries: "Loch Ness Or Bust!!"

Your Thread, Lawrence. :)

This fantasy, based on a poem from the 14th century, featured several well-known stars in supporting roles. Perhaps the most famous was one of the biggest box office stars of the 1960's, and this film was seen as a career low-point. His fortunes would change with a major comeback role in the late 1980's that lead to an Oscar win and numerous more starring roles in hit films, despite his advancing age.

Name the film, the major star at a low point, and a few more of the cast.

Lawrence--No, but I like the title.

Hint--Trees are affected.

Ha! - I forgot that radiation was involved in From Hell It Came. Tabanga!