Sign in to follow this  
drdoolittle

Snow White

14 posts in this topic

I was just wondering how many of you on this board thought that Snow White is really not a movie for young children!I don't it is, considering that queen tried to have hunter kill her or she did with a posion apple i remember seeing as a child and never thought twice about it. but as an adult the more i think about it, I do not consider it would be good for a small child to watch. Not all Step parents are like that .it has to be scary for a little child who never really understands it. It's just my thoughts I would to hear what you think.Or do you have any other movies that you might consider that are meant for small children.

....i remember seeing as a child and never thought twice about it....

There's your answer. I think most of us are like that as children. We watch, it's a story, we accept. We know the difference between stories and real life. And, as I posted a little while ago on another thread, we (most of us) like/liked being scared, since we knew/know we can come back from that to the real world. I mean, Cruella DeVille (the original one)... eeek!!!!!!!!!!!! And the villains always met their match.

Of course, that doesn't keep "stories" from meaning lots of different things for the adults reading/watching. Like the '40s cartoons - kids liked them, but they were really for the adults! (Some of them, in particular)

I saw "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" when I was about 7 or 8, so it must have been the late Sixties. A classmate of mine got really scared by this movie, but it didn't really bother me. (I was more bothered by the short subject, in which an American Indian boy escapes some bullies by turning into an eagle.)

Still, when I had kids of my own, I didn't really rush to get the video of "Snow White" for them. Eventually they watched it, but it never became one of their favorites. They loved "Fantasia," which has dinosaurs battling to the death and Chernabog burning damned souls. "Bambi" was a staple for a while, and despite all the talk about how traumatic the death of Bambi's mother is, it didn't seem to bother them (or me when I was a kid.)

Disney films strike people different ways. Take the fairly recent "Brother Bear." This one family I knew thought of it as an incredibly sad tragedy. My kids (and I) ignored the plot and focused on the silly moose brothers.

I never seen the short you had talked about Fantasia was my favorite Disney movie the music and the animation back then was pretty good. I remember seeing that when i was in my teens when they rereleased at the theaters. I have the DVD.

I think that every kid is completely different, but more often than not today's kids are desensitized by the violence in video games, etc... and are less likely to be bothered by it. My son is 8 and doesn't flinch at stuff like that. He often laughs at things that I think might scare him. When I ask him why he's laughing he tells me, "Dad, it's only a movie, it's not real." I think seeing a lot of these movies in the comfort of your own home instead of the darkness of a theatre (as many of us did)makes them less scary too.

To tell you the truth, I never thought Snow White was really all that great. I think its importance in film history has been blown all out of proportion. Just because it was the first feature-length animated movie doesn't mean it's a GREAT movie.

I don't know how old I was when I first watched it, but it definitely scared the living daylights out of me. So I think it would definitely be up to the parent to try to determine whether or not their young children might be old enough to watch movies like this or Bambi, which can also be quite shocking.

I agree I never cared for Snow White either. A really good Disney Movie I thought was Fantasia. I love that movie, my husband got me the DVD for mother's day a few years ago. I try to watch it at least once every two months.

Yeah, Fantasia is totally underrated. The 50th Anniversary edition came out when I was three, and Dad bought it for me. It was one of my favorite movies for quite a few years.

The Fox and the Hound is another underrated one. It's entertaining and also teaches a good lesson about how prejudice can destroy friendships.

A lot of the Grimm Fairy tales are like that, if you ever tracked down the original versions like I did you would see a lot of them including those mothers tell there kids today would make great HORROR films today.

As for Snow White I rate it like any film made in the 30s in that you may not like it. Snow White's storyline is like most films from that time. I would say it is on the same par as many others. But I bought my copy anyway when it came out, because it is worth watching.

I regard Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs as Disney's finest full length cartoon, for one good reason, the villain, the wicked queen and her alter ego, the old crone,are both played by the

same superb actress Lucille LaVerne--the scene where she descends the stairs to her basement

lair where she practices her black magic is a wonder to behold --and then the words;

To turn my queenly raiment into a peddlars cloak - the black of night~

To age my voice - an old hags cackle~

To whiten my hair - a scream of fright~

A blast of wind to fan my hate~

A thunderbolt - to mix it well~

and now begin thy magic spell~ my hands...my hands...

my voice ...my voice ... the next scene is pure magic and considered to be the best drawn scene of any classic cartoon, thanks to the fine talent of Ub. Iwerks....

I think you have to watch this stuff with your kids not avoid it-

they'll see it anyway-better to talk about it-help them understand-otherwise they get notions-

like being a ninja is okay-or war games are fun--lol

I suppose you look under their mattresses too-

mine had a satanic bible under it!

Im surprised you never thought twice about this stuff as a child- i remember washing my fruit more regularly after seeing Snow White, and every ugly old person with a veil became a witch!

thanks a lot mr disney-I think shooting bambi's mom was bad, and the way Pinocchio is treated was very upsetting. I was afraid for him when he got the donkey ears-but the dwarfs lose a housekeeper and Neptune a daughter-in the Little Mermaid-suffering and evil are key elements in Disney-someone must suffer-can you imagine how hot is in that mickey mouse outfit/lol

lifes a beach, Disney is always bitter sweet-just like life

I'll take Max Fleisher cartoons as more important historically-he was way ahead technically.

Betty Boop , Popeye, Superman, I know they're not full lenghth,

but Snow White is too short anyway, I'd watch "destruction incorporated, volcano, or any triple feature Superman over any Disney. The characters look real in movement and the bad guys really look evil like the witch in Snow White, but Fleisher's are richer looking, more detailed, more believable, for the times of course, but I haven't seen better yet.