Sign in to follow this  
cinemaspeak59

The Cameraman (1928)

4 posts in this topic

The Cameraman is Buster Keaton at his finest.  And what a leading lady in Marceline Day.  Her graceful expressions and protective attitude toward Keaton make us root for a happy ending.  I particularly love the way she says "Buster" (making lip reading quite easy) when calling out to him from the crowded swimming pool.  And then again, "Buster",  when she tips him off to a gang war in Chinatown, so he can get valuable newsreel footage, and finally break into the business.

Keaton is shown as a decent man, small in physical stature, bullied and humiliated by giant jerks.   There's a great scene, so funny,   in which Keaton is trying to get into his bathing suit, when a rude, burly guy barges into Buster's cramped dressing room, and the two of them are maneuvering to get changed, as clothes are flying, and poor Buster endures elbows, kicks, punches, and other physical abuse. 

Yet he manages to slip into what looks like a bathing dress.  It does the trick, at least for a little while.  The uproarious swimming pool action looks so inviting, I wish I could have partaken in the fun.  The Cameraman helps close out the Silent Era with a flourish.

• Like 1

Nice to see some love for Marceline Day. I think she's rather underrated (and unfairly so).

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-10-14%2Bat%2B10.15.

Her and Buster Keaton had great chemistry.  She was obviously beautiful in the film, but also good-natured.  She enlivened every scene she was in.

• Like 2

Her and Buster Keaton had great chemistry.  She was obviously beautiful in the film, but also good-natured.  She enlivened every scene she was in.

Yes, the two of them made a very nice pair in the film, it's a shame they didn't do more together.Annex%20-%20Keaton,%20Buster%20(Camerama

• Like 2