MovieMadness

Stupid Science

1,350 posts in this topic

This mockery of a study is over the top stupidity - PC on STEROIDS! What's next, giving birth is unethical? 

There are plenty of people already saying that a lot of births are "unethical", or haven't you read the rants about "welfare queens" popping out kids just for the government check?

By the way, that article was written just to tick people off. I guess it worked. The study they reference would not have been heard of by 99.9% of the populace if it wasn't for articles like that spreading it around more, giving it more attention than it deserves.

This doctor plans to perform a human head transplant this year

Sergio Canavero, a controversial professor and neurosurgeon, wants to perform the first human head transplant in December.

He told German magazine OOOM that the procedure will take place in China. According to the Observer, it will take 80 surgeons, 36 hours and $10 million to execute.

Like a sci-fi tale come to life, Canavero, who’s also the former director of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, claims that people whose brains have been cryogenically frozen could be revived within three years.

“At the moment, I can only disclose that there has been massive progress in medical experiments that would have seemed impossible even as recently as a few months ago,” Canavero told OOOM.

I can already see the commercials for this- "Too lazy to diet? Get the hot body you always wanted!"

Scientists Should Just Be Political

After the March for Science ended, a colleague joked to me: “If they really wanted to be scientific about this, they would have the march again next week.”

The thing is: They are. On Saturday, the March for Climate, Jobs, and Justice will take over downtown Washington, D.C., and dozens of other cities around the country. Unlike the March for Science, it is forthrightly political. It understands itself as part of the broad and intersectional left. It has even divided the route of the march into sections for different aspects of the progressive coalition: one area for labor, another for racial justice groups, another for religious leaders.

This may make some scientists bristle: Should science alloy itself with other members of a political constituency? Their concerns are understandable but misguided. I suspect that in the longterm, it’s the confidently political—confidently partisan—climate marchers who will have the right approach. If you’re going to do something political, like a march, it should be fully political.

I hope they listen to you and expose themselves for what they are. Anyone who follows their scam knows it's always been political.

Maybe because so many in government deny science that scientists feel they have no choice but to be political.

they've been political since the 1970s with a coming ice age that never occurred so come on. :lol:

they've been political since the 1970s with a coming ice age that never occurred so come on. :lol:

and let me say, ChristineHoard, I was actually quite apolitical into my late teens.

I read the obligatory introductory science books like the How and Why books and actually believed in evolution...

but as I proceeded and started to think my eyes they did start to open.

This doctor plans to perform a human head transplant this year

Sergio Canavero, a controversial professor and neurosurgeon, wants to perform the first human head transplant in December.

He told German magazine OOOM that the procedure will take place in China. According to the Observer, it will take 80 surgeons, 36 hours and $10 million to execute.

Like a sci-fi tale come to life, Canavero, who’s also the former director of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, claims that people whose brains have been cryogenically frozen could be revived within three years.

“At the moment, I can only disclose that there has been massive progress in medical experiments that would have seemed impossible even as recently as a few months ago,” Canavero told OOOM.

I can already see the commercials for this- "Too lazy to diet? Get the hot body you always wanted!"

head.jpg

NASA confirms first flight of Space Launch System will slip to 2019

NASA’s top human spaceflight official says the maiden flight of the Space Launch System, a behemoth booster designed to loft astronauts on expeditions into deep space, will be delayed from November 2018 until some time in 2019, according to a report published by a U.S. government watchdog Thursday.

The delay is not a surprise to observers who closely track progress on NASA’s next-generation human spaceflight program, which has struggled to keep pace with a target launch date in November 2018.

A missed delivery date for the European-made service module set to power NASA’s Orion crew capsule, snags in the welding of parts of the SLS core stage due to low weld strength, and a tornado that struck a production site in New Orleans were some of the major problems identified in a Government Accountability Office report Thursday.

If NASA spent half as much time worrying about space as they do about their global warming scam, they might get somewhere.

Here's What Happens When a Drone Falls On Your Head

You don’t need to know how gravity works to understand that being hit in the head by a falling drone will hurt.

But it turns out that drone crashes aren’t as dangerous to humans as being hit by in the head by steel shrapnel or a wood blocks. At least, that’s according to new research released on Friday by the Federal Aviation Administration along with a group of colleges including University of Alabama, University of Kansas, and Mississippi State University.

Under current FAA rules, businesses are forbidden from flying drones over people unless companies first get government approval. The FAA is currently considering letting companies fly drones above people, but it is evaluating the risks before deciding.

Still, the research indicates that it’s still unsafe to be hit by a drone.

With the drone accidents that have already happened, this one isn't hard to figure out. Only the government would have to "study" it.

NASA confirms first flight of Space Launch System will slip to 2019

NASA’s top human spaceflight official says the maiden flight of the Space Launch System, a behemoth booster designed to loft astronauts on expeditions into deep space, will be delayed from November 2018 until some time in 2019, according to a report published by a U.S. government watchdog Thursday.

The delay is not a surprise to observers who closely track progress on NASA’s next-generation human spaceflight program, which has struggled to keep pace with a target launch date in November 2018.

A missed delivery date for the European-made service module set to power NASA’s Orion crew capsule, snags in the welding of parts of the SLS core stage due to low weld strength, and a tornado that struck a production site in New Orleans were some of the major problems identified in a Government Accountability Office report Thursday.

If NASA spent half as much time worrying about space as they do about their global warming scam, they might get somewhere.

exactly, obama schtootz Gulden really bleeped up nasa.

Here's What Happens When a Drone Falls On Your Head

You don’t need to know how gravity works to understand that being hit in the head by a falling drone will hurt.

But it turns out that drone crashes aren’t as dangerous to humans as being hit by in the head by steel shrapnel or a wood blocks. At least, that’s according to new research released on Friday by the Federal Aviation Administration along with a group of colleges including University of Alabama, University of Kansas, and Mississippi State University.

Under current FAA rules, businesses are forbidden from flying drones over people unless companies first get government approval. The FAA is currently considering letting companies fly drones above people, but it is evaluating the risks before deciding.

Still, the research indicates that it’s still unsafe to be hit by a drone.

With the drone accidents that have already happened, this one isn't hard to figure out. Only the government would have to "study" it.

Some places are taking preventive measures.

drones11n-2-web.jpg

EPA removes climate change information from website

and this reported by CNN nonetheless...lol  Who'dathunkit

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/29/politics/epa-climate-change-website/index.html

Maybe someone there has actually read up on the lack of potential for "human-caused-global-warming" that the Ice Core samples tell us.  The CO2 has a trend of LAGGING the warming of the Earth in historic warming events.  All the plants like it though.

Climate myths: Ice cores show CO2 increases lag behind temperature rises,

disproving the link to global warming

The lag proves that rising CO2 did not cause the initial warming as past ice ages

ended, but it does not in any way contradict the idea that higher CO2 levels cause

warming.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11659-climate-myths-ice-cores-show-co2-increases-lag-behind-temperature-rises-disproving-the-link-to-global-warming/

Climate myths: Ice cores show CO2 increases lag behind temperature rises,

disproving the link to global warming

The lag proves that rising CO2 did not cause the initial warming as past ice ages

ended, but it does not in any way contradict the idea that higher CO2 levels cause

warming.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11659-climate-myths-ice-cores-show-co2-increases-lag-behind-temperature-rises-disproving-the-link-to-global-warming/

It has been thought out but not exactly proven, as there are multiple other factors.  Also a bit far-fetched compared to all the larger natural heat sources (heat vents, underwater volcanos).  The ocean is what has been warming.  Not so much by outside sources as much as from within.  Dead fish washing up on the beaches and so forth.  We have covered this in the Galaxy thread in the past.

In any case it has been struck from their website.  I am not exactly sure what direction they will take it, nor do I really care when it comes down to it.  It's just that when I parse what we have been told, very little actually makes any sense and that's what bothers me the most about it.

I will go with the climate scientists and not some absurd right winger

like MM whose reply is always it's a hoax, it's a money making

scheme. Ridiculous answer.

I will go with the climate scientists and not some absurd right winger

like MM whose reply is always it's a hoax, it's a money making

scheme. Ridiculous answer.

Mob rule, the settled scientists.  Have at it.  It fits since all I have ever seen you contribute here in this thread is call other people you don't agree with "wingnut".  Not constructive.  And don't think for a moment that I am anyway in agreement with MM.  I am really on my own here.  Not a single upvote to him or from him.  So how the hell do you explain that.

Al Gore group demands $15 trillion to fight global warming

A group of executives who want to fight global warming has published a new report calling for countries to spend up to $600 billion a year over the next two decades to boost green energy deployment and energy efficiency equipment.

The Energy Transitions Commission’s (ETC) report claims “additional investments of around $300-$600 billion per annum do not pose a major macroeconomic challenge,” which they say will help the world meet the goals laid out in the Paris agreement.

ETC is made up of energy executives, activist leaders and investment bankers, including former Vice President Al Gore, who would no doubt get a piece of the trillions of dollars they are calling for.
It has always been about money with global warming, here they are demanding $15 Trillion dollars for this scam.

Al Gore group demands $15 trillion to fight global warming

A group of executives who want to fight global warming has published a new report calling for countries to spend up to $600 billion a year over the next two decades to boost green energy deployment and energy efficiency equipment.

The Energy Transitions Commission’s (ETC) report claims “additional investments of around $300-$600 billion per annum do not pose a major macroeconomic challenge,” which they say will help the world meet the goals laid out in the Paris agreement.

ETC is made up of energy executives, activist leaders and investment bankers, including former Vice President Al Gore, who would no doubt get a piece of the trillions of dollars they are calling for.
It has always been about money with global warming, here they are demanding $15 Trillion dollars for this scam.

$15 trillion....coming up, stand by.

956e5ffd018de86dff1580e59b65ba93.gif

Soul-searching scientists struggle to get message across

Vienna (AFP) - "We mortals do not understand you." That's the heartfelt cry from former UN climate chief Christiana Figueres, pleading with scientists to use everyday language to help counter growing public mistrust.

Figueres was giving one explanation of why scientists are struggling to get their message across to a sceptical public at a major conference in Vienna this week.

Delegates made time for soul-searching at the meeting in the Austrian capital, conceding that they bear part of the blame for alienating some people.

Just days after a historic March for Science in Washington, the experts owned up to failures including remoteness and condescension -- and operating in an "echo chamber of likeminded people".

"I think it's the conceitedness, in a way," said Heike Langenberg, chief editor of the journal Nature Geoscience.

"Scientists" flying in on private jets, so worried about global warming. Why don't I believe them?

Mob rule, the settled scientists.  Have at it.  It fits since all I have ever seen you contribute here in this thread is call other people you don't agree with "wingnut".  Not constructive.  And don't think for a moment that I am anyway in agreement with MM.  I am really on my own here.  Not a single upvote to him or from him.  So how the hell do you explain that.

It's hardly mob rule. I wouldn't call it settled science, only the theory that

the great majority of climate scientists agree with at this time. Maybe that

will change in the future, maybe it won't. I call right wing nutjobs wingnuts.

MM is a wingnut, that is clear to me by his posts on this and other threads.

I wouldn't call his constant linking of things that have little to do with global

warming with it constructive, but then one shouldn't expect much in a

constructive nature from a wingnut.

Soul-searching scientists struggle to get message across

Vienna (AFP) - "We mortals do not understand you." That's the heartfelt cry from former UN climate chief Christiana Figueres, pleading with scientists to use everyday language to help counter growing public mistrust.

Figueres was giving one explanation of why scientists are struggling to get their message across to a sceptical public at a major conference in Vienna this week.

Delegates made time for soul-searching at the meeting in the Austrian capital, conceding that they bear part of the blame for alienating some people.

Just days after a historic March for Science in Washington, the experts owned up to failures including remoteness and condescension -- and operating in an "echo chamber of likeminded people".

"I think it's the conceitedness, in a way," said Heike Langenberg, chief editor of the journal Nature Geoscience.

"Scientists" flying in on private jets, so worried about global warming. Why don't I believe them?

Since 93% of scientist (according to Bill Maher) are atheist, it will be a challenge for them to find a soul they seek. :wacko:

Denver Cancels Saturday's Global Warming March After Storm Dumps Foot of Snow

It's all unrelated though.  Really.

cc.jpg?itok=GHUebyzc

This one's just too much...

C-rNRx3XoAA4A4H.jpg

'Man-goat' among winners of spoof Nobel prizes
NEW YORK: A man who lived as a goat in the Alps and a scientist who studied how pants affect the sex drive of rodents are among this year's spoof Nobel prizes.

The 26th edition of the annual Ig Nobel Prizes, which celebrate the silly side of science, were handed out Thursday at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

The prizes aim to "celebrate the unusual, honor the imaginative -- and spur people's interest in science, medicine and technology," organizers said of the event, which featured a traditional onstage paper airplane toss.

The top honor in the reproduction category went to the late Ahmed Shafik from Cairo University, who died in 2007, for his work that showed how the sex lives of rats are affected by the fabric of pants they are fitted with.

The biology prize went jointly to Charles Foster, who lived in the wild several times as animals including a badger, an otter and a bird, and to Thomas Thwaites, who constructed prosthetic legs so he could live three days on all fours and roam the hills with goats.

They definitely need to add a global warming category, there are hundreds of possible winners.

Maher's number is worthless and inaccurate. I still can't believe

that folks are using the freak snowstorm as a rebuttal to global

warming. This argument was ridiculous twenty years ago and

it hasn't gotten any more convincing in the meanwhile. Weather

is not the same as climate. Duh.

The 26th edition of the annual Ig Nobel Prizes, which celebrate the silly side of science, were handed out Thursday at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

The prizes aim to "celebrate the unusual, honor the imaginative -- and spur people's interest in science, medicine and technology," organizers said of the event, which featured a traditional onstage paper airplane toss.

Improbable Research, Inc. created and operates the: "Ig Noble Prizes." Their motto is: " Research that makes people LAUGH and then THINK." Their website presents the cutting edge of research in a wide variety of sciences. http://www.improbable.com/