Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

[i]The Pirate[/i] (1948)

110 posts in this topic

Hi kat! Yes, there are so many great funny moments from The Pirate... I don't think it ever takes itself too seriously. One of my favorite funny moments is when Garland is pretending to not know Macoco is Serafin, and she starts talking badly about his acting. Kelly is so funny when he says he wished he had a review on him while patting himself down. Then, when he finally does get knocked out, she picks him up and says something a little positive about his acting, and he comes to life. ;)

> Saw for first time and was delighted by it. Kelly in

> probably the best physical shape of his life, at his

> peak, and that's saying something. He seems to be

> highly enjoying himself in the role(s). One of his

> best M.G.M. musicals in my opinion. Don't understand

> why the public didn't go for it at the time; didn't

> they get parody?

I have no idea why people did not like this movie when it was first released, perhaps it was too clever? Too progressive? Gene Kelly was a bit psychotic looking, with the mustache and longer hair :) But I love it... lol. None the less, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The more people that see it the larger the following it generates. Honestly, I don't see how you can be a fan of Gene or Judy and not enjoy this one. IMHO ;)

I agree. There was so much to enjoy in this film. It was progressive in several

ways, and your post brings up many salient points...

I think Vincente Minnelli wasn't afraid to push the envelope a little bit, and I'm certainly glad he didn't, without him we wouldn't have these kind of daring movies that were ahead of their time in the 40's but that we can now appreciate so much better! B-)

Yes, they were probably expecting the blue collar Gene, with tee shirt and jeans.

Who knew how good he could look with darkened skin and a mustache? And with such gleeful panache in a non-American setting?

All I can say is thank God for Vincente Minnelli. I believe he gets short shrift from some movie "fans" who dismiss him as superficial; but he was a great stylist and also had great depth as well. "The Clock" was sensitive and non-musical, and even "Meet Me In St. Louis" was poignant and sentimental; we really cared about that family.

A. Tommy is not my favorite movie, Singing in the rain is.

B. The pirate was extreme in a different way than tommy was.

C. When I said that the movie was extreme, i didn't entirley insult it. Some extreme movies in this way are good.

> All I can say is thank God for Vincente Minnelli. I

> believe he gets short shrift from some movie "fans"

> who dismiss him as superficial; but he was a great

> stylist and also had great depth as well. "The

> Clock" was sensitive and non-musical, and even "Meet

> Me In St. Louis" was poignant and sentimental; we

> really cared about that family.

Absolutely, he probably would have liked to push the envelope much more often in his movies but unfortunately at the end of the day he was a director working in the studio system (at least until the 50's) and after that he was a hired hand, so I don't know that he ever enjoyed as much freedom as he would have liked as a director. :(

No you weren't; you were making fun of other posters, as usual

No I wasn't, what? Naturally, that comment makes no sense. Who's even talking to you, leech?

Hey fellas, I've never fought on these forums and I don't intend to now. So if you are going to go through the whole "troll" phenomenon, take it else where.

I appreciate your opinions on the flick, and if you don't like it say so and then defend your opinion. Nothing wrong with that, but must we resort to name calling? I mean where does it get us? 'Scope and Spencer, you've always respected my threads and I have never had a problem from you. I hope the both of you will let it lie and keep to the intended subject matter. Thanks.

bhf1940

Wonderful, wonderful. And hahaha, Walter Slezak chuckling in the background, with that Macoco makeup.

I think Gene Kelly could wear a paper bag over his head, and I'd still say he was sexy.