Sign in to follow this  
rayban

"Detour"

4 posts in this topic

This short, short film is a masterpiece of the blackest hue.  Not quite a film noir, it is probably in its' own category. But both Tom Neal and Ann Savage own this film.  The final impact of the film is totally overwhelming.  But, it is such a shame, the film is so poorly produced and so badly photographed.  With all the advances in film technology, couldn't it be rendered in a brighter hue?    

• Like 1

This short, short film is a masterpiece of the blackest hue.  Not quite a film noir, it is probably in its' own category. But both Tom Neal and Ann Savage own this film.  The final impact of the film is totally overwhelming.  But, it is such a shame, the film is so poorly produced and so badly photographed.  With all the advances in film technology, couldn't it be rendered in a brighter hue?    

I think you are probably looking at a poor print. It's in the public domain and a lot of crummy copies float around. Sometimes TCM airs the restored print, which is also on Amazon Prime. When you see it in all its pristine glory, the way audiences first saw it on screens in the mid-40s, you can truly appreciate what Ulmer accomplished on a shoestring budget.

• Like 1

Jarrod, while I was watching this film, I became very interested in Tom Neal.

He was a very "masculine" kind of guy who also registered as the perfect victim, too.

He would've made a great "love object".

Was he ever used as a "love object"? 

Jarrod, while I was watching this film, I became very interested in Tom Neal.

He was a very "masculine" kind of guy who also registered as the perfect victim, too.

He would've made a great "love object".

Was he ever used as a "love object"? 

Yes, in a very good poverty row film called CLUB HAVANA. It was an obvious rip-off (or should we say homage) to GRAND HOTEL. Edgar Ulmer directed him again, and the leading lady was Margaret Lindsay. There's a lot of improvisation and Ulmer's signature style is all over it. But a satisfying picture in which Tom Neal plays a more romantic character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Havana

• Like 1