Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

80 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread to discuss any new DVD or Blu-ray purchases you may have made. I know we had a thread like this in the General section, but things move so quickly over there (even during this lull in posting) that the thread disappears and it becomes a project trying to track it down. I'm not sure who started that thread (speedracer?) but I hope they don't take offense at me starting another, similar thread in this section.

I recently went Criterion crazy. I bought Red Beard (1965) and The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) in the last couple of weeks, and then Criterion had a website flash sale this week, and I ended up ordering 6 more! They were Days of Heaven (1978), Harakiri (1962), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), and Hunger (2008) on Blu-ray, as well as Wise Blood (1979) and Weekend (1967) on DVD. I also got Woody Allen's newest, Cafe Society (2016) through Amazon.

• Like 1

I still haven't seen TWO-LANE BLACKTOP. I'm not a fan of DAYS OF HEAVEN-- the cinematography is great but overtakes the story; it's like a cup of coffee that is 70% cream and sugar.

WISE BLOOD is a fine example of the work Huston was producing at the tail end of his career, though his classy swan song THE DEAD is my personal favorite of his from those years.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of DAYS OF HEAVEN-- the cinematography is great but overtakes the story; it's like a cup of coffee that is 70% creamer and sugar.

Most of Terence Malick's films are like that. The story isn't just secondary, it's almost inconsequential. I look at his films as visual poetry, and not traditional, plot-driven movies. They aren't for everyone, or even a lot of people, but to those of us who like them, they can be real works of art.

Most of Terence Malick's films are like that. The story isn't just secondary, it's almost inconsequential. I look at his films as visual poetry, and not traditional, plot-driven movies. They aren't for everyone, or even a lot of people, but to those of us who like them, they can be real works of art.

Yes, I appreciate his films from an aesthetic standpoint. But I approach paintings in museums that way too. I think since film is a synthesis of different art forms, it has to succeed in more than just the visual area. His films seem lopsided (to me) because the other elements like sound design, narrative and enactment suffer with the overemphasis on the visual. By comparison, when I look at an Ang Lee picture or a James Ivory picture, where the visuals are also very strong, I don't feel it comes at the expense of these other key areas.

I didn't start that original thread Lawrence, don't worry about stepping on any toes :-)

I like to buy my movies used if I can find them, but I'll get new if I find a really good deal or if used isn't available.  There are a bunch of Criterion films I want but I'm waiting until next month's Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble--I may have to add them to my Christmas list, lol. 

While I was on a weekend trip with my husband last week, I popped into a couple used DVD stores and found a few good buys--I even crossed a few things off my running list of movies I'm looking out for!

This is what I found:

-The Country Girl

-Angels With Dirty Faces

-Boom Town

-TCM Greatest Classic Films: That's Entertainment Collection (B&N is/was having a 50% off classics sale!)

-I Love Lucy Superstar Special: L.A. At Last! & Lucy and Superman

-The Letter (1940)

-All This, and Heaven Too

-Thoroughly Modern Millie

• Like 2

When I purchase films on disc (though I am doing less of that and instead buying the streaming versions), I usually focus on films that do not air on TCM or don't stay on YouTube because of copyright infringements. And if I am buying classic television, it's the stuff does not turn up in syndication very often.

Mostly this means I tend to buy Universal product. Like a 10-film collection of W.C. Fields comedies (with his films from Paramount & Universal); a 10-film collection of classic 50s westerns; and season 4 of Simon & Simon. These are recent purchases.

I also focus on Republic films that have been released on disc thru Paramount's subsidiary Olive. Again, these are films that do not get run on TCM.

I would never buy a Bette Davis film or a Myrna Loy film-- not because I don't enjoy them, but because they're broadcast so frequently (excessively?) on TCM and I have either recorded them in the past or can quickly record them again.

There are a lot of Criterion films out (or coming out) that I would like to procure:

Ace in the Hole

All That Heaven Allows

Cat People

City Lights

Design For Living

The Gold Rush

His Girl Friday (coming out in January)

The Kid

The Lady Eve

Sweet Smell of Success

There are some movies that are now Criterion releases that I already own the regular, run of the mill release.  I'd have to see if the Criterion version offers anything new or different that would make buying a second copy worthwhile.  I hate having duplicate movies in my collection--it feels like a waste of money unless the new version offers something different or new. 

I love buying my favorite TV shows on DVD or at the very least, watch them on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon (wherever it may be available) because the syndicated versions are edited for time.  I would much rather see complete, unedited episodes of my shows.  When I got my DVDs of I Love Lucy for the first time, probably a decade or so ago, it opened my eyes to how much I was missing by having only seen the Nick at Nite versions for the last ten years or so.  There was so much content I was missing.  Now, after having seen the DVDs so many times, if I happen to catch an episode of I Love Lucy in syndication on DVD, the amount of material I'm missing is unbearable.  I cannot watch I Love Lucy in syndication. 

I have a huge list of "wants" on the Warner Archive MOD website as well.  Hopefully Christmas will prove lucrative. 

• Like 2

There are a lot of Criterion films out (or coming out) that I would like to procure:

Ace in the Hole

Cat People

City Lights

His Girl Friday (coming out in January)

I have the City Lights DVD and the Ace In the Hole Blu-Ray. They are both excellent. I'm considering the Cat People disc, as well. That His Girl Friday release sounds good since it also includes the remaster of the 1931 version of The Front Page as a bonus.

I've noticed a new development in the presentation of classic TV on modern television. Now not only are they cutting content to fit in more commercial time, they are also now cropping the images to make them fill widescreen TV's, or nearly so. I noticed a few weeks ago that the black bars on the sides of the image on MeTV while showing Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, etc, were much smaller than normal. I realized that they are zooming the image in to try and make it fill the modern 16:9 TV screens more. It isn't a complete zoom-in yet, but the black bars are about half the width they should be if they were showing the original full 4:3 image. I would imagine that it won't be too long before they zoom it in all of the way.

• Like 1

I have the City Lights DVD and the Ace In the Hole Blu-Ray. They are both excellent. I'm considering the Cat People disc, as well. That His Girl Friday release sounds good since it also includes the remaster of the 1931 version of The Front Page as a bonus.

I've noticed a new development in the presentation of classic TV on modern television. Now not only are they cutting content to fit in more commercial time, they are also now cropping the images to make them fill widescreen TV's, or nearly so. I noticed a few weeks ago that the black bars on the sides of the image on MeTV while showing Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, etc, were much smaller than normal. I realized that they are zooming the image in to try and make it fill the modern 16:9 TV screens more. It isn't a complete zoom-in yet, but the black bars are about half the width they should be if they were showing the original full 4:3 image. I would imagine that it won't be too long before they zoom it in all of the way.

I've recently purchased several Classic Movie Collections which include: Universals Classic Monster's, Charlie Chan vol 1-5 (already had vol 6) which is over 35 CC movies, also,The Lathe of Heaven and The Ultimate Three Stooges Collection (I know, I know, now you know who I am, a Stooges fan).

Anyone else recently purchase a favorite classic or two? My favorite of the above is The Lathe of Heaven as I saw this when it came out on Public TV when I lived near Chicago in the late 70's on WTTW. I also just purchased the book last week and read it in less than two days.

OBJ

Thanks for the link LawrenceA

• Like 1

I came across one of my favorite films: Lost Horizon (1937) at amazon.co.uk. as a 2014 restoration blu-ray. I've watched the 1999 DVD version many times and the newer restoration is far better. Virtually no scratches or dust and the scene where Robert Conway meets the High Lama for the first time is fully intact now. I posted a similar message in a different board but i think this one is more appropriate. I'm not in the habit of double posting. This my 2nd post on TCM so please forgive me this one time.

• Like 1

Christmas came early for me today as I got a large shipment of movies in the mail.

I got the Criterion release of Eraserhead, the one David Lynch film that I didn't have a copy of. This edition also includes a number of his short films.

Also from Criterion, I got several upgrades of some more recent films: The Thin Red Line and The New World from Terence Malick, and The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic from Wes Anderson, all on Blu-Ray. 

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream, the 2007 documentary about the band from Peter Bogdanovich.

Da Sweet Blood of Jesus, a 2014 remake of the cult 70's film Ganja & Hess, directed by Spike Lee.

The Blu-Ray of Dolemite, the ridiculous, so-bad-it's-good blaxploitation film starring Rudy Ray Moore.

And finally, The Beast of Yucca Flats on DVD, because every collection needs it.

I hit up my two branches of one of my favorite used movie/music stores in the Portland area.  

These are the treasures I came away with:

1. TCM Spotlight Esther Williams Vol 1.  I am not even a huge fan of Esther Williams.  I even said as much in August when she had her SUTS day.  For whatever reason though, I like watching her aqua musicals.  I like the spectacle behind them.  I am not even a fan of Busby Berkeley's choreography, but I find that I prefer his choreography when it is in water! Anyway, I've found myself really enjoying Williams' films, she also seems to have an interesting array of co-stars as well.  This collection came with Easy to Wed (which is a musical remake of Libeled Lady.  Not the best remake, but it does have Lucy in Jean Harlow's part, and she's the best part of the film), Bathing Beauty, On an Island With You, Neptune's Daughter and Dangerous When Wet.  I especially liked Neptune's Daughter.  This film introduced the ultimate creeper Christmas song (one of my favorites I might add), "Baby It's Cold Outside."  In addition to Williams, this film also features Betty Garrett, Red Skelton, Ricardo Montalban, Mike "Buttermilk" Mazurki, and Xavier Cugat! 

2. A Yank in the R.A.F.  This WWII war film features Tyrone Power and Betty Grable.  I liked this film well enough and I'm a big fan of Grable. 

3. Jailhouse Rock.  I saw this Elvis film awhile back and I really liked it.  

4. Easter Parade 2-Disc.  I already had a copy of this film, but it was the 1-disc version.  The 2-disc version comes with the PBS Documentary, American Masters Judy Garland: By Myself.  I really wanted to see this documentary.  Every time it airs on PBS, it's always interrupted by the dumb telethon which makes it hard to watch.  I am happy to say that this documentary was worth the $7 I spent on this DVD set.

5. It's Always Fair Weather.  This isn't even one of my favorite Gene Kelly films, in fact, I find it kind of depressing.  With that said, I really like his roller skating number which is worth the $5 I spent on the DVD.

6. Kiss Me Kate.  I really like Ann Miller and despite the presence of the annoying Kathryn Grayson, I liked this movie. 

7. Finding Dory.  Okay, I didn't buy this film used, but I picked it up the other day at Best Buy for 50% off the price and on Blu-Ray.  The little short film, Piper, is adorable and worth the price of the film alone.  But Finding Dory was excellent and I'm happy to own it. 

• Like 1

OK, not really a list of buys but want to buys. I am trying to find these six recent releases from the Universal Vault. The only place that has them is Amazon who wants the full whopping price of 19.98 for them. They are:

A Woman's Vengeance    
Abandoned     
Smooth As Silk     
Sleeping City     
Another Part of the Forest    
Sometimes a Great Notion   

I could get some good deals on the not so new Universal Vault releases at Deep Discount on Wednesday, but they do not carry the newer releases at their site. Any help would be appreciated.

I wish I could help, calvinnme. The Universal Vault titles don't seem to go on sale anywhere near as often as the WB Archive titles. Because of that, I think I've only ever bought one or two of them.

Well my basement flooded and wiped out the bottom shelves of my movie collection. Based on the condition of my DVDs, I may have a lot of "recent buys" in the future :(

Well my basement flooded and wiped out the bottom shelves of my movie collection. Based on the condition of my DVDs, I may have a lot of "recent buys" in the future :(

Oh no! That's horrible. I'm guessing it was a plumbing problem, or was it weather related? The house wasn't too damaged,was it? 

:(

Oh no! That's horrible. I'm guessing it was a plumbing problem, or was it weather related? The house wasn't too damaged,was it? 

:(

We're thinking that the basement sump pump failed. There was about 6-8" of water. There was a ton of rain this week. It was fine Wednesday and I discovered it yesterday, so I'm guessing it happened Thursday when I was out of town. I'm hoping that insurance will cover the cost to have this cleaned up and to replace our belongings. My husband's giant bass amp was down there. His guitar effects pedal I think is toast. It was fully submerged under water.

To answer my own question from the other day, Deep Discount has their Universal Vaults marked down to about 14.40 plus today it is 15% off all orders. That brought the Universal Vault DVDs down to about 12.20 each. Not bad considering amazon wants 16-20 bucks for all of them. Amazon still is the only one with the newest Universal Vault releases and has them marked up high, but I can wait.

• Like 1

I got a few more DVD's/Blu Rays recently. The Men (1950), Sergeant York (1941), and 1900 (1976) all on DVD from the TCM store. I also got the Criterion Blu Rays of Paths of Glory and Rushmore.

Yay, me!  B)

I just made my first two purchases to replace what I already owned and were lost in the great flood of 2016. 

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 cartoon w/ Boris Karloff)

Frosty the Snowman (1969 cartoon w/ Jimmy Durante)

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I also got the Criterion Blu Ray of The Asphalt Jungle that was just released, too.

847_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• Like 1

I got a few movies as Christmas gifts this year. My young (19 yr old) nephew got me the Criterion blu ray of On the Waterfront. He also gave me a box of superhero cartoon movies from the past few years. I don't watch a lot of animated films, but since they're here, I'll give them a shot. I also got a few newer horror movies that I haven't seen: The Wailing from Korea, and Don't Breathe.

I also got a few gift cards for Amazon, which I used to upgrade several movies from bare-bones DVDs to Blu Ray: Jaws, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, You Can't Take It With You, The Great Escape, The Bridge On the River Kwai, The Shawshank Redemption,  and The Best Years of Our Lives.

Although they aren't DVDs/Blu rays, I'll also mention that I got a few movie-related books: both volumes of the recent Frank Sinatra biographies, The Voice and The Chairman, a book on European horror movies,  and a Robert Ryan biography.

• Like 1

I've started replacing movies that I already owned.  I purchased these movies last week (the movie store was having a buy 2 used, get 1 for $1, and I have a 10% off discount card); then I got some other movies at one of my other used movie haunts; and I got some others as gifts (movies that I didn't actually already have!)

Movies purchased to replace ruined ones I already had:

-The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season 2 DVD

-The Thin Man Goes Home

-Song of the Thin Man

(I owned all 6 of the 'Thin Man' films separately, but I decided that I would purchase the TCM Thin Man collection which has the first four films and then I got the last two separately)

-Three Little Words

-Xanadu (don't judge me, I love this movie)

-That Touch of Mink

-West Side Story

-Summer Stock

-What a Way to Go!

-Viva Las Vegas

-A Summer Place

-There's No Business Like Show Business

-Suspicion

-Cinderella (1950 Disney cartoon)

-TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Barbara Stanwyck

-TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Astaire & Rogers Vol 1

-Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes IV, V, VI)

-The Reluctant Debutante

-Sabrina

-Roman Holiday

-My Man Godfrey

-A Charlie Brown Christmas

Then I actually managed to get a couple things that I didn't already have! 

-City Lights

-Frank Sinatra Golden Years Collection (this does replace The Tender Trap and Some Came Running, which I already had, but I gained 3 new movies!)

-Tammy Trilogy (Tammy and the Bachelor; Tammy Tell Me True; Tammy and the Doctor)

-A Letter to Three Wives

In honor of Debbie Reynolds, I got:

Susan Slept Here

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

The Gazebo

Christmas Gifts

Mara Maru

Presenting Lily Mars

The Lady Eve

I have a bunch of gift cards and hopefully an insurance settlement coming, so I look forward to getting new movies.

I do want to give a shout-out to Valley of the Dolls, the true survivor and hero of The Great Basement Flood of 2016.  Despite being right in the center of the disaster, it re-emerged, unscathed.  Its shelf-neighbors were not as lucky.  I attribute Valley of the Dolls' heroism to the fact that it was still wrapped in cellophane. 

• Like 2

I just recently bought a 3 pack of Universal movies from the 1950's and 60's, Spartacus, Touch of Evil, and Harvey. They're oddly placed together due to their varied genres but I thought it was a good purchase.

• Like 1

My birthday's tomorrow, so I got myself a gift last week: The Apu Trilogy on Blu-Ray from Criterion. I know getting yourself a gift is bad form, but when everyone else you know is dead or in another state I don't feel bad getting myself one:D

• Like 3