Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

61 posts in this topic

My birthday's tomorrow, so I got myself a gift last week: The Apu Trilogy on Blu-Ray from Criterion. I know getting yourself a gift is bad form, but when everyone else you know is dead or in another state I don't feel bad getting myself one:D

Who said it's bad form?! I always buy myself gifts on my birthday. Heck I buy myself gifts when I'm supposed to buying gifts for others.

• Like 1

My birthday's tomorrow, so I got myself a gift last week: The Apu Trilogy on Blu-Ray from Criterion. I know getting yourself a gift is bad form, but when everyone else you know is dead or in another state I don't feel bad getting myself one:D

Who said it's bad form?! I always buy myself gifts on my birthday. Heck I buy myself gifts when I'm supposed to buying gifts for others.

I agree with speedracer.

It's good to buy gifts for yourself. You'll be sure to get something that you like.  

You made an excellent choice, Lawrence.

I love THE APU TRILOGY, especially PATHER PANCHALI.

• Like 3

Have you ever been at the point where you want to buy something, but you can't decide if you really want to buy it, but know that if you were in an actual store, you'd buy it with no qualms? 

There are a few films I want to buy right now on Amazon and the thing is is that they're films I already owned but were damaged in "The Great Flood of 2016." 

::sigh::

Have you ever been at the point where you want to buy something, but you can't decide if you really want to buy it, but know that if you were in an actual store, you'd buy it with no qualms? 

There are a few films I want to buy right now on Amazon and the thing is is that they're films I already owned but were damaged in "The Great Flood of 2016." 

::sigh::

I can totally relate.

I put many things in my Amazon cart "to buy later." 

My last couple of homevideo purchases were not DVD's, but I don't see any reason to create another section for 'Recent Used VHS Buys'.  Besides, a couple of my recent purchases are of movies not on DVD anyway. 

Purchase #1:  Summer Camp (1979) [R]  Released in 1982 by MEDIA Home Entertainment in a box with a flap.  I thought my copy of this movie went mouldy so I snagged another one a few days ago.  Turns out I was wrong and my 1st tape is still ok.  Alreet then . . . so I've got a spare of "Summer Camp".  I've never seen a legal DVD release of this film. 

Purchase #2:  Cartier Affair, The (1984-Tvm)  Joan Collins, David Hasselhoff, Telly Savalas, Ed Lauter.  On 'Karl-Lorimar Video'.  Nice old heavy tape.  I have a number of made-for-Tv movies on the Karl-Lorimar label, but I'd never seen this one before.  The temptation was too great for me to pass it up.  So I bought it.  There's still more TVM's I want to get my greedy lil' hands on from 'Karl-Lorimar Video', but I'm pleased as punch to have added "The Cartier Affair" to my video stash.   

• Like 1

What I've bought this year, so far:

Working Girl (Blu)

Dreamscape (Blu)

The Fireball

The Accused

Life Stinks (Blu)

An American Tragedy

1977 World Series

Hitchcock (Blu)

Sing Street (Blu)

The Thomas Crown Affair (Blu)

The Vikings (Blu)

On Golden Pond (Blu)

Andy Hardy Volumes 1 & 2

It Ain't Hay

Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema (Blu)

The Color of Money (Blu)

The Dangerous Years

Meatballs (Blu)

Her (Blu)

The Hitcher

The Italian Job

No Way to Treat a Lady

The Little Rascals Collector's Edition

Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men (Blu)

The Secret of NIMH (Blu)

Sophia Loren: Award Collection (Blu)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu)

The Omen Collection (Blu)

The War of the Roses (Blu)

The Three Stooges - Rare Treasures

Randolph Scott Western Collection (TCM)

Children of Divorce (Blu)

The Love Boat, Season 2, Volume 2

Mork & Mindy Complete Series

The Brady Bunch Complete Series

Bob Hope MGM Movie Legends Collection

Abbott & Costello in Hollywood/Lost in a Harem

A Fish Called Wanda (Blu)

The Tingler

Classic Horror 4-Movie Pack (The Mad Magician/The Man Who Turned to Stone/The Terror of the Tongs/Five)

Experiment in Terror

Universal Hollywood Icons Collection: Marlene Dietrich

Fox Cinema Archives (Scudda-Hoo, Scudda-Hay/April Love/The Cowboy and the Blonde/Maryland)

Sci-Fi Triple Feature (Logan's Run/The Omega Man/Soylent Green) (Blu)

Fox Cinema Archives (The Pleasure Seekers/Three Little Girls in Blue/The Shocking Miss Pilgrim)

The Amitville Horror Collection (Blu)

Vincent Price Collection, Volume 2 (Blu)

I Saw What You Did (Blu)

Motel Hell (Blu)

Young Guns (Blu)

Star Trek 50th Anniversary TV and Movie Collection (Blu)

Shampoo

• Like 1

What I've bought this year, so far:

Dreamscape (Blu)

The Vikings (Blu)

If you don't mind me asking, is that the Shout Factory Dreamscape release? How's the quality? The same question about The Vikings (although I know that's not Shout Factory). I have both films on DVD, but have been considering the Blu ray upgrade.

If you don't mind me asking, is that the Shout Factory Dreamscape release? How's the quality?

It's the Shout Factory issue.  I haven't watched it yet, but here's a review from DVD Beaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_74/dreamscape_blu-ray.htm

The same question about The Vikings (although I know that's not Shout Factory). I have both films on DVD, but have been considering the Blu ray upgrade.

I have watched The Vikings.  I never saw the film before.  Very beautiful-looking film.  I thought the image was pretty good.  The transfer shows some grain.  Where the lighting is best, the image is best.  There are some soft focus stretches in the film that soften the image.  Also, I have a soft-image Sony Bravia, which is something I prefer, particularly with classic film.

These are iPhone pics, so you know there is degradation:

vikings12_zpscnakdizc.jpg

vikings11_zpst2y8wx2u.jpg

vikings10_zps1ksdnyaw.jpg

vikings9_zpsbykzjqgv.jpg

vikings3_zpssaz7krpu.jpg

• Like 1

I received in the mails yesterday 2 more movies related to summer camp:

1) G.O.R.P. (1980)  I've never seen it before.  It's on HBO/Cannon Video.  A mid-80s video release.  When I saw the listing on eBay last week it was a tape-only sale.  GORP is not on DVD and the other VHS release was on some El Cheapo label like VIDEO TREASURES (Ugh!  Remember those horribly cheap tapes from the '90s?  95% of them were in LP or EP mode).      

2) STUCKEY'S LAST STAND (1980) [PG].  On LIGHTNING VIDEO, a 1985 release.  Not on DVD.  In a cut box because that was the cheapest way I could find it!  It was $19.95 on eBay.  There's a couple of sellers on Amazon that have it for $59.99.  Too high!   

I already have plenty of slasher movies that take place at summer camp and I've been wanting to round up more comedy-oriented Camp Flix for my video collection.   

The most amateurish summer camp flick I've ever seen is the 1984 Canadian movie ODDBALLS.  The only good thing in it is comedian Foster Brooks as the camp's owner.  He's pretty good.  Everything -- and I mean everything -- else about the movie is amateur night.  

→ I don't have high standards for these kind of movies, but even my low-rent standards were compromised by how dopey this was.  Directed by Miklos Lente.  It's not on DVD, either, and the world is a more betterer place for it.  Jeez what a dumb movie.  View at own risk!  I had a nice VHS of this on "Lightning Video" and gave it away.  

---------------------------------

ALSO:  I noted below someone recently bought a Blu-Ray release of MEATBALLS (1979).  I went in the opposite direction.  Until approx. 3 years ago I'd never seen "Meatballs".  I never rented it back in the day when I used to frequent video stores looking for take-home rental goodies.  Anyway, I got it in my head I wanted to find the 1st video release of "Meatballs" and watch the movie that way.  I figured out that PARAMOUNT first put it out in 1980 with the 'gatefold carton'-type box and I was able to find a couple of them on eBay.  Neither tape was expensive and both tapes are like bricks.  Drop them from a 10-story building on to someone's head and you'll give them something painful to remember!  The tape I played look near-new despite it being over 30 years old at the time.  I reckon it never rented much back when it was perched on rental store shelves.  The videocassette still has its factory-applied oval-shaped 'Scotch'-brand sticker on the tape window.  Cool.  :) 

The thing is:  You can buy MEATBALLS on Blu-Ray and DVD.  You can also find it on various other later-release VHS labels like Video Treasures (gag!) and HBO Video.  And 1 other label, too, I believe.  (Can't remember that last label offhand, though).  ♦I thought I could have my video cake and eat it, too.♦  I wanted to find a collectible video goodie that still played well.  The movie was only a year old when Paramount released it so the tape contains a straight transfer of a film print that was still a new movie.  Worked well.  

I did the same thing about 5 years ago with the 1982 slasher film FRIDAY THE 13th, Part 3.  The only drawback is the tape is obviously not in W/S and the movie is a widescreen feature.  But I did manage to find the 1st release by Paramount with the numerals on the label 'III' instead of the number '3'.  A friend of mine mentioned that's how I could tell the 1st-release videocassette from the later ones as the video box remained unchanged when Paramount issued it again with the '3' on the cassette label.  I liked the challenge of finding it.  The one I did find had an awful box . . . but it contained the first-issue tape.  I got a bit lucky, yet it was an inexpensive chance I took on a $2 tape with an 'Acceptable' box.  My analytical mind had concluded if the box was a well-worn 'Rental' release the chances were pretty good it contained a 1st-release tape with the 'III' label.  And for $2 + shipping it was worth a 'Buy'.  I've played the tape 4 or 5 times since it came in to my possession.  Plays like a champ.  No doubt it hadn't been used for years before I got it.                     

• Like 1

I upgraded my Wolf Man Legacy set and Frankenstein Legacy set to Blu Ray. So now I have:

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Werewolf of London (1935)

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1939)

The Wolf Man (1941)

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

House of Frankenstein (1944)

House of Dracula (1945)

She-Wolf of London (1946)

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

All on Blu Ray!

I also put the Dracula and Mummy sets on pre-order.

I upgraded my Wolf Man Legacy set and Frankenstein Legacy set to Blu Ray. So now I have:

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Werewolf of London (1935)

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1939)

The Wolf Man (1941)

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

House of Frankenstein (1944)

House of Dracula (1945)

She-Wolf of London (1946)

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

All on Blu Ray!

I also put the Dracula and Mummy sets on pre-order.

I may do the same.  The B side of two of my double-sided dvd discs never worked no matter which player I tried them on.  I net to the library and took out the same films and had the exact same problem with their copy too.  I've had that problem with several double-sided discs where you have to flip them over like an old '45 to get the second movie.

But I did get the Frankenstein Dracula and Wolfman collector's set complete with the statues for the bargain price of $35.

I may do the same.  The B side of two of my double-sided dvd discs never worked no matter which player I tried them on.  I net to the library and took out the same films and had the exact same problem with their copy too.  I've had that problem with several double-sided discs where you have to flip them over like an old '45 to get the second movie.

But I did get the Frankenstein Dracula and Wolfman collector's set complete with the statues for the bargain price of $35.

I have read that a lot of people had similar problems with the original Legacy sets. I have the Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man, Mummy, and Creature from the Black Lagoon sets, although I never got the Invisible Man set, only the original film by itself. I didn't have trouble with any of the films playing (and I watched them all several times) but the main disc in the Wolf Man set had several cracks around the center ring. It still played fine, but some fragments were starting to break off, and I knew the disc wouldn't last much longer.

I've been keen on upgrading more of my movies to Blu Ray since I had to get a new TV for my movie room. The old 44 inch went out the first week of January, and I replaced it with a 60 inch. With the increased size, the shortcomings of many DVD's are more evident with a lot of digital noise.

In the past couple months, I've replaced a lot of damaged items and gotten new items:

Ship Ahoy

Alice Adams

The Doris Day & Rock Hudson Comedy Collection (Replacement)

The Devil and Miss Jones (Blu-Ray)

Silver River

From Up on Poppy Hill (Replacement)

The Lucy Show: Complete Series (Replacement)

Thoroughly Modern Millie (Replacement)

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Complete Series (Replacement) (Blu-Ray)

The Dick Van Dyke Show Complete Series (Blu Ray)

The Mary Tyler Moore Show Complete Series (Except Season 7, these were replacements)

Errol Flynn Westerns Collection (Replacement)

TCM Greatest Classic Gangsters: Edward G. Robinson (Replacement)

TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Bette Davis (Replacement)

TCM Spotlight: Errol Flynn Adventures (Replacement)

The Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol 1 (Replacement)

TCM Spotlight: Doris Day Collection

Marilyn Monroe Special Anniversary Collection (Replacement)

TCM Greatest Classic Gangsters: Humphrey Bogart (Replacement)

Susan Slept Here

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

Frank Sinatra: The Golden Years Collection

The Gazebo

His Girl Friday Criterion (Blu-Ray)

Gaslight

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing

The Rat Pack Collection (Replacement)

Roman Holiday (Replacement)

Sabrina (Replacement)

And so many more.  Thank goodness for insurance money that will comp me for some of these purchases! 

I bought a few more tapes that arrived Saturday: 

Sole Survivor (1985) on Vestron Video (on the cheap!)

C.O.D. (1981) on Vestron Video (a Chuck Vincent film; not on DVD).

Bottom Line, The (1976-French)  on Astral Video, my favorite label.  It's Canadian.  Dubbed into English.  This movie is probably on DVD in France under its original French title.      

ALSO, how did all of those discs get damaged, O speedracer?  That's a lot of damaged discs that needed replacing.    

I liked that one.

C.O.D. (1981) on Vestron Video (a Chuck Vincent film; not on DVD).

Bottom Line, The (1976-French)  on Astral Video, my favorite label.  It's Canadian.  Dubbed into English.  This movie is probably on DVD in France under its original French title.      

ALSO, how did all of those discs get damaged, O speedracer?  That's a lot of damaged discs that needed replacing.    

There was a flood in my basement.  It wiped out the bottom shelves of all of my bookcases.  Granted the discs themselves are probably fine, but the cover art was damaged.  The water was also full of sewage which is gross, I'd rather just have new movies.

I bought this 1982-release Warner clamshell of THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS (1959) from eBay on March 7th. → I'd never seen this movie until I watched it twice on TCM and I liked it enough to want to own it. 

It's one of those "A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES" releases Warner put out way back when.  Besides the movie, a Bugs Bunny cartoon is featured ("People Are Bunny") along with news reels of what was going on at the time.  I'm always on the prowl for collectible video goodies (when my budget allows!). 

THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (1962) was released under the "Night At The Movies" heading by Warner Home Video as well.

Fun stuff!  I'm glad to have it.  post-42209-0-95585500-1489782178_thumb.jpg      

post-42209-0-95585500-1489782178_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got a couple of movies that were recommended to me on here: Prince of the City and a 2-disc Blu-Ray of Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring. I also got a copy of Lady Terminator, one of the more entertaining bad movies ever made.

LadyTerminator05.jpg

• Like 1

Has anyone ever bought a DVD from The Film Detective series? Are they any good? I'm looking into getting a quality copy of the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame, and there are a couple of really expensive ones, but there's one from The Film Detective that's $9.99. Trying to sift through the Amazon reviews is a headache, since they lump the comments for every edition together, and most reviewers don't clarify which edition they bought.

I received my Blu Ray of the Criterion release of The Marseille Trilogy today. Finally. That completes my collection of my top ten picks for each year of the 1930's.

I also got the Criterion release of They Live By Night last week, which completed my 1940's Best-Of collection. I got Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise recently. I got a few from the Edward R Hamilton Bookseller catalog, too, including the Blu-Ray of Bonnie & Clyde (my DVD was one of the oldest in my collection, and looked it), and a few from Kino, the 1920 version of The Golem, the 1934 German sci-fi movie Gold, and Fritz Lang: The Early Works, which contains Harakiri (1919), The Wandering Shadow (1920), and Four Around the Woman (1921).

I'm always buying stuff.  I like frequenting the used movie stores and with those places, you kind of have to jump on stuff that you find, otherwise it may not be there the next time.  

Anyway, I just got my own copy of Down With Love (w/ Ewan McGregor & Renee Zellweger), so I could return the library copy and I also bought a replacement copy of Take Her, She's Mine with James Stewart and Sandra Dee. I also bought a replacement copy of Moulin Rouge.

I was excited a few weeks ago, because I found Kiss of Death, I Wake Up Screaming and Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, all in one trip.  

My birthday is on Thursday, so I kind of have to hold off buying much of anything, so I don't end up with duplicates and so I can see if I get any gift cards.  I have a $100 gift card that my work gave me last July that I haven't spent yet and it expires in July, so I have to get cracking on that.  I have a feeling my list of recently acquired movies will grow--especially since the Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble starts in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

I found Kiss of Death,

I'm jealous, I still just have the VHS of that one. The used DVDs on Amazon are too pricey for me.