Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

62 posts in this topic

I'm jealous, I still just have the VHS of that one. The used DVDs on Amazon are too pricey for me.

I had never seen a physical copy of it and I just happened upon it.  It was only $8.99 used, but the store was having a buy 2, get one for $1 sale + I have a discount card that takes off 10%.  Just because of how the store rang it up, I got Kiss of Death for 90-cents!

• Like 1

I received my Blu Ray of the Criterion release of The Marseille Trilogy today. Finally. That completes my collection of my top ten picks for each year of the 1930's.

I also got the Criterion release of They Live By Night last week, which completed my 1940's Best-Of collection. I got Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise recently. I got a few from the Edward R Hamilton Bookseller catalog, too, including the Blu-Ray of Bonnie & Clyde (my DVD was one of the oldest in my collection, and looked it), and a few from Kino, the 1920 version of The Golem, the 1934 German sci-fi movie Gold, and Fritz Lang: The Early Works, which contains Harakiri (1919), The Wandering Shadow (1920), and Four Around the Woman (1921).

I ordered my Trilogy today. So curious to see how it looks. I feel like a kid looking forward to Christmas.

• Like 1

I had a gift card that I got last summer from work that I hadn't spent yet and it was set to expire on July 1.  I had to get cracking.  It'd be a shame to lose $100 because I couldn't decide what to buy.  

Anyway, so I finally spent it.  

Aside from the bluetooth portable speaker that I purchased, I got:

Midnight Lace (this movie seemed to be out of print for a long time and then there was a TCM release of it.  Now there seems like there is a regular release?)

TCM Greatest Classic Legends: The Thin Man.  This set replaces the first four Thin Man films that were damaged in my flood.  I repurchased #5 and #6 on their own.  Now my set is complete again.

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.  I love this film and it only seems to air maybe once a year on TCM.  This film is hard to find.  I've never seen it in the store for sale. I've seen the empty tab for where it was supposed to be, but the store never seems to have a copy.

Primrose Path.  With Ginger Rogers & Joel McCrea.  Now this film can leave my DVR.

You'll Never Get Rich.  With Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth.  This replaces my copy that was damaged.  This film is hard to find.  I found a million You Were Never Lovelier but not 'Rich.' 

TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Jean Harlow.  This replaces my copy that was damaged.  I originally bought this set for the inclusion of Libeled Lady, which since then has been released on it's own by Warner Brothers as a MOD.  However, this set also includes other delightful films like Wife Vs. Secretary and Dinner at Eight, so it was worth the re-purchase. 

The Affairs of Annabel & Annabel Takes a Tour.  Finally the 'Annabel' series is on DVD.  It's a MOD release, but it's available.  I love The Affairs of Annabel and it only seems to air a handful of times per year on TCM.  It's living on my DVR right now, so I'll be able to delete it. 

Trainspotting.  I was surprised how much I liked this film when I watched it, as movies about addiction aren't normally my thing.  But strangely enough, I found this film fun (if that's the right word for it).  It had a little bit of everything.  All it needed was Ewan McGregor singing.  Lol. 

• Like 2

I upgraded my Wolf Man Legacy set and Frankenstein Legacy set to Blu Ray. So now I have:

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Werewolf of London (1935)

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1939)

The Wolf Man (1941)

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

House of Frankenstein (1944)

House of Dracula (1945)

She-Wolf of London (1946)

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

All on Blu Ray!

I also put the Dracula and Mummy sets on pre-order.

"Frankenstein" is great.  Really like Colin Clive in that role.

Barnes & Noble's July Criterion sale started today--50% off!

I was going to post something about this when I saw your's. I just ordered three from them, The Devil and Daniel Webster, and Blu-Ray upgrades of Nashville and McCabe & Mrs. Miller, as those two were on rather shabby DVDs.

:D

I was going to post something about this when I saw your's. I just ordered three from them, The Devil and Daniel Webster, and Blu-Ray upgrades of Nashville and McCabe & Mrs. Miller, as those two were on rather shabby DVDs.

:D

I'm trying to decide what I want. My husband owes me a birthday present. Lol.

Right now, I want: Design For Living; The Palm Beach Story; It Happened One Night; Mildred Pierce; On the Waterfront; The Kid; and Woman of the Year. 'Design,' 'Waterfront,' and 'Kid' are the only ones I don't already own a (non-Criterion) copy of. But I really like 'Mildred,' so I'll probably get that and a couple others.

I'm trying to decide what I want. My husband owes me a birthday present. Lol.

Right now, I want: Design For Living; The Palm Beach Story; It Happened One Night; Mildred Pierce; On the Waterfront; The Kid; and Woman of the Year. 'Design,' 'Waterfront,' and 'Kid' are the only ones I don't already own a (non-Criterion) copy of. But I really like 'Mildred,' so I'll probably get that and a couple others.

I have the Criterions of both It Happened One Night and On the Waterfront, and can attest to their very high quality. 

So I settled on the three films that my husband is buying me for my birthday: Mildred Pierce, Design For Living and It Happened One Night.

There are two more paydays until the sale ends.  I may end up picking up some of the other films I want like The Kid and The Palm Beach Story.  I kind of want Valley of the Dolls but I already have it and I'm not sure if I really need two copies of that film.  I also really liked Cat People but again, I just got a copy as part of a Val Lewton collection.  

You know what film needs to be released on Criterion? The 1975 version of The Stepford Wives.  I love that movie.  I have a copy that I got for $3 somewhere, but I would get the Criterion. I am not even a fan of horror or science fiction and The Stepford Wives is kind of a combination of more genres.  For whatever reason however, I loved that film.  Perhaps it was the "camp" factor. 

I also really wish they'd redo Topper because there only seems to be a crappy version available.  It doesn't appear that this film ever got a proper studio release.  It only seems to have public domain releases? 

I also really wish they'd redo Topper because there only seems to be a crappy version available.  It doesn't appear that this film ever got a proper studio release.  It only seems to have public domain releases? 

The copy of Topper that I have is a low-grade cheapie that comes with Topper Returns

I may place another order, too. I'm thinking of getting the Blu-Rays of The Hidden FortressThe Manchurian Candidate and Mulholland Drive.

I just bought a copy of "Where Love Has Gone" with Susan Hayward and Bette Davis.  Looks a bit soapy but I'm a sucker for anything with Bette Davis in it.

*I finished my Christmas movie collection and purchased:

Home Alone

Bachelor Mother

White Christmas (I already owned it, but I upgraded to a 60th Anniversary Blu Ray)

Remember the Night

The Bishop's Wife

I'll Be Seeing You (This movie is going to be released on 11/21)

*Then I took advantage of the Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble and picked up The Philadelphia Story.

*Recently, I also purchased:

-The Moon Spinners w/ Hayley Mills

-That Funny Feeling w/ Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin

-Icons of Screwball Comedy Vol 1. This boxed set contains: Too Many Husbands, If You Could Only Cook (both w/ Jean Arthur), My Sister Eileen and She Wouldn't Say Yes (both w/ Rosalind Russell). 

Christmas is coming up so I'll have to add some more movies to my Christmas list.  Lol. 

• Like 1