Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

112 posts in this topic

We don't purchase by releasing company, but rather by movie or TV show.  What are the Criterion Collection movies?  I know I have some, but too lazy to go find them.

I get most of my DVD's from CCVideo.com, Oldies.com and a couple of others.  Did get a catalog from Kino Lobar recently that has some interesting Noirs in it, but not sure I want to order them as not that familiar with the movies. Also one from Clickii.  

13 minutes ago, TheCid said:

We don't purchase by releasing company, but rather by movie or TV show.  What are the Criterion Collection movies?  I know I have some, but too lazy to go find them.

I get most of my DVD's from CCVideo.com, Oldies.com and a couple of others.  Did get a catalog from Kino Lobar recently that has some interesting Noirs in it, but not sure I want to order them as not that familiar with the movies. Also one from Clickii.  

Criterion releases movies from here and around the world, from the silent period up to recent releases. While most people think of them as primarily focusing on foreign films or arthouse fare, they also release many classic Hollywood films. The Philadelphia StoryWoman of the YearOnly Angels Have WingsStagecoachRed RiverThe Manchurian Candidate, and many, many more, have all had Criterion releases.

What differentiates Criterion editions from most other versions is the quality of the print and the large amount of unique supplemental material, such as commentary tracks, making-of documentaries, interviews and/or profiles on the filmmakers or actors involved, etc. 

Oh, and I don't purchase everything Criterion releases, only those that I'm interested in.

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Criterion releases movies from here and around the world, from the silent period up to recent releases. While most people think of them as primarily focusing on foreign films or arthouse fare, they also release many classic Hollywood films. The Philadelphia StoryWoman of the YearOnly Angels Have WingsStagecoachRed RiverThe Manchurian Candidate, and many, many more, have all had Criterion releases.

What differentiates Criterion editions from most other versions is the quality of the print and the large amount of unique supplemental material, such as commentary tracks, making-of documentaries, interviews and/or profiles on the filmmakers or actors involved, etc. 

Oh, and I don't purchase everything Criterion releases, only those that I'm interested in.

Thanks.  I did search ccvideo.com and they have a "studio" tab which brings up Criterion Collection and several others.  So, guess they are available from many sources.  I'm sure we have purchased some before, but not specifically because they were Criterion.  Think some of the catalogs we get do periodically have a Criterion Collection section.  Did remind me of the Martini Movies that I purchased several years ago.

http://www.ccvideo.com/shop-by-studio

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Thanks.  I did search ccvideo.com and they have a "studio" tab which brings up Criterion Collection and several others.  So, guess they are available from many sources.  I'm sure we have purchased some before, but not specifically because they were Criterion.  Think some of the catalogs we get do periodically have a Criterion Collection section.  Did remind me of the Martini Movies that I purchased several years ago.

http://www.ccvideo.com/shop-by-studio

I have a couple of the Martini movies as well. I think in the past you may have mentioned buying from the Edward R Hamilton catalogs. They usually have a Criterion section in the Movies Only catalog. They tend to be too pricey from there, though.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I have a couple of the Martini movies as well. I think in the past you may have mentioned buying from the Edward R Hamilton catalogs. They usually have a Criterion section in the Movies Only catalog. They tend to be too pricey from there, though.

With Hamilton and most others, you do have to shop around.  One advantage to Hamilton is that they have a standard shipping charge of $3.50 no matter how big your order.  You can also mix books and DVD's, whereas some sources may sell both but you can't mix an order.

I usually have a list of a few DVD's I want and then check among my 4 or 5 favorite sources.  I have noticed over the last couple of years that most DVD's are going up in price and there are fewer bargains.  The days of the good DVD's for $9.98 are long gone.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:30 PM, TheCid said:

With Hamilton and most others, you do have to shop around.  One advantage to Hamilton is that they have a standard shipping charge of $3.50 no matter how big your order.  You can also mix books and DVD's, whereas some sources may sell both but you can't mix an order.

I usually have a list of a few DVD's I want and then check among my 4 or 5 favorite sources.  I have noticed over the last couple of years that most DVD's are going up in price and there are fewer bargains.  The days of the good DVD's for $9.98 are long gone.

Many of the classic film DVDs are out of print, which makes the price increase.  The classic classics like Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc. are usually always relatively inexpensive because they're constantly being released and re-released.  Many of the lesser known classics were only put on DVD once by the studios and now the copies are out of print.  The MOD services like Warner Brother Archives, Fox Cinema Classics, etc. are good sources for lesser known classics, but tend to be between $10-$20.  

I usually happen upon out of print DVDs at used movie stores.  I got a copy of Kiss of Death a while back for less than $1! With my loyalty card, I ended up getting it for .90.  The regular used price was $9. 

I just got 4 new Criterion films for Christmas:

Rebecca

Written on the Wind

Woman of the Year

Foreign Correspondent 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just got 4 new Criterion films for Christmas:

Rebecca

Written on the Wind

Woman of the Year

Foreign Correspondent 

My family and friends rarely if ever get me movies as gifts, as I have such a large collection that they have no way of knowing what I have or don't have, or what I want.

So it was very surprising to receive a gift from a relative that ended up being 3 Criterion movies (2 Blu-Rays and 1 DVD) and I didn't have any of them! He got them during the Barnes & Noble sale, and he had his reasoning for choosing each title:

Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence (1983) - He said "It has your name in the title, plus it has David Bowie, and I know you like Bowie."

535_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Meantime (1984) - He said "I saw that Gary Oldman was in it and I know you like him. Plus the cover art is silly."

890_DVD_box_348x490_temp_original.jpg

Chimes at Midnight (1966) - "I knew you liked Shakespeare stuff and I'd never heard of this. It has Orson Welles...that's the guy from Casablanca, right?" :lol:

830_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

I haven't seen any of them before, but I wanted to, so it was a great gift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

My family and friends rarely if ever get me movies as gifts, as I have such a large collection that they have no way of knowing what I have or don't have, or what I want.

So it was very surprising to receive a gift from a relative that ended up being 3 Criterion movies (2 Blu-Rays and 1 DVD) and I didn't have any of them! He got them during the Barnes & Noble sale, and he had his reasoning for choosing each title:

Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence (1983) - He said "It has your name in the title, plus it has David Bowie, and I know you like Bowie."

535_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Meantime (1984) - He said "I saw that Gary Oldman was in it and I know you like him. Plus the cover art is silly."

890_DVD_box_348x490_temp_original.jpg

Chimes at Midnight (1966) - "I knew you liked Shakespeare stuff and I'd never heard of this. It has Orson Welles...that's the guy from Casablanca, right?" :lol:

830_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

I haven't seen any of them before, but I wanted to, so it was a great gift.

I had a list of Criterions that I wanted and I distributed it. It killed me because I submitted my list in November during the sale and I couldn’t buy anything from my list. I did get The Philadelphia Story because it hadn’t come out yet when I made my list. 

• Like 1

I finally found a copy of Nightmare Alley.  So exciting! 

In the last month or so, I've also procured:

-Lucille Ball RKO Comedy Collection Vol 1.  Right now, there is only one collection of Lucy's RKO comedy films, but this set came with three films: Next Time I Marry, Go Chase Yourself and Look Who's Laughing.  I'm especially excited to have Next Time I Marry, that was a cute B comedy film.

-Alexander's Ragtime Band.  I really liked this film when I saw it on TCM last month.  It was really inexpensive and still in the original cellophane wrapper. 

-I Was a Male War Bride.  I didn't like this Ann Sheridan/Cary Grant film when I saw it the first time, then I watched it again and changed my opinion.  Now I really like it.

-Gun Crazy.  This was such a fun noir.  I really enjoyed it.

-Here Comes Mr. Jordan.  This was a really fun film with Robert Montgomery and Claude Rains.  Plus it was sold as "used" and it had never been opened! 

-Ziegfeld Girl.  One of the few Judy Garland films that I don't own.  I just saw this for the first time last month and really liked it.  I thought that Lana Turner was actually really good. 

-Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  This Robert Montgomery/Carole Lombard film is one of the few Hitchcock films that I don't own.  I saw it once and thought it was pretty funny.

-The Jungle Book (the original 1967 Disney animated classic).  I used to own this film on VHS but had never replaced my copy and gotten it on DVD.  On the way to the movie store, I heard "I Wanna Be Like You" on my iTunes playlist, so when I saw it "Used" in the store, I was inspired.  I think the only VHS Disney films I need to replace now are Bambi, Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  I also used to own Fantasia too, but I don't know if I need another copy of that film.  The only part I liked was the part with the dinosaurs.  I probably haven't seen that film for a long time though.  Maybe I'd like it better at 33 than I did at 6. 

• Like 1

Well, despite my recent decision to concentrate on movies that I haven't seen before, I still went out and bought several that I already have seen. My birthday is tomorrow, and I received a few gift certificates as gifts from family members. I used them to fill out my Akira Kurosawa collection, as I hope to rewatch all of his films sometime in the future. I added:

ES23_FirstKurosawa_original.png

ES07_PostwarKurosawa_original.png

239_box_348x490_original.jpg

267_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

841_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, and I almost forgot that I have the new Criterion Blu-ray of Tom Jones (1963) coming in this Tuesday.

• Like 1

I recently procured a still-wrapped copy of Barbarella being sold as "used."  Don't judge me.  Lol.  My husband and I watched this a couple years ago and had no idea what was going on, but had to keep watching to see what was going to happen next.  This movie was absurd and also amazing.

I also found a copy of Susan Slade, The Best of Everything and Cat Ballou

• Like 1

I recently acquired the Nancy Drew Mysteries with Pamela Sue Martin.  After giving up on them splitting Nancy off from Hardy Boys, decided to bite the bullet on a good deal on Season One.  Ironically, the 4 disc set is divided between two for Hardys and two for Nancy.

While not as good as the Nancy Drew movies with Bonita Granville, we like them.  The Hardy Boys wouldn't be too bad if someone other than Shaun Cassidy was in it.  Season Two got really bad as he became the heart throb of girls under 13.  They also reduced Nancy to mostly guest appearances on a Hardy Boys episode.

Another irony is that Bonita Granville was about 15 or 16 when her movies were made, but Pamela Sue Martin was 24 when she played Nancy.  And yes, I remember Martin from her Playboy appearance.

My latest purchases:

In line with my copycat endeavor to watch all the Disney movies a la NickandNora, I purchased:

-Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

-Pinocchio

-Bambi

The used movie store was having a "buy 2 used, get 1 used for $1" sale.  I also have a membership.  I ended up getting all three films for like $25! Pinocchio was only $0.90!  Disney movies tend to be more expensive than the other used DVDs, so I thought $25 for 3 Disney films was a pretty good deal. 

---

I've also recently purchased:

-The Cat and the Canary w/ Paulette Goddard and Bob Hope

-Rings on Her Fingers w/ Gene Tierney and Henry Fonda

-Palm Springs Weekend w/ Troy Donahue and Connie Stevens*

-Where the Boys Are w/ Dolores Hart and Paula Prentiss*

*- I do love me a teen beach movie, or even 1950s/1960s teen movies.  I don't know what it is about them, but they are so much fun to watch.

-That Funny Feeling & If a Man Answers.  These complete my Sandra Dee/Bobby Darin trilogy. I found If a Man Answers "used" but still in the cellophane wrapper.  Score!

Two For the Road.  I loved this Audrey Hepburn/Albert Finney film.  It was compelling and I loved the unconventional, non linear, narrative structure.  This film was also "used" but still in the vendor cellophane.  It was only $5! Score!

-I've completed my Hayley Mills collection by picking up In Search of the Castaways, The Moonspinners and That Darn Cat!  I already had The Parent Trap, Pollyanna and Summer Magic.  

• Like 1

I haven't been getting too many movies lately. For one, I'm trying to get through the unwatched stuff that I already have, and then I'll rewatch some stuff that I've seen before again. And two, I just bought a new car and so I'm watching my budget a little more closely. 

I did get the new Criterion Blu-Ray of Dead Man (1995). I'm looking forward to rewatching it, as it's my favorite Jim Jarmusch movie. I have the Criterion Blu-Rays of Bowling for Columbine (2002) and A Matter of Life and Death aka Stairway to Heaven (1946) pre-ordered. The former comes out at the end of June, and the latter at the end of July.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I haven't been getting too many movies lately. For one, I'm trying to get through the unwatched stuff that I already have, and then I'll rewatch some stuff that I've seen before again. And two, I just bought a new car and so I'm watching my budget a little more closely. 

I did get the new Criterion Blu-Ray of Dead Man (1995). I'm looking forward to rewatching it, as it's my favorite Jim Jarmusch movie. I have the Criterion Blu-Rays of Bowling for Columbine (2002) and A Matter of Life and Death aka Stairway to Heaven (1946) pre-ordered. The former comes out at the end of June, and the latter at the end of July.

Congrats on the new car! I want to get a new car myself.  My car is a 2006 Toyota Corolla which I've had since 2008.  When I bought it, it had 13k miles on it.  It now has 203k miles.  My car still runs fine and everything and I own it; but dammit I want a new car! Lol.  I want to get the car before I have to renew my tags.  I just renewed them in January, so I have until January 2020.  This goal seems reasonable.  I'd also rather not have to put another new set of tires on the car.  Right now however, before I add a car payment, I am trying to pay off some other bills so that I don't stretch myself too thin.  I am anticipating a pay increase soon (as I'm moving from an hourly employee to salaried), so that will help; but having less bills would be nice.

Re: Criterion.  I am waiting for the July 50% off Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble for my next Criterion purchasing bonanza.  Right now I have my eye on: The Awful Truth, The Blob, The Asphalt Jungle, The Breaking Point, and I Married a Witch.  There are some other ones that intrigue me as well, but I already own copies of them, so I'd have to decide how I much I loved the film to determine if I want another copy.  I do own The Awful Truth as well, but I know that I want a Criterion of that film. 

• Like 1

I just picked up some more treasures, I don't even have room for these films that I keep getting, but apparently I'm not letting that stop me.

I watched all these films recently on TCM and enjoyed them.  None of them are groundbreaking cinema, but they're fun--which sometimes is all that you can ask for in a film. I love the early 60s comedies.  A lot of the time, they're really corny, but they can be entertaining as well.

Bachelor in Paradise (1961).  This is a comedy starring Bob Hope, Lana Turner, Tim Hutton, Paula Prentiss and Janis Page.  I also recognized Don Porter who plays Page's husband.  He is also Gidget's dad in Sally Field's Gidget TV Show.  Hope stars as a writer who moves to the carefully constructed community of Paradise--everything and everyone is living the "ideal" life.  He is known for writing about the sex lives of people living in different countries around the world.  He ends up renting Turner's home and causes drama in the community when he starts giving the local wives advise on how to spice things up with their husbands.  

I'll Take Sweden (1965).  In this film, Bob Hope stars as the father of a young woman, Tuesday Weld.  He's concerned that she seems enamored with a young man, Frankie Avalon, who isn't exactly Hope's ideal son-in-law.  He ends up taking Weld away to Sweden, hoping to distract her attentions from Avalon.  Weld ends up meeting a Swedish man whom Hope also doesn't like because he's a little too amorous with his daughter.  Hope also meets and falls for a Swedish woman, Dina Merrill. 

Good Neighbor Sam (1964) Jack Lemmon stars in this film as a nice, mild mannered ad executive, Sam Bissell.  He has a beautiful wife (Dorothy Provine) and two children.  He loves his family and he loves his wife.  Provine's best friend, Romy Schneider, has just inherited a large fortune (15 million) from her grandfather.  Schneider has rented the home next door while she settles the estate.  However, there's a hitch, Schneider's grandfather insists that his granddaughter must be married before she can receive the money.  Schneider convinces Lemmon and Provine to have Lemmon pose as her husband.  In exchange, she'll give the couple a million dollars.  While this is going on, Lemmon's advertising company has just angered a big client, Edward G. Robinson, by preparing a sleazy ad campaign to sell his dairy products.  In an effort to save their relationship with Robinson, the ad company brings Lemmon in to pitch an alternative, wholesome ad campaign.  Robinson is convinced and Lemmon is hired.  A wrench is thrown into the whole thing when Lemmon and Schneider are seen together and it is assumed that they're married.  They're forced to maintain the charade as to not jeopardize the ad campaign. 

Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding (1967) This film stars Sandra Dee as a young woman who just wants to live a simple life: go to college, get a job, settle down and maybe start a family.  Dee's mother, Celeste Holm, has different ideas.  She wants to exploit her daughter's modest singing talent and make her a star.  Dee is forced to go through multiple impromptu auditions.  This doesn't go anywhere and Dee ends up graduating from college and getting a job working for George Hamilton as his secretary.  The film flash forwards and we learn that Dee is now an unwed, pregnant lounge singer.  While she's enroute to the hospital to give birth, three suitors show up clamoring to marry Dee.  Throughout the film, we learn about Dee's relationship with each of these men and try to learn who the father of her baby is.  This film is definitely not state of the art cinema, but I like Sandra Dee and find this film an amusing diversion.  

• Like 2

It's almost my birthday (12 days) so who knows what I'll end up with at the end of it.  I tend to hold out for the B&N July Criterion sale--my husband gives me his debit card and I order, lol. 

However, because I cannot help myself, I picked these up last week:

-The Notorious Landlady.  I actually haven't seen this Jack Lemmon, Kim Novak and Fred Astaire film.  I don't typically buy films I've never seen before, but I am a fan of all three stars and I read decent reviews about it.  We'll find out.

-Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack.  This set contains: Three Smart Girls, Something in the Wind, First Love, It Started with Eve, Can't Help Singing, Lady on a Train.  I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Durbin's voice, too operatic.  However, I really liked Lady on a Train.  This collection was cheaper than buying Lady on a Train separately. 

-Vincent Price 5 Movie Collection.  This set contains: The Bat, House on Haunted Hill, The Jackal, The Last Man on Earth, and Shock.  I have no idea about 4/5 films in this set.  I bought it for House on Haunted Hill

-Sex and the Single Girl.  I know that this isn't everyone's favorite film, but I like Natalie Wood's 60s films and this film was pretty cheap and it has its moments. 

-Frankenstein (1933).  I don't even normally like horror movies, but I loved this movie.  It was so much fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

It's almost my birthday (12 days) so who knows what I'll end up with at the end of it.  I tend to hold out for the B&N July Criterion sale--my husband gives me his debit card and I order, lol. 

However, because I cannot help myself, I picked these up last week:

-The Notorious Landlady.  I actually haven't seen this Jack Lemmon, Kim Novak and Fred Astaire film.  I don't typically buy films I've never seen before, but I am a fan of all three stars and I read decent reviews about it.  We'll find out.

-Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack.  This set contains: Three Smart Girls, Something in the Wind, First Love, It Started with Eve, Can't Help Singing, Lady on a Train.  I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Durbin's voice, too operatic.  However, I really liked Lady on a Train.  This collection was cheaper than buying Lady on a Train separately. 

-Vincent Price 5 Movie Collection.  This set contains: The Bat, House on Haunted Hill, The Jackal, The Last Man on Earth, and Shock.  I have no idea about 4/5 films in this set.  I bought it for House on Haunted Hill

-Sex and the Single Girl.  I know that this isn't everyone's favorite film, but I like Natalie Wood's 60s films and this film was pretty cheap and it has its moments. 

-Frankenstein (1933).  I don't even normally like horror movies, but I loved this movie.  It was so much fun.

First of all, happy early birthday!

Secondly, Frankenstein is from 1931. I have to be a stickler about one of my faves.

Thirdly, re: the Vincent Price set. The Bat is a fun throwback to "old dark house" mystery movies. It's a remake of The Bat from 1926. Agnes Moorehead is in it, too. The Last Man on Earth is low-budget but interesting. It's the first movie version of the book I Am Legend, later remade as The Omega Man with Charlton Heston, and then under the book's title with Will Smith. It's post-apocalyptic. Shock! is a decent film noir. The Jackals is a western made in South Africa. It's not bad, either.

• Like 1

It was my birthday two days ago.  I got Flamingo Road as one of my gifts--which is pretty sweet, I love that movie.  Then I got a gift card to Barnes and Noble that'll definitely put to good use next month when they have their 50% off Criterion sale.  Word on the street (aka Internet) says that the sale starts July 5.

Last week, I visited Newark, California on business.  I love going to new used DVD stores.  I discovered that there was a used DVD store in the Newpark Mall.  After work one day, I drove over to the mall and visited a store called Rasputin's.  This store was amazing! Not only did they have an enormous new and used DVD and CD section, they also had a section devoted solely to classics.  Since I flew to the Bay Area, I didn't want to load my suitcase with a zillion DVDs.  But I managed to find: The Lucy Desi Movie Collection (I actually already owned this, but it was damaged in my basement flood a couple years ago.  This collection is out of print apparently); Phffft! with Jack Lemmon, Judy Holliday and Kim Novak and a brand-new, still sealed, but "used" copy of Love with the Proper Stranger with Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 11:38 PM, speedracer5 said:

Then I got a gift card to Barnes and Noble that'll definitely put to good use next month when they have their 50% off Criterion sale.  Word on the street (aka Internet) says that the sale starts July 5.

So did you ever end up getting anything at the B&N sale? I bought a few...Tess (1979), 3:10 to Yuma (1957), Othello (1952), Being John Malkovich (1999), and Stagecoach (1939).

41 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

So did you ever end up getting anything at the B&N sale? I bought a few...Tess (1979), 3:10 to Yuma (1957), Othello (1952), Being John Malkovich (1999), and Stagecoach (1939).

I haven’t gotten anything yet, but I will. I heard that the sale goes through Aug 6. For sure I’m getting “The Awful Truth” and “Trouble in Paradise.” I’ll have to make up my mind if I want more. I also have a B&N gift card that I got for my birthday and I’m also a member! lol. 

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I haven’t gotten anything yet, but I will. I heard that the sale goes through Aug 6. For sure I’m getting “The Awful Truth” and “Trouble in Paradise.” I’ll have to make up my mind if I want more. I also have a B&N gift card that I got for my birthday and I’m also a member! lol. 

Don't get me started on the Criterion sale. I have been a very bad girl. There is one thing, and I wonder if you could offer your opinion. Criterion has been republishing some films that were originally pressed by MGM/UA, Sony, and Warner Brothers. Is it worth it to double dip? The stingy Scotsman in me says no! But I look at the extras and say yes! Twelve Angry Men, Blood Simple, and Midnight Cowboy look very appealing. I actually got the smaller of the two big 90th anniversary UA DVD sets put out in 2007, and some films that are now offered by Criterion are in there in double disc editions, so the extras are pretty good.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Don't get me started on the Criterion sale. I have been a very bad girl. There is one thing, and I wonder if you could offer your opinion. Criterion has been republishing some films that were originally pressed by MGM/UA, Sony, and Warner Brothers. Is it worth it to double dip? The stingy Scotsman in me says no! But I look at the extras and say yes! Twelve Angry Men, Blood Simple, and Midnight Cowboy look very appealing. I actually got the smaller of the two big 90th anniversary UA DVD sets put out in 2007, and some films that are now offered by Criterion are in there in double disc editions, so the extras are pretty good.

I will buy Criterion films of films I already own if the special features are worthwhile or even if I know the quality will be much better.  I've purchased Mildred Pierce, It Happened One Night, Rebecca, Gilda, and The Philadelphia Story even if I already own a copy.  I am for sure going to purchase The Awful Truth even though I already own it.  I am also trying to decide whether or not to get a few other films I already have: Cat People, Valley of the Dolls, Sullivan's Travels and The Palm Beach Story