Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

89 posts in this topic

We don't purchase by releasing company, but rather by movie or TV show.  What are the Criterion Collection movies?  I know I have some, but too lazy to go find them.

I get most of my DVD's from CCVideo.com, Oldies.com and a couple of others.  Did get a catalog from Kino Lobar recently that has some interesting Noirs in it, but not sure I want to order them as not that familiar with the movies. Also one from Clickii.  

13 minutes ago, TheCid said:

We don't purchase by releasing company, but rather by movie or TV show.  What are the Criterion Collection movies?  I know I have some, but too lazy to go find them.

I get most of my DVD's from CCVideo.com, Oldies.com and a couple of others.  Did get a catalog from Kino Lobar recently that has some interesting Noirs in it, but not sure I want to order them as not that familiar with the movies. Also one from Clickii.  

Criterion releases movies from here and around the world, from the silent period up to recent releases. While most people think of them as primarily focusing on foreign films or arthouse fare, they also release many classic Hollywood films. The Philadelphia StoryWoman of the YearOnly Angels Have WingsStagecoachRed RiverThe Manchurian Candidate, and many, many more, have all had Criterion releases.

What differentiates Criterion editions from most other versions is the quality of the print and the large amount of unique supplemental material, such as commentary tracks, making-of documentaries, interviews and/or profiles on the filmmakers or actors involved, etc. 

Oh, and I don't purchase everything Criterion releases, only those that I'm interested in.

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Criterion releases movies from here and around the world, from the silent period up to recent releases. While most people think of them as primarily focusing on foreign films or arthouse fare, they also release many classic Hollywood films. The Philadelphia StoryWoman of the YearOnly Angels Have WingsStagecoachRed RiverThe Manchurian Candidate, and many, many more, have all had Criterion releases.

What differentiates Criterion editions from most other versions is the quality of the print and the large amount of unique supplemental material, such as commentary tracks, making-of documentaries, interviews and/or profiles on the filmmakers or actors involved, etc. 

Oh, and I don't purchase everything Criterion releases, only those that I'm interested in.

Thanks.  I did search ccvideo.com and they have a "studio" tab which brings up Criterion Collection and several others.  So, guess they are available from many sources.  I'm sure we have purchased some before, but not specifically because they were Criterion.  Think some of the catalogs we get do periodically have a Criterion Collection section.  Did remind me of the Martini Movies that I purchased several years ago.

http://www.ccvideo.com/shop-by-studio

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Thanks.  I did search ccvideo.com and they have a "studio" tab which brings up Criterion Collection and several others.  So, guess they are available from many sources.  I'm sure we have purchased some before, but not specifically because they were Criterion.  Think some of the catalogs we get do periodically have a Criterion Collection section.  Did remind me of the Martini Movies that I purchased several years ago.

http://www.ccvideo.com/shop-by-studio

I have a couple of the Martini movies as well. I think in the past you may have mentioned buying from the Edward R Hamilton catalogs. They usually have a Criterion section in the Movies Only catalog. They tend to be too pricey from there, though.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I have a couple of the Martini movies as well. I think in the past you may have mentioned buying from the Edward R Hamilton catalogs. They usually have a Criterion section in the Movies Only catalog. They tend to be too pricey from there, though.

With Hamilton and most others, you do have to shop around.  One advantage to Hamilton is that they have a standard shipping charge of $3.50 no matter how big your order.  You can also mix books and DVD's, whereas some sources may sell both but you can't mix an order.

I usually have a list of a few DVD's I want and then check among my 4 or 5 favorite sources.  I have noticed over the last couple of years that most DVD's are going up in price and there are fewer bargains.  The days of the good DVD's for $9.98 are long gone.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:30 PM, TheCid said:

With Hamilton and most others, you do have to shop around.  One advantage to Hamilton is that they have a standard shipping charge of $3.50 no matter how big your order.  You can also mix books and DVD's, whereas some sources may sell both but you can't mix an order.

I usually have a list of a few DVD's I want and then check among my 4 or 5 favorite sources.  I have noticed over the last couple of years that most DVD's are going up in price and there are fewer bargains.  The days of the good DVD's for $9.98 are long gone.

Many of the classic film DVDs are out of print, which makes the price increase.  The classic classics like Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc. are usually always relatively inexpensive because they're constantly being released and re-released.  Many of the lesser known classics were only put on DVD once by the studios and now the copies are out of print.  The MOD services like Warner Brother Archives, Fox Cinema Classics, etc. are good sources for lesser known classics, but tend to be between $10-$20.  

I usually happen upon out of print DVDs at used movie stores.  I got a copy of Kiss of Death a while back for less than $1! With my loyalty card, I ended up getting it for .90.  The regular used price was $9. 

I just got 4 new Criterion films for Christmas:

Rebecca

Written on the Wind

Woman of the Year

Foreign Correspondent 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just got 4 new Criterion films for Christmas:

Rebecca

Written on the Wind

Woman of the Year

Foreign Correspondent 

My family and friends rarely if ever get me movies as gifts, as I have such a large collection that they have no way of knowing what I have or don't have, or what I want.

So it was very surprising to receive a gift from a relative that ended up being 3 Criterion movies (2 Blu-Rays and 1 DVD) and I didn't have any of them! He got them during the Barnes & Noble sale, and he had his reasoning for choosing each title:

Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence (1983) - He said "It has your name in the title, plus it has David Bowie, and I know you like Bowie."

535_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Meantime (1984) - He said "I saw that Gary Oldman was in it and I know you like him. Plus the cover art is silly."

890_DVD_box_348x490_temp_original.jpg

Chimes at Midnight (1966) - "I knew you liked Shakespeare stuff and I'd never heard of this. It has Orson Welles...that's the guy from Casablanca, right?" :lol:

830_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

I haven't seen any of them before, but I wanted to, so it was a great gift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

My family and friends rarely if ever get me movies as gifts, as I have such a large collection that they have no way of knowing what I have or don't have, or what I want.

So it was very surprising to receive a gift from a relative that ended up being 3 Criterion movies (2 Blu-Rays and 1 DVD) and I didn't have any of them! He got them during the Barnes & Noble sale, and he had his reasoning for choosing each title:

Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence (1983) - He said "It has your name in the title, plus it has David Bowie, and I know you like Bowie."

535_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Meantime (1984) - He said "I saw that Gary Oldman was in it and I know you like him. Plus the cover art is silly."

890_DVD_box_348x490_temp_original.jpg

Chimes at Midnight (1966) - "I knew you liked Shakespeare stuff and I'd never heard of this. It has Orson Welles...that's the guy from Casablanca, right?" :lol:

830_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

I haven't seen any of them before, but I wanted to, so it was a great gift.

I had a list of Criterions that I wanted and I distributed it. It killed me because I submitted my list in November during the sale and I couldn’t buy anything from my list. I did get The Philadelphia Story because it hadn’t come out yet when I made my list. 

• Like 1

I finally found a copy of Nightmare Alley.  So exciting! 

In the last month or so, I've also procured:

-Lucille Ball RKO Comedy Collection Vol 1.  Right now, there is only one collection of Lucy's RKO comedy films, but this set came with three films: Next Time I Marry, Go Chase Yourself and Look Who's Laughing.  I'm especially excited to have Next Time I Marry, that was a cute B comedy film.

-Alexander's Ragtime Band.  I really liked this film when I saw it on TCM last month.  It was really inexpensive and still in the original cellophane wrapper. 

-I Was a Male War Bride.  I didn't like this Ann Sheridan/Cary Grant film when I saw it the first time, then I watched it again and changed my opinion.  Now I really like it.

-Gun Crazy.  This was such a fun noir.  I really enjoyed it.

-Here Comes Mr. Jordan.  This was a really fun film with Robert Montgomery and Claude Rains.  Plus it was sold as "used" and it had never been opened! 

-Ziegfeld Girl.  One of the few Judy Garland films that I don't own.  I just saw this for the first time last month and really liked it.  I thought that Lana Turner was actually really good. 

-Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  This Robert Montgomery/Carole Lombard film is one of the few Hitchcock films that I don't own.  I saw it once and thought it was pretty funny.

-The Jungle Book (the original 1967 Disney animated classic).  I used to own this film on VHS but had never replaced my copy and gotten it on DVD.  On the way to the movie store, I heard "I Wanna Be Like You" on my iTunes playlist, so when I saw it "Used" in the store, I was inspired.  I think the only VHS Disney films I need to replace now are Bambi, Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  I also used to own Fantasia too, but I don't know if I need another copy of that film.  The only part I liked was the part with the dinosaurs.  I probably haven't seen that film for a long time though.  Maybe I'd like it better at 33 than I did at 6. 

• Like 1

Well, despite my recent decision to concentrate on movies that I haven't seen before, I still went out and bought several that I already have seen. My birthday is tomorrow, and I received a few gift certificates as gifts from family members. I used them to fill out my Akira Kurosawa collection, as I hope to rewatch all of his films sometime in the future. I added:

ES23_FirstKurosawa_original.png

ES07_PostwarKurosawa_original.png

239_box_348x490_original.jpg

267_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

841_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, and I almost forgot that I have the new Criterion Blu-ray of Tom Jones (1963) coming in this Tuesday.

• Like 1

I recently procured a still-wrapped copy of Barbarella being sold as "used."  Don't judge me.  Lol.  My husband and I watched this a couple years ago and had no idea what was going on, but had to keep watching to see what was going to happen next.  This movie was absurd and also amazing.

I also found a copy of Susan Slade, The Best of Everything and Cat Ballou

• Like 1

I recently acquired the Nancy Drew Mysteries with Pamela Sue Martin.  After giving up on them splitting Nancy off from Hardy Boys, decided to bite the bullet on a good deal on Season One.  Ironically, the 4 disc set is divided between two for Hardys and two for Nancy.

While not as good as the Nancy Drew movies with Bonita Granville, we like them.  The Hardy Boys wouldn't be too bad if someone other than Shaun Cassidy was in it.  Season Two got really bad as he became the heart throb of girls under 13.  They also reduced Nancy to mostly guest appearances on a Hardy Boys episode.

Another irony is that Bonita Granville was about 15 or 16 when her movies were made, but Pamela Sue Martin was 24 when she played Nancy.  And yes, I remember Martin from her Playboy appearance.