Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

108 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I will buy Criterion films of films I already own if the special features are worthwhile or even if I know the quality will be much better.  I've purchased Mildred Pierce, It Happened One Night, Rebecca, Gilda, and The Philadelphia Story even if I already own a copy.  I am for sure going to purchase The Awful Truth even though I already own it.  I am also trying to decide whether or not to get a few other films I already have: Cat People, Valley of the Dolls, Sullivan's Travels and The Palm Beach Story

Aarrgh.  I had no idea  Criterion had "The Palm Beach Story"! I have the Preston Sturges set from 10 years ago, and the films were of good quality but there were NO extras. I double dipped on Sullivan's Travels because of the extras.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spent my birthday gift card at the Criterion sale.  I also had another $10 gift card that I got on Groupon.  They had a deal where if you spent $5, you got a $10 gift card.  

I ended up getting: The Awful Truth, Trouble in Paradise, The Palm Beach Story and The Breaking Point

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay.  I'll have to retire my Criterion purchasing until the next Barnes & Noble sale in November...

The Palm Beach Story and The Breaking Point came today in the mail.  The Awful Truth and Trouble in Paradise are supposed to come tomorrow.

Then, I just went and ordered three more movies: Sullivan's Travels, Cat People, and my personal favorite: Valley of the Dolls.  

I'm looking forward to purchasing My Man Godfrey and The Princess Bride at the next Criterion sale.

My next purchases will need to also include The Blob, I Married a Witch and Sweet Smell of Success

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Okay.  I'll have to retire my Criterion purchasing until the next Barnes & Noble sale in November...

The Palm Beach Story and The Breaking Point came today in the mail.  The Awful Truth and Trouble in Paradise are supposed to come tomorrow.

Then, I just went and ordered three more movies: Sullivan's Travels, Cat People, and my personal favorite: Valley of the Dolls.  

I'm looking forward to purchasing My Man Godfrey and The Princess Bride at the next Criterion sale.

My next purchases will need to also include The Blob, I Married a Witch and Sweet Smell of Success

Nice choices. I have Sullivan's TravelsThe Blob, and Sweet Smell of Success in my collection. I also have The Awful TruthCat People, and The Princess Bride, but not the Criterion editions. And I have the old Criterion DVD of My Man Godfrey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Nice choices. I have Sullivan's TravelsThe Blob, and Sweet Smell of Success in my collection. I also have The Awful TruthCat People, and The Princess Bride, but not the Criterion editions. And I have the old Criterion DVD of My Man Godfrey.

The only new movies I got were The Breaking Point and Trouble in Paradise.  If I get The Blob and I Married a Witch, then those'll be a new movie as well.  I already had copies of all the other movies I mentioned, but they weren't on Criterion and they're not Blu-Ray. 

I have a Universal Pictures release of My Man Godfrey.  I wouldn't mind having the Blu-Ray Criterion version.  I usually try to unload my duplicate copies of movies on people, but my copies of The Palm Beach Story and Cat People are part of a set.  I can't remember if the films are on their own disc, where I could conceivably give them away, but it would drive me nuts to have a set with a missing film.  So I'll just have two of those. At one point I had like 3 copies of The Philadelphia Story and Mildred Pierce.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 9:53 AM, speedracer5 said:

The only new movies I got were The Breaking Point and Trouble in Paradise.  If I get The Blob and I Married a Witch, then those'll be a new movie as well.  I already had copies of all the other movies I mentioned, but they weren't on Criterion and they're not Blu-Ray. 

I have a Universal Pictures release of My Man Godfrey.  I wouldn't mind having the Blu-Ray Criterion version.  I usually try to unload my duplicate copies of movies on people, but my copies of The Palm Beach Story and Cat People are part of a set.  I can't remember if the films are on their own disc, where I could conceivably give them away, but it would drive me nuts to have a set with a missing film.  So I'll just have two of those. At one point I had like 3 copies of The Philadelphia Story and Mildred Pierce.   

You probably have the Val Lewton set with Cat People and the Preston Sturges collection with Palm Beach story, and without getting the Sturges set out I cannot answer for Palm Beach Story. However, I have the Lewton set nearby and it looks like "Curse of the Cat People" and "Cat People" share the same disc. I just REALLY HATE rebuying a movie. I still have some time before the sale ends, but I am seriously eyeing "Only Angels Have Wings".  I bought the Cary Grant set about 11 years ago that had that film in it, but I don't believe there were any extras.  The Criterion version has a documentary on it entitled "Howard Hawks and His Aviation Movies, a new program featuring film scholars Craig Barron and Ben Burtt", and I am really curious about that. Let me just say I have been a VERY BAD GIRL during this sale, but we cannot go to Capitolfest this year, so I have some money I put away that I can play with due to not getting to go to that annual film fest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

You probably have the Val Lewton set with Cat People and the Preston Sturges collection with Palm Beach story, and without getting the Sturges set out I cannot answer for Palm Beach Story. However, I have the Lewton set nearby and it looks like "Curse of the Cat People" and "Cat People" share the same disc. I just REALLY HATE rebuying a movie. I still have some time before the sale ends, but I am seriously eyeing "Only Angels Have Wings".  I bought the Cary Grant set about 11 years ago that had that film in it, but I don't believe there were any extras.  The Criterion version has a documentary on it entitled "Howard Hawks and His Aviation Movies, a new program featuring film scholars Craig Barron and Ben Burtt", and I am really curious about that. Let me just say I have been a VERY BAD GIRL during this sale, but we cannot go to Capitolfest this year, so I have some money I put away that I can play with due to not getting to go to that annual film fest.

I have the Criterion Only Angels Have Wings, and it was a double-dip for me as I had the old Sony DVD, but the new version was well worth it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, calvinnme said:

You probably have the Val Lewton set with Cat People and the Preston Sturges collection with Palm Beach story, and without getting the Sturges set out I cannot answer for Palm Beach Story. However, I have the Lewton set nearby and it looks like "Curse of the Cat People" and "Cat People" share the same disc. I just REALLY HATE rebuying a movie. I still have some time before the sale ends, but I am seriously eyeing "Only Angels Have Wings".  I bought the Cary Grant set about 11 years ago that had that film in it, but I don't believe there were any extras.  The Criterion version has a documentary on it entitled "Howard Hawks and His Aviation Movies, a new program featuring film scholars Craig Barron and Ben Burtt", and I am really curious about that. Let me just say I have been a VERY BAD GIRL during this sale, but we cannot go to Capitolfest this year, so I have some money I put away that I can play with due to not getting to go to that annual film fest.

I have the TCM Val Lewton set.  My copy of The Palm Beach Story is actually in the 4-movie Claudette Colbert collection that TCM released a few years back.  They also have a Barbara Stanwyck collection, but that one is harder to find.  I think Amazon has it.  I wish that TCM had continued this series.  Perhaps the TCM Greatest Classic whatever collections took the place of this "Showcase" collection.  I have Only Angels Have Wings as well.  I don't have the Criterion.  I have the TCM Vault release.  I honestly forgot this movie was on Criterion.  Maybe for November's sale.  I don't like buying duplicates either, but I like having the extra documentaries.

275299.jpg 0025192194832_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us