LawrenceA

Recent Buys

144 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I will buy Criterion films of films I already own if the special features are worthwhile or even if I know the quality will be much better.  I've purchased Mildred Pierce, It Happened One Night, Rebecca, Gilda, and The Philadelphia Story even if I already own a copy.  I am for sure going to purchase The Awful Truth even though I already own it.  I am also trying to decide whether or not to get a few other films I already have: Cat People, Valley of the Dolls, Sullivan's Travels and The Palm Beach Story

Aarrgh.  I had no idea  Criterion had "The Palm Beach Story"! I have the Preston Sturges set from 10 years ago, and the films were of good quality but there were NO extras. I double dipped on Sullivan's Travels because of the extras.

• Like 1

I just spent my birthday gift card at the Criterion sale.  I also had another $10 gift card that I got on Groupon.  They had a deal where if you spent $5, you got a $10 gift card.  

I ended up getting: The Awful Truth, Trouble in Paradise, The Palm Beach Story and The Breaking Point

• Like 4

Okay.  I'll have to retire my Criterion purchasing until the next Barnes & Noble sale in November...

The Palm Beach Story and The Breaking Point came today in the mail.  The Awful Truth and Trouble in Paradise are supposed to come tomorrow.

Then, I just went and ordered three more movies: Sullivan's Travels, Cat People, and my personal favorite: Valley of the Dolls.  

I'm looking forward to purchasing My Man Godfrey and The Princess Bride at the next Criterion sale.

My next purchases will need to also include The Blob, I Married a Witch and Sweet Smell of Success

• Like 3

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Okay.  I'll have to retire my Criterion purchasing until the next Barnes & Noble sale in November...

The Palm Beach Story and The Breaking Point came today in the mail.  The Awful Truth and Trouble in Paradise are supposed to come tomorrow.

Then, I just went and ordered three more movies: Sullivan's Travels, Cat People, and my personal favorite: Valley of the Dolls.  

I'm looking forward to purchasing My Man Godfrey and The Princess Bride at the next Criterion sale.

My next purchases will need to also include The Blob, I Married a Witch and Sweet Smell of Success

Nice choices. I have Sullivan's TravelsThe Blob, and Sweet Smell of Success in my collection. I also have The Awful TruthCat People, and The Princess Bride, but not the Criterion editions. And I have the old Criterion DVD of My Man Godfrey.

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Nice choices. I have Sullivan's TravelsThe Blob, and Sweet Smell of Success in my collection. I also have The Awful TruthCat People, and The Princess Bride, but not the Criterion editions. And I have the old Criterion DVD of My Man Godfrey.

The only new movies I got were The Breaking Point and Trouble in Paradise.  If I get The Blob and I Married a Witch, then those'll be a new movie as well.  I already had copies of all the other movies I mentioned, but they weren't on Criterion and they're not Blu-Ray. 

I have a Universal Pictures release of My Man Godfrey.  I wouldn't mind having the Blu-Ray Criterion version.  I usually try to unload my duplicate copies of movies on people, but my copies of The Palm Beach Story and Cat People are part of a set.  I can't remember if the films are on their own disc, where I could conceivably give them away, but it would drive me nuts to have a set with a missing film.  So I'll just have two of those. At one point I had like 3 copies of The Philadelphia Story and Mildred Pierce.  

On 7/31/2018 at 9:53 AM, speedracer5 said:

The only new movies I got were The Breaking Point and Trouble in Paradise.  If I get The Blob and I Married a Witch, then those'll be a new movie as well.  I already had copies of all the other movies I mentioned, but they weren't on Criterion and they're not Blu-Ray. 

I have a Universal Pictures release of My Man Godfrey.  I wouldn't mind having the Blu-Ray Criterion version.  I usually try to unload my duplicate copies of movies on people, but my copies of The Palm Beach Story and Cat People are part of a set.  I can't remember if the films are on their own disc, where I could conceivably give them away, but it would drive me nuts to have a set with a missing film.  So I'll just have two of those. At one point I had like 3 copies of The Philadelphia Story and Mildred Pierce.   

You probably have the Val Lewton set with Cat People and the Preston Sturges collection with Palm Beach story, and without getting the Sturges set out I cannot answer for Palm Beach Story. However, I have the Lewton set nearby and it looks like "Curse of the Cat People" and "Cat People" share the same disc. I just REALLY HATE rebuying a movie. I still have some time before the sale ends, but I am seriously eyeing "Only Angels Have Wings".  I bought the Cary Grant set about 11 years ago that had that film in it, but I don't believe there were any extras.  The Criterion version has a documentary on it entitled "Howard Hawks and His Aviation Movies, a new program featuring film scholars Craig Barron and Ben Burtt", and I am really curious about that. Let me just say I have been a VERY BAD GIRL during this sale, but we cannot go to Capitolfest this year, so I have some money I put away that I can play with due to not getting to go to that annual film fest.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

You probably have the Val Lewton set with Cat People and the Preston Sturges collection with Palm Beach story, and without getting the Sturges set out I cannot answer for Palm Beach Story. However, I have the Lewton set nearby and it looks like "Curse of the Cat People" and "Cat People" share the same disc. I just REALLY HATE rebuying a movie. I still have some time before the sale ends, but I am seriously eyeing "Only Angels Have Wings".  I bought the Cary Grant set about 11 years ago that had that film in it, but I don't believe there were any extras.  The Criterion version has a documentary on it entitled "Howard Hawks and His Aviation Movies, a new program featuring film scholars Craig Barron and Ben Burtt", and I am really curious about that. Let me just say I have been a VERY BAD GIRL during this sale, but we cannot go to Capitolfest this year, so I have some money I put away that I can play with due to not getting to go to that annual film fest.

I have the Criterion Only Angels Have Wings, and it was a double-dip for me as I had the old Sony DVD, but the new version was well worth it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I have the TCM Val Lewton set.  My copy of The Palm Beach Story is actually in the 4-movie Claudette Colbert collection that TCM released a few years back.  They also have a Barbara Stanwyck collection, but that one is harder to find.  I think Amazon has it.  I wish that TCM had continued this series.  Perhaps the TCM Greatest Classic whatever collections took the place of this "Showcase" collection.  I have Only Angels Have Wings as well.  I don't have the Criterion.  I have the TCM Vault release.  I honestly forgot this movie was on Criterion.  Maybe for November's sale.  I don't like buying duplicates either, but I like having the extra documentaries.

275299.jpg 0025192194832_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

• Like 2

I actually just purchased something on tcm.com.  

Right now, they have the "Joan Crawford of the 50s" box set on sale--cheaper than Amazon.  Then there is a Labor Day coupon that can be stacked on top.  Even with shipping (which I wouldn't pay through Amazon), it's still cheaper.

This set comes with: Harriet Craig, Queen Bee, Autumn Leaves and The Story of Esther Costello.  'Esther Costello' is the only film I haven't seen.  I loved Harriet Craig and Autumn Leaves, so this set was definitely worth it.

I also purchased The Big Heat from tcm.com, because they had it on sale and it's sold out on Amazon! 

• Like 1

The only purchase that I've made recently was the new Blu-ray edition of the Creature from the Black Lagoon Universal Horror Legacy set. I was wondering, since there are only 3 Creature movies, if they would add anything to make it as large a set as the other ones (Dracula, Wolf Man, Frankenstein, Mummy, Invisible Man), but the only additions are 3-D versions of the first two Creature movies.

61MN7IttQiL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

• Like 1

WB Shop is having a Labor Day sale...

I also just picked up:

-Beauty For the Asking (1939) Lucille Ball & Patric Knowles

-The Enchanted Cottage (1945) Dorothy McGuire & Robert Young

-Pride of the Marines (1945) Eleanor Parker & John Garfield

-Voice of the Turtle aka One For the Book (1947) Eleanor Parker & Ronald Reagan

• Like 2

Yesterday I hit up two of my favorite used DVD stores in Portland.  I came away with a few treasures:

-Rebel Without a Cause.  I actually already had this movie, but my copy sustained some flood damage a couple years ago.  This is a replacement copy--the exact same version I had too! It was the 50th Anniversary 2-disc version.

-Murder on the Orient Express (1974).  This was pretty cheap so I was like why not?

-The Jetsons Season 1.  I do like cartoons.  I want to collect The Flinstones and The Jetsons.  Those were my favorite Hanna Barbara cartoons.  Even though they're essentially the same show, just a different era, they're both entertaining.  I believe The Jetsons was made in the 60s and the 80s.  I remember a lot more of the 80s episodes than the 60s ones.  I loved the movie, The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones when I was little. I prefer both of these cartoons over Scooby Doo, Where Are You?.  My dad has Jonny Quest.  

-The Old Dark House (1932).  While I'm not the biggest horror fan, I've found that I really like the James Whale Universal horror films.  I love the style.  I think Whale's films and Vincent Price are my favorite horror. This DVD I got is the Kino release.

-Midnite Movies: The Comedy of Terrors & The Raven.  This Vincent Price/Peter Lorre/Boris Karloff double feature should be good.  Lol. I liked The Comedy of Terrors even though it was completely ridiculous. 

-By the Light of the Silvery Moon.  I really liked this Doris Day/Gordon MacRae film.  I wish I would have found the sequel, On Moonlight Bay.

-The Kid (1921).  I found this Charlie Chaplin silent film.  This film is so cute. 

-Scarlet Street.  I loved this Fritz Lang film.  This is public domain, so I hope the quality is decent. I tend to not buy public domain films--unless it's the only version available.  Then I do a lot of research to see which version is the best. I see Kino has a version, which is probably the version I should have gotten.  Well it was only $5. We'll see. 

• Like 1

Well I got 2 Criterion for Christmas: “The Lady Vanishes” and “I Married a Witch.”  I’m especially excited about “The Lady Vanishes,” that’s the one I wanted the most! 

• Like 1

Criterion put up a page today on their website that lists all of their releases from the past year (63 in all).

These are the titles that I picked up from the list throughout the year:

O4mn7lXmAaCzdLtUmSqBHAKHJBQW3P_small.jpg   L9AQ95Y7z2vOIUf1ntwvpZsZx3kp8B_small.jpg

6FwvYWuz6xnPFlvRp09yb9QhzTIIu7_small.jpg  Gicsoj0cO0g4i7a78Otic6zVhZKTv7_small.jpg

8wjCmfEsUYDCaRrqZIuYAVESsbelL4_small.jpg  Y63fOFkLXE5VXEUnbLcGZMqYfU5NRL_small.jpg

AviAMLQTTTBrVvmfpiblXCNpkIDwdP_small.jpg  Ayry8QwcAWWRZhyaMkSpzG3TSZ9JoJ_small.jpg

lun1ptGstEhxOhmc24pORDXEVkN2Ve_small.jpg  M2SseBDqHqhbAX1r730ezWGJFjcTxE_small.jpg

tBlNZHb7Ql0lqLZJxG3JbJaFVnQCrd_small.jpg  yTno3yh9uP29CmG2cCQCo4nt4fDpWb_small.jpg

NGlO5lUTrsZN3usOFgwxTBaFHTOtGq_small.jpg  OzG6BN23qL1kXhOnhBESXJrBnzRJSK_small.jpg

1PLK62AeGm2pF75m2eTnvsLfQB6DAe_small.jpg  mfE5h7pgzwr9SO0RFazOZnxXa0kGPB_small.jpg

RUqaCF7gTbmoOh7aDl4yQV3R8wsgzF_small.jpg  1xw1IyFisGyE1qcyYVvxGWy8nUZv89_small.jpg

KzkULFHCmg1KGSgM6OAm6LQUONSDWJ_small.jpg

Of the 2018 releases, I got only these two:

The Awful TruthThe Magnificent Ambersons

I own Heaven Can Wait, but mine is a DVD.  It looks like Criterion released it on Blu Ray.  I also have My Man Godfrey, but not Criterion.  It's the Universal release.

Other Criterion I procured this year:

The Lady VanishesSullivan�s TravelsI Married a WitchTo Be or Not to BeThe Palm Beach StoryThe Breaking Point

Cat PeopleValley of the Dolls

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Other Criterion I procured this year:

I honestly couldn't tell you all of the ones that i got this year, but it was a lot!

I also bought Cat People this year, and while I don't have Valley of the Dolls, I do have Beyond the Valley of the Dolls!

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I honestly couldn't tell you all of the ones that i got this year, but it was a lot!

I also bought Cat People this year, and while I don't have Valley of the Dolls, I do have Beyond the Valley of the Dolls!

I love Valley of the Dolls.  I saw it for the first time on TCM when it premiered a couple years ago (I think during the Susan Hayward SOTM?) and loved it.  It was a movie I'd heard a lot about and I wanted to see it.  I was such a nerd I didn't realize what "dolls" were until I watched the movie.  I always figured that "dolls" referred to the girls in the film! Lol. Patty Duke was my hero in that film.  There is something about the late 60s aesthetic that I love, which probably explains why "Match Your Mood" is my favorite of the TCM shorts ("The Wonderful World of Tupperware" runs a close second). 

I just get a couple movies here and there during the 2 Barnes and Noble Criterion sales, so it was pretty easy to remember.  I did get a Barnes and Noble gift card from my secret Santa at work, so I may use that to go towards another Criterion.  I wanted to wait and see what I got for Christmas so I didn't buy a duplicate. I think I may either get The Princess Bride or Some Like it Hot. But who knows? 

• Like 1

Well, we're nearing the end of the first month of 2019, and I've purchased four Criterion discs so far. I received an early (nearly a month so) gift card birthday present, and got three foreign titles that I've been wanting:

717+ISlHw1L._SX342_.jpg

51mMuVHdjZL._SX342_.jpg

268x0w.jpg

I also have this one coming in this week:

81gZfF7bNaL._SX342_.jpg

Next week, I have two more older movies coming in, one not a Criterion release:

81BQeUVl5KL._SX342_.jpg

81Sgf1cgPOL._SX342_.jpg

• Like 1

I just picked up the following:

-A Letter From an Unknown Woman. I loved this movie when I borrowed it from the library. I love true, intensely romantic films. 

-I worked on my Fox Film Noir collection and picked up Fallen Angel, Dangerous Crossing and Moontide

-I finished my double feature about the Winfield family and picked up On Moonlight Bay. I’ve found that I really enjoy the pairing of Doris Day with Gordon MacRae. 

• Like 1

I took advantage of the Criterion sale on Tuesday and purchased the following: All That Heaven Allows, The Sweet Smell of Success and Notorious

• Like 2

Purchased Cornell Wilde's 'The Naked Prey' for a fellow outdoors enthusiast

So I'm in the Bay Area for work and they have the most amazing used DVD stores here.  While waiting for check-in time at my hotel, I went to 2 DVD stores, both in San Jose, both on the same street! S Bascom Ave is the place to be! Anyway... both stores had a section labeled Classics, which was amazing.  Both stores also had a dedicated Criterion section which was also amazing.  

I may have gone a little insane, but sometimes, if you see something, you just have to get it, or you may never see it again.  Especially since I don't live here and would maybe get to go to these stores 1-2x a year (depends how many times I get sent to the Bay Area).  I can tell you that Austin, TX was a dud for used DVDs.

Anyway, I managed to find:

-Meet the People.  I know this is a MOD movie and it'd be easy for me to obtain, it's not often you find these movies in the used DVD area.  I like this musical featuring Lucille Ball and Dick Powell.

-A Barbara Stanwyck Double Feature: To Please a Lady and Jeopardy.  I haven't seen To Please a Lady, but I loved Jeopardy

-Kino release of Pitfall featuring Dick Powell and Lizabeth Scott. The Kino release was only $5!

-Kissin' Cousins.  This Elvis movie was really dumb and not nearly as good as my favorite, Viva Las Vegas, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. 

-Night and the City. Criterion release.  It was only $7.95.  $7.95!!

-Best Foot Forward.  This isn't even one of my favorite Lucille Ball films.  But it was only $5.  Call me a completist.  Lol. 

-Honolulu.  This Eleanor Powell musical would NEVER make it in today's culture, but I love Eleanor Powell and enjoyed this film.  It's also another MOD movie.

-Ace in the Hole.  Another Criterion film and it was only $9.99.  $9.99!

Then I worked on my Fox Film Noir Collection.  I didn't pay more than $10 for any of these.

-House on Telegraph Hill

-No Way Out

-The House on 92nd Street.

I haven't even seen these Fox Film Noir films, but I've been trying to collect the series.  The second DVD store I went to actually had a lot of these Noir films, but I already owned most of them.  They had 2 copies (2 copies!) of Nightmare Alley.  I've never seen this film for sale anywhere.  I had to get my copy online.  I also saw Moontide.  Another film that I had to buy online. 

• Like 1

So the WB Shop is having a 4/$44 sale for their 10th birthday... and it was just pay day on Friday.  I went on there like, "oh, I'll just get 4 movies."  

Apparently that didn't work out.  In my defense, many of these purchases will create space on the DVR... So that evens it out, right?

I got:

-Five Came Back.  I've been wanting to get his Lucille Ball movie for a long time.

-Where Danger Lives/Tension.  This is a double feature.  I haven't seen the first film, but I loved Tension

-The Unsuspected.  This was a great noir starring Claude Rains.  This film, along with Tension, made me a fan of Audrey Totter.

-The Mask of Dimitrios.  This was a great movie! Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet are such a great team.  I also really like Zachary Scott.

-Born to Be Bad.  This was an interesting film featuring Joan Fontaine in a different type role.

-The Two Mrs. Carrolls.  I really liked this film featuring Barbara Stanwyck and Humphrey Bogart.

-A Girl, A Guy and a Gob.  I've been wanting to add this Lucille Ball movie to my collection forever.

-George Washington Slept Here.  This Jack Benny/Ann Sheridan film was really funny.

-The Unfaithful.  This movie is a remake of The Letter, and I really liked it.  

• Like 1

I just bought My Man Godfrey, Swing Time, and I Married a Witch on Criterion Blu Ray. Believe it or not, the only other Blu Ray I have is "My Fair Lady." I decided to only buy old movies on Blu Ray so as not to amass a large quantity of physical copies of movies, and then get other movies digitally. 

• Like 1

For my birthday yesterday, I was gifted two films: Julie (with Doris Day) and Cry Danger with Dick Powell.  I'm looking forward to the Criterion sale in a week or so!

• Like 3