Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

132 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

For my birthday yesterday, I was gifted two films: Julie (with Doris Day) and Cry Danger with Dick Powell.  I'm looking forward to the Criterion sale in a week or so!

Happy belated birthday, speedracer. May your dreams be graced by visions of Errol Flynn and Lucille Ball.

• Like 1

Woohoo pay day yesterday.  Last night, I went to downtown Portland and hit up one of my favorite DVD/Record shops.  I found quite a few treasures--pretty inexpensive too!

-Let's Make it Legal. Marilyn Monroe movie that I don't think I have (I really couldn't remember if I had it, but it was only $2, so I gambled on it)

-As Young As You Feel. Another Marilyn Monroe film that I don't have.

-The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers. A non-public domain release, so I was fairly confident it'd be good quality

-Black Widow. Another piece to add to my collection of the noir released under the Fox Film Noir banner.

-The Set-Up. A Robert Ryan/Audrey Totter noir that I really enjoyed.

• Like 1

I took advantage of (and will continue to do so until it ends) Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion sale. Today, I bought the Criterion blu rays of "Sullivan's Travels," "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," "Carnival of Souls," and "Night of the Living Dead." The first 2 I've seen a couple times each and enjoy, and the latter two I watched recently, and was so thoroughly impressed with them that I had to add them to my collection. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I took advantage of (and will continue to do so until it ends) Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion sale. Today, I bought the Criterion blu rays of "Sullivan's Travels," "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," "Carnival of Souls," and "Night of the Living Dead." The first 2 I've seen a couple times each and enjoy, and the latter two I watched recently, and was so thoroughly impressed with them that I had to add them to my collection. 

I'm going to Barnes and Noble this week to take advantage of the sale.  Gotta make my list.  I'm sure I'll make a few purchases of Criterion until the sale ends!

• Like 1

I went a little crazy this month, so I'll have to lay low next month... shh! Except for maybe the Criterion sale. (Don't tell my husband.  Lol.  Well really it doesn't matter, it's my money). 

Anyway, I just picked up:

Odds Against Tomorrow

Criterion: David Lean Directs Noel Coward. I got this on Amazon because it was the same price as it is right now at B&N.  I had a credit on my Amazon account.  I really only got this collection for Blithe Spirit.  I already owned Brief Encounter, so I guess I have two copies now.  The other films I think I have on my DVR, but I haven't seen.  I suppose those films I can delete now.

Trapeze. Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, and Gina Lollobrigidia.  I love this movie.  It's been living on my DVR for like a year now.  I can finally delete it.

I Walk Alone. A noir with Lancaster and Lizabeth Scott that I enjoyed.

A Double Life.  I absolutely loved this film that I borrowed from the library a couple weeks ago. 

House of Bamboo.  Another film to add to my Fox Film Noir Collection.  In my defense, I bought this used.

Somewhere in the Night.  Another film I am adding to my Fox Film Noir Collection.  This film was also used.

*I think I only have 5 films left to acquire for my Fox Film Noir Collection (The Street With No Name, House of Strangers, Shock, Fourteen Hours, and Road House). 

And just so I wasn't totally selfish, I ordered my husband a work hat so he doesn't have to wear a hairnet (how exciting for him) and my bird got a rope ladder and a chandelier (with bells!) for his cage! 

• Like 1

I just procured Seasons 1-3 of Beverly Hills, 90210.  Some episodes are missing from Hulu.  It is disappointing that much of the original music has been replaced with generic music, but I suppose I will replace my DVDs if a better collection is released.  I've got my husband hooked on the show.  He was pretending to not be interested, but now he's learned all the characters' names, their current situations, and now he's put out if I watch an episode without him. We have 3 episodes left of season 3 on Hulu.  We're going to finish the season, then I'm going to go back and rewatch seasons 1-3 with the DVDs, so I can catch the missing episodes in the context of the story.  It is a teen soap opera afterall, so the episodes have continuity. My husband can catch up on each character's backstory via the DVDs. Lol.

I also purchased the new collection of the colorized episodes of I Love Lucy. All 16 colorized episodes are included as well as a documentary about the colorization process. 

I also recently got my own copy of Criss Cross.  That was a fantastic film. 

I was out and about in Portland last week, I managed to find the following:

Road House- #26 in the Fox Film Noir Collection.  I believe I'm only missing 4 films in the collection.

Magnificent Obsession- On Criterion. I've been looking for this forever.

To Kill a Mockingbird- I loved this movie when I saw it for the first time earlier this year during one of the TCM Fathom events.  The DVD I found was even one of the fabulous Universal releases where the DVD case looks like a little book.

Birdman of Alcatraz.  My husband and I watched this movie a couple months ago and loved it.  It has everything: true crime, Burt Lancaster, Edmond O'Brien, birds.

On the Beach. I really liked this dystopian story about imminent radioactive poisoning coming to kill the last people on earth.  Fred Astaire, in a non-dancing role, was especially excellent. 

O Brother Where Art Thou?. I saw this movie back in the day when it came out and loved it, especially the soundtrack.  I can't believe I didn't already own this film.

Alas, I was unable to find seasons 4-10 of Beverly Hills, 90210

• Like 1