Sign in to follow this  
Natalie Webb

Surprising Silents

3 posts in this topic

I watched Nosferatu (1922) for the first time yesterday. I was a little surprised, it was not what I expected; I'd heard a lot about it, and it was very different from what I imagined. I am often surprised by silent movies, either it will end in a way I didn't expect, or it will be something entirely unexpected. For example, Male and Female (1919) was not at all like I thought it would be, the ending came about in a way I didn't think of (trying not to give anything away for those who haven't seen it). Cobra (1925) was another that had an unexpected turn of events a the end; I did not expect a star like Valentino to end like that, but I'm glad he did, it was the perfect ending for that film.

What silent movies have surprised you? This can be a surprising scene, ending, dialogue, or a movie that turned out nothing like how you thought it would!

• Like 1

Not sure if it was surprising, but the ending of CITY LIGHTS was a very memorable one and I've never forgotten it. It's my favorite silent film.

• Like 1

Not sure if it was surprising, but the ending of CITY LIGHTS was a very memorable one and I've never forgotten it. It's my favorite silent film.

Very cool! One of my very favorites, Cobra (1925), had an ending that was unforgettable and so powerful, I love it when movies do that.

• Like 1