Sign in to follow this  
msladysoul

Would You Call Jennifer Lopez- The Rita Hayworth of her time?

15 posts in this topic

I heard someone called Jennifer Lopez, the Rita Hayworth of her time, I was about to throw up. Rita was talented, had sex appeal but she left something to the imagination.

Jennifer just trashy to me. Women actresses today aren't glamorous anymore, they don't wear furs and have diamonds all over and their hair beautiful anymore. Hollywood stars use to dress beautifully at the awards, now they dress like their going out to the park. I don't look up to todays stars. I think the classic beauties are better.

People can't be comparing J.Lo. to Rita Hayworth! That's just not right!

Last fall "Jersey Girl" was being filmed 5 minutes away from where I live. The local papers raved about how Ben Affleck and George Carlin were extremely friendly and easy-going to the watching fans and how they made such a terrific impression on the locals. All they ever said about about "J Lo" was that she also was in the film... "Nuff said?"

this reminds me of the era when Madonna was red-hot and she was being called "The Marilyn Monroe" and the "Jean Harlow" of her time--all because she'd dyed her hair platinum. Same thing about J-lo. That nasal, Bronx twang grates on my nerves. Rita Hayworth and her ilk were one of a kind who'll never be duplicated. Dying your hair and having a multi-million dollar PR firm pushing you onto mag covers equals nothing but hype but zero magic.

Oh, Patypancake, this girl's voice has been bothering me too. I thought I was the only stick-in-the-mud whose inner voice cried "Elocution lessons, elocution lessons, elocution lessons!" each and every time I hear Ms. Lopez speak!! She hurts my ears...oh, please let one of this girl's handlers give her some real advice about that flat, nasal voice. I don't know if she can evolve into a good, adequate actress, but at this point, she's way too famous for her own good. Then again, so was poor Rita.

Otherwise, let's compare:

Rita Hayworth:

Signature role-"Gilda" (one of the most sensuously photographed movies ever),Warm Persona, Dazzling smile, Great dancer, Glorious hair, Partnered onscreen, (& off, in some cases), with Orson Welles, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire and, oh yeah, Glenn Ford.

Jennifer Lopez:

Only decent movie to date-"Angel Eyes" (mostly due to soulfulness of Jim Caviezel), Good Dancer, Annoying Omnipresence in media, Self-Aggrandizement writ large, Plastic Diva attitude, Lucky to be partnered onscreen with George Clooney, Jim Caviezel, and, oh yeah, Ben Affleck (Glenn Ford for our time, I fear.).

Both ladies have or had, beautiful, womanly figures, by the way. Okay, I usually don't pop off like this, but this topic got to me...maybe it ought to be under "Hot Topics"...:-)

I guess I can stand that nasal Bronx twang since I am from Brooklyn.

And....oh, that fabulous bottom!

Mongo

Being African-American, I'm use to seeing beautiful bottoms. The African-American race is known for it. I guess since Jennifer Lopez is the first person who isn't Black to have a nice behind, its talk about. But Serena Williams behind is beautiful and talked about also.

I'm sure we won't hear from Jennifer Lopez in the next five years. Something about stars today is- we get sick of them fast. Stars don't stay big long, like Joan Crawford and Lana Turner who was famous for 5 decades to till their death. I just couldn't compare her to Rita Haywoth. No way, Rita was beautiful and really talented and could really dance. Today's dancing is just filth, shaking your behind and going down to the ground its dancing. I think today's so-called dancer need to watch Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Eleanor Powell, Ginger Rogers, and Ann Miller. Anyone who compares today stars to the classic stars need to be shot, there's no comparison. I don't know what it is. It must of been something in the water back then. Becausd they actresses back then did anything in their power to be beautiful and great.

In my humble opinion, anyone who is inclined to compare Jennifer Lopez (or any part of her anatomy) to Rita Hayworth, has been watching too many movies on channels other than TCM too much of the time. I mean, really...get a grip!

Great topic, swngsoul!

Hawyorth and Lopez do have a lot in common; both have sculpture-perfect Hispanic features, both wield powerful feminine charisma on the screen, and both convey a sensual physicality through dance.

Neither Lopez nor Hayworth have ever gotten critical accolades for their movie performances, probably because their personae appeal to the cinema-loving masses, not the wordy intellectuals who write reviews.

Contrary to what some have implied in their posts, Hayworth is not the ageless sex symbol she is because of her modesty(!), her real-life friendliness, or her flawless acting technique. Her performance in Gilda is spectacular despite the poor writing and brittle characterizations. Hayworth leaps off the screen in three dimensions, filling your living room with her husky voice, tossing her luxurious hair, and gyrating hypnotically during her jazzy strip-tease.

Lopez's best screen work has been in music videos, such as her current single "I'm Glad" and "My Love Don't Cost a Thing" from her last album. Her only good film roles so far have been Steven Soderberg's "Out of Sight" and the Latin pop star biopic "Selena." Despite her media ubiquity, she obviously still has a lot to learn about packaging herself and finding challenging roles. If her last films are any indication, her acting is getting worse. At age 32 (she will be 33 on Thursday) with her star nearing its inevitable apex, we can only hope that she finds an immortalizing role like 'Gilda.'

I agree. For example, you can go to a mall in any major city and see lots of women in the same league as Jennifer Lopez. But good luck finding one that could stand next to Rita. There is no comparison.

Jennifer is popular today, but will quickly become a minor memory as time goes by.

frankly, the only thing i would call jennifer lopez is a cab...to get her as far away from me as possible.

okay, that was mean. honestly, there is only one rita and there is only one jennifer. i'm not a jlo fan but i do think she's got it within her to actually act, 'out of sight' was proof of that. but to compare her to rita? i don't think so. maybe the only way we will be able to bear this out is make the comparison 20 or so years from now and see if the jlo has lasted.

I agree with you flashandthedevil and noirstar212, we will never know until 20 years from now if she's really good or if she can stay popular since she is getting at that age, where women in Hollywood are called old and are replaced. Jennifer Lopez is getting and doing roles that looks like a 20 or 21 year old would do. At age 32 women would be doing more challenging roles, like Rita Haywoth was doing at her age.

"JLo" just don't have the "flow" like my Rita. Rita was one of a kind, and she had something that JLo doesn't - class. I like Jennifer Lopez - I mean seriously - what man wouldn't? She is very beautiful, and does have SOME talent, just not enough to warrant her being immortalized at such a young age. But Rita was just better - she had something about her that jumped out at you - I guess it was her personality along with that incredible beauty of hers - she just had the star quality that JLo seems to lack. But in our society today, there aren't any "stars" like the ones that we know and love, and there probably never will be again. So in my opinion, there's really no comparison.