Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

[i]Summer Stock[/i], (1950)

23 posts in this topic

I've never seen this one before, but with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland I have high hopes. It comes on tonight so I'm really looking forward to it. Any comments on it? I don't know anything about it...

I don't know anything about it either, but I'm like you, I have high hopes. Kelly and Garland are two of my favorite musicals stars. Based on your comments on The Pirate, which I also haven't seen yet, gives me even more reason to look forward to it. Even better, one of my favorites The Harvey Girls is on right after. Should be a fun night.

I'd personally recommend Yolanda and the Thief a bit more enthusiastically, I think it took more artistic chances... but I always enjoy all MGM's musicals, especially the Technicolor ones! =D

i think you'll enjoy it. It's not particularly innovative, but it's a light, entertaining small-scale MGM musical.

It was Judy Garland's last film for MGM, and the plot (at the urging of Judy's kid sister, Gloria DeHaven, a theatrical troupe, headed by Gene Kelly, invades Connecticut farmer Judy's barn to put on a show) actually hearkens back to the sort of film Judy made with Mickey Rooney 10 years earlier. Rooney, in fact, was reportedly producer Joe Pasternak's first choice to play the male lead, until the studio realized that his box office appeal had faded dramatically since his BABES/ANDY HARDY glory days of the late 30s/early 40s.

While the plot may not be innovative, the film does contain some stylish and memorable musical numbers, including Judy's classic "Get Happy" number, Gene Kelly's memorable dance (utilizing a squeaky floor board and a newspaper) to "You Wonderful You," and what may be Garland and Kelly's best and most demanding dance duet, "The Portland Fancy." The Garland-Kelly onscreen chemistry is as palpable as ever, and although they're generally a good 10 years too old for the roles the play, the supporting cast, including Phil Silvers, Hans Conried, Marjorie Main and Carleton Carpenter, play their roles with spirit and seem to be enjoying themselves.

I think you'll have a good time watching it.

Thanks for all your comments... I think I am really going to enjoy this one!

Brad... LOL You might like The Pirate... I liked it because the chemistry between Garland and Kelly was like dynamite! It is a little odd in places... :)

It's absolutely great; in fact it features some of Garland's and Kelly's best work. Stylish, visually sumptuous and enormously entertaining.

Poor Brad... :( But I'm glad you're ok. I missed it last night, too... But luckily I set the recorder. I could burn you a copy if you want to see it... I haven't seen it yet, I'll watch it tonight. :)

I just watched the movie... Personally, I loved it. Gene Kelly was particularly in good form. RO's intro was a bit of a downer (*lol*) but loved the dances and songs! Especially the unique one with Kelly, the newspaper, and the squeaky board... They were a bit old for the roles, weren't they? This was obviously a very sad time for Judy Garland, though.

HI I WAS READING YOUR POST AND WONDERED IF YOU WOULD BE WILLING TO DO ME A COPY OF THIS FILM ON TO DVD FOR MY MOTHER WHO IS DYING TO SEE THIS AGAIN I AM WILLING TO PAY YOU VIA PAYPAL OR PPPAY FOR YOUR TROUBLE AND OF COURSE THE DISC & POSTAGE IF YOU CANT THANKS FOR JUST READING THIS AND HAVE A GOOD WEEK

REGARDS

JIMMY

Yes, as a matter of fact the Summer Stock DVD was released less than a year ago, and it is absolutely marvelous! The picture quality is obviously much higher you could hope for when watching it on TCM.

It also comes with a bunch of really great bonus features, including a 15-minute documentary about the making of the movie, and how it fit into Kelly's and Garland's career, as well as the casting decision that led to Kelly making the movie instead of Mickey Rooney. Also you get an MGM short, and a MGM cartoon, and the film's trailer and teaser.

Last night was my first time ever seeing the famous movie that I heard so much about Summer Stock. I found myself, loving the music and lyrics. The chemistry between Garland and Kelly was amazing. I love how Kelly can use his eyes as a way to express something. Even with a straight face you could tell his character was falling for Garland's character, by just his eyes.

When Robert Osborne spoke about how Judy was skinner in that number. I was suprised, I actually watched the movie again and noticed that. Plus, I have to say bigger or not, I thought Judy looked great.

You know, I thought this one was OK upon first viewing it... And now it has just totally become a real treat for me with multiple viewings. Two scenes are actually some of my favorites of any GK flick:

The one where Judy is in the kitchen of the farm house and starts to dance, pretending to be Kelly's character. You can really feel the chemistry when he comes in without her knowledge and watches her dance.

The second is when Judy is singing after finally setting the date for her marriage. I love how the camera zooms out to let us see GK leaning back in the chair, listening in. Then the whole talk about "not walking in the field again" is really romantic... Sigh.

I do want to see it again, maybe wait a little while so it seems fresh again, but definitely there are very many moments of great chemistry here and JG and GK made so few movies together!

I have to say that Friendly Star is one of my favorite songs that Judy Garland sang. The way she sang it and how much it meant to her touches me everytime. And to agree with everyone, I also loved Gene Kelly's tap number with the floor boards and the newspaper. That would have to be near the top of my list for dances (number 1 being James Cagney's tap dancing down the White House stairs in "Yankee Doodle dandy")

Friendly Star is the song Judy Garland sang outside (with Gene listening without her knowing)

The song in the barn where Gene Dances around her was You Wonderful You

Oh, yes, I remember - it was a very poignant song, one of the best in this lovely MGM musical. I really hope to see it again soon, I can never get enough of GK & JG together! B-)