Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

"West World" (2016)

6 posts in this topic

This is a great looking show and there are some intriguing ideas. I like the way they tweak the original movie just enough -  but I'm still not sure how this can be a long running series .

This is a great looking show and there are some intriguing ideas. I like the way they tweak the original movie just enough -  but I'm still not sure how this can be a long running series .

Well after they do West world, they do east world,   north world,  south world,  the underworld,,,, you get the idea.

I'm watching this show, although I'm 2 episodes behind now (I have them waiting on the DVR). The production values are terrific. They match anything on the big screen. The characters are a little bland at the moment, especially the behind-the-scenes human workers (although Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright are both great actors), but this may be a slow-burn where the characters take time to gel. There are a lot of characters to keep up with, as well. Ed Harris is the most interesting so far, as the mysterious Man In Black who seems to be operating with an entirely different agenda than anyone else in the show.

As far as the series longevity, from what I read recently, if you recall from the film, there were different realms within the park: Westworld, Romanworld, Medievelworld, Futureworld in the sequel. The plan is that this first season will be one complete story set in the Westworld section, and additional seasons would take place in a different section. However, I wouldn't hold my breath, as I've also read that the show is enormously expensive, one of the most expensive ever, and the reception thus far has not been as great as HBO had hoped. With the buyout from AT&T on the horizon, they may cut the show to help the books.

I'm watching this show, although I'm 2 episodes behind now (I have them waiting on the DVR). The production values are terrific. They match anything on the big screen. The characters are a little bland at the moment, especially the behind-the-scenes human workers (although Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright are both great actors), but this may be a slow-burn where the characters take time to gel. There are a lot of characters to keep up with, as well. Ed Harris is the most interesting so far, as the mysterious Man In Black who seems to be operating with an entirely different agenda than anyone else in the show.

As far as the series longevity, from what I read recently, if you recall from the film, there were different realms within the park: Westworld, Romanworld, Medievelworld, Futureworld in the sequel. The plan is that this first season will be one complete story set in the Westworld section, and additional seasons would take place in a different section. However, I wouldn't hold my breath, as I've also read that the show is enormously expensive, one of the most expensive ever, and the reception thus far has not been as great as HBO had hoped. With the buyout from AT&T on the horizon, they may cut the show to help the books.

There is also a new T.V. show related to Time Travel;   Shows like West World and ones that feature time travel have lot of options as it relates to various settings.

But with this new West World I don't see how they can have the robots revolt time and time again in each 'new' world being featured.

There is also a new T.V. show related to Time Travel;   Shows like West World and ones that feature time travel have lot of options as it relates to various settings.

But with this new West World I don't see how they can have the robots revolt time and time again in each 'new' world being featured.

The assumption can be made that potential future seasons wouldn't be the same plot repeated. So far into this season, the plot's a little more complicated than just the "robots go haywire" story as it was in the film. 

That other show is Timeless.  I tried giving it a shot, but wasn't thrilled with the first couple of episodes, and I have too much to watch as is, so I cut it from my schedule.

They have to stretch the robots go crazy story line - here the reasons are more complex than in the movie.   In the film series they barely mentioned the other worlds - the third film was suppose be set in "Dino World" but obviously Michael Chrichton wrote " Jurassic Park " instead.