Sign in to follow this  
ricky1

Marge & Gower Champion Movies

5 posts in this topic

Would like to what Movies besides Showboat,Give a girl a Break,Lovely to look at(which I wish they would show on TCM),that they were in.I Lovely to Look at was a remake of Roberta with Keel ,Grayson,& Red Skelton & had wonderful dance scenes. I'm sure they made at least one more but don't know the name or year.

You're out of luck with this duo, I'm afraid. Though skillful and talented, Marge and Gower Champion came into musicals as musicals themselves were indeed on their way out. Below is a list of appearances where the two did their pas deux. The film you're probably thinking of is Jupiter's Darling - an abysmal musical starring Howard Keel and Esther Williams. Not recommended unless you enjoy watching endless rows of multi-colored elephants parade past a camera. Don't ask - don't tell!

The Dancers (1956) TV Episode

"Front Row Center" (1 episode, 1955)

Three for Tonight (1955) TV Episode

Jupiter's Darling (1955)

"The Red Skelton Show" .... Cameo (1 episode, 1954)

Deadeye at the Golden Nugget (1954) TV Episode .... Cameo

"Lux Video Theatre" (1 episode, 1953)

A Bouquet for Millie (1953) TV Episode

Give a Girl a Break (1953)

Everything I Have Is Yours (1952)

Lovely to Look at (1952)

Show Boat (1951)

NZ -----Thanks for the info.Give a Girl A Break was'nt that great,but they were good. Ididn't know about Everything or Jupiter. Thanks.

Marge and Gower appeared opposite Betty Grable in THREE FOR THE SHOW at Columbia studios in 1955. The plot is perfectly silly, but the film contains some wonderful musical numbers by Jack Cole that look especially good in CinemaScope. The duo also guest starred in the 1950 Bing Crosby film MR MUSIC at Paramount. All of these films plus the MGM musicals (minus Show Boat) have appeared on laserdisc but sadly still not yet available on DVD.

You're out of luck with this duo, I'm afraid. Though skillful and talented, Marge and Gower Champion came into musicals as musicals themselves were indeed on their way out.

Sad, but true. :(