Sign in to follow this  
Tygra

Who Likes Danny Kaye?

124 posts in this topic

For some odd reason I didn't like "White Christmas" which is strange because the cast is top notch. Maybe I'll have to watch it again to appreciate it.

I too like the "Sisters" number from "White Christmas."

Someone on one of the musical threads said that the scene wasn't supposed to be in the movie, but Bing and Kaye were goofing off behind the cameras after the serious version of the song was filmed, and the director (Michael Curtiz) thought that this was so funny that it should be in the film, so they rewrote the script and put in it.

You know, somehow that doesn't surprise me. That sequence (as suesueapplegate pointed out..) looked like it was one of those things that was thrown in (because of how funny it was); and they enjoyed it so much, it comes across on the screen that way.

metsfan, I do suggest watching it again sometime. But when you feel in the mood to give it another chance. I know that, when I was younger, it was hard for me to get into older movies. As I got into Danny Kaye, I found that I liked all his movies (among other older movies). White Christmas is a traditional Christmas movie for me, now (along with It's A Wonderful Life).

Thanks for the suggestion Tygra. I'll give it another chance and hopefully enjoy it in a quiet enviornment this time. That way my full attention is devoted to the film.

You're welcome, metsfan. Hey, the posting is great, y'all! Keep it up! This is great! I love to hear everyone's stories about Danny Kaye, and how they like his movies.

I must say that Danny Kaye is definitely one of the most talented comedians/actors I've ever seen. He's an absolute wonder man!

He's adorable. "An Evening with Danny Kaye" will always remind me of happy Sunday afternoons of my younger days, as I replayed the tape until it wore out...I can't believe it's still not out on DVD!

I loved Kaye in White Christmas and Secret Life of Walter Mitty. But my English fastforwarded through the musical numbers in Mitty :(

Well, I enjoy The Secret Life of Walter Mitty but I do think it's an uneasy mixture of DK's style and James Thurber's original material as well as his sensibilites. I can't say that I think much of the songs, it's been only a couple of months since the last time I watched it and I can't for the life of me remember any of the songs in it.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but when I first read the story (that's why we were watching it in English) I pictured Mitty as a black man. For the life of me, I don't know why, but that's the image that popped into my head.

If I remember right, cinemascope, An Evening With Danny Kaye was a tape that my Dad has where Danny conducted an orchestra and various humorous anecdotes were enacted. If it's that one, then I agree. It is pretty funny, and I like it as well.

Honestly, malkat, when I was supposed to read the book in English, I had already seen the movie, so I already had Danny in my head as Mitty. But, you know, I can see a black man being the part. I think everyone (as cinemascope had said) could relate to this story, and could be any american man. I can't say as to why you had that picture in your head, however. I personally relate to this character just because of the fact that I am a huge daydreamer, and used to be worse.

Hi Tygra, Great thread. I absolutely love Danny Kaye movies. He was extremely talented at everything he did. My favorites just happen to have Virginia Mayo and Vera Ellen in them. I noticed people were having difficulties finding his movies on DVD, if you try Ebay most of his movies are on DVD now and at very reasonable prices. I have some good memories of watching his movies on the Sunday afternoon matinee when i was young. You know there are great actors, comedians, singers and so on but Danny Kaye was great at all of them and I don't think we will see someone as talented as him again.

Thank you, Buzzy, for your compliments. It's really everyone else's input and replies that make this thread great... and I appreciate every reply. And I agree with you, as well, that there probably won't ever be anyone like him again. It would have been awesome to be able to see these movies at the matinees. It must be great to have that experience to draw on. I tend to be wary of some of the deals on Ebay or other places, just because of the fact that one movie might be of less quality, and another might be a raw deal... but still, it's good for a try! I think I might check it out, anyway. Thanks for the input! Hopefully we'll talk to you soon...

"Knock On Wood" is one of Danny's all-time best, written by the great team of Panama & Frank...almost as good as their "Court Jester." Danny's a ventiloquist with two dummies named Clarence & Terence. It's a shame that this hasn't been shown on TV in a decade.

> metsfan, this movie sounds like it's alot of fun. I

> am always amazed at how well he can imitate accents

> and facial expressions so well! He had to have been

> a geat person to gain the guest stars' admiration so

> much. I still need to see this tape...

Well, my friends, you won't find a more staunch supporter of Danny Kaye's talent than me. Danny Kaye was the lord almighty in Brooklyn when I was a girl - he was adored, and could do no wrong as far as the populace was concerned.

However . . . . .you might be a bit disappointed in him if you read any biographical material. Apparently, he wasn't the sweetest peach on the tree. And it seems that the farther along in life he got, the more insufferable he became. His obnoxious behavior, both on and off stage, during his last Broadway show is "legendary" in the entertainment industry. I saw an interview some time ago with Madeline Kahn, who was in that show, and although she made an attempt to be polite and civil about her experience, it was evident from what she said (and did not say) that she thought Danny Kaye was a pig.

Don't believe everything you see on TV. There were a great many of his co-stars who, although they wanted to work with him because of his great abilities, didn't care all that much for him personally. I recall once instance I read about in the news, during the run of his TV show. The actor/comedian Godfrey Cambridge, who was a very smart and trenchantly funny standup, was a guest, and most of his routine wound up on the cutting room floor, as they say, because Danny was unhappy with all the laughs Cambridge got. I don't think professional generosity was one of Danny's strong points.

I do think the man was something of a genius at what he did, and sometimes geniuses have a hard time behaving themselves in socially appropriate ways. In his case, I can separate the man from the performer, and I continue to think him one of the world's great entertainers.

Does anyone else have any input for their favorite Danny Kaye movie? Has anyone voted for some of Danny's movies on the database? Any info on these anybody?