Sign in to follow this  
Natalie Webb

Halloween/Scary Silent Movies!

2 posts in this topic

Halloween is coming up and one of my favorite things to do around this holiday is watch scary movies! There are so many wonderful films to watch around Halloween, however, some of the best scary movies often get overlooked. There are many frightening silent films that are absolutely perfect for this time of year! The silence almost makes creepy scenes even more terrifying! Here are two of my personal favorite scary/thriller/suspense silent movies!

1. The Lodger: A Story of The London Fog (1927) This early Alfred Hitchcock movie is full of suspense and keeps you guessing. The plot focuses on a string of "Jack the Ripper" type murders happening in London. A mysterious lodger (Ivor Novello) arouses suspicion and people begin wondering if he could be the killer! 

2. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) John Barrymore's convincing acting along with some very eerie special effects combine to make this classic tale thoroughly chilling and a perfect Halloween movie. This film contains an early performance by Nita Naldi; this is the film that helped her gain some recognition.

What are some of your favorite "scary" silent movies (this can be anything you'd watch around Halloween: mystery, thriller, suspense, horror etc.) ? :)

Well, you have to include The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919) and Nosferatu (1922). I would add Waxworks (1924), Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922), The Golem (1920), The Phantom of the Opera (1925), and some of the imagery in The Phantom Carriage (1921). Many other Lon Chaney films have some great horror visuals, but often his films fall more into melodrama than outright horror.

• Like 2