Sign in to follow this  
classicsfan1119

Film Composers

10 posts in this topic

A few of us have already mentioned the "Dean of Film Score Composers", Max Steiner's beautiful score for "Now, Voyager".

I'm wondering if we could get a listing of some of our favorite film score/soundtrack composers, and the movies you remember them for, going here?

My personal favorite is David Raskin's score for "The Bad and the Beautiful" - especially the ending, where it starts slow and keeps building - it's a beautiful, sweeping piece of music that adds a lot to this great film.

You might want to check out an earlier thread listed under Favorites entitled "Favorite Film Composers". There's alot of different composers discussed there.

My all time favorite: Bernard Herrmann. Not necessarily for his Hitchcock themes, but also for such scores as "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", and, really, all his 20th Century Fox work. This music stands on its own beautifully.

Hi Moirafinnie. Thanks for letting me know that the topic of "Film Composers" has already been discussed here. I went back to when you started the last discussion on Oct.14, 2002 and read all of the replies.

Forgive me if I "stepped on your toes"...I'm new here, and assumed that there might be other new members who would like to contribute to this discussion along with those of you who've been around for a long time (smile).

I was happy to see that at least one person in your earlier thread mentioned John Barry. He's another of my very favorites.

My toes are fine! Welcome to the board---I just hoped that you'd enjoy reading the entries and I know how hard it is to find former threads on this website since TCM "upgraded" the place about 6 months ago.

I'm glad to read that you like John Barry's work too. I love John Barry's scores for "Out of Africa" and "Somewhere in Time". I saw him interviewed on Bravo years ago. He mentioned that the melancholic beauty of the "Somewhere in Time" theme (borrowed from Rachmaninoff, of course), may owe something to the fact that he wrote the score immediately after the deaths of both of his parents. He implied that their symbiotic relationship was similar in its romantic, "I-can't-live-without-him" quality to that of the film's central characters. Apparently, his mother died within months of his father. Having lived for decades together, they weren't truly able to function in this world together without one another.

Interesting that this same man could write the wonderfully flashy and energetic music that we identify so closely with James Bond movies like "Goldfinger" too. The guy certainly has range!

Moira

Have to agree with you Moira. Besides the terrific Hitchcock scores, he also did the wonderful music to "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Farenheit 451" His last work, "Taxi Driver" showed that he was still great to the end. Check out the ominous 3 notes at the end of the credits as we see Travis Bickle's cab speed into the night and you just KNOW that murder and insanity are still loose.

I'll list a few that come to mind at the moment...

Victor Young--born in Chicago! I just love "Stella By Starlight" from The Uninvited(44).

Max Steiner--So many wonderful compositions for so many movies! Gone with the Wind, Casablanca,Dark Victory, Johnny Belinda to name a few.

Selected works by Alfred Newman, Franz Waxman, Miklos Rozsa.....

I'm sure there are more that I'll think of later!

Darn it! Once again I have not been able to detect when a new post has come in, and it's driving me nuts! I love that song myself, Stella, and many others Victor Young has composed.