Tisher Price

Fave "Swan Song" Movies--Name an actor, Name His/Her Last Movie...

42 posts in this topic

​John Barrymore (d. 1942)

​Playmates (1941)

​Unfortunately, his last movie was his worst movie ever. By the time he finished the movie, he was suffering from liver damage and pneumonia. This movie made this one time distinguished actor, a caricature of himself, making a fool of himself.

Yes, it's a difficult film to watch if you're a fan of JB. But it's still not a horrible performance, and I think Patsy Kelly is rather good as his "agent."

​Greta Garbo (d. 1990)

​Two-Faced Woman (1941)

She's very out of place in this film, and it's easy to see why she called it quits-- if this was the best kind of script MGM could come up with for her. After NINOTCHKA, they probably thought she could keep going in comedies, but this production makes the previous hit look like a fluke. Maybe she needed to be directed by Lubitsch again.

​Vivien Leigh (d. 1967)

​Ship of Fools (1965)

She gives a very good performance in this picture, though she is not the main draw. Simone Signoret probably was a bigger star at that point.

​James Dean

​Giant (1956)--posthumously

​Great movie! He definitely would have been sought after to do more movies because of his wonderful performance in Giant. but of course we will never know...

What potential, lost.

​James Cagney

​Ragtime (1981)

​Cagney died on Easter Sunday in 1986. He was plagued with a couple illnesses, complications to diabetes and he could dance no more after Ragtime.

He liked doing musicals and it's no surprise he came out of retirement to do one more. 

It must have been filmed just before his tragic death... or was it during? He died in '66. I never understood how Clift died... did he have some kind of heart problem and his body seized up or something? He was found in his underwear on his bed, he was seated up but fell over. He also suffered from depression?

I believe Montgomery Clift had completed THE DEFECTOR shortly before he died. He was supposedly signed, or else in talks, to do REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE which came out in '67 (Brando replaced him).

TCM airs THE DEFECTOR sometimes, since it's one of the WB films they have access to...but Clift looks very sickly in it. He should have been in a hospital, not on a movie set. I'm not certain what all his ailments were in his final days. But he was not well. THE DEFECTOR is a sad end to a great career.

​Spencer Tracy (d. 1967)

​Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)

​Tracy died a few days after the film was completed. Katherine Hepburn also was in the movie with Sidney Poitier. I always feel sad when Spencer Tracy makes a lengthy speech about how John Prentice (Poitier) and his daughter were blessed with finding each, and falling in love, approving of the wedding. Viewers know now that Spencer passes away days later knowing he's living on borrowed time. Katherine Hepburn's character has tears in her eyes as she watches Spencer Tracy, a man she loved was so close to death, and yet with his fraility he delivered the his last lines ever with a strong, affirming voice.

​Norma Shearer (d. 1985)

​Her Cardboard Lover (1941)

​The once "royal couple" (After "Pickfair" died down.) Norma Shearer and Irving Thalberg, who was top brass at MGM (?) After Thalberg's death, Norma kind of slipped into reclusion, and depression the rest of her life.

​Steve McQueen (d. 1980)

​The Hunter (1980)

​He had contracted lung cancer due to Asbestos poison while filming a movie, the setting was laced with bacteria and asbestos. He began to suffer from Mesothelioma, the cause of his untimely death.

​Spencer Tracy (d. 1967)

​Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)

​Tracy died a few days after the film was completed. Katherine Hepburn also was in the movie with Sidney Poitier. I always feel sad when Spencer Tracy makes a lengthy speech about how John Prentice (Poitier) and his daughter were blessed with finding each, and falling in love, approving of the wedding. Viewers know now that Spencer passes away days later knowing he's living on borrowed time. Katherine Hepburn's character has tears in her eyes as she watches Spencer Tracy, a man she loved was so close to death, and yet with his fraility he delivered the his last lines ever with a strong, affirming voice.

In some ways, it's a difficult film to watch because if you look carefully you can see he's dying on screen. The scene where they drive around together-- he seems very sickly.

​Norma Shearer (d. 1985)

​Her Cardboard Lover (1941)

​The once "royal couple" (After "Pickfair" died down.) Norma Shearer and Irving Thalberg, who was top brass at MGM (?) After Thalberg's death, Norma kind of slipped into reclusion, and depression the rest of her life.

It's been said her mind was totally gone the last ten years of her life, if not longer. She was not well at all, probably unrecognizable compared to how she looked during her peak at MGM.

​Steve McQueen (d. 1980)

​The Hunter (1980)

​He had contracted lung cancer due to Asbestos poison while filming a movie, the setting was laced with bacteria and asbestos. He began to suffer from Mesothelioma, the cause of his untimely death.

I always feel saddened by how his life ended. I think he went to Mexico to find a cure and died down there. He was such an energetic force in his movies of the 60s and 70s. He should have lived much longer than he did.

Don't know if it was his very last film, but I love Burt Lancaster in 1980's ATLANTIC CITY.