Sign in to follow this  
movielover11

Brando Documentary on TCM

332 posts in this topic

Just read this today - I'm looking forward to this Brando documentary that TCM will air in early May. Thank you TCM for this upcoming documentary. Is anyone else going to watch this?

Late, great movie icon MARLON BRANDO is to be honoured by his friends and peers as part of a new two-part documentary to air on TV in America in May (07). JAMES CAAN, AL PACINO, MARTIN SCORSESE, ANGIE DICKINSON, EDWARD NORTON and DENNIS HOPPER will join family and friends to reminisce and pay tribute to the ON THE WATERFRONT star in BRANDO. The revealing documentary will also feature never-before-seen footage of Brando at work and play, and a series of rarely-seen in-depth interviews with the actor. It will also look at Brando's involvement in civil rights and features interviews with Native American leaders and Black Panther officials, who the movie legend worked with and befriended. But the real highlight of the documentary, which will air on the Turner Classic Movies network on 1 May and 2 May (07), will be an interview with SACHEEN LITTLEFEATHER, the Native American actress who took the stage at the 1973 Academy Awards to reject Brando's Oscar for THE GODFATHER.

Really looking forward to it... had heard something about it but thought it was supposed to air in the fall.

Does it mean MB is SOTM in May? That would be kewl =D

I hope so!!!!!! Brando as Star of the Month would be so great!!!!!

This documentary on Brando seems very interesting - can't wait to see it.

I guess TCM couldn't keep the horse in the barn, so to speak. When this production was first announced, it was "listed" with a "Fall 2007" premiere date.

And I would be very surprised if Marlon Brando wasn't named "Star Of The Month" to accompany the premiere of this documentary.

(Hopefully TCM will now table the retro "Lite Brite" displays of Brando film quotes as a means of promotion.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/us/01boston.html

Kyle In Hollywood

No star-of-the-month for Brando in May - two nights of his films, but May is a busy month. It's the 100th birthday for both John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn, so those two will both be SOMs then (first time we have 2 in one month). Also it's Olivier's 100th, so a 24-hour tribute to him. Also a documentary on the Cannes film festival.

It's the 100th birthday for both John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn, so those two will both be SOMs then (first time we have 2 in one month). Also it's Olivier's 100th, so a 24-hour tribute to him.>>

TCMProgrammr,

I've been hoping you guys would honor these greats in just this way in May. Last year when I was reminded that all three would be celebrating their centennial birthdays I responded by saying "Damn, TCM is going to have a busy month!"

Well, maybe TCM should have selected a month where it wasn't so "busy" so that Brando could have been Star of the Month when the Brando documentary is shown. Why lump him into a month where John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn and Laurence Olivier are being honored as Stars of the Month for their 100th birthdays? Surely this is not way to treat the greatest actor of our time.

Thanks though for compiling and showing this Brando documentary. I'm sure to tune in for it - just wish TCM would give this great actor his due for a change and make him Star of the Month.

Message was edited by:

twister

Message was edited by:

twister

Perhaps it is TCM's way of highlighting the top four greatest actors of our time.

I guess so lzcutter - but the other 3 are being Stars of the Month and Brando only gets 2-days of his films.

I like your way of thinking though!

tcmprogrammr wrote -

"No star-of-the-month for Brando in May..."

So much for my prognostication skills. Leave it to TCM to throw a curve ball in the month of May. Dual "SOM"s sounds like fun. Good job.

And I apologise for the "cheap shot" at the "Aqua Teen..." debacle. Needless to say, there are certain media outlets that aren't going to let the parent company of CNN off easy in this matter. My needless piling on was uncalled for and embarrasing especially after you took the time to clarify the plans for May.

Kyle (wiping the egg of my face) In Hollywood

Message was edited by:

hlywdkjk

I have been waiting to see what would come up in May and am very happy to hear of the tributes planned to all three stars' 100th birthdays.

I know you keep on top of special dates like these yourself, but I am wondering if it is at all possible my Challenge from a few months back highlighting Laurence Olivier and Katherine Hepburn's 100th dual birthdays in May (with an all-day tribute to Olivier on May 22nd) could have had anything to do with kindling the special tribute in May that you mention? I remember hoping they would both be named Stars of the Month.

Even if not, I am still very delighted that these stars get their well-deserved tributes. It's too bad Love Among the Ruins was a TV-movie, as it was the only film in which Olivier and Hepburn starred in together.

I'm glad Olivier and Hepburn can be "Stars of the Month" in May for their 100th birthdays - but isn't it possible to select a month for Marlon Brando to be "Star of the Month" as well? It kind of dilutes your "Brando Documentary" that you plan on showing in May as well - he should have a separate month as well.

Actually, the 2 SOMs are John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn. Since you could argue he's the most popular male star and she's the most popular female star, I'm very happy we can make both of them SOMs in May for their 100th (each will be across a week). As for Brando, he certainly deserves to be SOM at some point, and I hope and think he will be sometime.

edited for punctutation

Message was edited by:

tcmprogrammr

I'd rather see Olivier get a Star Of The Month since I'm not a John Wayne or Katherine Hepburn fan. As a matter of fact, these two are my least favorite actor and actress. Oh well, I guess I'll be doing other things in May

Katherine Hepburn and John Wayne as Stars of the Month for May seems interesting. What is a Star of the Month? Do they show their films for the whole month or just a certain part of each day?

I agree with some of the others that Brando should also be Star of the Month, (whatever that means), maybe TCM will do that in June. He certainly is so critically aclaimed and has long been viewed as the "greatest American actor", I'm surprised TCM hasn't already had Brando as a Star of the Month.

Cinemascope, I take it TCM can't play movies made by Fox? Well, there certainly is enough Brando films to make him a Star of the Month. How about showing On The Waterfront, Streetcar Named Desire, Julius Caesar, The Wild One, Sayonara, The Fugitive Kind, The Godfather, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Men, Bedtime Story, One-Eyed Jacks, Night of the Following Day, Candy, Guys and Dolls, Last Tango in Paris and Missouri Breaks for a start???

I would love to see Viva Zapata, but since you mentioned it's a Fox movie, I guess we are out of luck on that one. I have the Young Lions on DVD - excellent film as well.

Message was edited by:

twister

twister wrote -

"What is a Star of the Month? Do they show their films for the whole month or just a certain part of each day?"

Hi there twister -

Each month TCM salutes the work of a single Actor or Actress with a special collection of their films on the same night of the week during that month. Last month (January) Jean Arthur was the "Star Of The Month" and every Tuesday evening featured her films. It is a great gift to fans of certain stars to be able to see so many of their favorite performer's films in one fell swoop.

TCM tries to show as many of the star's films as possible each evening. Sometimes it may be 5 or 6 films a night, other times it can be many more. Last year "Star Of The Month" Bette Davis' films filled a full 24 hours every Wednesday night/Thursday daytime during the month of May.

Besides a "Star Of The Month" event every month, TCM also programs other events of a month's duration or events covering just a night or two. In January, the work of composer Harry Warren was featured every Thursday evening. Last November, the director John Ford was a "Highlight" of the month. Othertimes TCM features a special thematic grouping of films to showcase during a certain night each week during the month such as last year's "Architecture In Film" salute.

TCM will often fill multiple evenings with other special events. About two Octobers ago, the films of Alfred Hitchcock were featured every night during the final week of October. Every Memorial Day weekend is programmed with War/Combat themed films.

As 'tcmprogrammr' wrote earlier in this thread, this coming May will be the first occasion that TCM will feature two Stars Of The Month - Hepburn and Wayne. He has also noted the schedule will turnover two consecutive evenings to the films of Marlon Brando and another "24 hour day" will salute Laurence Olivier that month. In May, there is also a new documentary premiering on the Cannes Film Festival (with a slate of films to accompany that event, I am sure) and there will be the annual Memorial Day salute again that month. May isn't just "full" of special events, it sounds like it is bursting.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle, I was wondering about that. Wasn't the month that featured Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy (together and apart) the first two SOTMs for one month?

filmlover -

I also noticed that discrepency in tcmprogrammr's description but then realized what is the unique aspect of these Stars Of The Month and will set this upcoming May apart.

While Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy were the first "pair" of performers saluted as "Stars Of The Month", they were featured on a single night each week. I think Katharine Hepburn and John Wayne will each have a night devoted to their films every week. That will be the difference for this event. There will be a Hepburn Night and a Wayne Night each week in May.

I wonder which one will get the screening of Rooster Cogburn?

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by:

hlywdkjk

For anyone interested, I believe this is the complete Press Release that TCM issued regarding the upcoming Brando Documentary and Salute -

(certain emphisis added by me)

Dennis Hopper, Quincy Jones, Edward Norton, John Turturro Join Star-Studded Roster of Turner Classic Movies' BRANDO, a Two-Part Original Documentary Premiering May 1-2

ATLANTA, Jan. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Angie Dickinson, Dennis Hopper, Cloris

Leachman, Quincy Jones, Edward Norton and John Turturro are among additions

to the line-up of peers, family members and childhood friends featured in

BRANDO, a new original two-part documentary premiering May 1-2, that sifts

through the mystery behind one of Hollywood's most-respected and celebrated

practitioners of the art and craft of acting. These actors and filmmakers

join an already impressive list, including Ellen Adler, Ed Begley, Andrew

Bergman, Bernardo Bertolucci, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Jane Fonda, Martin

Landau, Penelope Ann Miller, Al Pacino, Arthur Penn, Martin Scorsese, John

Travolta, Jon Voight and Eli Wallach.

Piecing together performances from throughout the decades with never-

before-seen footage and a series of original, in-depth interviews, TCM,

along with The Greif Company (Steve McQueen: The Essence of Cool), has

worked to unmask the man behind the exceptional talent, captivating persona

and apathy (and frequent aversion) toward his profession that was Marlon

Brando.

The film explores the challenges he faced in almost every personal and

working relationship throughout his life and highlights his most notable

performances, including Broadway's Truckline Cafe, which first gained him

major recognition; the phenomenon he created with A Streetcar Named Desire

(1951); the classical acting in Julius Caesar (1953), which silenced

critics who labeled him a "mumbler"; his awe-inspiring work in The

Godfather (1972); and what was arguably his most intimate effort on screen

in Last Tango in Paris (1972).

It also looks at Brando's involvement in civil rights and features

interviews with Russell Means on Brando and the Native American movement;

Bobby Seale, on his association with the Black Panthers; and Sacheen

Littlefeather, the Native American actress whose on-stage rejection of

Brando's Oscar® for The Godfather is the stuff of Hollywood legend. Other

interviews include family members and acquaintances that can shed light on

Brando's very private life.

Accompanying the two-night premiere will be a celebration of Brando's

work, including A Streetcar Named Desire; On the Waterfront (1954); The

Missouri Breaks (1976); The Wild One (1953); Guys and Dolls (1955); The

Teahouse of the August Moon (1956); and Sayonara (1957).

Turner Classic Movies, currently seen in more than 75 million homes, is

a 24-hour cable network from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time

Warner company. TCM presents the greatest motion pictures of all time from

the largest film library in the world, the combined Time Warner and Turner

film libraries, from the '20s through the '90s, commercial-free and without

interruption. The network also offers critically acclaimed original

documentaries and specials, including the recent Emmy-winning Stardust: The

Bette Davis Story and Steve McQueen: The Essence of Cool. In addition to

Brando, on the slate for 2007 are such original productions as Private

Screenings: Jane Fonda, Bienvennue Cannes and Spielberg on Spielberg, among

others. Please visit tcm.com for more information.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, is a major

producer of news and entertainment product around the world and the leading

provider of programming for the basic cable industry.

SOURCE Turner Classic Movies

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

Wow, a two part documentary! I wonder if it a two hour doc or a four hour doc? I can't imagine them cutting up a two hour doc to show over two days. However a four hour doc, that makes more sense.

If it is a four hour, two part doc, I think that is a first for TCM. I can't recall any other TCM commissioned four hour doc on a star or a filmmaker.

Sounds like a great documentary and am looking forward to seeing it because of all the people talking about Brando. If they use extensive film clips, it won't have been cheap to do, either.