Sign in to follow this  
movielover11

Brando Documentary on TCM

332 posts in this topic

lzcutter wrote -

"I wonder if it a two hour doc or a four hour doc?"

How about we split the difference and wager it is a three-hour documentary - two 90min sections. Section One covering the New York stage and Fifties/earlySixties film work with Part Two covering the Sixties "Activist Brando" and the resurrected "Actor Brando" and his film work in the Seventies forward.

My thinking is that middle Sixties to 1970 is a rather fallow period in the acting career of Marlon Brando so this section of the documentary will focus on his "outside" work as its subject more than the acting work. Adding that aspect to the achievments of the Seventies allows for a good balance in subject matter for a two-parter. Does that make sense? (It's just a guess. And I have been proven to be wrong on this subject alot.)

(BTW - Did you notice that Francis Ford Coppola isn't listed as a participant in the documentary? Now, that is interesting.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

Excellent analysis! I would wager (being the betting girl I am) that you are "on the nosey" with this one.

Good catch on FFC not participating. I wonder if FFC ever got over working with Brando in "ANow". I vaguely recall that FFC wasn't not thrilled about Brando showing up in the condition he did. FFC was expecting the Brando from their "Godfather" days. Of course, FFC was not in great shape during "AN" either.

I would hope they mended whatever fences between them before Brando passed away. Still, given the plethora of actors and filmmakers speaking of Brando, FFC seems very absent, especially since he wanted Brando for "Godfather" and Paramount didn't.

Either way, if it is more than two hours, I think Brando holds the title for biggest doc made about a star or filmmaker done by TCM. As TCM is financing, am hoping they were able to use a plethora of film clips.

If it is three hours (or more), I almost prefer this to him being SOTM, because they will still show some of his films and it is a chance for all of us to learn alot more about Brando the man, the actor and the influence.

Hoping, hoping, hoping....

I suppose it's possible that Francis Ford Coppola couldn't be bothered due to some ill feelings, but I'm betting his absence has more to do with his work on the upcoming Youth Without Youth that was shot in Bulgaria and Romania. There have been rumors up here in his neighborhood regarding his elusive behavior in the past couple seasons, but he assured locals that 1) there were no unusual problems with the shooting and production; and 2) making a movie takes a lot of time. He's been working long hours on post-production on this pre-WWII drama. I believe it's his first directorial effort in 10 years and he wants it to be right.

Kubrickbuff -

"Spielberg On Spielberg" is scheduled to air in July according to the press release from last fall. Yet, it seems the best laid plans of mice and TCM often go awry - i.e. "Brando" moved up to an April slot on the schedule. Don't worry. It will show up one of these days.

Kyle In Hollywood

> Actually, the 2 SOMs are John Wayne and Katharine

> Hepburn. Since you could argue he's the most popular

> male star and she's the most popular female star, I'm

> very happy we can make both of them SOMs in May for

> their 100th (each will be across a week). As for

> Brando, he certainly deserves to be SOM at some

> point, and I hope and think he will be sometime.

>

> edited for punctutation

>

> Message was edited by:

> tcmprogrammr

Not to go too far into the future, but is a Barbara Stanwyck tribute coming up this year? She'd be 100 in July, I think-- and she very much deserves one!

Thanks!

Thank you TCM for putting together the upcoming Brando Documentary to be shown on May 1-2. It sounds great.

I think Marlon Brando was the best actor I've ever seen - he had a magnetic, mezmorizing quality that just makes him so irresistable to watch. I find that even the films he made that weren't so good - were made better just by him being in them.

On The Waterfront and Streetcar Named Desire are my all-time favorite films - I never get tired of watching them.

I think so too Cinemascope. Marlon Brando is such a pivotal part of classic films, I'm happy TCM is putting together this documentary to honor such a terrific, influencial actor.

By the way, although some people don't agree - I think Marlon Brando was the sexiest, most handsome actor I've ever seen. He was stunning to look at in his prime. I think he was the most authentically handsome classic actor - but of course that's just my humble opinion.

The only dissapointment I have is that it is not a Three Part series on Brando followed by a gigantic Marathon of his movies that last for days and days!

Thanks for the dates of the doc on marble mouth. I sure hope my other channels have something good on to watch and enjoy. With all the great actors and actresses that have never received recognition for their work, you would think the classic movie channel would do homage to them before seeking someone like him. Sorry if I offend you but how about a documentary on Red Skelton, Marjorie Main, Gregory Peck, or any other marvelous people who have entertained us for years? This clown can't even talk, much less act very well, IMHO, an opinion that is held by many others.

Anne

LOL Mrsl.....I had a feeling you'd post. I rather like good 'ole Marble Mouth....there are lots of people that like him too. Whether you like him or not, On The Waterfront and Streetcar Named Desire were great films and I could clearly understand him.

You never offend me - I respect your opinion - and hopefully you can respect mine too.

By the way - I love Gregory Peck too...I thought he was a bit "wooden" in some films - I found Brando to be so natural in a role - that it was almost like he was that character.

For me, Brando was the BEST and all other pale in comparison.

By the way, although some people don't agree - I think Marlon Brando was the sexiest, most handsome actor I've ever seen. He was stunning to look at in his prime. I think he was the most authentically handsome classic actor - but of course that's just my humble opinion.

Yes, he was, and he was also tremendously gifted. One wishes he'd made more movies during his career.

I think Brando's made more than enough good films to enjoy - especially in the 1950's. Of course I would have liked to see him make more films, but I think he raised the bar so high after Streetcar and On The Waterfront, that even he couldn't surpass that.

In regard to him being handsome - I think Marlon Brando oozed sexiness - the man makes me weak in the knees. I couldn't care less how many marbles he had in his mouth - I'd take him any day of the year.

I can't wait for this TCM documentary - it's about time TCM honored this gorgeous, talented great actor appropriately.

(there must be something in the water in Omaha that pumps out good looking men - Johnny Carson, Henry Fonda and Marlon Brando all came from Omaha, Nebraska).

(there must be something in the water in Omaha that pumps out good looking men - Johnny Carson, Henry Fonda and Marlon Brando all came from Omaha, Nebraska).

That's one of the most interesting theories I've heard in a long time... but Johnny Carson? He seemed looked like a very nice man, but I wouldn't think of him as particularly good-looking, not movie-star good-looking. ;)

Have you ever seen a young Johnny Carson? He was so boyish and adorable with the upturned nose and cute smile. I always thought he was a very handsome man. Time for me to visit Omaha, Nebraska.

To me it was always a face that was more closely associated with friendly TV host than with handsome movie star. Wonder if he ever thought of becoming a Hollywood star himself?

Old Marble mouth just happened to be the greatest actor on screen. ( Cagney a tie) Europeans called him the " Laurence Olivier of America". He set the standard for my favorite style of acting...Method. James Dean, Vic Morrow, Rod Steiger etc. were disciples of this staggering talent that was called Brando. I have no qualms of a documentary of Skelton; Main & Peck, as they all deserved it. I also think there should be a comedy duo's documentary which includes among others, Laurel & Hardy; Abbott & Costello and Martin & Lewis. But first let's play homage to the marble mouth King...Marlon Brando. I'm saying right now MRSL that you are going to watch it, how can you ignore royalty?

Bartlett

Wonder if he ever thought of becoming a Hollywood star himself? >>

Not sure what your criteria for star is but to many of us Johnny Carson was a Hollywood star. He hosted his late night show, performed in Vegas, hosted the Oscars and kept us laughing through some very traumatic times.

His face and voice were as recognizable as any classic era actor or actress.

To me a Hollywood star is someone who becomes a star doing Hollywood movies.

Johnny Carson in my view was a celebrity, but not a Hollywood star. Yes he did have a show in Los Angeles and he interviewed a lot of Hollywood stars. Yes he hosted the Oscars, but so did David Letterman (well at least once! :P )

And yes, he was recognizable, but as someone you see on TV, not in the movies.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a TV celebrity, at least not the way Carson did it.

Bartlett, you lose.

Everyone knows my opinion of marble mouth (Hi movielover), but I never watched anything about Diana either, no royalty, even real ones, impress me. But Hey, if you want to admire a stubby, chubby little pre-maturely bald gnome who can't speak English, that's your choice and you're welcome to it. He played the same part in every role he ever had, except in Julius Caesar where he just made a fool of himself, the tough, misunderstood whiner (oh woe is me!), who didn't know how to get out of his rut. Nope, I save my admiration for real actors, not some frump who critics and lots of other people say is so great. Personally I don't think he could act his way out of a paper bag, especially with all of his method and motivations. Like I said, that's me, I have no use for him. I still say there are a lot of more deserving people to do docs of.

Anne