Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

New Discovery May Shed Light on Amelia Earhart's Fate

41 posts in this topic

Castaway?

The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery posited last month that during her flight around the world, Earhart and her co-pilot, Fred Noonan, landed safely on the island of Nikumaroro in Kiribati, then known as Gardner Island, and died as a castaway. They say Earhart sent hundreds of transmissions calling for help, and that there is evidence of those transmissions being picked up in Texas, Florida, and Melbourne, Australia.

U.S. News & World Report > http://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2016-11-01/new-discovery-may-shed-light-on-amelia-earharts-fate

Castaway?

The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery posited last month that during her flight around the world, Earhart and her co-pilot, Fred Noonan, landed safely on the island of Nikumaroro in Kiribati, then known as Gardner Island, and died as a castaway. They say Earhart sent hundreds of transmissions calling for help, and that there is evidence of those transmissions being picked up in Texas, Florida, and Melbourne, Australia.

U.S. News & World Report > http://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2016-11-01/new-discovery-may-shed-light-on-amelia-earharts-fate

I wonder if she was hot like ginger and mary ann. :)

Amelia Earhart is the most famous woman in Kansas history.

She's one of the most outstanding women in American history.

She was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.

She disappeared while attempting to fly around the world.

In her lifetime she was the second most famous Aviator in the world, second only to Charles Lindbergh.

She's the only woman to have her statue in the Kansas Statehouse.

Your comment is totally inappropriate and unappreciated.

But oh so consistent with his character. No wonder he likes a sexist boor likeTrump.

• Like 2

Amelia Earhart is the most famous woman in Kansas history.

She's one of the most outstanding women in American history.

She was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.

She disappeared while attempting to fly around the world.

In her lifetime she was the second most famous Aviator in the world, second only to Charles Lindbergh.

She's the only woman to have her statue in the Kansas Statehouse.

I was only trying to be funny.

"I was trying to be amusing...have I failed?"-tyrone power

"somewhat...with me!" -basil rathbone

:( 

sheeesh! this is an off-topic forum.

you can't even be light-hearted around here without somebody taking offense.

I'm of a mind not to favor anybody with my sense of humor anymore.

you try that here and some just have to stomp on you and make you feel self-conscious.

I hereby apologize to TomJH and Princess of Tap if they found my remark disrespectful to the historical legacy of Amelia Earhart. if so I deeply apologize.

• Like 2

I hereby apologize to TomJH and Princess of Tap if they found my remark disrespectful to the historical legacy of Amelia Earhart. if so I deeply apologize.

You did nothing wrong Nip. Those people are more interested in finding something wrong with a poster and his posts, you in this instance, instead of discussing the actual topic.

:)

You did nothing wrong Nip. Those people are more interested in finding something wrong with a poster and his posts, you in this instance, instead of discussing the actual topic.

But, Jake - sanctimoniousness is such an attractive quality, doncha think?

:)

I know why they're so touchy, Jake.

they know who's gonna win next tuesday so they're lashing out in frustration. :lol:

"give that man a T&S cracker."

vy3vpe.jpg

But, Jake - sanctimoniousness is such an attractive quality, doncha think?

Better than someone so twisted in his hatred of the Clintons that he finds the thought of Bill Clinton having AIDS funny.

"Debating the actual topic"? Of whether Amelia Earhart was more of a "Ginger" or a "Mary Ann"? You're right, that topic is overflowing with the potential for deep and meaningful conversation. 

Nipkow made a dumb joke. Let's not inflate it too much one way or the other.

Like to know what was Amelia Earhart thinking, seeking an island in the middle of the Pacific that measures 1.7 square miles?

Howland Island, can you see it? :blink:

wrgz07.jpg

Howland_island_nasa.jpg

A few years ago, I was flying from Tokyo to Chicago. It's such a long flight.

I think it's three or four hours longer than flying from Paris to Chicago.

What seemed like an eternity in the middle of the night, I couldn't help but wonder if we were flying over the same island area where Amelia Earhart had been lost or near the Howland Island she was seeking. I doubt it because the Pacific is so vast. Just the same, I thought of her at that time.

Having flown over the Atlantic many times, I knew that Charles Lindbergh and his wife, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, had originally charted some of those air routes for commercial aviation.

I don't know if there are any aviators on this website, but I would be curious to know if any commercial flights fly over that Howland Island?

Like to know what was Amelia Earhart thinking, seeking an island in the middle of the Pacific that measures 1.7 square miles?

Howland Island, can you see it? :blink:

She did all this before global warming flooded us, so must have thought it was Japan.

• Like 1

Better than someone so twisted in his hatred of the Clintons that he finds the thought of Bill Clinton having AIDS funny.

What? You don't find justice for a rapist to be hilarious?

• Like 1

LOL

==

==

==

;)

What? You don't find justice for a rapist to be hilarious?

Your hatred of the Clintons warps your perspective. One, the rape charge against Clinton is an unproven allegation (just as there is also one against Trump regarding a minor). Two, there is NOTHING funny about someone dying of AIDS.

• Like 1

Most of the photos I've seen of her remind me of MICK JAGGER.  So I guess that's a NO!

But then, I'm not trying to be funny.  What happened to Ms. Earhart will, I suppose, always remain a mystery, and an undoubtable tragedy.  And I can understand some people's annoyance at your little "joke".

TRYING to be funny has always been your strong suit, Nip.  So has FAILING at it.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

It's the unexplained mysteries of history that seem to most inspire conversation, even fascination at times, depending upon the circumstance, and, of course, books searching for an answer.

I rather doubt that Amelia Earhart's name would be discussed as often as it is if it wasn't for the circumstances of her disappearance.

Speculations about JFK's death, who was Jack the Ripper, this kind of conversation will never leave us - unless there is ever a definitive answer, which seems highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Most of the photos I've seen of her remind me of MICK JAGGER.  So I guess that's a NO!

But then, I'm not trying to be funny.  What happened to Ms. Earhart will, I suppose, always remain a mystery, and an undoubtable tragedy.  And I can understand some people's annoyance at your little "joke".

TRYING to be funny has always been your strong suit, Nip.  So has FAILING at it.  ;)

Sepiatone

Underestimate Jagger's appeal to women at your own risk.