Sign in to follow this  
GGGGerald

50's Lifestyle

827 posts in this topic

Ah, the fifties....

A decade of repression, segregation and constant fear of nuclear war. When women were marginalized and allowed little, if any, autonomy in their life choices. Where the politics of the time functioned via means of threats, secrecy, dubious judgments, and an outright (and noted) lack of decency. When we were scared of the world and the world was scared of us, and- most importantly- a time when people knew their place.

Ah yes, back when America was "great." Wonder if we'll ever be able to make it so again?

• Like 6

Ah, the fifties....

A decade of repression, segregation and constant fear of nuclear war. When women were marginalized and allowed little, if any, autonomy in their life choices. Where the politics of the time functioned via means of threats, secrecy, dubious judgments, and an outright (and noted) lack of decency. When we were scared of the world and the world was scared of us, and- most importantly- a time when people knew their place.

Ah yes, back when America was "great." Wonder if we'll ever be able to make it so again?

..and the '50s were the start of rock and roll. Your turn.

• Like 1

...Local paper had an article this week on local car dealerships before 1960.  All were either family owned or by one individual.  Now most dealerships are actually owned by conglomerates, but have a "local" or "family" name on the sign.

Reminds me of all the times while riding in the family car as a kid in the late-'50s and early-'60 we'd drive past a couple of dealerships located in Redondo Beach and Torrance CA that had "Leon Ames Ford" in big block lettering atop the showrooms.

(...yep, the very same B-List actor we classic film fans know) 

• Like 1

DGF said: Wearing wet clothing can be a turn-on.

Not for me - uncomfortable!

My point is everyone thinks "things were better" when they come across changes they don't like: lack of manners, store's bland sameness, kids staring at electronics instead of physical activity, etc.

But with every devolution there is an evolution like: gender & racial equality, handicapped access, efficient energy, etc. It's so easy to forget all the progress because we take it for granted.

I loved the news story on election day of all the people who visited Susan Anthony's grave in Mt Hope Cemetary to put the "I Voted" sticker on her stone. She had worked so hard to allow women to vote. I take it for granted, my independence.

Just last night we were eating at a restaurant (local!) and MrTiki & TikiKid both had root beer while I had a Scotch Ale. Both of them were drinking from a bottle, while I drank from a glass.

I had pointed out that I was brought up NEVER to drink from a bottle-that was rude & uncivilized! But now it was wholly acceptable, even for a young lady to drink from a bottle.

And it also would be unacceptable for a LADY to drink beer, especially the only person at the table! Only a loose woman would drink alcohol, right?

Just a small social morality, but it illustrates how equal men and women are in the US, and how "manners" change. Now I actually LIKE the old manners, but think I enjoy my equality more!

• Like 2

"But with every devolution there is an evolution like: gender & racial equality, handicapped access, efficient energy, etc. It's so easy to forget all the progress because we take it for granted."--TIKI

I never do because one has to realize that much of the "evolution" you mention there didn't come about without much long and hard struggle.  And I'd only add that racial and geder equality are STILL works in progress.  So is efficient energy.

But, I get your drift. 

Sepiatone

• Like 4

Marty includes one of the rituals in some 1950s households, the whole family watching Ed Sullivan on Sunday night.

Bigger Than Life is another of the many 1950s films which includes watching television as a family activity. We learn from this film that New York City public school teachers were so poorly paid that James Mason needed a second job. So did Jean Simmons in This Could Be the Night.

• Like 2

Marty includes one of the rituals in some 1950s households, the whole family watching Ed Sullivan on Sunday night.

Bigger Than Life is another of the many 1950s films which includes watching television as a family activity. We learn from this film that New York City public school teachers were so poorly paid that James Mason needed a second job. So did Jean Simmons in This Could Be the Night.

I remember as a young kid, my parents wanted to see Sullivan, but I wanted to see Steve Allen. I had to lay down the law.... In the fifties, professional athletes were also poorly paid. They had jobs during the off-season. That's certainly not necessary in 2016.

• Like 2

It's a sure bet that any movie made in the '50's that DID show people in a family situation watching television, that they probably weren't eating DINNER in front of it.

Sepiatone

It's a sure bet that any movie made in the '50's that DID show people in a family situation watching television, that they probably weren't eating DINNER in front of it.

YES!

That restaurant we had visited had TVs in every direction! As a family we have decided to never choose a restaurant with TVs again. 

I am amazed giant TVs droning on with no one actually watching them is standard in so many restaurants and waiting rooms. Really? Americans need  passive entertainment" every second? Staring into their phones isn't enough?

Yeah, TIKI  I've rally only seen Tvs in places like APPLEBEE'S and CHILI'S  and other "cookie-cutter" places like that.  And they usually have them tuned in to some sports channel showing "the game".

I'm quite surprised nobody(that I know of) has opened a place with NO TABLES, just a collection of sofas and easy chairs with TV TRAYS placed in front of them to give people that "comfort of home" feeling!  ;)

Sepiatone

YES!

That restaurant we had visited had TVs in every direction! As a family we have decided to never choose a restaurant with TVs again. 

I am amazed giant TVs droning on with no one actually watching them is standard in so many restaurants and waiting rooms. Really? Americans need  passive entertainment" every second? Staring into their phones isn't enough?

Part of reason is to distract you from the long wait times in some restaurants, medical waiting rooms, auto repair places, etc.  For restaurants, it could be for benefit of those who eat alone.  

What bothers me is that 90% of the time they have the sound turned off, but do not enable the subtitles.  May work for sports, but sucks for news, regular programing, etc.

• Like 1

Sepiatone

NOT necessarily, Sepia. Remember "TV trays", and maybe a Swanson frozen TV dinner or two on 'em as the family sat around and watched maybe "Lassie" or "The Lawrence Welk Show" or maybe "The Twentieth Century" documentary series hosted by Walter Cronkite?...

1952_TV_dinner_thumb.jpg

(...although granted, offhand I can't recall any particular movie in which something like this might have been depicted)

• Like 2

Part of reason is to distract you from the long wait times in some restaurants, medical waiting rooms, auto repair places, etc.  For restaurants, it could be for benefit of those who eat alone.  

What bothers me is that 90% of the time they have the sound turned off, but do not enable the subtitles.  May work for sports, but sucks for news, regular programing, etc.

Well like I said, no place I've been to that has TVs up and running have nothing ELSE on but sports.  This might attract those sports "nuts" who enjoy watching the game while guzzling down a few gallons of BEER, which generally ISN'T cheap in those places.

Sepiatone

Many years ago brokerage firm offices would set up rows of chairs so clients could sit and watch the NYSE ticker. Now, they have on TV with CNBC and Fox Business. Our retail office has TVs set up with CC so passersby can stop and look.

NOT necessarily, Sepia. Remember "TV trays", and maybe a Swanson frozen TV dinner or two on 'em as the family sat around and watched maybe "Lassie" or "The Lawrence Welk Show" or maybe "The Twentieth Century" documentary series hosted by Walter Cronkite?...

1952_TV_dinner_thumb.jpg

(...although granted, offhand I can't recall any particular movie in which something like this might have been depicted)

I think the TV dinner was originated just so families COULD watch TV while eating together, which they did not do prior to this product.

I think the TV dinner was originated just so families COULD watch TV while eating together, which they did not do prior to this product.

This is probably true.

And not that there's any "family" involved in the following mentioned scene here, but I'll bet like me, when you think of a movie character eating a TV dinner, a certain young insurance company corporate climber comes to your mind TOO, and as he eats his TV dinner while hoping to catch GRAND HOTEL on the tube inside his NYC apartment, huh DGF...  ;)

tumblr_nnmv04gfjB1txihrro1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Well like I said, no place I've been to that has TVs up and running have nothing ELSE on but sports.  This might attract those sports "nuts" who enjoy watching the game while guzzling down a few gallons of BEER, which generally ISN'T cheap in those places.

Sepiatone

Places around here usually have one of the news networks, frequently Fox.  Don't know about bars as haven't been in one in decades.  Never seen a TV around here in a regular restaurant, just in fast food ones.

1952_TV_dinner_thumb.jpg

Back To The Future (1985), but no TV trays.  In the 1955 unit, the father rolled the TV over to the dinner table. 

BTTF%201955%20TV%20dinner.jpg

I remember TV dinners being quite the culinary style in the 80s though.

• Like 1

This is probably true.

And not that there's any "family" involved in the following mentioned scene here, but I'll bet like me, when you think of a movie character eating a TV dinner, a certain young insurance company corporate climber comes to your mind TOO, and as he eats his TV dinner while hoping to catch GRAND HOTEL on the tube inside his NYC apartment, huh DGF...  ;)

tumblr_nnmv04gfjB1txihrro1_500.jpg

His main problem was not with the commercials delaying the start of GRAND HOTEL, but rather the tasteless food.

His main problem was not with the commercials delaying the start of GRAND HOTEL, but rather the tasteless food.

Actually DGF, I thought Baxter's MAIN problem here was that Dobisch and his "date" showed up at his door unannounced while he was attempting to chow down?!

(...or am I mistaken here?)

I'm quite surprised nobody has opened a place with NO TABLES, just a collection of sofas and easy chairs with TV TRAYS placed in front of them to give people that "comfort of home" feeling! 

My buddy opened a small indie movie theater that has rows of easy chairs & couches with small end tables between. The sides of the room are lined with movie books in bookcases & hoosier cabinets filled with snack "fixins" like grated cheese & spices. Very homey.

When I was a teen, I loved the one evening my Mother worked and left me a Swanson's Hungry Man TV dinner! It was actually a fun treat for a kid - kids don't really care about food quality.

I'm starting to realize any restaurant that is populated with TVs is generally serving me a frozen meal. The sure fire way of knowing, is to ask for some variation, like no sauce or onions-they can't do it. $20 for a frozen dinner is no longer "fun".

Good point about waiting, ElCid....we never notice long wait times because we TALK to each other in restaurants. And Dr office waiting rooms is the best place for me to catch up on reading. Way better than in bed at night where I can only get in 3 pages before falling asleep!

And the old diner counter was popular for exactly the reason you state-those dining alone. Men on night shift could grab a quick meal and not feel strange about dining alone- they could enjoy the staff activity or visit with the waitress to keep them company.

Ah, no one's ever lonely now that there's cel phones....

• Like 1

. And Dr office waiting rooms is the best place for me to catch up on reading.

Me too.  There may HAVE been some important news item I DIDN'T catch two or three years ago!  :D

Sepiatone

Me too.  There may HAVE been some important news item I DIDN'T catch two or three years ago!  :D

Sepiatone

Not only are the magazines in doctor's offices old, but they are germ laden.  Read somewhere that there is a high concentration of germs on magazines in doctor's offices.  Why not, lots of sick people have read them.

• Like 1

Live in a 1949 Greek Revival house with formal living room. Seldom used, but during the spring, fall and Christmas holidays, I like to sit in it and read, drink wine (Sutter Home white zinfandel-not TCM) and listen to old music.

I also look at some old car books about cars from the 40's, 50's and 60's.  Publications International has some great ones. Cars of the 40's; 50's; 60's.  Cars of the 50's is the best.  Lots of pictures, ads, info re: the period, etc., but not overloaded with detail about the cars.

Right now, primary music is Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis, Anne Murray, Barbra Streisand, Mormon Tabernacle Choir for a few.

Also fairly recent, but great, recording by Martina McBride (Classic Christmas Album). Also Mad Men Christmas and Santa's Greatest Hits compilations.

In spring and fall, lot of Percy Faith, Ray Conniff and similar.